CheapyD's Ramen Thread

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Inspired by this thread, I will use this space to chronicle my ramen adventures.

Tanmen (vegetable ramen) at Kyo-ku
This place is right across the street from my apt. I've only had tanmen and gyoza there, but they both are ridiculously good. I finished all of that myself and found it was a bit too much (at least for lunch). I was going to bike riding after that, but I was so full, I had to go home and sit on the couch instead.
tanmen.jpg

Shio Ramen (salt) at Kameido Gyoza
shioramen.jpg

tamen.jpg

Looks Tastey.. How much did you pay for this meal?

BTW, Japan has alot of "hooks" from when i last visited there.

mmmmmmmmmmmm ramen is good, my friends' gf who is chinese made this korean soup I believe with all sorts of vegies and noodles and squid or oct it was yum yum good.

[quote name='Kastides']Looks Tastey.. How much did you pay for this meal?

BTW, Japan has alot of "hooks" from when i last visited there.[/QUOTE]

I believe the tanmen was 700yen and the gyoza was 400yen...so about $9.
The next time I went, I skipped the gyoza.
They just started a 700yen lunch set special, but I don't know what it is, cause I can't read it.

What do you mean by "hooks"?

[quote name='zewone']zewone's ramen adventure[/QUOTE]
lol @ that.

Cheapy, from that picture, I can almost feel the sodium coarse through my veins.

[quote name='zewone']zewone's ramen adventure :cry: :
ME-MARU-001.gif
[/QUOTE]

Maruchan is good, but this is my favorite of all the Ramens...

[quote name='zewone']zewone's ramen adventure :cry: :
ME-MARU-001.gif
[/QUOTE]

i think maruchan is pretty good. my favorite is the shrimp flavor. the msg soup is so tasty.

you guys should try shanghai ramen (the word ramen came from chinese noodle, ramen literally means pulled (la) noodle (mien). It's really good.

when i asked if we could make topics, I was going to make one on ramen and other japanese foods, but i thought it was a silly idea.

nice to see that you did it instead cheapy

That does look nice, What kind of food place was it, sorta like Olive Garden or like mom' pop's hoagie shop?

[quote name='CheapyD']Inspired by this thread, I will use this space to chronicle my ramen adventures.

Tanmen (vegetable ramen) at Kyo-ku (will have to double check that restaruant name)
This place is right across the street from my apt. I've only had tanmen and gyoza there, but they both are ridiculously good. I finished all of that myself and found it was a bit too much (at least for lunch). I was going to bike riding after that, but I was so full, I had to go home and sit on the couch instead.
tanmen.jpg

tamen.jpg

[/QUOTE]
I find you usually get more veggies in Tanmen. Definitely one of my favorite types of ramen.

Know what kind of soup that is?

Looks good. I feel cheapy you whole mission in Japan is to eat every single food item at every Japanese restaurant and then report to us. :D Their is a static that says that a New yorker could eat a different restaurant every night for 20 years and never yet the same place twice.

[quote name='greendj27']Maruchan is good, but this is my favorite of all the Ramens...

[/QUOTE]

:bow:
Only thing that makes it better is if you can add in all that stuff they show on the packet!

[quote name='crystalklear64']:bow:
Only thing that makes it better is if you can add in all that stuff they show on the packet![/QUOTE]

Buy a bag of frozen "stir fry" vegetables at your local grocery store. Just dump some into the next batch of ramen (I, on the other hand, typically just use carrots, peas and water chestnuts).

My wife would love to go there just for the food...hmm...maybe I should plan a vacation...she can go out to eat and do all the girly touristy stuff...I can hit up all the video game and comic book stores.

[quote name='Rictor']My wife would love to go there just for the food...hmm...maybe I should plan a vacation...she can go out to eat and do all the girly touristy stuff...I can hit up all the video game and comic book stores.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan ;). I would love to take a trip here just because I like thier culture.

My ramen of choice:

Shinramyun.jpg

Shinramyun. aka: Death Ramen
Usually only available from asian food stores in the States.

[quote name='"http://eng.nongshim.com/"']Shin ramyun is a hot and beef taste product, made of beef flavor and various natural seasoning. Creating a sensation since the first roll out in October 1986, it has maintained the position as best selling item. It is also loved in Japan, US, Hong Kong, Taiwan and China due to its unique and hot taste. [/quote]

Look at that awesome red color of the broth. Red as in heat. Heat as in fire. Fire in my mouth. Mmm..

deathramen.jpg

I go nuts when I go to asian food stores. I dropped $15 in awesome ramen and noodles during my last trip.

[quote name='uberzone']Looks like Vietnamese 'pho'.[/QUOTE]

pho doesnt use fat udon noodles. its those small thin squarish noodles in pho.

[quote name='CheapyD']Inspired by this thread, I will use this space to chronicle my ramen adventures.

