Gamecube Action Replay $10 at Circuit City YMMV

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I picked up the Action Replay for the Nintendo Gamecube for only $10 at Riverdale Utah Circuit City. This will enable you to unlock the NES games on Animal Crossing and with the included Freeloader software you can play imports such as the Japan only Nintendo Puzzle Collection. As with all things clearance YMMV.

it is 100% true go to circuitcity.com to and see the price is $10 but only available at local stores. It will tell you if they have them in stock.

[quote name='almasy82']it is 100% true go to circuitcity.com to and see the price is $10 but only available at local stores. It will tell you if they have them in stock.[/QUOTE]

Mine has it in stock (though no one is in the video game dept. to take my fucking call), if you want one, please paypal me at [email protected] $15.30 (includes sales tax, Priority Mail shipping and DC#) - I'm heading out there after work, which is almost here!!!!!!!

[quote name='Purkeynator']I picked up the Action Replay for the Nintendo Gamecube for only $10 at Riverdale Utah Circuit City. This will enable you to unlock the NES games on Animal Crossing and with the included Freeloader software you can play imports such as the Japan only Nintendo Puzzle Collection. As with all things clearance YMMV.[/QUOTE]

I got one a while back for $20 and it was worth every penny! $10 is a steal if you find it. It's a must for Animal Crossing!

Does anyone happen to have the code to unlock NES "Punch-Out!!" on Animal Crossing? For some reason the built-in codes unlock every NES game except that one and I can't find it online anywhere.

if this is the device that allows you to open the test levels for zelda, then it's definitely worth 10 dollars to me. that and i'd probably use it to play a few import games. thanks OP!

I got one a couple of months ago (also from CC) for $20 and it broke within 3 weeks. Guess I'll go back and get a replacement for it. Thx OP.

Also wanted to mention this is a great way to unlock those pesky secret drivers on F-Zero GX (the ones that can only be unlocked if you use the memory card slot on the arcade F-Zero AX and save your profile and win some races on the memory card and transfer the save to F-Zero for Gamecube) On a side note I have found my action replay to be a little glitchy. I have had problems with it not booting up with a wavebird controller and once it wouldn't boot up at all with a regular controller. Also the scrolling sucks because it keeps scrolling a little even after you stop pressing up or down on the games and codes lists. Oh well though I guess for $10....

Thanks OP, just picked one up and much cheaper than a free loader.

Now I can go fsod the lobbies in PSO...........just kidding.....those people should die!

Did they ever release one of those online updater Action Replays (Action Replay Max is that they're called I think). It's where you'd have a dongle to connect to your PC and you could use a memory card for the respective system and get automatic updates of codes.

Putting in codes using a controller is a b*tch, especially with AR's shoddy, oversensitive controls.

I bought the second to last one at the Glendale, CA store.

They were annoyingly out of the Gamecube Wireless Microcon, which was about half the reason I went.

[quote name='TheRock88']I got one a couple of months ago (also from CC) for $20 and it broke within 3 weeks. Guess I'll go back and get a replacement for it. Thx OP.[/QUOTE]

What exactly broke? From what I can tell, the hardware portion is simply a memory card. I tried entering a code with my normal memory card in slot B, and it seemed to work just fine.

Does anyone know for certain if it's just a memory card?

[quote name='Vinny']Did they ever release one of those online updater Action Replays (Action Replay Max is that they're called I think). It's where you'd have a dongle to connect to your PC and you could use a memory card for the respective system and get automatic updates of codes. [/QUOTE]

They said they did, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen it in stores. You can buy the Powerboard from Datel to about cut code input time in half, but it can still take a while on the longer codes.

[quote name='GunstarRed']Does anyone happen to have the code to unlock NES "Punch-Out!!" on Animal Crossing? For some reason the built-in codes unlock every NES game except that one and I can't find it online anywhere.[/QUOTE]

All NES Games in Lost & Found (JasonHaffner)
YC5W-H3PT-53X67
V24Y-VZQZ-JNXJ4
G8C4-ZY3R-F7M1F
GFMC-RRCP-CVQ27
9BTP-C350-0N32G
7E0Z-NQKZ-NFCKX
0QK7-M4ZV-3VKUM
DU57-DYM3-JMN79
4ZJZ-4D8J-J5J8P
1ZBQ-P3ZW-A334W
4741-FJKW-HH47C

For codes, you can go to the official site (www.codejunkies.com) or for better codes, go to www.gscentral.org (has official codes + most homemade ones, though the new site has some glitches) and arcentral.net (just homemade codes, but also some that GSCentral.org doesn't have).

