Howl's Moving Castle DVD Release

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Howl's Moving Castle (or Hauru no ugoku shiro in Japanese) was just released on DVD here in Japan.

The films director, Hayao Miyazaki, is a legend here so its no suprise that Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara had this big display setup outside the store.

howlsdisplay.jpg

It's a great movie, but I think I enjoyed Spirited Away a little bit more.
If you haven't checked out a Miyazaki film, get your ass to a video store!

Cool. Reminds me of something at a Disney ride except no movement, or was there. Anyways yeah I like Miyazaki anime films. Princess Monanoke is my favorite though. I it has everything from sword fights to creepy yet cute tree sprits

[quote name='karmapolice']Castle in The Sky is my personal favorite of his, but I have yet to see this. I totally missed it in theatres.[/QUOTE]

Everyone did, unless you're lucky enough to have a select theatre near you.

I got a preview copy of the DVD on firday, I Love the movie it has to be my favioret Hayao Miyazaki movie. The english dubbing was pretty decent, the cast of voices were really good.

Anyone have an idea on when it is coming out on DVD?

[quote name='thorbahn3']Everyone did, unless you're lucky enough to have a select theatre near you.[/QUOTE]

I was, Green Hills theatre in Nashville was showing it for awhile, but I didnt realize it had started.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Everyone did, unless you're lucky enough to have a select theatre near you.[/QUOTE]
Luckily I have a Landmark theatre right in my city. They're always good about showing independent movies and smaller run movies.

Man I wish I could spend just a day in Akihabara, or even Tokyo for that matter, to see something like this. Miyazaki is one of my favorite directors. This movie was awesome, though Castle in the Sky was my favorite. I got lucky and was able to catch it in New Haven back when it did the limited showing.

Sorta hijacking the thread here but all the pictures you've been taking in stores (like the ones with from your camera thread, and this one, and the woody train one) are they all from the same store? If they're not it seems like a lot of stores there in Japan are extremely well light yet very bland and uncolorful - sterile perhaps even.

Miyazaki isn't just a legend in Japan, he is a legend all over the world. I still think my personal favorite film of his would be Spirited Away.

No way Grave of the Fireflies (if you're talking Studio Ghibli) will make the hardest man cry like a 4 year old girl with a skinned knee. Still, though I'd probably agree Spirited Away is his best work, although for sheer enjoyment My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are really good too.

By the way someone mentioned the spirits from Princess Mononoke, if they have keychains would you send some my way?

Shit, I thought that Castle in the Sky = Howl's Moving Castle.

Oh well, now I'll just buy both.

I just got The Cat Returns, have yet to watch it. Miyazaki pwnz me.

For people complaing about not seeing shit in theaters I was lucky to catch "Princess Mononoke" and that's because a theater took a chance in presenting it and wasn't the typical theater chain around here. Unless it's under Disney, AMC, Dickinson and Fine Arts Group won't bother and make that a no for Fine Arts if it's Disney because they're part of the Art theaters bit. Also if Disney doesn't push the movie enough or release it here it ain't happening. Take "Whispers Of the Heart" for example. I think the movie came out between "Princess Mononoke" and "Spirited Away" and I never heard about it in theaters here really. For "Spirited Away" the dub isn't bad but when I watched the sub I had some real beef with what was lost in the process, the witch saying she HAS to give people a job that ask because of an oath she took, the other bath worker who worked with Chihiro, when she leaves for Haku and the boiler room worker and her have a conservation it's directly put out there she doesn't have a heart. "YOU wouldn't understand, it's called love." or maybe it was vice versa but the same accusation remained while in the sub it was totally absent and this is why I don't like dubs.
Haven't seen Howl's yet but I'll probably end up renting it online.

[quote name='Redeema']By the way someone mentioned the spirits from Princess Mononoke, if they have keychains would you send some my way?[/QUOTE]

Of all the lame bobble-head dolls which I've seen perched on people's dashboards, I'm amazed nobody has made an authorized Kodama doll. Not one with a head that bobbles, but one with springs so that you could "crank" its head a few degrees, counter-clockwise, and then release it so that a pebble inside would rattle loudly as the head rebounded.

