Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

jclast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is my first review. I didn't see one up yet for LoI, and I just finished it, so I figured it would be a good place to start.

STORY -- 8/10
First things first, most Castlevania titles seem to have the same general plot. Dracula returns, and whichever random Belmont you happen to be controlling must destroy him. LoI, however, is different. The story does wonders to explain some of the foibles of the game. Questions from the series answered include: Why do the Belmonts use a whip? Why are there always power-ups scattered about the castle? Why do the Belmonts hate creatures of the night?

Also, this game has a good enough story to stand on its own. One needs no prior knowledge of the Castlevania series to enjoy this game. This is partly because the story-telling is good and partly because this title is, chronologically, the first chapter of the Castlevania saga.

GAMEPLAY -- 7/10
3-D action games are a tough beast to control well, but Konami put together a reasonable control system. There is one strong pro and one strong con to the control system, in my opinion.

Pros: The controls are responsive and natural. I never forgot what a button did, and every control is quick to respond except for block (assigned by default to R1 and/or R2). My perceived unresponsiveness of the block command, however, is probably because I only realized I should block when I was in the middle of a combination attack. Speaking of combo attacks, the combos in LoI are easy to remember and easy to implement (as opposed to Devil May Cry, which I had to play on Easy Mode to complete because I couldn't get a hang of the combat system). All attacks and combos make use of the Square and Triangle buttons. Square executes a light attack, and Triangle executes a heavy attack. Light attacks are fast and weak; heavy attacks are slow and strong.

Cons: Only being able use items in real-time makes sense. You can't pause real combat to equip a new whip or drink a healing potion. However, making the player choose between using the real-time window and attacking is a major hindrance to gameplay. I should be able to swing a whip with one hand while I take out and drink a healing potion with the other. Equipping weapons and armor should cancel out attacking, but selecting orbs, relics, or items should not because these are all one-handed, non-weapon actions.

GRAPHICS -- 9/10
Konami is able to push the PS2 to the limits of its hardware, and the results are stunning. Leon Belmont and Rinaldo are both extremely well-animated. I didn't care for the look of Sara. I hope Leon loves her for her personality because she's not much to look at. The enemies are well-designed. There's a lot of pallet-swapping, and it's noticeable, but the models themselves are very well-made. The castle looks great. It's not the most interesting thing to walk through, but it's great to look at.

PRESENTATION -- 3/10
The story is told primarily through spoken dialogue. The dialogue is good, but there should be at least an opening and closing FMV. The sequences before boss battles (aside from the final boss) should have been longer.

The castle is boring to walk through. The same rooms are reused time and time again. The rooms are almost all symmetrical, and there are an overabundance of empty rooms. After a difficult room, and empty passage is welcome, but it seems as though the programmers forgot to fill some of the rooms in the castle.

MUSIC -- 6/10
All of the music is extremely well produced and performed. LoI is one of the few video game soundtracks I would like to own. However, much of the music early in the game (especially in the Anti-Soul Mysteries Lab) doesn't seem to fit the environment. The electronica-orchestral music detracts from the spooky environment provided by the graphics.

OVERALL -- 8/10
This game is entertaining to play. It was nice to see an action game with a story, and I enjoyed being introduced to the Belmont clan's beginnings. The level design leaves much to be desired, but the combat is fun (this is one of the first games that I actually used the block command), and the bosses are genuinely fun to fight. The game is not so difficult that you'll throw the controller, but it is challenging enough that you'll have a sense of accomplishment after defeating a boss.

GOOD THINGS
1. Entertaining combat system
2. Great bosses
3. Excellent grahpics
4. Good music
5. Unlockable characters and modes of play

BAD THINGS
1. Repetitive rooms
2. Annoying camera
3. Music doesn't always fit
4. Sucks you in! I didn't want to put the controller down!

Its on PS2. Nice review. I don't agree with it 100%, however. It was a good action game, but after SOTN and all of the GBA Castlevanias, I had really started to enjoy the more Metroid-esque Castlevanias, and this one didn't follow the trend. But I can't really fault it for doing something different, since it did it pretty well.

oH~~ i just found that I actually have that game in japanese however it is not working and i didn't have time to exchange it since few months ago~ >.< I like Castivenia's since many years ago on nintendo family computer times :wink:

In terms of price, I was able to pick it up at Circuit City for $15. It was marked at $20. Must be one of Circuit City's unmarked sales.

ugh.. another castlevania game? enough is enough. Castlevania is starting to become as troublesome as Tomb Raider where nobody wants it, but they just keep appearing. It is definitely the suck.

[quote name='OkeSmokey21']ugh.. another castlevania game? enough is enough. Castlevania is starting to become as troublesome as Tomb Raider where nobody wants it, but they just keep appearing. It is definitely the suck.[/quote]

I don't think it is many people's opinions that there are too many Castlevania games. In fact, I really can't think of one bad CV game. While I think LoI is the worst in the series, as a game it surpasses a huge portion of everything else being released.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='OkeSmokey21']ugh.. another castlevania game? enough is enough. Castlevania is starting to become as troublesome as Tomb Raider where nobody wants it, but they just keep appearing. It is definitely the suck.[/quote]

I don't think it is many people's opinions that there are too many Castlevania games. In fact, I really can't think of one bad CV game. While I think LoI is the worst in the series, as a game it surpasses a huge portion of everything else being released.[/quote]

