- - - - -

CheapyD's Ramen Thread

#91 bluemonkey101021   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

bluemonkey101021

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

:drool:

That stuff that tomaway posted looks excellent too. If you read this tomaway .. what's in that?

yes, ramen noodles
She boiled the noodle and Beansprout. When cooked just dump all the liquid and mixed it with garlic oil and your favorite spices. Oh also ad chicken, grounded nuts, green onion or cilantro.

It's all right there.

#92 greyzieoriental   is your Daddy CAGiversary!   2375 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

greyzieoriental

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

PHO is great xD
Do they have PHO32 restaurants in LA?

They have really good Vietnamese restaurants in LA
I bet they're even better in Santa Ana

#93 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3023 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

CheapyD, any new Ramen stories recently? Love rereading this thread usually when I'm getting ready for lunch.

#94 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

I had Pho for the first time a few months ago when I went on vaction in DC. From what I understand they eat it kinda like a brunch. We went around 9:00 AM so it was the oddest breakfast I had, but definatly delicious.

#95 Rodster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

I had Pho for the first time a few months ago when I went on vaction in DC. From what I understand they eat it kinda like a brunch. We went around 9:00 AM so it was the oddest breakfast I had, but definatly delicious.

What's Pho? Oh and i've enjoyed all the Ramen stories. It's kind of ironic I stumbled on this thread while playing Persona 3 FES where some of the characters love their Ramen. :D

#96 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:15 AM

Pho (sounds like "Fa-O") is a Vietnamese noodle dish. Traditionally it has a beef broth with thin slices of beef. From what I remember the noodles were lighter than what you find in Ramen and has more of a white-ish color. Mine was garnished with bean sprouts, peppers, onions, etc. I ordered mine a little spicy too, gotta have the heat :hot: I was told that Pho is normally served between breakfast & lunch.

Some of the people I was with tought it's too heavy of a meal to eat that early in the day. Not me. Wish I knew a place around me that served it, but South Flordia sucks when it comes to Asian cusine. The stuff they sell at South Beach & Miami is so Americanized it makes me cry.

#97 Rodster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

Pho (sounds like "Fa-O") is a Vietnamese noodle dish. Traditionally it has a beef broth with thin slices of beef. From what I remember the noodles were lighter than what you find in Ramen and has more of a white-ish color. Mine was garnished with bean sprouts, peppers, onions, etc. I ordered mine a little spicy too, gotta have the heat :hot: I was told that Pho is normally served between breakfast & lunch.

Some of the people I was with tought it's too heavy of a meal to eat that early in the day. Not me. Wish I knew a place around me that served it, but South Flordia sucks when it comes to Asian cusine. The stuff they sell at South Beach & Miami is so Americanized it makes me cry.

I would love to try real authentic Ramen soup as I love soup period. :bouncy: But I understand where you're coming from. I use to live in Miami years ago and now live in Venice, Florida and there are really no places for that type of cuisine.

#98 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:24 AM

I've found a few authenic Asian places down here but haven't seen a place that serves good Ramen.

Once I ordered ramen at this Sushi/Thai restaurant, becasue all Asian food is the same and can be housed under the same roof. Anyways the food's always been good and I saw what I thought was Japanese chefs in the kitchen. I decided to chance it. That was a mistake. The pork was dry, noodles were bland, the broth was "meh." So unless I'm in Tokyo my wife and I make it.

#99 XtoyxboyX   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   10 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

XtoyxboyX

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:26 AM

Rodimus, I think i have a place you should check out if its near you. It sound promising. Here's the link. http://southflorida..../129174/content

Mind you, I live in New York so I have never been here but the reviews say their Pho is good and are actually known for their noodle dishes.

#100 Maklershed   Feed me a stray cat CAGiversary!   34088 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

I should not come into this thread in the morning when I'm starving and at work. That ramen picture that tomaway posted drives me wild. :lol:

#101 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Rodimus, I think i have a place you should check out if its near you. It sound promising. Here's the link. http://southflorida..../129174/content

Mind you, I live in New York so I have never been here but the reviews say their Pho is good and are actually known for their noodle dishes.

Thanks for the link. It looks like it's an hour away from me, but I'll keep it in mind if I'm ever in the area.

#102 lession   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   3 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

The air travel industry is becoming competitive with many airlines serving both domestic and international flights. The two airline carrier giants in Japan are Japan Airlines and ANA airlines, who are dominating the air travel market in Japan with flights to over 50 destinations.
Narita - The New Tokyo International Airport and Kansai International Airport are the two main international airports in Japan. Hadena International Airport in Tokyo handles mostly domestic flights linking these airports to various other cities across the country.
Airport fees are included in the fares to all international destinations if departing from Narita Airport or Kansai Airport (Adult: around 2,650 yen and Child (age 2 to 11): 1,330 yen). Airport fees are not applied at Haneda Airport or any other airports in Japan. There is no need to pay airport fees

