What are the rare PSX games?

JAMMR

Banned
I am starting to bolster my PSX collection and was wondering what the rare ones to look out for are.

Thanks.

EDIT: Let's make a list!

Rare Titles, as in level of difficulty to find.
Arc the Lad Collector's Box
Bubble Bobble
Bust a Groove
Bust a Groove 2
Devil Dice
Dragon Warrior VII (only if its sealed)
Final Fantasy Anthologies
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics (Non GH)
Front Mission 3
Intelligent Qube
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Magic Carpet
Poy Poy
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Samurai Shodown 3 & 5
Silent Bomber
Street Fighter Collection (1 and 2)
Suikoden 2
Tales of Destiny 2
Tall Infinity
The Three Stooges (CostCo only)
Theme Hospital
Valkyrie Profile
Vib Ribbon
Xenogears
Zoop

Not really rare (but maybe close?)
Ehrgeiz
Einhander (?)
Vagrant Story (?)

Some Favorite Weird Titles
No One Can Beat Mr. Domino

This thread may have been posted before. But here is my list, and some folks may not agree with me:

Bubble Bobble
Theme Hospital
Samurai Shodown 3 & 5
Poy Poy
Intelligent Qube - still very expensive
Bust a Groove
Bust a Groove 2
Tall Infinity - the last Agetec budget release is very hard to find, but super cheap
The Three Stooges - remake of the old Amiga game was only distributed at Costco
Just about any import - Tobal 2 is a popular one that comes to mind.
Some of the really old first gen PS1 titles like Zoop and Magic Carpet are pretty damn hard to find complete.

Ehrgeiz isn't really rare... Silent Bomber is pretty hard to find now, as is Tales of Destiny 2.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure has become retroactively hot due to more recent titles by the same people. Mine went for $100.53 on eBay Sunday night.

I wasn't aware of a PS1 Three Stooges version. I worked on most of the computer version way back when. Have I mentioned that the Apple ][GS was a great personification of evil for anyone trying to port games?

Really? Glad I have ToD2 then. I really loved the puzzles, and the fact that you could save anywhere (when you load you get back to the last savepoint, but you can save whenever you feel like it).

What else? Devil dice... is that rare?

Vib Ribbon was never released in NA, so it doesn't really count.

Some titles are obscure and rare but won't cost you much if you find them. For five bucks they can be an interesting way to spend a couple hours before turning around and selling them. A better value than going to most movies these days.

One of my favorite weird PS1 games is 'No One Can Beat Mr. Domino.' It would have done much better if it were pitched as a secondary purchase at a low price, like gum near the check out stand. A lot weird little games would prosper if they were marketed properly and for the right price.

For a pretty complete list every North American PS1 title go to www.gamedude.com and from there you can use anyinteresting title name as a search parameter for reviews.

Cool... thanks all. Keep em comin'!

Just out of curiosity, where is the old thread about this? I looked and then I did a search but it's late and I'm blind so I came up with nada.

Street Fighter Collection (1 and 2)
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Dragon Warrior VII (only if its sealed)
Front Mission 3

their are alot ,ore, those are just the ones i know off the top of my head.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Vagrant Story, Xenogears but the non Gh cover although both are pretty rare FF Anthology FF Chroncicles FF Orgigins[/quote]

Vagrant Story isn' t rare at all.

A lot of the games listed here are not rare. Rather, they carry a lot of value generally.

Hell, even some that have been listed don't carry that much value. Punqsux is auctioning off a copy of Einhander right now (see Auction forums).

I have a mint copy of silent bomber, i bought it at a store going out of business sale. I opened it up and only played it once. Anyone wanna buy/trade for it? Mint copy of Silent bomber, us version, very rare and very funny. AIM: DALLASA354

Final Fantasy Tactics WAS rare, until Square made a greatest hits run about a year or so ago (grumble, grumble, grumble)

I've made a list so far with everybody's suggestions... keep 'em coming: What should be bumped off, what's more rare (maybe tiers?), etc...

[quote name='SpookyD']Front mission 3 is rare?[/quote]

not necessary rare, but hard to obtain in certain regions.

[quote name='guyver2077']wcw nitro[/quote]

what's really rare is goldberg wrestling more than a 5 min match...or doing more than 3 moves

^^

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='guyver2077']wcw nitro[/quote]

what's really rare is goldberg wrestling more than a 5 min match...or doing more than 3 moves

^^[/quote]

Or him not botching a spot, kicking a guy in his head, and ending his career.

there is no way in hell FF origins, anthology and chronicles are rare. MAYBE non-gh, but that goes for just about every ps1 game that has a gh version.

[quote name='PsyClerk']A lot of the games listed here are not rare. Rather, they carry a lot of value generally.

Hell, even some that have been listed don't carry that much value. Punqsux is auctioning off a copy of Einhander right now (see Auction forums).[/quote]

What accounts for a lot of them keeping a high price is that they were released when the installed base of the Playstation was still small AKA under 10 million sold in North America. An adequate production run for a title in 96 or 97 that was never going to be a GH was pretty miniscule by the standards of the same console by 1999.

A lot of those games might do some good business for a small label if they revived them for $9.99 for the bargain section. Great games like Jumping Flash were graphically primitive when new but the gameplay was great. How many PS1/PS2 owner have ever seen it, though?

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='guyver2077']wcw nitro[/quote]

^^[/quote]

HILARIOUS!! you are such a comedian.

and for jsweeny...great reference to the hitman!

A lot of the early games that came in the fragile tall cases are nearly unknown to people who didn't see Playstation stuff until 98 or 99. Some of them also had production runs in standard CD cases but they can be obscure just virtue of age. In many cases they can be found used for just a few dollars and deliver good times. some are interesting just to see the early work of favorite developers.

