Applying screen protector

jfunkdpg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just bought my 2nd Hori Screen Protector, after ruining the first one trying to get it on. For some reason, I couldnt get the air bubbles to go away. And now I'm trying to apply this one and the same thing seems to be happening. There are little dust particles on my bottom screen and it seems to be picking them up. Anyone got advice/tricks that worked for you when you were putting it on?

Edit:

After trying to put it on again the screen protector now has about a million dust particles on it. What do I do now?

i usually buy two of any screen protector i buy because i know i will destroy the first one. i've heard of a couple of tricks to keep from getting dust under it during application. the first is to apply it in your bathroom after running a hot shower, the increased humidity keeps dust from floating around, the second method is try doing the application inside some kind of clear plastic container that you can get your hands in like a zip lock bag or soemthing. I dont know how the hori screen protector is but i used one from javoedge and it was the stiff kind, i didnt have trouble with air bubbles or dust when applying that one.

read the instructions. i read it. it says use tape to get rid of dust.

Read ppl read. doesnt hurt to read. it makes u learn.

[quote name='trunks982']read the instructions. i read it. it says use tape to get rid of dust.

Read ppl read. doesnt hurt to read. it makes u learn.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. You're an ass, but thanks regardless.

if ur getting air bubbles its the dust, use tape to clean up the screen, i had the same problem and now i got a nice clear screen protector on, the only air bubbles are at the very edge that i cant get rid of but doesnt bother me, i asked my friend if he saw the screen protector and he couldnt even see it, so these are very nice, 1 pair should last the whole DS lifetime according to the instructions, good luck on it

also use tape on the screen protector itself so that u get the dust u might have gotten on there off the 1st times u tried applying it

Thanks for the tips i'm gonna try to find one today so my new MK DS stays minty fresh as the day I bought it! (yesterday) :D

Is one brand better than the rest??

I assume the Hori one is the best? It looks like the official one from the pic @ EB.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']Thanks for the response. You're an ass, but thanks regardless.[/QUOTE]

why am i being an ass? im just trying to help. did i say anything wrong? im just saying that the instructions is used for reading. thats why they provided for u. then how did u know which protector to put on the screens. theres 2 protectors that are similar but one is for top and one is for bottom. its similar but different.

I've made more than one lengthy post about how to do this successfully...search my posts in the DS/GBA forum.

For bubbles that are just there and NOT caused by DUST or SPECKS or some form of PARTICLATE MATTER, they're just TRAPPED AIR (caps to emphasize point), just use one of the plastic protector sleeves/covers that you peeled off to apply the thing, place it on top of the bubbled protector (so as to not scratch or damage the protector) and use your nail, a credit card, or something broad and flat, and GENTLY work the bubble out towards the side.

If dust is causing the bubble, then just lift with tape, grab a compressed air can or a second piece of tape, and get it out.

A compressed air can is almost a MUST when applying so you can give it a good blast before you start. In fact, see if you can have someone with you so they can keep the dust off while you toil away.

Cheers.

I agree with Arkay, you need a compressed air can. I also recommened some of those medical alcohol pads. Definitely DO NOT touch the side that is going to "stick" to the screen. Here's how I did mine and I still needed a 2nd one because I screwed up my touch screen the first time by touching the "sticky" side of the screen protector.

1) get rid of sticky gunk with alcohol pad(s)
2) wipe away residue with included micro fiber cloth
3) get rid of dust with compressed air
4) repeat until satisfied

My suggested strategy with the Hori protectors is thus:

1) Before you even begin, have the yellow cloth that came with your protectors, a can of compressed air, and a scotch tape dispenser right next to you.

