Anime and Videogames coming together

ElfAngel7

CAGiversary!
Although there have been multiple entries of anime series into the video game genre, the only decent one that i know off the top of my head is DBZ Hyper Dimension (Decent brawler, especially if you liked the series, which i did). Now, an Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop game are heading to the PS2. I'm a bit wary of their quality. Does anybody remember if their has been a decent anime-inspired video game (imports included)?

Nice icon elfangel. Well I hear the Naruto fighting games on both GCN and PS2 are pretty good. There has been a lot of crap out there in terms of anime games though. Best one that I know of (and own) is Victorious Boxers (Hajime no Ippo) for PS2. The graphics aren't that great but the gameplay is excellent and arguably the best boxing game out there (I don't know how the sequel holds up); I prefer this to Fight Night 2004. Hopefully the games you mentioned will turn out alright (who's developing them by the way? That'd be a good indicator of quality) If its Bandai, I'd expect crap.

I hope that the trend is that the quality will improve a la the movie licensed games genre (Spider-Man, Riddick, GoldenEye) and hope that the developers just don't continue to churn out crap that only caters to misguided fanboys. Even if the new DBZ Budokai games arent the best, at least they improved from 1 to 2 in terms of listening to fan criticism.

[quote name='ykryptonite13']Nice icon elfangel. [/quote]

Thank you :)

[quote name='ykryptonite13']I hope that the trend is that the quality will improve a la the movie licensed games genre (Spider-Man, Riddick, GoldenEye) and hope that the developers just don't continue to churn out crap that only caters to misguided fanboys. Even if the new DBZ Budokai games arent the best, at least they improved from 1 to 2 in terms of listening to fan criticism.[/quote]

I have the same hope. With the integration of gaming into the mainstream culture, this is a (hopefully) increasing trend. Hell, look at Riddick. The fooking game is better than the movie. DBZ Budokai 1 and 2 I was please b/c they seem to have understood what the show was and delivered: Dumb, Fast, Fun action. That's why I was pleased with the results.

BTW, has anybody heard if the Naruto games will be released here? As you can tell from my icon, i love the show and would love to be able to play them w/o having to pay for mod's/boot disks and insane importing costs

Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn was rather easy but enjoyable. I can say that the Evangelion games aren't worth the time unless your proficient in Japanese or find a good translation.

[quote name='spoo']Sword Of the Berserk![/quote]

I loved that game but it seemed it was too short. Wasn't there going to be another Berserk game being made for PS2? I remember seeing pictures of it on a website.

Sword of the Berserk and Gundam 0079 for the dreamcast were both stellar, hell then there was Macross Vf-X2 for the psx, those were just off the top of my head. Of course there was garbage like Vampire Hunter D for the psx that gives anime games a bad rap.

What about the Inu-Yasha fighter for PS1? It's a pretty decent fighter, and Mirokus throws against girls is worth the price of admission alone.

there are alot of such 'anime-inspired' video games, some good and recent ones are
GunGrave
Super Robot Wars MX
Full Metal Alchemist

in reverse, a nice one where it was video-game inspired anime is
Sakura Wars

I have Naruto 2 for gamecube. It's not deep at all as a fighting game, but for some reason it's incredibly fun. There is SOME depth though... For example, I made a combo with Gaara that takes off over 50% of someone's health or even 70ish% if my chakra bar is full. But it's possible to escape from it with the kawarimi jutsu.

Basically, you'll love the game if you love Naruto. If you have never seen Naruto before, you probably wouldn't like the game.

I'm lookin foward to the Full Metal Alchemist game.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']I always thought Gungrave was a game made into an anime.[/quote]

It is. The game character's were designed by Yasuhiro Nightow, who created Trigun. The anime came out over a year after the game.

[quote name='BlueWingX'][quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']I always thought Gungrave was a game made into an anime.[/quote]

It is. The game character's were designed by Yasuhiro Nightow, who created Trigun. The anime came out over a year after the game.[/quote]

Really? Now that's interesting. I heard that Gungrave was quite fun. True or full of shat?

[quote name='ElfAngel7'][quote name='BlueWingX'][quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']I always thought Gungrave was a game made into an anime.[/quote]

It is. The game character's were designed by Yasuhiro Nightow, who created Trigun. The anime came out over a year after the game.[/quote]

Really? Now that's interesting. I heard that Gungrave was quite fun. True or full of shat?[/quote]

It was real short and real easy. Kinda fun, though. Worth $3.75 at Target :D

The only anime games that I can remember enjoying were Sword of Berzerk, which I should have bought but didn't, and Evangelion Typing Project E, which I used to get better at my hirigana/katakana when first started taking Japanese classes. Everything else I've seen/played I thought was crap, and I have no doubt that at least the upcoming Bebop game will be complete crap.

Gungrave is awesome. Its hella short, but I personally loved every second. It is a bit repetitive and all you do is walk, not run, around and shoot the hell out of stuff.
I personally am looking forward to the new Ghost in the Shell game and the Cowboy Bebop game. I hope they do their respective series justice.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']Zone of the Enders was another fun game to anime adaptation.[/quote]

Yeah, ZOE was great. I thought ZOE2 was a huge improvement over ZOE1, and the ZOE: Idolo movie is one of my favorites for one reason: there's not one minute of filler. Every second of the movie is fantastic.

