Oh, why do you mock me, Pac-Man?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I am embarassed to admit that I sunk about 1000 yen (about $8) into this machine.
Its one of those "UFO" machines where you use the crane to lift out the prize.
I didn't even come close to winning but I did curse Pac-Man's name several times. I should have just "hired" a Japanese guy to win one for me.
Mrs. CheapyD was ashamed of my failure...something about dishonoring her ancestors.

pacmanufo.jpg

was it the pac man thing that did the dishonoring? Good try, I would have kept going and wasted more money on that pac man thing.

i have only won once at those machines, an Alf Cup, that was a long time ago. I still bust on the lil melmacian every once in a while.

Sorry for gloating but I was once a crane machine master. I'd win at least something for every 3 bucks worth of trying most of the time. These days though I'm rusty from a lack of machines around where I usually go.

Here are some tips.

1. Don't go for packed in prizes.

2. Use a buddy to get a different point of view. Sometimes you might be lined up perfectly but the crane angle that goes towards and away from you might be off. Have a friend stand next to the machine looking or look over real quick before time runs out to see if you're lined up pefectly to what you're aiming for.

2. Arms and loops. Go for stuffed items with arms and legs that look stiff and in hook fashion. If the crane goes over it just right they will connect like a barrel of monkeys. loops of string that sometimes are on things also work.

3. Don't use sloppy cranes Now you won't know until you play the machine but some machines cranes are so limp it is almost impossible to hook anything. You can usually detect this by the kind of snap the crane has when pulling up. If it looks like really limp just walk away and play another day.

[quote name='Scorch']god I wish I lived in Japan. Minus the whole bird flu and typhoon/hurricane/tsunami stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to live there for a while, too. If only I had money and knew Japanese...

Still, it'd be cool to just look around and maybe catch a NJPW card.

[quote name='CheapyD']

pacmanufo.jpg
[/QUOTE]

1 play = 200 yen, where as 3 plays = 500 yen.:whistle2:k

Cheapy, I hope you didn't dishoner cheap ass gamers by not spending those 1000 yen on 6 plays.:D

I got a Darth Vader mug out of one of those things once. I spent about $4 and was about to give up, even thought about tilting the machine when no one was around, then BAM! I got that little bastard. The force was with me there, people!

[quote name='Vinny']1 play = 200 yen, where as 3 plays = 500 yen.:whistle2:k [/QUOTE]

When I read this, I immediately thought of Cheapy wearing jeans and a leather jacket, in an emotionless voice:

"Hmm... 1 play... 100 yen."
"Yes, I will try this game."

"Care for a game of Lucky Hit?"

[quote name='Saucy Jack']When I read this, I immediately thought of Cheapy wearing jeans and a leather jacket, in an emotionless voice:

"Care for a game of Lucky Hit?"[/QUOTE]

It is official: Shenmue is this forum's mascot.

Those plush toys in the crain games are quality. I've gotten a few from where I get my comics and toys. It may just be easier to find one online.

I'm sure if I was in japan I would mark out for so many toys.

[quote name='Scorch']god I wish I lived in Japan. Minus the whole bird flu and typhoon/hurricane/tsunami stuff.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about the Godzilla/Rodan attacks...

[quote name='Saucy Jack']When I read this, I immediately thought of Cheapy wearing jeans and a leather jacket, in an emotionless voice:

"Care for a game of Lucky Hit?"[/QUOTE]

:D That's great! If I was in Cheapy's place...I'm afraid to think how much money I might have blown. A plush Pacman is just too cool.

I want one of those..they look freakin awesome :)

Keep your stupid italian plumbers with their hairy backs and their gold chains and give me a pac-man any day of the week!

And Ghosts all day Thursday...

i got an Ipod from one of those stop the spinner games.. that ruled.

i've seen some claw games in the US that had some sweet prizes.. like comic book heros and the ilk. never many that are V-game related unless its mario.

I just saw a machine just like that with those pacman and ghost in it up at the Kalahri at the Wisconsin Dells.

and I know this topic is old

One of the movie theaters I go to regularly has advertisements for "Crane Game!" on the screen during the pre-previews. It's a wierd video that kind of is like that "WACKY WAVING INFLATEABLE TUBE MAN!" fake commercial. The weird thing is I don't think they have a crane game there, and it doesn't tell you where this supposed great crane game is at. Maybe it's just like Milk commercials where they are advertising for the product in general?

I used to love skill cranes when I was younger. I was at an arcade last year that had PS2 and XBox games in the machine and it was $1.00 a try. I picked up a game both times (I played twice) but it dropped the game each time because the hook wasn't desinged to pick up a game.

Machine operators can also change the strength of the claw/hook.

At some amusement parks I have seen these giant machines that are around 8 feet tall and at least 10 feet long. I have never been able to win a prize out of those.

I remember when I was a kid, I could never win on those type of crane games. It's as if the crane had no real griping power.

Lol, I also remember a kid had his hand stuck up the prize slot at chucky cheeze.

Here is a tip for the crane machines:

If there is a tag on one of the prizes try to hook the crane on it.

This has helped me win many things from crane machines.

You guys do know how claw machines work right?

The machine operates on a ratio of wins to losses.

So it would be every 10 losses 1 win. It depends on the machine. 1 out of the 10 times the machine will exert its full force in its grab. Its so it garuntees making a profit.

The way to win these are to watch people play it and determine how many losses it takes to equal one win. Then you just wait for X amount of people and you go when you know its a win.

I have won so many things from those machines it's ridiculous. I've won most of them at Dave and Busters because they have actual skill machines and they don't rig them to barely compress the arm.

exact same thing happened with me in london except i am more gullable, a crash bandicoot was looking up at me calling my name £5 i sunk which is about $10 and about 1200 yen. i was a complete failiure and someone comes along after me wins with a 20p bit 40 cents to usa and wins first time! there i am peeved off and the man sells it to me for £3, yahhoo ebay, naa keeping it for my own personal satisfaction and is sitting next to me on my bed as i write this for you all.

I got one of those Pac Man plushes from a Used Game Store for 100 yen! :razz:

Did you know it's motorized? If you flip a switch on the bottom it waddles around!

[quote name='Gameboy415']I got one of those Pac Man plushes from a Used Game Store for 100 yen! :razz:

Did you know it's motorized? If you flip a switch on the bottom it waddles around![/QUOTE]
I envy hate you.

"Care for a game of Lucky Hit?"[/quote]
I just had a Shenmue flashback after reading this. Now time to bring the Dreamcast of out the storage place!

[quote name='thorbahn3']Sorry for gloating but I was once a crane machine master. I'd win at least something for every 3 bucks worth of trying most of the time. These days though I'm rusty from a lack of machines around where I usually go.

Here are some tips.

1. Don't go for packed in prizes.

2. Use a buddy to get a different point of view. Sometimes you might be lined up perfectly but the crane angle that goes towards and away from you might be off. Have a friend stand next to the machine looking or look over real quick before time runs out to see if you're lined up pefectly to what you're aiming for.

2. Arms and loops. Go for stuffed items with arms and legs that look stiff and in hook fashion. If the crane goes over it just right they will connect like a barrel of monkeys. loops of string that sometimes are on things also work.

3. Don't use sloppy cranes Now you won't know until you play the machine but some machines cranes are so limp it is almost impossible to hook anything. You can usually detect this by the kind of snap the crane has when pulling up. If it looks like really limp just walk away and play another day.[/quote]Congratulations. You've wasted your life.

bread's done
Back