[quote name='Vinny']Did they ever release one of those online updater Action Replays (Action Replay Max is that they're called I think). It's where you'd have a dongle to connect to your PC and you could use a memory card for the respective system and get automatic updates of codes.

Putting in codes using a controller is a b*tch, especially with AR's shoddy, oversensitive controls.[/QUOTE]

The cube one doesn't seem to have an online updater like the ps2 and gameboy advance ones do. However their paperwork included with the action replay says to log on and get a new updated code disc mailed to you for a small fee. I looked on codejunkies.com and couldn't find an update disc. This one I got appears to be from 2004 so it isn't that old I guess. Nintendo really hasn't had many games this year.

[quote name='Purkeynator']The cube one doesn't seem to have an online updater like the ps2 and gameboy advance ones do. However their paperwork included with the action replay says to log on and get a new updated code disc mailed to you for a small fee. I looked on codejunkies.com and couldn't find an update disc. This one I got appears to be from 2004 so it isn't that old I guess. Nintendo really hasn't had many games this year.[/QUOTE]

Does the 2004 version work with newer Gamecubes (the ones without digital outs)?

As a side note, I found Mad Catz' GameSaves (Gamecube) at Circuit City for $2.52. This allows you to transfer game saves to and from your computer, though I'm pretty sure the price is very YMMV.

I think the online updater shit you guys talking about is called Action Replay MAX. I bought this from Best Buy a year ago. I DO NOT recommend getting it. All it includes are the memory card that can be updated thru the usb cable included. It rarely worked. Most of the time the files will come out corrupt.

But I do recommend gettin the Action Replay disc. I never really had a problem with it. I might go see if I can pick this up tomorrow. I wouldn't mind having an updated version of this.

[quote name='989boi']But I do recommend gettin the Action Replay disc. I never really had a problem with it. I might go see if I can pick this up tomorrow. I wouldn't mind having an updated version of this.[/QUOTE]

How would you go about getting this updated disk? I checked the official website and I couldn't find anything about new disks.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']And I just bought the Action Replay for $20 last week...[/QUOTE]

Was it at Circuit City? They do have a 30 day price adjustment guarantee.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']How would you go about getting this updated disk? I checked the official website and I couldn't find anything about new disks.[/QUOTE]

What I meant was that I have an old action replay disc and don't feel like updating. I will get this to replace it. I think the only way Datel will give you an updated disc is if it doesn't work for your gamecube like some don't work for the platinum gamecube. My experience with Datel is that they're customer service is horrible. They just take too long to reply or don't have any answers.

[quote name='eurenix']I bought the second to last one at the Glendale, CA store.

They were annoyingly out of the Gamecube Wireless Microcon, which was about half the reason I went.

What exactly broke? From what I can tell, the hardware portion is simply a memory card. I tried entering a code with my normal memory card in slot B, and it seemed to work just fine.[/QUOTE]

I put in some cheat codes for REmake (like getting the assault shotgun at the beginning of the game) and out of nowhere, the game kicked me out of the RE game and back to the AR screen. There was a black screen with error messages all over it. The screen just freezes there and you cant select anything or get out of it. Pushed the reset button and when it got to the main menu for the AR, it got stuck at the same screen. It's been like that ever since. I lost the reciept so I cant return it to CC and I cant find a solution to it from any websites. I'd rather go out and get another one for $10.

BTW, this is the one I got. Is this the same that's for $10 in store?

B0006B7KHE.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[quote name='TheRock88']I

[/QUOTE]

Yup, 'cept the blurb on the box isn't in German. :D

[quote name='vienna333']Yup, 'cept the blurb on the box isn't in German. :D[/QUOTE]

Alright, thx.

Also one more question, is there an indication that it's for $10 (like a price tag) or do you have to get it scanned from the computer for it to show up for $10?

[quote name='banpeikun']Hmm the one I got didn't look like that. It was just "action replay," no "max".[/QUOTE]Here's the one I got:

EC.DTL.DUS0003.CN.JPG

I got the last one at my CC. It was clearly labeled as a $10 clearance item. The box says action replay but the disk inside says action replay max.

Someone mentioned these awhile back, apparently not all of them have the Freeloader capability to play import games? Anyone have info about which ones do and don't?

