Wombat's Guitar Hero (PS2) Review

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
You Might be a Guitar Hero
by Wombat

In order to properly review Guitar Hero, I figured the best way would be to test the reader to see if the game is right for you. To do this I have decided to rip off one of America’s most beloved comedians. Sorry Carrot Top, it’s not you this time.

If you have ever lost the ability to control your fingers and your toes simultaneously?

If you are Dynamite like a laser beam?

If you have ever given direction by moving your arm in a 360 degree motion, finished off with wagging finger pointing to the right?

If you have ever seen your MaryAnn walk away?

If you think the only writer of Frankenstein was a skinny albino?

If you think WWI was started by Scottish Pop Band?

If you have a sampler that says “History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men”?

If you know that answer to “Who played guitar?” is always Ziggy?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then do yourself a favor and go pick up Guitar Hero today. In true Rock & Roll fashion, GH is the rhythm game for people who don’t like rhythm games. The game looks you straight in the eye and says, “Rob Zombie wouldn’t hop around on a plastic mat and neither should you”. From the moment you pick up the mini-Gibson controller (complete with whammy bar) you know you are in for a new gaming experience, one that grabs you by the short and curlys’ and takes you on the Highway to Hell (AC/DC is noticeably missing in the game).

The game follows a similar format to Harmonix’s previous rhythm games (Frequency & Amplitude). Colored notes scroll down the screen, surrounded by an on-stage performance of your band. Press the corresponding button on your Guitar’s fret board, and hit the strum bar when the notes hit the bottom of the screen. Nail a riff of specially marked notes and you can activate Star Power (multiplier increase) by tilting up the neck of the guitar, rock star style.

While the concept sounds simple, the game really shines in the control, sound, and experience that it produces. You will actually feel like a guitar god rocking out with a real band, using the whammy bar and jumping around like a madman. Unlike DDR, jumping isn’t part of the game, but I bet you won’t be able to resist.

The game can be difficult at times and having big hands can be a definite advantage, an advantage I don’t have. I had a hard time completing songs on Medium difficulty without a few tries and I believe Hard was designed by Satan as some sort soul-buying requirement. I can’t imagine the pain that Expert would bring.

The only flaws with this game I would say is that for every great song present, you can think of one that would have just been even more perfect. I demand a sequel/music pack add-on soon. My only other complaint is the shop. It doesn’t really seem necessary. Sure, it’s cool to change my guitar’s appearance, but once that music starts, I never look at anything but the notes, so the need to customize my avatar becomes moot. I’d rather buy new sounds instead. Perhaps turning the select button into a peddle control, or letting me change from a fuzzy sound to clean one or a “why so much echo?” sound. Those would be worth my time in the shop.

All in all, Guitar Hero is not just a great game, but a great experience that highlights why the current generation of systems might just have plenty of life left.

9.5/10

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Maybe now everyone will shut up about it, since CAG has been the official Guitar Hero fansite since the damn game came out.[/QUOTE]

Bitch bitch bitch.

P.S. Guitar Hero is amazing.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Maybe now everyone will shut up about it, since CAG has been the official Guitar Hero fansite since the damn game came out.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I really need to see more topics about how awesome the 360 is and how the games are just amazing. Also I really want to know constantly how no one got one and how everyone is all pissed off about it.

If anything CAG turns into Xbox fanboy heaven whenever something comes out, be it a new console or game.

hell the main topic referring to the game has not seen a new post in almost a week.

[quote name='Mike23']Any other reviews by people slightly less homosexual?

Kidding, sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]

Not on this website ;)

fuck you.

Cheapy and Wombat got to preview it and really liked it so they have the full authority to praise it.

stfu.

The Wombat was on the cusp of greatness. He could sense that envelope between real and realm, yet it eluded him. He had tweked his technique to technical precision and transcended the limits of old endeavors almost to have touched the sun. His failures had fueled his fire as he again reached for the body and hoisted it to it’s proper playing position.

A slow meandering waffed in waves over the machine’s surface, easily met, sustained, and released by his hand. The riffs like angry lovers demanding their due, and parting with satisfaction. They came again and again and were relentless. The power brewed beyond an ordinary control and the burning within him resonated with unstoppable emission.

His grip slipping finger sweat suaged the icons on the nape. Notes dripping, mind
tripping, digits flipping, he arced into the groove. The mass of his body heaved the balance between will and submission and the arch of his back forged the barrier between void and sky. The shattered pieces of yesterday’s life whisked wearily past him in whisper.

The next phaze of fantasy filtered through him as through a prism, and he the angellic amplifier of eternal fire. He cast his shadows to the ether and experienced the life that lived, and the darkenss at the end of time.

this game could replace Karaoke if they had it at bars... its even better if you are drunk

Imagine "guitar hero tournament night" at your local watering hole... you could even hook up the karaoke system to let some other drunk guy do the vocals. They'd make a killing.

This game is really fucking fun, mostly because of the controller (I didn't buy it but played it at a local retailer). It's more accessable for people who are intimidated by standard controllers or mats (or plastic maracas) -- they can say, "oh cool, a guitar! I get to rock out and not feel geeky!" But if you're not into all the macho metal stuff, you might be turned off by the song selection (which seems to account for 90% of its popularity). Still, it's cool to see people getting excited about a rhythm game. I hope the price comes down eventually though.

Just tried it yesterday at BB and I have to say it's really addictive and fun. I even told my gf to get it for me for Xmas, hope she comes through!

Just got one for christmas and love it. This is the first game in awhile that has me wanting to keep playing it for hours. A lot of fun, just remember to get some splints for your fingers if you play on expert mode (YIKEES!!!!)

Got it for Christmas. This has to be one of the best games of the year, if not this generation. I can't wait til I get a chance to play more medium-level songs. I have small hands, but I never really get less than 4 stars.

P.S. Crossroads and No One Knows are a BITCH!!! I love that Jimi Hendrix song, though. That one is really fun to play.

bread's done
Back