Shaq-fuing Mappy!!!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I recently had my first capsule machine experience here in Japan. Capsule machines contain little toys (in plastic capsules) for 100 yen (about $0.80) or so. The machines are very similar to the ones you find in the US, except they are much more popular here and have a much greater variety of products.

I was looking for a keychain and wanted something video game related, but mostly all I could find were Gundam type items and other things I wasn't really interested in. After looking at Yodobashi Camera through what seemed like endless rows of capsule machines, I finally found one that caught my eye.

This machine contained 7 different Namco related items including the ships from Xevious and Galaxian, Dig-Dug and one of his enemies, Mappy and one of his enemies, and the flag from Rally X (wtf?).

I'm thinking to myself, "as long as I don't get Mappy or the Rally X flag, I'm golden". So I put in 100 yen and I get the the bad guy from Dig-Dug. Not bad, but it would be cool if I could score Dig-Dug himself to complete the set.
I drop in another 100 yen and of course I get Mappy.

I begin to walk away, but then think I should try again for Dig-Dug. I change up a 500 yen coin and try again.

I think you probably see where this is heading...Of course I get two more Mappys in a row and walk away with head hung low, freely muttering, "fucking Mappy" aloud, knowing nobody will understand me anyway.

mappy.jpg

The Mappy is a peaceful creature, his primary means of attack was a cat tail which made the enemies do a dance. Be proud to own a mappy.

Hey, I love Mappy! I always wanted a house full of trampolines...

I'm glad I'm not in Japan because I would probably waste all my money on ramen and capsule toys.

I know how you feel. I was trying to get a full set of Simpson's capsules here, I got 7/8 with with 10 tries, then kept getting a fucking Tod Flanders when I needed a Rod Flanders. 8 more tries and a few people in between I finally got it, and was satisfied.

It is like Shenmue but this time, it's for reals! Anyways you should start buying at least one capsule each time you see a game related one. Then when you got around 30 start a "Win Cheapy's capsule toys."

I hear there are some sort of bear type figurines that come from those capsule machines and each bear is the same model, but just different design and color. When my friend came back from Japan he had a bunch of them. Have you seen any of these Cheapy?

[quote name='thorbahn3']It is like Shenmue but this time, it's for reals! Anyways you should start buying at least one capsule each time you see a game related one. Then when you got around 30 start a "Win Cheapy's capsule toys."[/QUOTE]

Yea but in shenmue a capsules toy was 500 fucking yen and that was in the late 80's wtf.

[quote name='CheapyD'] I think you probably see where this is heading... [/QUOTE]

Damn straight. My friends, when they studied abroad in Japan, ended up spending way too much time at various gatchapon machines all over the place. Some of their finds were absolutely amazing, especially considering that some of what they picked up were exquisite for less than the required $1 a shot.

But damn, are the odds ever against you when you work those. Supposedly NOT thinking about nailing a particular prize (or the ones you wish to avoid) works well, but I think that's just psychological bull.

Hey, on the other hand, if you ever get a stockpile of ones you don't want you can just offer it up to people on the board and we'll jump on those as if they were made out of gold!

Yea Capsule machines would be my crack if I was there. I've seen Takara Transformer capsules. If you spot any of those please make another thread with pics. Or if you even happen to wander upon a Transformer Mega Happy Super Store, I'd love to see pics. I'm curious how readily available old Gen1 Japanese Transformers are in stores or if they have flea market collectible type stores there that would even have that stuff.

[quote name='Graystone']Yea but in shenmue a capsules toy was 500 fucking yen and that was in the late 80's wtf.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they were 100 yen. Hell I just beat the damn game yesterday. I bought so many of those damn things and I still didn't get all the toys.

Thats what they changed them to? When I was in Hong Kong last January, I picked up some of these, but they only had one of each game.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Who the fuck is Mappy?[/QUOTE]
That's what I was gonna say. And yeah Dig Dug would have been sweet.

I liked Mappy in the day. I bought one of those dang TV joystick controllers last year at Wally's world for $10 just so I could play it again (under the guise it was for my son of course!).

Biscuit

Perfect time for a holiday contest on CAG, then.
First prize: a mappy keychain!
Second prize: a mappy keychain!
Third prize: ...a mappy keychain!!!

On a completely unrelated note: why the :censored: are these final fantasy cactuar plush dolls so expensive?! I'll bet in Japan they cost a nickel and everybody has a pair sitting on either end of the sofa.

I apologize for bumping this, but the comment just fits so well here...

There's a store in Ann Arbor called Wizzywig that's essentially a Japanese import store. They just bought a capsule machine, which is now sitting by the front doors. Right now, it's definitely geared towards American tastes - they've got Nightmare Before Christmas and Pokémon capsules, along with Naruto and an anime whose name escapes me - and the capsules are expensive, at $2.50 a shot.

So far, I've gotten the Mayor, Jack, and Zero from the Nightmare sets. I'm thinking it's time to move on to the Pokémon toys and see what I find there. Even though the toys are expensive, they're worth it - the packaging, character-specific tin coffins inside of the bubbles, is great. The toys themselves are incredibly detailed - the Mayor's head turns, and he's even got fingernails. I'm impressed, and slightly jealous. :)

If they ever get the Namco toys, though, I'll be sure to mention it here. )

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']

There's a store in Ann Arbor called Wizzywig that's essentially a Japanese import store. )[/QUOTE]

I havent been there but I have seen it, do you know if they sell imported games?

[quote name='dtarasev']I havent been there but I have seen it, do you know if they sell imported games?[/QUOTE]
Nope.

Their focus seems to be on everything BUT the games themselves, actually...music, anime, clothing, toys, food (Pocky!), and a ton of gaming related items, but no actual games.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Nope.

Their focus seems to be on everything BUT the games themselves, actually...music, anime, clothing, toys, food (Pocky!), and a ton of gaming related items, but no actual games.[/QUOTE]

ah so kinda like hottopic.. where they have like 5 cds /vinyls and the rest is clothing.. and the bag says "everything about the music"

[quote name='urzishra14']ah so kinda like hottopic.. where they have like 5 cds /vinyls and the rest is clothing.. and the bag says "everything about the music"[/QUOTE]
Not really...they never claimed to be a gaming store. Just Japanese. :)

bread's done
Back