What's up with IGN's blatant Sony Fanboy article? (Link Inside)

orphicblue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

I wonder if Sony paid them to do this. I thought they were supposed to be an objective video game news site. I mean, its one thing to have an article prefaced by "the PS3 will rock because...", but theirs basically says "360 is for losers cancel your preorders because the PS3 is so much better because..."

I'm not a fanboy for either side per se (although right now I'm getting a 360 and not a PS3, primarily for financial and time-management issues), but this bothers me.

The next gen competition is pretty ugly, ain't it?

They always do articles like that on a channel that is not hosting a new system. I honestly don't think its a big deal at all and welcome it since the 360 channel is so full of hype for the system its nice to hear a different perspective on the same website, different channel.

Not to mention many of the points listed in the article aren't exactly certain or set in stone. I'll eat my hat the day initial boastings = the final product.

[quote name='megaseadramon']Yeah,we all remeber how the ps2 could play games with "graphics similar to Toy Story"[/QUOTE]

actually it was xbox. but sony made equally ignorant statements at the time too.

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-250632.html

Remember when Sony dubbed the PS2 as a "supercomputer"?

i remember when i heard that a ps2 could launch a missle. im not sure where i heard it though, but i always thought it was complete bullshit.

[quote name='2poor']i remember when i heard that a ps2 could launch a missle. im not sure where i heard it though, but i always thought it was complete bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Uh. It can...

... in SOCOM.

[quote name='Brak']Remember when Sony dubbed the PS2 as a "supercomputer"?[/QUOTE]

The PS2 was a supercomputer, as defined by US export laws, at the time. Exporting PS2s to non friendly countries could be considered treason due to the PS2's potential as a "dual-use" technology. Don't believe me, look it up, or hell, just watch the episode of law and order that makes fun of it. Anyway, by US government standards the PS2 WAS a supercomputer, so, technically, they weren't lying. As to the IGN article, they are about as unbiased as Fox News. Anything on IGN should be taken with a grain of salt. Gamespot isn't perfect, but at least they tend to tell it like it is. I don't always agree with their scores, but I don't remember ever finding anything in a review that wasn't actually true when I played the game, good or bad.

[edit] I just read the article. The only two points that have any merit AT ALL are 3 and 1. 3 remains to be seen, and 1 is absolutely meaningless if they use the tech to block renting/used games. Since it is almost a certainty that they WILL use the tech for at lease blu-ray movies, the only advantage it will be is larger capacity discs, but if MS makes the HD standard (for caching), it won't really be that big of an advantage, especially since I'm pretty sure the DVD drive in the 360 has a faster seek time than the blu-ray drive and the 360 has more ram.

[quote name='mietha']The PS2 was a supercomputer, as defined by US export laws, at the time. Exporting PS2s to non friendly countries could be considered treason due to the PS2's potential as a "dual-use" technology. Don't believe me, look it up, or hell, just watch the episode of law and order that makes fun of it. Anyway, by US government standards the PS2 WAS a supercomputer, so, technically, they weren't lying. As to the IGN article, they are about as unbiased as Fox News. Anything on IGN should be taken with a grain of salt. Gamespot isn't perfect, but at least they tend to tell it like it is. I don't always agree with their scores, but I don't remember ever finding anything in a review that wasn't actually true when I played the game, good or bad.[/QUOTE]

That's true... however, Sony (and fanboys) used that as a part of their marketing campaign. By all means, as far as I'm concerned, the Playstation 2 was not a supercomputer, even if by export laws it was considered as such.

[quote name='Brak']That's true... however, Sony (and fanboys) used that as a part of their marketing campaign. By all means, as far as I'm concerned, the Playstation 2 was not a supercomputer, even if by export laws it was considered as such.[/QUOTE]

The term "supercomputer" really just refers to a device's relation to what is available on the market at the time. My graphing calculator would have been a supercomputer in the 60s. But yes, I agree with you, and that's why it was so funny.

Almost every point is based on a feature that will probably be nixed before production:

10. Killer app ?- Killzone is a high profile killer app? metal gear is still just a movie? wait until halo 3...

9. dual screen and 1080p support ?- nixed to save production costs

8. expandability for every card and format ? doubt it. look for usb and memory stick only

7. pre-order? has anyone actually pre-orderd a ps3 yet ? sure...

6 seven player wireless support. right. as long as you buy a $40 add on, I'll bet.

5. eye toy 2 - Ok, fine. another $50 peripheral. My wallet's soft already from launch.

4. backward compatibility. Uh huh. "FULL" compatibility, right. Are we taking bets? And they'll make my ps2 games look better. Yeah, right, like when they said my ps1 games would look better too.

