Hatefull ignorant people

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechhybrid

Banned
I can't believe that on here I would have heard this:

Fireball343 - I, like trustcompany1013, am against gays "

You know I have had to listen to this crap on every message board forum I have been on, and the shock never wears off of what I hear. Being gay myself I am a little defensive when someone starts with the queer bashing, it's hurtful, I have never once in my life said that straight people are disgusting, or that lesbians are sick, you know what if you can't deal with how people want to have sex, then you need to grow up. You don't have to like it, nobody is forcing you to. Saying you're against gays is the same as being racist. You don't like somebody because of the way they have sex? That's too ignorant for me to comprehend, I hope there are others on here who feel that this statement was ignorant and uncalled for.

It wasnt directed towards me, even if it were I wouldnt want an apology, I just wish this type of idiocy wasn't found on here.

mechhybrid, thats life, no matter where u go there are always going to be people who will put u down, but u just not let them get to u and let the people who are there for u to influence your life

[quote name='daphatty']I urge caution. The instant this becomes a flame war I will lock this thread.[/quote]

This being the case, I agree with whatever position stirs up the most poop.

Yeah, this is soon going to become a flame war... I agree with you though, people shouldn't hate just because they have different beliefs then themselves.

Now, I will try to be the voice of reason. The two "gay-bashers", while ignorant, didn't say something like "death to all gays". Their statement wasn't exactly hate-filled, and despite being ignorant and crude, it could have been worse. And truth be told, no matter what anyone says, everyone is a little rascist or exclusionary to those outside of their group. It is human nature to have an affinity to those who are like you. That being said, I believe that people should try to overcome that part of their nature.

Personally I'd like to see what fireball and trustcompany have to say in response.

Daphatty, I don't think your urge of caution is neccesary. It feels like we are being policed when we are supposed to be policing ourselves. I think you should give the benefit of the doubt first. If it does not pan out then pull a nike on the thread and "Just Do It"

Actually, this forum has been pretty good, IMO, about not having flame wars. Lately, we've been able to have some pretty nice conversations without attacking each other.

Now, my thoughts on this are they have every right to voice what they think about gays.

Gay people are not a culture. They are people who are attracted to their own sex. Saying they are against gays implies that they are against being gay.

Since gay people aren't a race, they can not be racist. More likely you were saying they are prejudice against gays, but even then they are making an informed decision on what they think about gay people. So I wouldn't say they are prejudice either.

I think they are just expressing their views on homosexual relationships.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Bigotry is wrong not matter who it is directed at. And ignorance is the main cause.[/quote]

No, the main cause is religion. A man who has sex with other man is not impregnating any women, and therefore does not contribute to increasing the size of the tribe (or the nation). The bibles prescribes death by stoning to deter men from behavior which makes the tribe weaker.

Women who have sex with women, at least in biblical times, are likely to do that in addition to, not instead of, straight sex. So the bible doesn't really care about that.

Fast forward a few millennia. All tribes/nations are way too big, but nobody's around to update the old laws. Many people are used to accept the bible without even questioning the motives of the people who wrote it (since it was god, right?). There you have it - religion-induced homophobia. The bible says we should kill them, and who are mortals to argue with it?

In all fairness, eldad, religion alone isn't causing these problems. It's people who can't place these old scriptures in their proper historical context (i.e. the ignorant) that are creating the problems.

I'm in total agreement with you - people who spread such hateful messages have no place in a civilized society. But let's not lump the blame purely on religion. The religious community was a large source of support during the civil rights movement. I still hold out hope that it will do the same during the sexual rights movement.

