PS3 "Boomerang" Controller Criticism Addressed

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Not sure if it's official, but the arguments presented make sense and have taken away some of my uncertainty.

http://www.forz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/boomerangdebunked.gif

This is intended for people who are concerned about the comfortability of the controller, not the "OMG! The thing looks like a stupid fucking boomerang! Sony's lost it!" argument.

Besides, how many of us actually look at a controller while we're playing? It's confort that matters in the end, ultimately.

That doesn't make sense. I just picked up my PS2 controller and sure enough I already naturally hold it with my wrists angled. The claim in that animation is that with the PS2 controller your holding your wrists straight...

Not to turn this into a fanboy argument thread but I really don't see why they (and Nintendo) are trying to reinvent the wheel with their contollers? Why not just take what already works and make some slight tweaks on it?

[quote name='chakan']So if a controller was shaped like a wang, but it was REALLY comfortable to hold, that would be ok?[/QUOTE]

Would you stop playing games if it was?

Who the hell holds a Dual Shock 2 like that? It reminds me of one of those late-night infomercials where everyone is making a huge mess and cutting their fingers off trying to boil eggs or something.
I must say, however, seeing the "boomerang" in someone's hands really makes it seem like everyone is overreacting. It looks like it will be just fine (although I'd prefer something closer to the current PS2 controllers, which are, in my opinion, the best created for any console).

Is it just me or does everyone else already hold their wrists at an angle when using the current dual shock? The grips on the dual shock are already angled. I'm not quite sure what this is showing. This is exactly how I pictured holding the boomerang controller when I saw it. I still don't like the design because I don't like the analog sticks to be right beside each other on the same plane. It's great for Katamari, but for everything else, it just feels more natural to have them like the Xbox or Gamecube have them.

I really don't think this answers anybody's concerns about the boomerang. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'll wait until I hold it to make any judgements. I think the Wavebird looks pretty awful but it turned out to be the most comfortable controller I have ever held. It also probably differs from person to person on what they find comfortable.

I don't recall widespread complaints about the Dualshock? The controller looks like a Sidewinder, but much more uncomfortable. Hell, I don't think an Xbox controller is that much more different then a Dualshock in terms of holding. My wrists hurt more playing GBA then consoles.

I never thought the boomerang design was a problem. Like jkam, I will hold off judgement until I hold it. The whole "it looks like a boomerang" argument is annoying IMHO...just like I have read that people are complaining about the "spiderman" font. Give me a break!

I still don't like the placement of the Left Analog stick and the D-Pad, Thats been my whole gripe with the Dualshock, So untill Sony getts off their ass and updates the controller's layout. I will never be happy with the Playstation controller. They should just use the Xbox360 design.

[quote name='chickenhawk']The whole "it looks like a boomerang" argument is annoying IMHO...just like I have read that people are complaining about the "spiderman" font. Give me a break![/QUOTE]

Exactly. Maybe it DOES look like a boomerang. Who cares?

[quote name='chickenhawk']I never thought the boomerang design was a problem. Like jkam, I will hold off judgement until I hold it. The whole "it looks like a boomerang" argument is annoying IMHO...just like I have read that people are complaining about the "spiderman" font. Give me a break![/QUOTE]

i agree.

"never judge a book by it's cover."

;)

Sorry, I actually owned the PS1 controller that thing is based off of. Other than the negcon, it was pretty much the worst controller ever, at least since the 4bit era. Uncomfortable as hell, and you constantly hit the wrong buttons/directions. I'm (hopefully) probably passing on a PS3 anyway, but if that is the only controller, my decision will be REALLY easy.

All I'm going to say is...for all the complaining I've ever done about any controller (Gamecube and original Xbox come to mind...) I've never thought twice about whether I wanted a system because of the controller...that is, until now.

Sure, I'm willing to give it a chance, but if it's as uncomfortable to hold as it looks, I'll wait for the PS3's Controller S.

I figured it would be comfortable as hell. Like I've said, Sony's had the best controller design for a while, I doubt they'd get rid of it for something bad.

I hate when they angle the handles like that. It throws my thumbs off and when I want to move right with the digital pad, I wind up going down and right because the axis of my hand is off center. "Up" stays the same relative to my hand instead of the controller.

[quote name='TimPV3']I figured it would be comfortable as hell. Like I've said, Sony's had the best controller design for a while, I doubt they'd get rid of it for something bad.[/QUOTE]

Like a lawsuit? ;)

[quote name='chakan']So if a controller was shaped like a wang, but it was REALLY comfortable to hold, that would be ok?[/QUOTE]

The original joystick.:lol:

I think its great people dont like that it looks like a boomerang who gives a shit look at controllers in the past some of the best looking didnt work well.

playstation making a good move by sticking with this design.

Looks comfortable, and if it ends up being comfortable then I'm happy. Dualshock 2 is my favorite controller ever, and if this is going to be an improvement on it then awesome.

The controller is basically the same (layout of the buttons and analog sticks) except its a different shape, and if it ends up being as comfortable as the gif in the OP suggests then awesome.

And I personally prefer the analog sticks next to eachother.