[quote name='waxHead']Someone mentioned these awhile back, apparently not all of them have the Freeloader capability to play import games? Anyone have info about which ones do and don't?[/QUOTE]

The one (with the pic that I posted a couple of posts up) has Freeloader on it.

anything YMMV with Circuit City is a no-go at the stores around me, those employees never know what's going on but won't let you get away with anything (*cough* last year's $0.01 games *cough*)

[quote name='TheRock88']I put in some cheat codes for REmake (like getting the assault shotgun at the beginning of the game) and out of nowhere, the game kicked me out of the RE game and back to the AR screen. There was a black screen with error messages all over it. The screen just freezes there and you cant select anything or get out of it. Pushed the reset button and when it got to the main menu for the AR, it got stuck at the same screen. It's been like that ever since. I lost the reciept so I cant return it to CC and I cant find a solution to it from any websites. I'd rather go out and get another one for $10.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0006B7KHE.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/QUOTE]

What's the error? If it's some type of disc read error, then I would say the thing is gone. If it's something else, maybe try deleting the AR settings from the memory card (the one that came with it, or any other you are using with it). I just don't think the hardware is anything more than a memory card, with all the important functions coming from the disc.

If they were official codes, rather than user made, it might also mean there's a problem with the disc. Or it might not, I really don't know how stable the official codes are.

Just my two cents.

[quote name='TheRock88']

Also one more question, is there an indication that it's for $10 (like a price tag) or do you have to get it scanned from the computer for it to show up for $10?[/QUOTE]

The one I bought it from didn't have any kind of sign.

I think Action Replay should work as a freeloader also. It doesn't advertise the functionality outright, but on the back it says it includes codes for Japanese games. That to me implies that it probably can let you play import games.

Okay, yeah, here's some confirmation that it works as a freeloader for EUR gamers:

http://www.mm-vision.dk/default.asp?action=vis&varenr=3503&menu=xbox

One of the most requested features of Action Replay is Datel’s revolutionary “FreeLoader” technology. This groundbreaking feature lets you enjoy Japanese and American NTSC games on your European PAL GameCube – sometimes many months before they’re released in Europe. Without “FreeLoader”, a PAL GameCube will simply refuse to play anything but PAL games.

Bah. It was an annoying trip today to purchase an action replay. I found it on sale at Circuit City for $10.00 (store prices may vary, I got it from the CC in the Bay Area. Check online to see if the store's in stock also).

So, first off, I checked at CC's website to see if the AR is in stock. Well, it was, and in multiple locations also. Then I made a phone call to CC to make sure. But wait, I have a Best Buy gift card. Fine, I'll also check BB's website to see if they have it in stock or not (they did). Great, I can price match it. So, I went to Best Buy and there was a rather long line at Customer Service. Well... I'll save 14.99, and I'm not really paying for the AR, so heck, I'll wait fifteen minutes or so.

Fifteen minutes pass by, ah ha! I'm at the desk. So I go up to the employee and ask for a price match on the AR. She asks, "Do you have an ad?" Well I don't have an ad, but BB has the policy to call rival stores to check.* I answer no, and ask her to call. She goes (in an annoyed voice), "Well I don't have time." (In my mind, I'm like I don't care if you have time or not, just make the darn call! Are you that lazy to not call? I highly doubt you're being paid commission!)

Anyways, five minutes or so pass by as she looks morbidly bored. Well it appears that she's talking to the CC people now, maybe I can finally get the AR for $10. After the phone call and scanning the UPC of the AR, she goes, oh sorry they're out of stock. (Uh... ok... I just checked the store online and on the phone but hey, maybe they ran out of stock in a matter of ten minutes)

No AR eh? Well I'll just go to CC (its less than 5 mins away from the BB) and check if the AR is in stock or not. I go to CC and look around. Oh hey... would you look at that? There's at least three copies of AR at CC. Hmmm "out of stock" eh? So I purchase the $10 AR at CC then go to BB. Heck, I might be able to get that 10% price difference also.

I grabbed an AR at BB and paid at the front desk with the gift card (I had to check if it provided the same label information as the CC receipt). It was $24.99 without tax. Then I line up at Customer Service again.

Great! Another ten to fifteen minute wait. As the line in front of me got shorter, I can finally get the AR for ten bucks. Heh... I end up at the same desk with that same fat (sorry at the usage of the term, but I'm rather annoyed at her incompetence) employee. She turns to me and goes, its sold out you know. I'm like... uh... no... I present the CC receipt at her. And she's like I got to check with the manager. -_- Hello! I just bought the AR like ten minutes ago from CC! She comes back and goes, well uh... I can't do it, its not the same product.

WTF?!?!?! Hello! They're the same items!** I point out to my CC receipt. On it, it says DUS0003. On the BB receipt that I brought out it also says DUS0003 along with 'Cub Action Replay'. Bah, including her uh... "pleasantly plump" figure... she's also visually challenged (if not mentally).