Jumping Flash 1 & 2
Warhawk
Descent
Cyber Sled
X-com UFO Defense
Cyberia
Loaded
Philosoma

If you find a store with old PSone stuff for under $5 each I say go wild. It's a rare game that isn't worth a try at that price, especially when you can easily get your investment back.

[quote name='Dazz'][quote name='SpookyD']Front mission 3 is rare?[/quote]

not necessary rare, but hard to obtain in certain regions.[/quote]

Aww I was hoping it was worth somthing, i've got a copy, it would have made me happy.

[quote name='epobirs']A lot of the early games that came in the fragile tall cases are nearly unknown to people who didn't see Playstation stuff until 98 or 99. Some of them also had production runs in standard CD cases but they can be obscure just virtue of age. In many cases they can be found used for just a few dollars and deliver good times. some are interesting just to see the early work of favorite developers.

Jumping Flash 1 & 2
Warhawk
Descent
Cyber Sled
X-com UFO Defense
Cyberia
Loaded
Philosoma

If you find a store with old PSone stuff for under $5 each I say go wild. It's a rare game that isn't worth a try at that price, especially when you can easily get your investment back.[/quote]

I guess I never consider the fact that the number of people who can play PSOne games today is a lot larger than it was a few years ago. Still, games can simply be 'in demand' rather than rare and be considered valuable. Example: Kileak The DNA Imperative is listed as rarity 5 by www.digitpress.com, and Suikoden II is listed as 4. Suikoden II goes for $80+ easy on eBay. Kileak...well, if you give me $5 I'll take it off your hands.

I figured punqsux would have brought that up...

BTW, I have owned (or currently own) every game in your list except Cyberia.

[quote name='guyver2077']ddr disney mix[/quote]

Not anymore. I was doing a great eBay business on this and the first DDR last year when Konami finally came to their senses and ordered up another production run. Fry's has had them in quantity ever since for $29.95. Which make sense because got big into selling the dance pads more than any other major retailer I've seen. I suspect they offered Konami a large enough order to justify it just for Fry's inventory.

[quote name='PsyClerk']
I guess I never consider the fact that the number of people who can play PSOne games today is a lot larger than it was a few years ago. Still, games can simply be 'in demand' rather than rare and be considered valuable. Example: Kileak The DNA Imperative is listed as rarity 5 by www.digitpress.com, and Suikoden II is listed as 4. Suikoden II goes for $80+ easy on eBay. Kileak...well, if you give me $5 I'll take it off your hands.

I figured punqsux would have brought that up...

BTW, I have owned (or currently own) every game in your list except Cyberia.[/quote]

Being horrible crap is always a mitigating factor. Some games are rare because they truly deserve to be non-existent. OTOH, if you're just looking for a historical perspective and know you can easily recoup the investment, even the horrible stuff can be interesting in a MST3K sort of way. Speaking of which, anybody else remember 'Off-World Interceptor?' I've still got the original 3DO version.

A lot of those early PS1 games were PC ports. It can be easier to run them on a PS2 today than trying to get the DOS game to behave on a current PC. Another thumbs up for console backward compatibility.

i picked up silverload yesterday at eb for 2$ with long box and manual...i havent even SEEN that game in 6 or 7 years. checked ebay and i paid going price ^^

[quote name='guyver2077']dam well i have yet to even see this game in action....been wanting to get it[/quote]

THey don't seem to have it on the site anymore but I can check Fry's B&M for you if you're up for their price and shipping.

[quote name='punqsux']i picked up silverload yesterday at eb for 2$ with long box and manual...i havent even SEEN that game in 6 or 7 years. checked ebay and i paid going price ^^[/quote]

Ironic that you mention Silverload...just posted an auction for it in the auction forum.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Is either of the breath of fire games for ps1 rare because i think they are but am not so sure[/quote]

Digital Press has them at 3 and 4 rarity (0 is the lowest, 9 is the highest). You can buy BoF3 for about $20-$25 on eBay, BoF4 is about the same.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='punqsux']i picked up silverload yesterday at eb for 2$ with long box and manual...i havent even SEEN that game in 6 or 7 years. checked ebay and i paid going price ^^[/quote]

Ironic that you mention Silverload...just posted an auction for it in the auction forum.[/quote]

im curious how many copies of that game there are because id bet its less than 10,000

Ok, I'm quitting this thread because it reminds me of all the games I used to own and got rid of. And now so many of them are 'rare.' Bah.

[quote name='punqsux']haha that list i posted says silver load is extreamly rare and worth 10 bucks[/quote]

Which tells you how well received Silverload was. The fact that they shipped with that title instead of Silverlode was not a good indicator for a game set in the Amercian West.

Google really impresses me at times. I was drawing a complete blank on Silverload. The title was vaguely familiar but I just couldn't remember. (It's one of those rare non-sports PS1 games I never bothered to acquire since I don't care for Western themes.) So I set out to find a site with some info to refresh my memory.

I accidentally enter Silverloa. Google could have found me some voodoo site but it also offered "did you mean Silverload?"

Elemental Gearbolt by Working Designs (Assassin's Case Edition) could only be had at E3 98 and there were only a few dozen made. That rarity link mentioned above discusses it.

[quote name='CantB76']Elemental Gearbolt by Working Designs (Assassin's Case Edition) could only be had at E3 98 and there were only a few dozen made. That rarity link mentioned above discusses it.[/quote]

I know where one of those is stashed away. A friend of mine, Dan Granett, was one of the winners. He crashed his car on the Sepulveda Pass in October 2000 and was killed. Far as I know that package is still in his parent's house along with all of his other collector's items like a set of Famicom Disc games signed by Shigeru Miyamoto.

bread's done
Back