[quote name='mechhybrid']I can't believe that on here I would have heard this:

Fireball343 - I, like trustcompany1013, am against gays "

You know I have had to listen to this crap on every message board forum I have been on, and the shock never wears off of what I hear. Being gay myself I am a little defensive when someone starts with the queer bashing, it's hurtful, I have never once in my life said that straight people are disgusting, or that lesbians are sick, you know what if you can't deal with how people want to have sex, then you need to grow up. You don't have to like it, nobody is forcing you to. Saying you're against gays is the same as being racist. You don't like somebody because of the way they have sex? That's too ignorant for me to comprehend, I hope there are others on here who feel that this statement was ignorant and uncalled for.[/quote]

Mech - My prayers are with you, man. Don't let these fools get you down. It took one of my roommates in college a long time to deal with his sexuality, but he's now a healthier person for having done so. It's awesome to see that you're already comfortable with your identity.

You stick to your guns and hold your head up high. For every one of these ignorant bastards, there's another person that's willing to stand up for your rights.

[quote name='BigHow']In all fairness, eldad, religion alone isn't causing these problems. It's people who can't place these old scriptures in their proper historical context (i.e. the ignorant) that are creating the problems.

I'm in total agreement with you - people who spread such hateful messages have no place in a civilized society. But let's not lump the blame purely on religion. The religious community was a large source of support during the civil rights movement. I still hold out hope that it will do the same during the sexual rights movement.[/quote]

It's still civil rights, not "sexual rights". It's just the minority discriminated against that's different.

And just tell me - how many homophibic atheists do you know?

@mechhybrid

stop being hyper sensative and learn to accept other people's opinions of your lifestyle.

In fact this seems like a troll topic cause you can't go 30 min on the internet without realizing that a lot of people are going to disagree with you, hate you or flame you.

I agree that religion has fueled the fire to some degree. In modern society, the bible/religion is used as a scapegoat for a lot of crazy things people do. I think it's a less "nobler" reason than religion why gays are discriminated against. I think it's mostly straight men who are scared that gay men will make advances, try to turn them, etc. Fewer women seem to care than men. If you have never had any dealings with gay men or women, please do not jump to conclusions. Most are not the "wacky, flamboyant, boy/girl crazy" people that television and movies make them out to be. They're normal, thoughtful people who have feelings just like everyone else.

I believe that you should create your opinions about an individual, that you know personally, on how they act. Not condemn an entire race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. just because of what you've seen on TV or even what you were told by friends, parents, etc.

It looks to me like someone was just voicing there opinion about gay sexuality.

Nothing looked wrong or out of place.

If the person who started this topic wants the right to be a open homosexual then you must give the right to people to "not" accept it.

Last time I checked this was still a free country.

I'm not loking to start anything but we all must respect others opinions on all topics.

Why is anyones sexual lifestlye on a gaming board to begin with, God only knows?

I have nothing directly against gays, but as many others, I find myself calling random things I'm angered at (a map we should've won on Socom 2) "gay".

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='BigHow']In all fairness, eldad, religion alone isn't causing these problems. It's people who can't place these old scriptures in their proper historical context (i.e. the ignorant) that are creating the problems.

I'm in total agreement with you - people who spread such hateful messages have no place in a civilized society. But let's not lump the blame purely on religion. The religious community was a large source of support during the civil rights movement. I still hold out hope that it will do the same during the sexual rights movement.[/quote]

It's still civil rights, not "sexual rights". It's just the minority discriminated against that's different.

And just tell me - how many homophibic atheists do you know?[/quote]

Heh, it looks like we're never going to agree on anything, eldad.

But to answer your question, I know a ton. I know a lot of men who find homosexuality to be threatening to their own sense of masculinity. No religion necessary.

[quote name='Maxwell31']If the person who started this topic wants the right to be a open homosexual then you must give the right to people to "not" accept it.
[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by "not accept it".

Not condone it personally, or somehow try to change it?

If an african-american wants the right to vote, do I have to give the right to people to "not" accept it?

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='BigHow']In all fairness, eldad, religion alone isn't causing these problems. It's people who can't place these old scriptures in their proper historical context (i.e. the ignorant) that are creating the problems.

And just tell me - how many homophibic atheists do you know?[/quote]

I actually know just one, not really that personally though. But I don't if you would call him an atheist. He may believe there is a god, yet he really hates all organized religion so it's pretty close.

