If you could run a video game company, how would you put it on top?

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
If you could own a company that was creating its own system and also publishing and devloping its own first party games, what would you do to put your company on top?

- My first order of business would to make all my games at a very reasonable $20-$30 price range across the board.

- I would make the console as developer friendly as I could. I would also try to keep the royalty cost as low as I could to make sure to get more third-party games.

- I would package a broadband/narrowband modem inside the console like the Xbox, but I would also include a web browser like the Dreamcast had.

- I would sincerely listen to the fans and implement what they want into my games and my console. Afterall, the consumers are the most important ingredient for a successful product.

If I were 3rd party...

bring over all the good games that noa is scared to -- Giftypia, magical vacation, Starfi 1, 2, and 3, kururin, Mother 1 & 2, Tomato adventure, Puzzle Collection...

[quote name='DenisDFat']If I were 3rd party...

bring over all the good games that noa is scared to -- Giftypia, magical vacation, Starfi 1, 2, and 3, kururin, Mother 1 & 2, Tomato adventure, Puzzle Collection...[/quote]

More likely than not, you'd be out of business within a year.
Considering the current market, and the way the average gamer responds to the games that get released, all of your games wouldn't sell and would hit the bargain bins.

As much as everyone proclaims thier love for Earthbound (Mother 2), it rotted on shelves in store all around the country... I picked up my copy at Best Buy for 5 dollars all those years ago.

As much as I'd like many of those games, I can see the business reality that most of them just wouldn't jive with the American market.

blah blah blah.

Bringing over good games is a noble endeavour.

Unlike being EA Games/Sports/Big.

I'd rather lose money doing things right than make money shovelling out crap.

[quote name='DenisDFat']blah blah blah.

Bringing over good games is a noble endeavour.

Unlike being EA Games/Sports/Big.

I'd rather lose money doing things right than make money shovelling out crap.[/quote]

Classic DDF response. Few words and even less of a point. :p

yeah....you gotta make truck loads of money to survive in the videogame buisness i'm sure :)

but i do wish more games from japan would be ported over to usa

nobody thought Animal Crossing would sell though and look at it

took them 10 years to bring over Fire Emblem and it outsold FFTA

[quote name='CaseyRyback']nobody thought Animal Crossing would sell though and look at it

took them 10 years to bring over Fire Emblem and it outsold FFTA[/quote]

Yes, there are some that eeked out a moderate success. Look at Cubivore. It made it over here, and it's sales were weak at best.

I love innovation and creativity in games, but by and large innovation and creativity don't trump brand recognition when it comes to game sales.
You have to remember, the videogame industry is a business first and foremost.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='CaseyRyback']nobody thought Animal Crossing would sell though and look at it

Yes, there are some that eeked out a moderate success. Look at Cubivore. It made it over here, and it's sales were weak at best.

I love innovation and creativity in games, but by and large innovation and creativity don't trump brand recognition when it comes to game sales.
You have to remember, the videogame industry is a business first and foremost.[/quote]

yea Cubivore was a very wierd title to bring over since the objective is something most people would not have any interest in. Personally I do think that the Starfi series should come stateside as well as Giftpia seeing as the series would probably pull in decent numbers and Starfi would fill a platformer void in the GBA library(I mean original content and not ports of SNES and NES games). I also think that the mother series would do pretty well over here since there has become a much larger market for RPG's in the wake of FF7

But had Cubivore been brought over under the Nintendo Label, and with even a meagre marketiung compaiogn, it would have done better.

But I'm sure Atlas at least recouped their lovestment

And if not, shame on you losers for buying tony hawk's analground.

I would develop a unique and original MMORG so I could have a base steady stream of revenue. Of course it would be expensive, but part of the challenge would be building it in a cost effective manner. And if it actually took off and became popular, it would form a base as a profitable company. Then I would delve into other projects from there. If it's not sucessful, well, hey. If I did a normal game and that wasn't sucessful i'd be up the same creek without a paddle anyway.

As for the MMORG... I would do IOU. If you don't know what IOU is, you're not cleared for that information. But it's a game that is SCREAMING to be made into an MMORG.

There was a dreamcast game called segagaga that you ran a video game company. It was never put out in the US but it would have been cool to run your own videogame busness.

My console would be alot like the DC, it would have a keyboard, mouse, web browser. Online your input device would show so you could host games that were controller only or KB/M only. And games that didn't sell well I would offer as mail in prizes for people who sent me points collected from games, like capcom fighter points or betty crocker points.

[quote name='DenisDFat']But had Cubivore been brought over under the Nintendo Label, and with even a meagre marketiung compaiogn, it would have done better.

But I'm sure Atlas at least recouped their lovestment

And if not, shame on you losers for buying tony hawk's analground.[/quote]

Wow. Chastise people for buying the games they actually want to play.
That'll make copies of niche games no one cares about fly right off the shelves!!

was anyone else shocked to see La Purcelle at Target?

I would think that game would be highly niche and they had like 10 copies.

It may sound cliche, but games need to be made that are not only innovative and fun, but push the envelope off the table, stomp on it, and then masturbate all over it. Will I start a dev house one day? Who knows, but if I make it big, I'll give a big shout out to cheapssgamer.....if it's still around by that time.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']nobody thought Animal Crossing would sell though and look at it

Did it? Can we see the numbers anywhere?

[quote name='DenisDFat']I chastise them for being stupid enough to want to play them.

the general population sucks.[/quote]

Perhaps, sir, you should not waste your time communicating with them.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']was anyone else shocked to see La Purcelle at Target?

I would think that game would be highly niche and they had like 10 copies.[/quote]

Yeah, i was kind of surprised by that too. Is it wrong that my first thought was that they won't sell many and i would be able to pick it insanely cheap when it hits clearance price?

[quote name='DenisDFat']I chastise them for being stupid enough to want to play them.

the general population sucks.[/quote]

What if it isn't the general population that sucks. What if you are really the one who sucks? :lol:

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']If you could own a company that was creating its own system and also publishing and devloping its own first party games, what would you do to put your company on top?

- My first order of business would to make all my games at a very reasonable $20-$30 price range across the board.

- I would make the console as developer friendly as I could. I would also try to keep the royalty cost as low as I could to make sure to get more third-party games.

- I would package a broadband/narrowband modem inside the console like the Xbox, but I would also include a web browser like the Dreamcast had.

- I would sincerely listen to the fans and implement what they want into my games and my console. Afterall, the consumers are the most important ingredient for a successful product.[/quote]

easy to say and would be hard to pull off when everyone wants there money. if you could create like a open source console with anyone wanting to make a system like the alatiar. then anyone could make the game that wanted to. I am sure big developers would get into to "give back" and make little games here and there. that would be sweet.

bread's done
Back