Are we forgetting the two bastardized ones created for the N64? You can't possibly say LoI is any worse than those. I personally enjoyed it, I seem to be one of a few people I know that actually really liked the story for LoI so it's good to see someone else enjoyed the story too.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='OkeSmokey21']ugh.. another castlevania game? enough is enough. Castlevania is starting to become as troublesome as Tomb Raider where nobody wants it, but they just keep appearing. It is definitely the suck.[/quote]

I don't think it is many people's opinions that there are too many Castlevania games. In fact, I really can't think of one bad CV game. While I think LoI is the worst in the series, as a game it surpasses a huge portion of everything else being released.[/quote]

Are we forgetting the two bastardized ones created for the N64? You can't possibly say LoI is any worse than those. I personally enjoyed it, I seem to be one of a few people I know that actually really liked the story for LoI so it's good to see someone else enjoyed the story too.[/quote]

Ah sorry, you are quite right. For some reason I must have blocked them out of my memory. Well even still, CV has a pretty damn good track record, especially considering they have released 3 in a very short time on one system.

I enjoyed this game a lot, and it's a good buy for $20. My main complaints are

1) too short!
2) lots of empty rooms (as OP said) and I seemed to have to do lots of walking around and backtracking through levels if I missed something

Hmmm, the last Castlevania I played before this was Super Castlevania (other than a brief rental on the N64 that I am still trying to pretend never happened). I didn't realize that backtracking was part of CV now :(

Good review, I felt the same way on all the good points and bad points.

I did "Suck Me In." It was so simple yet couldn't put it down.

After playing Circle of the Moon and Symphony of the Night (especially SoTN) it's really hard to get into this game, as 2D seems to be what makes the series work. The whole 3D aspect and a story that falls short of anything done way back on the NES really hurt the game in my book. Cookie cutter rooms didn't help it all that much either. Stick to CotM and SotN if you want the whole package, because this game just can't compare.

Is SotN worth getting used at this point if you've never played it? I never owned a PS1, just a PS2. Right now the only PS1 games I have are FF7 and FF8.

[quote name='Backlash']Is SotN worth getting used at this point if you've never played it? I never owned a PS1, just a PS2. Right now the only PS1 games I have are FF7 and FF8.[/quote]

Yes, yes it is...

I just finished this game...I picked it up for $15 at CC.

Not a bad game for $15, but considering the shortness of it I'd be pissed if I had paid full price for it on the release date. I literally beat it in 8 hours on the first playable character.

I found this whole game comical more than anything. Leon Belmont must have came upon the castle when all the monsters were on vacation...because the pretty rooms are empty! I'm used to Castlevania rooms teeming with monsters.

Then there was the issue of the music not fitting some of the rooms. I finally figured out the reason for the rave-type music in the Anti-Souls Lab. The Lab is really an undercover drug lab! Those aren't zombies you're killing, they're drugged up party goers. But hey, I still liked the music anyways.

Then there were the cutscenes. I think this game had the most boring beginning cutscene in the entire history of gaming. And something about watching Leon strut around in every cutscene (with one hand usually on his hip) made me giggle. Ditto for the scenes that were supposed to be "intense" and focused on Leon's face to *gasp* reveal the fact that he's cross-eyed and wearing eyeliner!

Then there were the character designs. This was one of those few games where the male characters actually looked more effeminate than the female characters. A cross eyed hero wearing a silly blonde wig and carrying a whip? A flying vampire in a dress that likes to play with knives? OMG...is the shopkeeper wearing a dress too? LMAO. And is it just me, or does Sara look like she's, ahem, "special" in a Down Syndrome kind of way?

Ok, I had fun with this game, but half it was due to me snickering while playing. LOI was pure comic relief!

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='Backlash']Is SotN worth getting used at this point if you've never played it? I never owned a PS1, just a PS2. Right now the only PS1 games I have are FF7 and FF8.[/quote]

Yes, yes it is...[/quote]

This is one game I would recomend getting anytime someone asks. I think its hard to find someone who will not enjoy SOTN. Get it.[/quote]

I need a new copy (will be my THIRD of SoTN!(I burned through the other ones)), and I think im going to take some of my shitty GBA games and other crap games to Blockbuster in Richmond and trade them in becuase they have a copy NEW for 16.99(non GH, which is what my old ones were).

This game was a huge let down for me. I got it the day it came out and preordered it. I really hated that game, played it for two hours and never came back to it. It was a poor DMC clone, it still was better than DMC2. I'll give it that much. But DMC is how a 3D castlevania should play. I liked the pase of DMC way more and the bad guys looked way cooler. Also the action seemed way more fun and the enviorments all looked great and rich. Each looked different, but had a simular feel to them. Castlevania's enviorments basicly were all the same. It really wasn't as rich as any of the 2D games. I must say that Castlevania's music owned DMC's music.

Yeah those evil puppets were way cooler than the enemies in Castlevania :roll: . Seriously, though DMC recycled enemies and environments just as much as LoI and you def. have to admit the Forbidden One was a badass enemy.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Yeah those evil puppets were way cooler than the enemies in Castlevania :roll: . Seriously, though DMC recycled enemies and environments just as much as LoI and you def. have to admit the Forbidden One was a badass enemy.[/quote]
I liked when you played DMC over the enemys looked cooler. (at harder settings) I just think the bad guys(the bosses and what not) are all around cooler and were way more fun to fight againts. DMC just seemed like an all around cooler game. I like the demonic changes you make in DMC...I don't know it just seemed like a less rushed game.

Check at a Blockbuster for one at 14.99, I bought one last month. If you can't find one locally , I may be able to find another (as there are several Blockbusters around here) and we can trade or you reimburse me or something... I still think you're bound to find one in any decent sized metropolitan area.

bread's done
Back