Thats dumb for someone to say something like that on this site, since mostly males are on this site, I have the upmost repect for anybody until they disrespect me, or dont give me a chance.

[quote name='BigNick']I really really really like lipstick lesbians.[/quote]

I could not agree with anyone in the world more than you. :lol:

I have no prob with gay people. what floats ur boat. is ur biz I feel no one has the right to judge anyone on any bases.
my heart beats red blood just like yours. thats how I look at it.

I too had to deal with a sexual battle of my own...and it made me realize how hard it is for homosexuals...Last year I thought I was bi because I had these wierd feelings towards guys...I told my mom and friends...well my mom started to cry and said "how could this happen?! I thought I raised you right!"...almost everyone at my school found out and started calling me "a fag" or "half a fag" (since I thought I was bi) and all this hate started to build on me...well I later found out it was my depression causing me to become confused and not know who I was...I am not confortable with my sexuality and dont care what people think (I am striaght now)...I hate it when I hear someone calling an inanimate object "gay" or calling someone a fag for no reason other than they dont like them...although I dont see how being called a ciggerette has anything to do with homosexuality...I know where you come from and Im sorry you have to deal with ignorant religous people that think "gay is wrong"...I wish people would look to themselves before critisizing others...

the best thing is not be be defensive about whatever minority you belong to, the healthiest people are the ones that can joke at their own expense
its of course much more noticeable to be a minority when you're around different "outgroup"
just think of all the good things about your "ingroup."
if i was gay i'd find the metrosexual craze humorous as hell

mechhybrid, I've got a serious question. First off, let me say that I have nothing against gay people. In fact I support gay marriage, etc. But there was this shirt I was looking to buy. It says, "I support gay marriage as long as both chicks are hot." I actually, don't mind if the chicks aren't hot or aren't chicks, but I did think it is funny.

My question is, do you think this is offensive as a gay person?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='BigNick']I really really really like lipstick lesbians.[/quote]

Do you still like them if they're midgets?[/quote]

even better!

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='BigNick']I really really really like lipstick lesbians.[/quote]

Do you still like them if they're midgets?[/quote]

even better![/quote]

You know, I saw that reply coming from a mile away.

/he sets up, and....

You dont have to like someone to respect them.

I am against being gay too. That doesn't mean I am gay bashing or against any individual person. How many times do people say they are against Republicans or Democrats. Does this mean you are disrespecting them? You are stating a personal opinion on a group. This is NOT racism. Bigotry..maybe but there is a ton of that here with all the political crap going on.

We really need a political forums to weed out all these threads that generally turn into flaming. I hate having to read the OT and see "Bush is a prick" thread every other day. It's bothersome to me. And yeah...I could skip over it but the bait is good and I take it too often. This thread is a good example. It's just bait and nothing else.

It's good to hear that most people felt it was an off beat comment, and trust me I believe fully that you may not like gay people, but that's still as taboo as saying "well I just don't like black people" it's sounds wrong and hurtful. I agree with a lot of the posters and appreciate the input though, and I'm pleased with how well the community on here has responded to this, I respect all of you guys who have responded without anything hateful or tasteless, thanks.

mechhybrid, I've got a serious question. First off, let me say that I have nothing against gay people. In fact I support gay marriage, etc. But there was this shirt I was looking to buy. It says, "I support gay marriage as long as both chicks are hot." I actually, don't mind if the chicks aren't hot or aren't chicks, but I did think it is funny.

Nah, it's not offensive, I find no offense in it unless something is completely bashing it, like saying you "just" don't like it. I would be pissed if the shirt said something about hating gays or made a hurtful joke. Yes joking at ones own group is fine, a lot of gay friends of mine are very stereotypical, I for one am not, so we joke around a lot. There is just a fine line that everyone has a feeling about whether it should be crossed or not. Unfortunately some people either don't know where the limits are or just don't care.