Tanmen (vegetable ramen) at Kyo-ku (will have to double check that restaruant name)
[/QUOTE]

Yes but is it Authentic?

mmmmmmmm, found a pic of my favorite ramen:
nong-c-bowlnoodle-200.gif

coincidentally, nong shim also make my favorite shrimp chips:
tn_J210468_jpg.jpg
(hot & spicy... although it's more like sweet & mild :lol: )

one of the oddest ramens I cam across (and had... I eat too much ramen) was a mexican salsa Muchan (is that the brand name?) ramen noodles... it even had a mexican hat on the cover. Talk about racial fusion...

For all you CAGs in the Bay Area,CA there is a great ramen restaurant in Mountain View and in Milpitas, its a chain called Maru Ichi and they make their own noodles from scratch... Man that stuff is delicious! Been there practically every week, and they have the Kuro Ramen (black garlic) and tonkotsu (pork) ramen! Yum

[quote name='ryanlk']For all you CAGs in the Bay Area,CA there is a great ramen restaurant in Mountain View and in Milpitas, its a chain called Maru Ichi and they make their own noodles from scratch... Man that stuff is delicious! Been there practically every week, and they have the Kuro Ramen (black garlic) and tonkotsu (pork) ramen! Yum[/QUOTE]
Maru Ichi is alright, but I prefer Ryowa around the corner from the MV one. It's more like a Japanese place.

After watching Kujibiki Unbalance, I decided to dump a spoonful of raw, pressed garlic into my bowl of ramen. I expected it to kill me, but it was surprisingly mellow and tasty. The heat from the soup semi-cooks the garlic, and there's a nice amount of spiciness, too. But afterwards, I could feel the garlic fumes coming from my mouth. :shock:

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']It's an old thread but thought I'd share what Ms. Rodimus and myself made today:
[/quote]

I like your spoon.
Best Ramen i've ever had were in a Miso soup at a local japanese restaurant. But i'm not a big ramen eater.

I got that spoon at a $1 in Japan. Had it for years. I'm not even a big One Piece fan but I did like that spoon. I'm surprised that the graphic's never faded.

Hey Cheapy, do you remember what type of Ramen we ate when I came to visit? I've been jonesin for some Ramen and I can't what kind we ate.

Sadly, no noodle places around here (Kentucky), but as for the instant stuff, I have two loves:

Thai Kitchen Tofu Miso Udon Soup, and Sapporo Ichiban Yakisoba.

Very good, though not the best thing to take for a lunch at work, since there might be seaweed stuck in your teeth afterwards.

/apologies for the mental image

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I got that spoon at a $1 in Japan. Had it for years. I'm not even a big One Piece fan but I did like that spoon. I'm surprised that the graphic's never faded.[/quote]

What were those white flower shaped things with the pink swirls on them? That doesnt look like anything that occurs in nature.

I used to go to he Yaohan (now Mitsuwa) supermarket near me and get Rockman ramen, aka Megaman.

Wow old thread. Hey Cheapy, I've heard tales of Ramen with soft serve ice cream dropped in. Supposedly it's going to be the next big thing. Any truth to this?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Wow old thread. Hey Cheapy, I've heard tales of Ramen with soft serve ice cream dropped in. Supposedly it's going to be the next big thing. Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]
I've never once come across this.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I've never once come across this.[/quote]

I first heard about it here (warning: some parts of his site are NSFW) and some friends of mine told me they had sampled it there on their honeymoon. If you find it, give it a shot I guess.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I first heard about it here (warning: some parts of his site are NSFW) and some friends of mine told me they had sampled it there on their honeymoon. If you find it, give it a shot I guess.[/QUOTE]
Hot damn, I'll just make my own!

[quote name='Puffa469']What were those white flower shaped things with the pink swirls on them? That doesnt look like anything that occurs in nature.[/QUOTE]

That's called Naruto.... seriously. It's pretty much egg based. I'm not a huge fan of it but it goes good in ramen.

Never been to Fukuoka, but I did have some great Ramen near Mt. Fuji. Forgot the towns name but it took us an hour to sit down and eat. The soup was amazing, never tasted anything like it in my life.

My wife and myself watched a Japanese T.V. program about the top Ramen Resturants in Japan and this particular one was in the top 10. The broth was some kinda super secret recipe which made the establishment famous, hence the long wait.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Never been to Fukuoka, but I did have some great Ramen near Mt. Fuji. Forgot the towns name but it took us an hour to sit down and eat. The soup was amazing, never tasted anything like it in my life.

My wife and myself watched a Japanese T.V. program about the top Ramen Resturants in Japan and this particular one was in the top 10. The broth was some kinda super secret recipe which made the establishment famous, hence the long wait.[/quote]

Ippuuden, right? I lived for a year in Okayama, and they had one right near the train station...passed by it hundreds of times, but only ate there for the first time two and a half months before leaving.

My taste buds wept in sheer joy at how good that ramen is.

bread's done
Back