In the end... I finally used my Best Buy gift card and got the AR for ten bucks (returned the CC AR). And if I ever get the chance... I'll avoid that lady...

*I have tried multiple times at the BB to have them price check with a phone call. For instance, Fry's Electronics (which was... around a 30 min freeway drive) had Fire Emblem on sale. There was no price on the ad, but a "Low Price" remark. I knew it was $37.99, but the customer service representative didn't. I asked her to call because that is BB's policy if you don't have an ad. Hey, its confirmed to be $37.99. Without any hassle, I get it for that price.

**In addition to looking at the receipt and comparing it, I also checked CC and BB's website to see if the AR was the same or not.

Best Buy is one of the worst retail stores around. Their employees go through zero training, and I swear that they tell them to just make up whatever gets the customer out fastest. You can go to 4 different BB's with the SAME EXACT question, and come up with 4 different answers. And each person will claim that their answer is policy. It's absolutely ridiculous and borderline humorous how stupid some of the things they will tell you are.

For an example, at one store I returned like $200 in stuff without a receipt with no problem in the world, went back the next day to return something else, and was told it was strict BB policy never to ever do that. Went to a different store and was told the policy is a $75 limit for no receipt return. Went to yet another store and they did it without a problem.

[quote name='Zorn']Best Buy is one of the worst retail stores around. Their employees go through zero training, and I swear that they tell them to just make up whatever gets the customer out fastest. You can go to 4 different BB's with the SAME EXACT question, and come up with 4 different answers. And each person will claim that their answer is policy. It's absolutely ridiculous and borderline humorous how stupid some of the things they will tell you are.

For an example, at one store I returned like $200 in stuff without a receipt with no problem in the world, went back the next day to return something else, and was told it was strict BB policy never to ever do that. Went to a different store and was told the policy is a $75 limit for no receipt return. Went to yet another store and they did it without a problem.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I dunno, I never really had a problem until it was with this person -_-

Bought this and this is definently CAG---Cheap Ass Garbage....Tried Dead to Rights with it first game and GLITCH GLITCH GLITCH....we had to remove certain codes to try a second time..then...pause...GLITCH GLITCH GLITCH....3rd time to REMOVE MORE CODES...In addition tried CUSTOM ROBO and doesn't even work at ALL.....Also to make matters worse this dumb ass thing doesn't even work with the nintendo wavebird at first...you have to pull out the action replay card before you start it THEN press the buttons like a masher then install the fucking card....... this thing sucks major ASS, DONKEY BALLS, etc....I officially hate all game cheat devices....buyer been warned....

I have had very good luck with the gba action replay, the ability to transfer save files between carteridges is a godsend (especially for pokemon), also having good luck with the gba/ds action replay for transferring DS save files, although its not all that simple to use, but it does work. The trick to get it to connect with the computer is to unplug the usb cable then plug it back in before using the device.

Anyways i went to pick up the 10$ AR at Circuit city but they were marked 19.99 on the display (they were not in a clearance bin or anything), does anyone know if they would still be on sale even though the shelf price says 19.99. The cash out line was about 40 min long and i didnt want to stand in that line just for a 10$ AR.

Also the circuit city by me still has a decent sized bin of clearance games, does anyone know if they come up cheaper than the price on the tag, or if the price on the tag applies.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have had very good luck with the gba action replay, the ability to transfer save files between carteridges is a godsend (especially for pokemon), also having good luck with the gba/ds action replay for transferring DS save files, although its not all that simple to use, but it does work. The trick to get it to connect with the computer is to unplug the usb cable then plug it back in before using the device.

Anyways i went to pick up the 10$ AR at Circuit city but they were marked 19.99 on the display (they were not in a clearance bin or anything), does anyone know if they would still be on sale even though the shelf price says 19.99. The cash out line was about 40 min long and i didnt want to stand in that line just for a 10$ AR.

Also the circuit city by me still has a decent sized bin of clearance games, does anyone know if they come up cheaper than the price on the tag, or if the price on the tag applies.[/QUOTE]

Even though the price on the shelf at my circuit city was 19.99 , it still rung up at the 9.99 sale price.

Don't have an answer to the second question though. All the games in my cc clearance bin were crap (I wouldn't even play them if they were given to me for free).

I picked one up for the animal crossing codes, and I don't need it now. Did anyone not find one? Mine is up for grabs. Luckily no glitches for me.

bread's done
Back