[quote name='mechhybrid']It's good to hear that most people felt it was an off beat comment, and trust me I believe fully that you may not like gay people, but that's still as taboo as saying "well I just don't like black people" it's sounds wrong and hurtful.[/quote]

If somebody doesn't like black people personally, that's his right, but if somebody says he's "against" them, I'll be wondering if he wants them all dead or at least out of sight. It's not really the same thing as being against republicans (don't agree with their views, try to counter their influence). You can't "not agree" with a certain race (or a certain orientation).

Ummm...I like gay people just fine. I like and dislike people as individuals. I am against people being "gay" but I always respect peoples right to do as they please as long as it doesnt hurt someone else. My belief is that gay marriage does affect me and forces me to state my problems with it. I think gays might be better off without gay marriages. It forces many heterosexuals and families to openly state that they are against something gay. Without this topic of marriage gays wouldnt be considered an issue. We are after all only talking about a small percentage of the country.

you shouldnt get upset with them voicing their opinion. They were simply saying that they do not support it..

i myself do not support homosexuality.. i'm not gonna bash someone for being gay. I dont go around making fun of gays, but i dont support it. Thats just me, its my opinion, and i believe i'm entitled to it..

Its like.. if people want to be gay, thats fine with me... i'm not gonna go to a gay rally, where they're trying to get gays the right to get married, but i'm not gonna go try and stop their rally, and protest against what they're doing.

[quote name='BigNick']Homosexuality goes against the natural evolution of man.[/quote]

How's that?

[quote name='BigNick']Homosexuality goes against the natural evolution of man.[/quote]

No it doesn't; nature is more complex than you understand.

But you know what does? Having sex with infertile partners. Are you "against" that? Should we make it illegal?

I'm against people being "black".

Yeah, think about that for a minute and ponder how absurd that sounds.

Because when you say that you're against people being "gay", you sound just as absurd.

Being gay isn't like a poltiical affiliation. It's not a choice you can make. It's part of who you are. If we, as a society, were more accepting, then we wouldn't have as many people making the "choice" to come out of the closet. People would just be who they naturally are.

And, Defender, with or without the topic of gay marriage, homosexuality is an issue in this country. Opposition to marriage is just one of the many obstacles that homosexual face - work discrimination, stereotyping and violence come to mind off the top of my head.

And it's somewhat close-minded to blame the victims for raising discussion about the crime. When the Civil Rights Movement occurred, it forced a lot of bigots to admit that they didn't want integration because they felt like Blacks were inferior. If anything, I think that forced dialogue caused our country to become a better place.

[quote name='defender']Ummm...I like gay people just fine. I like and dislike people as individuals. I am against people being "gay" but I always respect peoples right to do as they please as long as it doesnt hurt someone else. [/quote]

Substitute the word white, black, Jewish, handicapped or Chinese for "gay" in the above and see if you would make that argument. Being gay is not a choice, it's a biological hard wiring. You can't change it if you want to. To discriminate against someone for something they have no control over is dumb.

My belief is that gay marriage does affect me and forces me to state my problems with it. I think gays might be better off without gay marriages. It forces many heterosexuals and families to openly state that they are against something gay.

Gay marriage does no force you to state your opinions on the matter. You do that of your own free will.

Without this topic of marriage gays wouldnt be considered an issue. We are after all only talking about a small percentage of the country.

Yeah, no gay people ever got the shit beat out of them before they started wanting to get married.

Substitute the word white, black, Jewish, handicapped or Chinese for "gay" in the above and see if you would make that argument. Being gay is not a choice, it's a biological hard wiring. You can't change it if you want to. To discriminate against someone for something they have no control over is dumb.

you cannot compare race with sexuality... they are completely different.

you're comparison is like someone telling me "I hate you" and then me saying... "replace the word 'you' with the word 'jesus' .. see dont you feel bad now?".

[quote name='BigHow']MrBadExample, you are my Brother in this.[/quote]

url.gif

"We're all brothers and sisters, baby"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back