Any good arcades in Houston?

_heretic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I saw someone posted this question in the Southeast forum, and I realized I might try here also. I've been looking for a good arcade in the Houston area, especially ones with a good selection of pinball machines (or any pinball machines, really).

Anyone know of any places? Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Uhm, don't know any arcades, really, other than places like Jillian's or Dave & Buster's. There used to be a really good one near my house (northwest Houston - Hwy 6 / 290) but it closed a few months ago.

The only place I know about in the Houston area is Dave & Buster's. I don't recall if they have pinball machines though.

Yeah, I went to Dave & Busters last night. They do have two pinball machines, but my friend, who seems to be kind of a pinball enthusiast, didn't like them at all. They were both video pinball machines, something like Attack of the Martians and Star Wars Episode II pinball. I think his words were "That Star Wars game is the worst thing that ever happened to pinball."

the_gloaming: I haven't heard of Jillian's before, but I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

the_gloaming, which arcade are you talking about that use to be at 290 and hwy 6. Cause I live next to 290 and hwy 6 and dont remember any around here.

One of The best arcades in Houston,TX is the Stargate arcade also known as "The Gate".If you're into fighting games,this is the place to be at.The competition is fierce for fighting games.They don't carry pinball games though.They do however carry games such as metal slug and Super Puzzle Fighter.It's mostly fighting games though.The owner is a player himself so his machines are very well kept.He's even hosted tournaments such as Texas Showdown and aslo hosts weekly tournaments depending on players demand.It's only open on Friday's and Saturday's though.It used to be open every day,but it wasn't doing too well so the owner decided to open it on weekends only, usually from 6pm-2am.

The address is 5562 Gasmer suite M

basically it's 610 loop, exit South Post Oak, go past 1st light which is Willowbend, and the 2nd stop light will be S. Willow.

take a right on S. Willow, keep going up the street until it begins to curve to the right a bit.(street changes to Gasmer at the curve) on the right you will see a small Hospital, and immediately after you pass the hospital you will see an entrance to a small warehouse complex with a small red sign reading "5562 Gasmer". turn right and continue down the alley to suite M.

You can also check out the Tilt at Galleria. It's really close to the skating rink and the food court. I'm not sure if they have any pinball machines there though....

There's also arcades at Pasadena Town Square Mall, and Almeda Mall. I think Almeda has no pinball machines, and I have no clue about Pasadena. They thankfully have DDR at least.

I forgot to mention another new arcade. It opened up in December I think. It only carries japanese imported games as far as I know and has a new game called The Rumble Fish. They are supposed to have a new version of that and also should be getting Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection soon, if they don't already have it. It is at Westheimer and Shadowbriar if you know where that is. Sorry but no pinball machines there. It is right next to Double Dave's Pizza or some pizza place.

There's an arcade in Humble called Totally Amused located at 19333 Hwy 59. There was a "superstar gathering" with Twin Galaxies referees present to verify any world records. I haven't been out there myself, because it's about an hour away from me.

wow I forgot to mention the name of the place. It's called Planet Anime Zero. It's kind of small but they have a small place for reservation where you can karaoke too.

[quote name='Bareknuckle']One of The best arcades in Houston,TX is the Stargate arcade also known as "The Gate".If you're into fighting games,this is the place to be at.The competition is fierce for fighting games.They don't carry pinball games though.They do however carry games such as metal slug and Super Puzzle Fighter.It's mostly fighting games though.The owner is a player himself so his machines are very well kept.He's even hosted tournaments such as Texas Showdown and aslo hosts weekly tournaments depending on players demand.It's only open on Friday's and Saturday's though.It used to be open every day,but it wasn't doing too well so the owner decided to open it on weekends only, usually from 6pm-2am.

The address is 5562 Gasmer suite M

basically it's 610 loop, exit South Post Oak, go past 1st light which is Willowbend, and the 2nd stop light will be S. Willow.

take a right on S. Willow, keep going up the street until it begins to curve to the right a bit.(street changes to Gasmer at the curve) on the right you will see a small Hospital, and immediately after you pass the hospital you will see an entrance to a small warehouse complex with a small red sign reading "5562 Gasmer". turn right and continue down the alley to suite M.
__________________[/quote]

I was about to suggest this one. It's run quite well, well worth the trip.

The Gate? Don't you mean Stargate? Didn't that place close down? I've been to Planet Zero, though. It's nice but the majority of their games are fighting games. They do have the new PopnMusic 14, though

PRG, I don't keep up with the arcades in that area like I used to ... so I'm not sure if Stargate has closed ... but I'd really like to hit Planet Zero up in the future (as they're the only arcade in Texas as far as I know with Hokuto No Ken).

[quote name='PRGuitarman']The Gate? Don't you mean Stargate? Didn't that place close down? I've been to Planet Zero, though. It's nice but the majority of their games are fighting games. They do have the new PopnMusic 14, though[/quote]

Startgate and Planet zero are the same owners, I think. They just move the arcade to a different place, best arcade in houston Planet Zero. They have Tekken 6.

I dunno if it is still going on, but I think one a year the Houston Area Game Collectors puts on a show. Lots of good old school arcade games and pinball machines. t's like $10 to get in and play as much as you like.

I went a few years back and played "High Speed" for about 8 hours solid...

Edit: apparently it is on for November this year

http://www.arcadecenter.com/

Stargate Arcade closed down sadly almost 3 years ago. Planet Zero is not owned by the same person. Even though most of their games are fighting games, they do have a decent selection of other genre, shooters, driving, music, and puzzle games.

PZ's most recent games are Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 2, Street Fighter 4, and Wangan Midnight Maximum Tuned 2.

PZ usually holds weekly tournaments for SF4 on Thursdays, Tekken 6 on Sundays, and some of the older fighting games on Tuesdays. There hasn't been any competitions set for DDR recently or some of the others, but I'm anticipating one for Max Tune 2 pretty soon.

bread's done
Back