The largest airport in Japan, New Tokyo International Airport, is located 60 km to the east of central Tokyo.
The second largest airport in Japan, Kansai International Airport, is located in Osaka Bay, 5 km off the coast and about 60 km. from JR Shin-Osaka

Stop at the tourist information center located on the arrival lobby (first floor) for information. They are staffed by multilingual travel experts who can answer questions and provide free maps and brochures if you need. The staffs are very friendly and helpful. A stop at the Tourist Information center saves travel-planning time in advance. Office hours are from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, every day all year-round.Posted Image

#103 sleepdebt   CAGiversary! Validating   76 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

Rodimus, I used to live in South Florida and let me share with you
one of my favorite Japanese joints in all of South Florida
http://yakko-san.com/
Its opened late too, I used to go every time I would come back from a concert
at the revolution in Ft Lauderdale
I DEFINITELY recommend that you give it a shot

and man, the ramen in CheapyD's post makes my mouth water

and idk bout Pho being a brunch type of thing
its second on my favorite noodle soup dishes
my list would be
Ka Be-ak (I really don't know how to spell this in english, its basically a southeast asian version of udon noodles)
Pho
Ramen

#104 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

That's actually very close to me, I'll check it out. Thanks

Do you recommend anything in particular?

#105 sleepdebt   CAGiversary! Validating   76 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

well depends on how hardcore japanese you want to go
i personally like their crispy bok choy as a starter
and normally order a whole bunch of things off their menu and share amongst our group
Takoyaki, Onigiri, Gyoza, Agedashi tofu, and etx

My korean friend loves the kimchee rice + kimchee ramen
and my american friends get the yakiniku donburi

#106 notworksafe   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   11 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

notworksafe

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

My ramen of choice:

Posted Image

Shinramyun. aka: Death Ramen
Usually only available from asian food stores in the States.

Look at that awesome red color of the broth. Red as in heat. Heat as in fire. Fire in my mouth. Mmm..

Posted Image

I go nuts when I go to asian food stores. I dropped $15 in awesome ramen and noodles during my last trip.

Yes! That stuff is the best! I may go grab some from local asian store down the street now :P

#107 miktau   Carpal'/Tunnel CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

I actually flew into Narita, very nice aiport imo (Fuck newark) and go tfree lunge passes.

#108 xeno   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1157 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

My dinner last night.
http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=4733

#109 Maklershed   Feed me a stray cat CAGiversary!   34088 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Your dinner was blurry.

#110 VioletArrows   La Bella Fleche CAGiversary!   1778 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

VioletArrows

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

I had sort of the same thing, except I used sesame oil, hot sauce, and about 3x more veggies since I didn't have any meat to throw in it. Mmmm... broccoli and baby corn....

#111 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

I don't think Broccoli in Ramen is a good idea.

Edited by Rodimus, 27 January 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#112 xeno   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1157 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

I don't think Broccoli in Ramen is a good idea.

If its steamed broccoli then it tast good , if its raw then now so much.

#113 praystation   He@d Cheap Arse CAGiversary!   503 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

praystation

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

omg i love ramen. if you guys live in sf bay area, ca, usa. go to japan town san francisco, to kinokuniya building, find mifune restaurant, and order "ramen" for $8. omg i think this is the best ramen in whole san francisco. (the second one is char siu ramen with miso soup in hotei near judah st.)

#114 praystation   He@d Cheap Arse CAGiversary!   503 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

praystation

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

That's called Naruto.... seriously. It's pretty much egg based. I'm not a huge fan of it but it goes good in ramen.

huh? i tot naruto is fishcake?

#115 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

huh? i tot naruto is fishcake?

I guess I worded it wrong. Yeah it's a fish cake but it's got an egg white texture.

#116 kratos1010   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   209 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

kratos1010

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

Theres a great little ramen shop down at porter square (massachusetts)
I get the shoryu (soy sauce)
Its really good, almost sweet.
I cant eat the instant stuff after tasting the real thing.

#117 ncc1701p   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

ncc1701p

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

Dude, I searched this thread for Wan Zhu Shi . Have you not eaten at that place yet? One of two locations is in Sangubashi Station close to it. The other is in Akiba in Yodobashi Akiba on the top floor. Sesame Ramen is to DIE FOR. Unfortunately you get a tad bit less ramen than they use to give in previous times only because of the good ol' economy. And this one chinese girl there has the coolest japanese accent for being chinese. Check it out! Next time I'm in Tokyo maybe we can do the Izakaya thing :)

#118 CatLomein  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to NYC and was wondering if there are any good ramen places. Especially if its in the east village. thanks.

#119 ilikegames   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   167 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

ilikegames

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

if you're in the bay area come to san mateo and try out santa ramen. I honestly think this is one of the best ramen houses in the bay area. The menu is mostly ramen. Pick your soup base and then add extra ingredients if desired. It's about $10-15 so it's alittle pricier than other places. Try the pork flavored soup, it's pretty hearty!

#120 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12806 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

I'll be in Tokyo next week. First thing I'll be doing is going here:

http://www.mutekiya....orld/index.html

Delicious