3. Stronger Japanese Developer Support. Check.

2. Metal Gear Solid. Check. Wait, wasn't this reason #10? I'm repeating myself.

1. Blu-ray. An un market tested format that could go the way of the betamax. were not sure yet.

All in all, a pretty lame list of reasons to wait for a ps3 full of conjecture, hope and prayer, and redundancy. As far as I'm concerned, it's all hype until we can actually see some real running hardware. At least MS has put their money where their mouth is. Sony just has mouth.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://ps2.ign.com/articles/089/089251p1.html[/QUOTE]

Then Iraq discovered what a bitch the PS2 was to program for without full developer support and tools from Sony so the whole missile launcher/dual use thing went out the window. They ended up training their armed forces to combat American forces by training them heavily on SOCOM.

Lot of good that did them.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Then Iraq discovered what a bitch the PS2 was to program for without full developer support and tools from Sony so the whole missile launcher/dual use thing went out the window.[/QUOTE]:rofl:

I read the PS3 article...and I agree with guardian_owl, none of that stuff is even close to being set in stone.

I guess the Sony writers at IGN are suffering from penis (i mean console) envy.

First, I think you guys are taking that list way too seriously. It was obviously written with a sense of humor. That said, a lot of what they covered I agree with anyway:

[quote name='bmulligan']Almost every point is based on a feature that will probably be nixed before production:

10. Killer app ?- Killzone is a high profile killer app? metal gear is still just a movie? wait until halo 3...[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Halo just a lame FPS for people who don't own PC's? :roll:

[quote name='bmulligan']9. dual screen and 1080p support ?- nixed to save production costs[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. But odds are it will at least support 1080i as its standard (whereas the 360 supports 780p standard and "upscans" to 1080i).

[quote name='bmulligan']8. expandability for every card and format ? doubt it. look for usb and memory stick only[/quote]

...and PSP. Did you miss that part? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do w/ the PS3 & PSP combined.

[quote name='bmulligan']7. pre-order? has anyone actually pre-orderd a ps3 yet ? sure...[/quote]

They said you still have TIME to preorder a PS3, whereas you're out of luck now on the 360. Not much of a point, more of a "no shit" really - but somehow you still argue it? :whistle2:?

[quote name='bmulligan']6 seven player wireless support. right. as long as you buy a $40 add on, I'll bet.[/quote]

Yea, because a wireless multi-tap makes sense. Wait a minute, no it doesn't.

[quote name='bmulligan']5. eye toy 2 - Ok, fine. another $50 peripheral. My wallet's soft already from launch.[/quote]

Yea, thank God the 360 doesn't have crap like this. I mean, besides the $20 thing to make the controllers rechargeable. And the upgraded remote. And the faceplates. And the wireless network adapter.

[quote name='bmulligan']4. backward compatibility. Uh huh. "FULL" compatibility, right. Are we taking bets? And they'll make my ps2 games look better. Yeah, right, like when they said my ps1 games would look better too.[/quote]

Yup, you got 'em here. After all, there were about 5 PSOne games that the PS2 wasn't compatible with. Yup, so expect another 5 or so not to work...5 outta a gillion or so. Oh, and the PS2 does make PSOne games look better, FYI.

[quote name='bmulligan']3. Stronger Japanese Developer Support. Check.[/quote]

Heh. :cool:

[quote name='bmulligan']2. Metal Gear Solid. Check. Wait, wasn't this reason #10? I'm repeating myself.[/quote]

I'd say MGS is worth repeating, but yea.

[quote name='bmulligan']1. Blu-ray. An un market tested format that could go the way of the betamax. were not sure yet.[/quote]

Well, it could easily be argued that the PS2 was a big reason for DVD taking off in the early days. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe that the PS3 will give Blu-Ray a huge push in the market.

[quote name='bmulligan']All in all, a pretty lame list of reasons to wait for a ps3 full of conjecture, hope and prayer, and redundancy. As far as I'm concerned, it's all hype until we can actually see some real running hardware. At least MS has put their money where their mouth is. Sony just has mouth.[/QUOTE]

...and M$ has been all hype for the past year or so. This is the PS3's year for the hype.

[quote name='"IGN"']Reason #8: Hefty Expandability / Connectivity Options
Have expansion, will travel. The best way to maximize a console's lifespan is by lining it with a thousand ports and interfaces of every type. In this way PS3 has expandability written all over it.[/quote]

Yeah, that worked very well for the PS2 hard drive...

[quote name='"IGN"']Moreover, PS3 will also be intimately familiar with the PSP, meaning cross-platform associations will be all over the place. Expect PS3 games to take full advantage of the little PlayStation Portable by offering unlockable content and new multiplayer possibilities. What if a PSP player could control Otacon's droid in the next MGS? Whoops![/quote]

Why is it that when Nintendo connects its console to its portable, it gets highly criticized, but when Sony does it, it's new and exciting?

