Xbox 360 spotted on sale in Tokyo for $250

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
This local store was celebrating their grand opening and selling 360s for about $80 less than normal.

xbox360cheap.jpg

Are any of the retailers slashing the prices of games? I can't imagine anybody paying full price for a game if they wont pay full price for the console.

If it can be found for $200 (before shipping) w/ the Final Fantasy XI demo, I will beg and plead with any Nihon-residing CAGs to pick one up for me. Holy crap, what a good deal.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Do you know how many unsold 360s they had at that store?[/QUOTE]

I'd guess a lot since the 360 sold 50K it's first week and then 8K the next week. So it's total sales for the first two weeks were less then 58K.

Unbelievable. Microsoft is foolish for trying a simultaneous worldwide 360 release. Thousands of U.S. gamers are left out in the cold, while Japanese 360s remain unsold even at discount prices. Microsoft should have concentrated on the ONLY market that supported the original Xbox, that is the U.S. market and tried a Japanese release when it had some games that catered to Japanese players available.

I wonder why breaking into the Japanese market is so tough. Its not like Bill Gates is trying to sell an American car to them...

[quote name='Xevious']I wonder why breaking into the Japanese market is so tough. Its not like Bill Gates is trying to sell an American car to them...[/QUOTE]

Sony and Nintendo.

[quote name='Xevious']I wonder why breaking into the Japanese market is so tough. Its not like Bill Gates is trying to sell an American car to them...[/QUOTE]

As far as I see it, Japanese people are a lot more conscious about quality hence:
PS2 > GC > Xbox
DS > PSP > GBASP > GBM

And it's probably also due to the lack of RPGs and non-sports/FPS library that the Xbox was famous for, probably didn't fare too well for the 360.:)

I agree though, MS was stupid to think they would penetrate the Japanese market with games PDZ and NFSMW. The biggest selling 360 game was RR and the 360's game-to-console ratio was something like .91 meaning for every 50K 360s sold, only 45.5K games were sold. Yes, some people didn't buy games even though they bought the console... most likely, they're just waiting for DOA4.

It'll be interesting to see last week's and this week's hardware numbers.:)

[quote name='Vinny']As far as I see it, Japanese people are a lot more conscious about quality hence:
PS2 > GC > Xbox
DS > PSP > GBASP > GBM

[/QUOTE]

no, its DS > GBA > PSP

[quote name='gunm']Are they giving away "lucky bags", like at the Apple store (Ginza)?[/QUOTE] Yes, they are! Well, not giving them away, you have to buy them. They all different kinds of video game related ones...I should have taken a picture. I was just in the store today buying a $33 DVD player.

You can find the jap versions on Ebay ... a ton of them are showing up. but they are region 2! so unless there is a hack you wont be able to play any US games on them :( plus I think the menus are in Japanese

I wish the 360 would have done better over there.No Jap support means very few killer apps for us.

[quote name='spamjizz']I wish the 360 would have done better over there.No Jap support means very few killer apps for us.[/QUOTE]

few killer apps for us? Personally I think the best video game designers are US.. Bioware's RPGs are lightyears ahead of Japanesse. and Morrowind is amazing. I like RPGs that you actually get to be a role. not just a carboncopy hero like it seems like ever J-rpg is. And yes, Anime influenced RPGs are getting old. I think its ironic that american RPG fans flock to Anime no matter what piece of shit game/movie it is. its really funny.

Pandemic isn't japanese (they aren't US either) and they make great FPS/action titles.

what racing game compares to how much fun one can have with Burnout.

and lets not forget Psychonauts. and even Halo.

I'll say it before i'll say it again, just because its japanesse doesn't make it gold. but then again neither if its american either. Capcom will support most of their games in the US and on the xbox 360, so will all those other major japanese companies.

[quote name='CheapyD']Yes, they are! Well, not giving them away, you have to buy them. They all different kinds of video game related ones...I should have taken a picture. I was just in the store today buying a $33 DVD player.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for that "Every Game Free w/Console Purchase" sale.

bread's done
Back