2) Open your system and assess both screens. Sometimes in the product testing process, finger prints can end up on the screen. Check for those, and for smudges and skin oil and whatnot from the testers. If something catches your eye, wipe it with the yellow hori cloth. If the screen looks very clean, don't wipe (the cloth can generate static, which can attract dust...if the screen is pretty damn clean you're only making a headache for yourself if you anally try to get it somehow even cleaner)

3) Make sure you have the protectors laid out so you know exactly which is for the touch screen and which for the top screen. Make sure they are ready to go, and that you've read all the other instructions in the hori packaging.

4) Give the screen you're applying to a good blast of compressed air, and then grab the appropriate protector and apply as intructed by the packaging. If you see you're about to catch some dust when you have one corner down and you're bringing the rest of the protector down, grab the air again and blast away, and then drop the protector and assess the situation.

5) For bubbles which clearly have some dust at the heart of them, grab a piece of tape, and gently...GENTLY lift up the nearest corner of the protector...when you get it up enough to get the dust, either blast it with air or use another piece of tape, carefully so as to not stick it to the screen or protector, and that way you can just let the adhesive of the tape get the dust.

6) For all other bubbles, just use something to dull the pressure you're about to apply, like the plastic sleeves the protectors come in, and just rub slowly, patiently, and very gently WORK the air towards the nearest edge of the protector.

7) Lastly, wipe your own fingerprints and skin oil off the protectors, see if its all good, and then start playing.

8) To straighten a crooked protector, just use the tape to get it up and realign, but you'll have to go through all the same procedures.

9) I'm never writing these steps again.

Put the Hori protector on my red DS last week with no problems whatsoever. Not one single spec of dust or air bubble under them at all. Then again, I am used to putting these onto PDAs so this was no challenge. Also I did this before even using the DS even once so I wasn't fighting with the screens trying to clean them. Just use a brief compressed air to blast away any dust left from being inside the box and slid the protectors on with a credit card from one side to the other.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']My suggested strategy with the Hori protectors is thus:

1) Before you even begin, have the yellow cloth that came with your protectors, a can of compressed air, and a scotch tape dispenser right next to you.

2) Open your system and assess both screens. Sometimes in the product testing process, finger prints can end up on the screen. Check for those, and for smudges and skin oil and whatnot from the testers. If something catches your eye, wipe it with the yellow hori cloth. If the screen looks very clean, don't wipe (the cloth can generate static, which can attract dust...if the screen is pretty damn clean you're only making a headache for yourself if you anally try to get it somehow even cleaner)

3) Make sure you have the protectors laid out so you know exactly which is for the touch screen and which for the top screen. Make sure they are ready to go, and that you've read all the other instructions in the hori packaging.

4) Give the screen you're applying to a good blast of compressed air, and then grab the appropriate protector and apply as intructed by the packaging. If you see you're about to catch some dust when you have one corner down and you're bringing the rest of the protector down, grab the air again and blast away, and then drop the protector and assess the situation.

5) For bubbles which clearly have some dust at the heart of them, grab a piece of tape, and gently...GENTLY lift up the nearest corner of the protector...when you get it up enough to get the dust, either blast it with air or use another piece of tape, carefully so as to not stick it to the screen or protector, and that way you can just let the adhesive of the tape get the dust.

6) For all other bubbles, just use something to dull the pressure you're about to apply, like the plastic sleeves the protectors come in, and just rub slowly, patiently, and very gently WORK the air towards the nearest edge of the protector.

7) Lastly, wipe your own fingerprints and skin oil off the protectors, see if its all good, and then start playing.

8) To straighten a crooked protector, just use the tape to get it up and realign, but you'll have to go through all the same procedures.

9) I'm never writing these steps again.[/QUOTE]

nicely said

I used a pelican brand screen protector. This thing put itself on. I started on the left, slowly lowered it down and it sucked itself to the screen. I had one small bubble that came right out with the little "card" you were supposed to use to remove bubbles.

So I vote for Pelican.

Thanks for all the help guys. It took me a while, but I finally got it on, with minimal bubbles, and they're all pretty much near the edges so they don't really bother me.

bread's done
Back