I'm glad to see that the new PS3 will have so many games that will fully interact with the PSP. Making it so if you don't have a PSP, you're missing out on a large amount of games. Good way to sell systems.

Now just make the fucking thing so that it doesn't send shooting horrible pains through people's arms cause the damn button placement is absolutely fucking horrid.

So, what's the problem? I guarntee IGN X360 would have done the same thing if PS3 were to be released first. I'm waiting for a PS3, so I agree with most everything they said.

Its nothing but politics. Everyone says their dick is the biggest, best, fanciest dick around.

In the end, all the hype is BS, and people pick their own.

"There seems to be an awfully big hubbub about Microsoft's upcoming video game system, the Xbox 360. The console will arrive in stores on the 22nd just in time for the holidays, but unless you are being held at gunpoint or are some sort of shipping magnate with billions of dollars to spare, you should definitely not purchase this box of hell and lament.

Microsoft has gone with the baffling decision to launch their console with only 18 games. That's pitiful compared to the 500 titles available on the Playstation 2, which is manufactured by our advertising partner Sony, a company that's just all around a bunch of really great guys. The poor saps who defy all logic and buy an Xbox 360 won't be able to play this season's hottest titles such as the Playstation 2 version of 50 Cent: Bulletproof, EyeToy: Operation Spy, and The Official Playstation Magazine Demo Disc. I have no idea why Microsoft chose to launch the system with 18 titles instead of 500, but it's safe to say they definitely hate their audience.

As of this time, there are only a handful of people using the Xbox 360's Live online multiplayer service, and they are mainly Microsoft employees and members of the gaming press. The console has not actually gone on sale yet, but it's obvious that such a pitifully low number of users means no one is interested and that the Live service will tank horribly. One analyst projects that Live will literally crash and burn within a week of the Xbox 360's launch, and that the console itself will fail completely within the month. Another analyst disagrees, however, projecting that the console will fail within three weeks. There were a few other analysts who didn't believe the console would fail at all, but their predictions didn't really jibe with my article so I decided not to quote them.

Simply buying the measly library of 18 games available at launch will cost you $900. You'll also need three extra wireless controllers, every single faceplate available to customize your console depending on your mood, and an extra Xbox 360 in case your first one breaks or gets a smudge on it. These necessities will run you another $800. If you want to play any of your games online you'll need to sign up for Live, which will run you $2,500 for a lifetime if you're around 24-30 years old. You'll of course need a top of the line HDTV to fully enjoy the experience, which will cost you another $3,000 or so. After factoring in a corinthian leather couch to sit on as you play, electricity, housing, and a broadband connection, you're looking at a total investment in the range of several hundred thousand dollars just to play a handful of subpar games!

Compare that insane expense to the cost of, just off the top of my head here, a sleek Playstation 2 which sells for only $149, and it quickly becomes apparent that you're a jerk if you buy an Xbox 360.

Analysts also warn that the Xbox 360 could potentially carry a mutated strain of the asian bird flu. The consoles are being assembled in China, which is notorious for being asian. Despite this blatant public health risk, Microsoft has decided not to check any of their units for the bird flu. I guess profit means more to them than human life."

more at http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3364 :mrgreen:

I don't get why everyone is saying that the Xbox360 has a weak launch line up. The Gamecube had a worse launch, although Star Wars still kicks ass, but the PS2 had a fucking godawful launch. I mean, I guess it could be argued that systems with horrible launches do well, but that just seems fucking stupid.

[quote name='evanft']Who gives a shit? Seriously, who cares.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you, or you wouldn't have taken the time to come in this thread, read at least some of the posts and then post yourself.

Is it strange that every single statement made in that article except for the games and backwards compatibility made me give a shit? I don't care about dual screen 1080 support. I don't care about 7 controllers. I don't care about blu-ray. I don't care about extra ports to hook up other crap. I want a gaming system with no load times and runs smoothly. If that was their selling point I'd buy one.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Obviously you, or you wouldn't have taken the time to come in this thread, read at least some of the posts and then post yourself.[/QUOTE]

I finally made use of the "ignore feature" a couple of weeks ago, thanks to evanft.

[quote name='evanft']Who gives a shit? Seriously, who cares.[/QUOTE]

Some people live for this stuff. Isn't that what the Internet is for anyways? To argue with other people?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://ps2.ign.com/articles/089/089251p1.html[/QUOTE]

Okay, maybe I'm a little late on this, but I hadn't seen the original first-hand story until just now. So ... yeah, I'm gonna put money on that being a typical Sony "We made up critics who gave our movies good reviews" marketing BS. Hussein could import PS2s from anywhere in the world ... so why would he try to get them from the US, of all places?