I never got all the bitching about the controller. It's pretty much the same as the DS2, just with a silver coat of paint and a curved design. It's relatively the same size, same button placement (with a little adjustment), same great feel (assuming), and it'll play just as well, maybe even better than the DS2. Enough about the controller, give us more info on the console!

[quote name='whoknows']Looks comfortable, and if it ends up being comfortable then I'm happy. Dualshock 2 is my favorite controller ever, and if this is going to be an improvement on it then awesome.

The controller is basically the same (layout of the buttons and analog sticks) except its a different shape, and if it ends up being as comfortable as the gif in the OP suggests then awesome.

And I personally prefer the analog sticks next to eachother.[/QUOTE]

Same with me, the Dualshock is the best controller I have ever held in my life. I never saw a problem with it to begin with. It may look a bit diffrent but then again all the consoles have a diffrent looking controller. I think that it will be a fine controller and those who do not like it could simply get third party controllers.

Interesting pic. I didn't like the design of the controller either. Not because of its shape, but mainly because I love the Dual Shock2. IMO, it didn't need that much of a change. Anyway, I will try it out before I say anything.

The PS2 controller has to be the single most emulated controller ever. Look at all the PC gamepads that look 99% like the Dual Shock.

it could be worse... it could be this!

con_JaguarController.jpg

the worst controller ever imo...

So is Sony admitting that their Dual Shock controller was bad and unhealthy? Should we all sue Sony for their part in causing Carpal Tunnel

[quote name='asianxcore']I really don't like the new PS3 controller, but I guess I'll wait until I have one in my hands to ass any further judgement.[/QUOTE]

Sony really is trying to reach a new demographic!

[quote name='shipwreck']Is it just me or does everyone else already hold their wrists at an angle when using the current dual shock? The grips on the dual shock are already angled. I'm not quite sure what this is showing. This is exactly how I pictured holding the boomerang controller when I saw it. I still don't like the design because I don't like the analog sticks to be right beside each other on the same plane. It's great for Katamari, but for everything else, it just feels more natural to have them like the Xbox or Gamecube have them.

I really don't think this answers anybody's concerns about the boomerang. Maybe I'm missing something?[/QUOTE]

I agree completely with your comments, Shipwreck. Don't get me wrong, the design makes sense from an ergonomics viewpoint, but I don't think that the position is that much of a change over the current gen controllers. I suppose time will tell (both if they choose to go with this controller and if I get to test it in store before making a PS3 purchase).

I'm not a big fan of the design, but I am a fan of comfort. Granted I rarely feel akward, or get pain from the dualshock, but there is the occasional all nighter where I have to put the controller down and workout my hands. Also this design seems to benefit my future as a gamer. I plan to play games until my last breath and at that age some controllers would not work to well in my brittle hands. I think this is a good step forward for the older gamer, but as many have stated, "why change a good thing", minor changes would have sufficed. Also I feel Sony is marketing their own design as to not have any more lawsuits from other companies...Dualshock...cough..cough..we stole the idea..cough.

How can anyone think it won't be comfrontable its the new generation of playstation of course there gonna make the damn thing comfrontable

[quote name='funkymunkyluc']How can anyone think it won't be uncomfrontable its the new generation of playstation of course there gonna make the damn thing comfrontable[/QUOTE]

I don't know what this "comfrontable" is that you speak of but I'll be happy if it's comfortable.

[quote name='shipwreck']Is it just me or does everyone else already hold their wrists at an angle when using the current dual shock? The grips on the dual shock are already angled. I'm not quite sure what this is showing. This is exactly how I pictured holding the boomerang controller when I saw it. I still don't like the design because I don't like the analog sticks to be right beside each other on the same plane. It's great for Katamari, but for everything else, it just feels more natural to have them like the Xbox or Gamecube have them.

I really don't think this answers anybody's concerns about the boomerang. Maybe I'm missing something?[/QUOTE]

It's not just you, I actually think this will be much more uncomfortable than the DS2 is. Let's face it when we play games we move our fingers alot. Sure this controller is a good fit when our hands are releaxed but I see some problems (especially if you have bigger hands), especially on games that may involve heavy use of the shoulder buttons.

The one criticism I can make of the DS2 is that you have to bend your wrists to hold it. Which can be tiresome after a while, and if you have carpal tunnel, it's hell. The boomerang seems to address this, but I dunno.

The problem is people are USED to the DS2 shape, and will try to hold it just lke the old one making their adjustment difficult. And then you have to wonder if the new shape will effect your quality of control one you do adjust to it.

Honestly it just dosent make a whole lot of sense. I just want them to make sure I can use my old controllers because I'll be damned if I have to buy all new peripheral controllers like new dance mats, steering wheels, or guncon's just because they chose not to put a standard plug on the thing.

From the initial pictures it looks like any plug in devices will have to be USB. I'm sure there will be some type of hub adapter that will allow us to use several DS2 with the PS3 (hopefully the hub will be wireless). Anyway, I'm not to thrilled by the boomer-rang design although sometimes the DS2 gives me blisters on my fingers when I play extended amount of times.

bread's done
Back