An enterprising entrepreneur ought to make hand-made Kodama rattle-head dolls at a roadside kiosk on the road to Studio Ghibli's museum in Misaka, Japan. They could even tout irregularities as a bonus, since they're so non-uniform in the movie, as well.

Lets hope that the Howls Castle US dvd release follows in Spirited Aways footsteps. Spirited Away was the first US release Miyazaki film that wasnt totally butchered by MiramAxe. They ban importers from selling the asian release of films, then put out substandard versions with edits and changes made to suit 'american' tastes. WTF does that even mean? No amount of editing is gonna get someone to like Anime if they dont, and all they are doing is pissing off the real fans who would have bought the dvd. Luckily some knocked some sense into them and the Spirited Away dvd was great. But all my other Miyazaki dvds are imports.

[quote name='Redeema']No way Grave of the Fireflies (if you're talking Studio Ghibli) will make the hardest man cry like a 4 year old girl with a skinned knee.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I cried, and im not afraid to admit it. GotF is my favorite movie of his with Mononoke right behind.

[quote name='Danro']QFT. I cried, and im not afraid to admit it. [/QUOTE]

True that.

I'm a bigger fan of Mononoke Hime, personally. The epic music was a definite draw for me, along with the story line. And any movie with giant talking white wolves gets a big + in my book.

[quote name='Puffa469']Lets hope that the Howls Castle US dvd release follows in Spirited Aways footsteps. Spirited Away was the first US release Miyazaki film that wasnt totally butchered by MiramAxe. They ban importers from selling the asian release of films, then put out substandard versions with edits and changes made to suit 'american' tastes. WTF does that even mean? No amount of editing is gonna get someone to like Anime if they dont, and all they are doing is pissing off the real fans who would have bought the dvd. Luckily some knocked some sense into them and the Spirited Away dvd was great. But all my other Miyazaki dvds are imports.[/QUOTE]

You have to give them credit that they don't do remakes though, that's about the ONLY thing I will give them credit for there. Honestly I HATE how Dreamworks has to remake almost EVERY foreign property they buy, GOTS2 being the only one they haven't and "My Sassy Girl" is currently being butchered by them by being remade.

You sonsabitches made me go watch Grave of the Fireflies.

And, for the record, you're dead right about it. This wasn't any bullshit "feel-good story ending" tear or two. This was me trying (successfully) to hold back some fuckin' righteous-ass hardcore bawlin'.

I'm not ashamed. It's a hell of a movie, and one I wouldn't have watched if not for the recommendation here.

You know that's based on a true story right myke? If you liked that you may wanna watch "Barefoot Gen" which is based off one too but it's more inspirational. I will warn you though it IS graphic at times.

I didn't like Grave of the Fireflies, and it wasn't sad/depressing at all. Though I feel the same way about Requiem for a Dream and I love it just the same.

Spirited away is my current fave, but the only other one i've seen was Princess Mononoke, which was the first anime I'd ever seen. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that first battle with the possesed boar. the animation of the blobby skin stuff blew my freakin mind mang.

that said, i do wanna see howl's moving castle and grave of the fireflys.

man pom poko is bizarre, i cannot get over the testicles on the racooons, it is tooo freakkyyyyyyyy, why do they have testicles?!?!?!!!?:hot:

[quote name='CheapyD']I just watched Pom Poko...yeah...the whole testicle thing is really really wierd.
It's part of Japanese folklore for some reason. I don't really understand it.

This is a picture of the racoons using their balls as parachutes:
http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week/images/2005/pompoko-058.jpg
[/quote]

This article about tanuki is a hoot to read, especially the schoolyard (!) song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki

Personally, I loved watching Pom Poko have a lot of fun with shapeshifting scrotums. Did I just say that?

bread's done
Back