[quote name='Scahom1']Some people live for this stuff. Isn't that what the Internet is for anyways? To argue with other people?[/QUOTE]

No it's not! :D

[quote name='Brak']I finally made use of the "ignore feature" a couple of weeks ago, thanks to evanft.[/QUOTE]

hey me too! i'm up to 3 and looking for more.

[quote name='argyle']
Well, it could easily be argued that the PS2 was a big reason for DVD taking off in the early days.
[/QUOTE]
DVD was an established standard. There wasn't a format war.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']
Why is that when Nintendo connects its console to its portable, it get highly criticized, but when Sony does it, it's new and exciting?[/QUOTE]

I've wondered this myself, seeing as how it has happened numerous times.

[quote name='Scahom1']Some people live for this stuff. Isn't that what the Internet is for anyways? To argue with other people?[/QUOTE]

Woops, forgot about that. :)

It's on IGN's PS3 site. They're just having fun with it. Some of them are honest jabs while others are obviously (IMO) just meant to be silly like, "You can still pre-order the PS3!"

[quote name='b0bx13']DVD was an established standard. There wasn't a format war.[/QUOTE]Nope there wasn't, but it did get a dvd player in millions of homes, primarily in the sought after 18-24 market. Granted it was a pretty sub-par dvd player, but it was enough to get those PS2 gamers buying dvds by the boatloads. That is why I would agree with the OP's statement that the PS2 was a factor in dvds rising in acceptance among consumers.

[quote name='orphicblue'] theirs basically says "360 is for losers cancel your preorders because the PS3 is so much better because..."[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't. It basically says, "Wait to see both systems before you invest, else you might end up like those poor Dreamcast owners." Not that I think Microsoft will fold up like Sega - too rich - but it's still good advice if you're low on cash. Else you might discover in 2007 when FF13, KH3, or Grand Theft 10 is released, that you'd be better off with PS3, but don't have any money, because it's sunk in the X360.

So IGN is not biased. They gave good advice. It is the *reader* orphicblue that is biased, seeing the word "wait before investing" as the words "X360 sucks". Strange. Maybe you should get glasses?

BTW my first next-gen console will probably be the Nintendo Revolution. $200 sounds a reasonable price for the ability to download old NES and Super Nintendo classics.

[quote name='electrictroy']

BTW my first next-gen console will probably be the Nintendo Revolution. $200 sounds a reasonable price for the ability to download old NES and Super Nintendo classics.[/QUOTE]

Sure, at a price of 5-10 dollars each.

It's great how people are starting to hype the next MGS game for the PS3. Anyone remember when the PS2 didn't have really great games and people kept yelling how MGS2 would be better then jesus ?

[quote name='sevdustflyer']Sure, at a price of 5-10 dollars each.[/QUOTE] Considering I've spent $0 on Mario RPG, Link to the Past, and SMB (having downloaded them for free), I think $5-10 sounds like a fair price. I owe Nintendo money for their fine masterpeices.

I think the prices should vary between systems. For example, $0.99 iPod style NES games, $4.99 SNES games, and $9.99 N64 games. Just an example and not a serious suggestion.

The Blu-Ray also could be a negative feature, if it fails. You're just paying more for something you don't need. And many people will be doing that anyway, with both consoles.

They bound PSP to one type of Flash Memory, why wouldn't they do the same with the PS3? They want everything proprietary, so you can't run out and buy a $50 gig of memory to make things worthwhile.

They did for all of them, I guess...
http://cube.ign.com/articles/670/670078p1.html

These articles are pretty pathetic across the board. It's just fanboy masturbation.

I mean, seriously, when you list "TEH AWSUM GRAPHX" as a reason to own a console, just stfu. For god's sake, just stfu...

News on the loss MS takes on the cost of selling an XBox 360:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051122_410710.htm

BREAKING IT DOWN. An up-close look at the components and other materials used in the high-end version of the Xbox 360, which contains a hard drive, found that the materials inside the unit cost Microsoft $470 before assembly. The console sells at retail for $399, meaning a loss of $71 per unit -- and that is just the start.

Other items packaged with the console -- including the power supply, cables, and controllers -- add another $55 to Microsoft's cost, pushing the loss per unit to $126. These estimates include assumptions that Microsoft is getting a discount on many components.

That was the case with the first Xbox console, which contained about $323 worth of parts and materials when released, but sold at retail for $299. It's certainly not going to help Microsoft reverse the trend of losses in its home-entertainment segment. In the fiscal year ended June 30, that unit lost $391 million on sales just shy of $3.25 billion. That's a little more than 8% of Microsoft's total sales of $39.8 billion.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said that the company's plan calls for a "gross margin neutral" strategy through 2006, meaning that between the sales of consoles, game software, and accessories, it expects to essentially break even. Profits should follow in 2007.

bread's done
Back