I totally agree...everything in ZoE 2 and hte Idolo movie looked amazing. IMHO, ZoE 2 could compete among almost any other games for best graphics on the PS2.

hell yah. Both ZOE were fun and had some sick animation (especially the 2nd, since it actually was done in anime style)

If you like the Gundam series, MS Gundam: Encounters in Space was the best Gundam game I've ever played, hands down. Even better than the Side Story for DC.

The controls were fluid, you got to encreate all the great battles from the show, and there's a pretty decent multiplayer.

I might be a little biased since it starts off with the 0083 storylines (as that's my favorite Gundam series).

.hack games own, um I heard their was a cardcaptors game made for dreamcast but I never saw it, if it was released in the US i would have got it in a heartbeat.

There was a new Berserk being made for PS2...and it looked sweet, hell it incorperates monsters that don't show up until the manga's third major story arc (I'm a huge Berserk fan). I hope it didn't get canceled, but I haven't heard anything new lately...

Oh, and for you Gungrave fans... Mastiff (the US publishers of La Pucelle) has announced they'll be bringing Gungrave 2 (Overdose) stateside.

I can't wait! :D

and if you guys dont know,(you probably do), by the end of this year a inuyasha rpg, cowbop bebep action rpg?, yu yu hakusho fighting game, and shaman king platform rpg? will be released, personally the inuyasha rpg looks good.

[quote name='ElfAngel7'][quote name='BlueWingX'][quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']I always thought Gungrave was a game made into an anime.[/quote]

Really? Now that's interesting. I heard that Gungrave was quite fun. True or full of shat?[/quote]

I really enjoyed gungrave, you can get it cheap like anywhere now so if you dont have it you might as well get it, its like ZOE 1 short though.

My prayer is for these animes too have games for any of the 3 big systems now, 1. Evangelion, 2. Cardcaptors, 3. Kenshin, 4. Gundam Wing, 5. Escaflone, 6. .Hack (I have beaten the rpgs parts 1 too 4 and seen sign and dusk but I want more I dont want it too end, let them please make a MMORPG).

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']and if you guys dont know,(you probably do), by the end of this year a inuyasha rpg, cowbop bebep action rpg?, yu yu hakusho fighting game, and shaman king platform rpg? will be released, personally the inuyasha rpg looks good.[/quote]

Yah, that's why I started the thread, b/c i wanted to see if there were any others that were of some note

Ive been keeping tabs on all those games, Im such a big fan of anime and am so happy their transfering too system, their are so many japanese games for snes, and ps1 based on anime that we never get too see in the states, it always pisses me off, especially those evangelion games, DAMMIT I WANT AN EVANGELION GAME.

Oh an too all those evangelion fans out their, in 2006 their is supposed to be a live action evangelion movie, in theaters, OMG ITS FREAKING AMAZING.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']My prayer is for these animes too have games for any of the 3 big systems now, 1. Evangelion, 2. Cardcaptors, 3. Kenshin, 4. Gundam Wing, 5. Escaflone, 6. .Hack (I have beaten the rpgs parts 1 too 4 and seen sign and dusk but I want more I dont want it too end, let them please make a MMORPG).[/quote]

You should read the manga, if I remember .Hack was designed to be a project that incorperated games, anime, and manga into one big intertwining storyline.

That said, I want my MS Gundam: AEUG Vs. Titan getting stateside ASAP. And as for the Evangelion film, it sounds interesting but I'll believe it when I see it. If the live-action DBZ film can die, this one can just as easily.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Oh an too all those evangelion fans out their, in 2006 their is supposed to be a live action evangelion movie, in theaters, OMG ITS FREAKING AMAZING.[/quote]

gotta link???

[quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf'][quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Oh an too all those evangelion fans out their, in 2006 their is supposed to be a live action evangelion movie, in theaters, OMG ITS FREAKING AMAZING.[/quote]

gotta link???[/quote]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400911/

It's been known about for a little while yet there isn't much info on it...IGN has some more info, including a rumor Harry Potter possibly starring.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/403/403835p1.html

Yea I heard about that, but he would be a terrible shinji, he would fuck up the whole movie I know it, then again I dont see who would play in the movie.

I may sound like a huge pessimist, but I'll say it now, don't get your hopes up. Remember the live-action Gundam movie, G-Saviour? Yeah, that probably had similar production budgets and methods to what this will and though it could've been worse I guess, it still didn't turn out all too well. Don't get me wrong I want it to succeed, but movies like that are really hard to pull off and actually make enjoyable.

Gunnm (aka Battle Angel) for PSone was an amazing game, considering how well the plot and vision of the manga/anime came through.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']My prayer is for these animes too have games for any of the 3 big systems now, 1. Evangelion, 2. Cardcaptors, 3. Kenshin, 4. Gundam Wing, 5. Escaflone, 6. .Hack (I have beaten the rpgs parts 1 too 4 and seen sign and dusk but I want more I dont want it too end, let them please make a MMORPG).[/quote]

1. Evangelion by2 006 with the movie
2. Cardcaptors: God no please NO!!
3. Kenshin: No comment yet
4. Gundam Wing: Unless you count the Battle Assault Games nothing. There should be one.
5. Escaflowne: Disc 8 of the TV Series shows a game for PS1, maybe that get here now.
6. .Hack: No more games. More shows.

I want an Evangelion game, but only if you play as an EVA Unit gone mad, with your goal being to squish Shinji, Asuka, and Rei into a red smear on the pavement... (Ok, I admit it. I'm the rare breed of anime fan that hates Evangelion.)

bread's done
Back