The Official Fargo-Moorhead Area Thread

Rihan

CAGiversary!
Well, I see there are a few of us in the area, so why not keep a little local running tab of whats out there.

Our town is in a unique situation. We are big enough to have all the major stores, but we are out of the major metro areas. We also have roughly 25,000 college student in town over the fall and spring, which keeps the used stores nicely supplied :)

We of course right now have 2 big things in town. The Media Play closing and the TRU sale.

Media Play, at least the last time I was out there still had a ton of inventory left. Its been a while though (day after they dropped to 30%) so I'm not sure what the state of the place is at the moment.

TRU, I was there at opening and was the only one in lot. Picked up what I needed and left a copy of RE4 for the lucky CAG who came in after me (Starman9000). Haven't been back since, so, again, I have no idea what state of disarray the store is in.

Thats all I can think of for now. I know there are a shit-ton of used stores in town, I'm sure we can dig up some stuff. Such as Lunar SSS at Vidcycle on 13th Ave. for $15 :D

Never been to Vidcycle, its pretty good eh?

One thing thats great, that some people might not realize. Is that CashWise has a great video game selection for rent. And at something like 1.50 for 7 nights, its pretty hard to beat. Thats the CashWise in Moorhead. Usually everthing is available as well. Im still waiting to luck out and be in there on a day that they sell used games, because all of there used inventory is sold 2 for 9.49.

[quote name='smalien1']From Fargo?
I know a way you can make some big money quick.
Try PMing I AM WILLIAM H. MACY- he'll tell you what to do.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :applause: :lol: :applause: :rofl:

Vidcycle is extremely hit and miss. Sometimes they will have a crazy selection of older games, other times it looks like the place has been ransacked. Ive come across a copy of Lunar SSS in there once, however it was case and discs only, no box or book (which is what I want). The DVD boxsets are completely overpriced, you'd be better off going and buying them new.

[quote name='Rihan']:lol: :applause: :lol: :applause: :rofl:

Vidcycle is extremely hit and miss. Sometimes they will have a crazy selection of older games, other times it looks like the place has been ransacked. Ive come across a copy of Lunar SSS in there once, however it was case and discs only, no box or book (which is what I want). The DVD boxsets are completely overpriced, you'd be better off going and buying them new.[/QUOTE]

I picked up some really good stuff from Vidcycle this summer (like SMT: Nocturne limited edition for less than $30), but it isn't often they get decent games in. If you want to trade games in, that's the place to go, though; they give you a fair amount, and cash on the spot.

The Take-Two Videos in the area have treasures from time to time, but generally their used DVD sales are much better than their games.

There's a tiny used game store on University (a couple blocks south of 13th Ave.) in one of the strip malls, but I've never seen anything worth the time. Just dirty copies of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for $9.99...although there was a nice stack of instruction manuals for SNES games for $.49 a piece.

I'm glad there are other people finally abusing TRU. I feel like I've had free reign over that store for two years now; I've spent over $1500 there in the last 18 months, and I'm pretty sure they've lost money on every sale. Every time I walk in, I get the, "Oh great, this guy again" look. Just leave some for me :lol:

so you are the reason there is never any green tag stuff left eh? Probably for the best, I need to stop buying things because they are good deals.

Did anyone notice if there were any copies of MP2 at tru for 10$?

[quote name='starman9000']so you are the reason there is never any green tag stuff left eh? Probably for the best, I need to stop buying things because they are good deals.

Did anyone notice if there were any copies of MP2 at tru for 10$?[/QUOTE]

Nah, I very rarely take more than one of anything, and I don't think I got any green tag stuff from this year's sale. The only thing I really went nuts on was the PSOne/LCD combos last fall--I got five of them over a week or so, but sent them off to other CAGs at cost. I don't hoard at all, mostly because I'm too lazy to buy and resell.

I just returned from Media Play, and games and DVDs are indeed 40% off. Surprisingly, there were a lot of games left, although the Nintendo sections were pretty thin. Not much of interest for me, but there seemed to be a decent selection. I picked up SMT: DDS 2 (one copy left) and left the rest. Hopefully you guys can find more.

[quote name='defiance_17']Nah, I very rarely take more than one of anything, and I don't think I got any green tag stuff from this year's sale. The only thing I really went nuts on was the PSOne/LCD combos last fall--I got five of them over a week or so, but sent them off to other CAGs at cost. I don't hoard at all, mostly because I'm too lazy to buy and resell.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, reselling really isnt worth the effort and time. Luckily I did get a psone screen in the cities, so I am set with that.

Man, I better stay away from Media Play, Ive spent way too much this month on entertainment. Time to start being good. 40% off though is pretty good. Did you see any 360 games there? My brother would probably be interested.

[quote name='starman9000']Yeah, reselling really isnt worth the effort and time. Luckily I did get a psone screen in the cities, so I am set with that.

Man, I better stay away from Media Play, Ive spent way too much this month on entertainment. Time to start being good. 40% off though is pretty good. Did you see any 360 games there? My brother would probably be interested.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anything 360-related at all.

[quote name='starman9000']Yeah, reselling really isnt worth the effort and time. Luckily I did get a psone screen in the cities, so I am set with that.[/QUOTE]

Grrrrr. I hate that phrase "in the cities." Have lived in the Mpls suburbs my entire life and never heard it once until I went to college at SCSU and it drove me nuts.

[quote name='Nogib']Grrrrr. I hate that phrase "in the cities." Have lived in the Mpls suburbs my entire life and never heard it once until I went to college at SCSU and it drove me nuts.[/QUOTE]

Well it would be weird to refer to them as the cities while living there. I lived in the burbs and St. Paul, but it doesn't bother me I guess. Usually it's the Twin Cities I guess.

I suppose it works the other way too, nobody up here says they live in "greater" or "upper" Minnesota or whatever other names people have for the non-greater TC area.

[quote name='Nogib']Grrrrr. I hate that phrase "in the cities." Have lived in the Mpls suburbs my entire life and never heard it once until I went to college at SCSU and it drove me nuts.[/QUOTE]

If you moved from the Minneapolis area to St. Cloud, I think you've got bigger things to worry about than what people refer to the Twin Cities as. ;-)

[quote name='Nogib']I didn't move. I said I attended college there. :p[/QUOTE]

I moved to St. Cloud AND I'm going to SCSU, what do you people have to say to that!?!?!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I moved to St. Cloud AND I'm going to SCSU, what do you people have to say to that!?!?![/QUOTE]

Do you know MacGyver?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I moved to St. Cloud AND I'm going to SCSU, what do you people have to say to that!?!?![/QUOTE]

"You people? Whatchu mean, 'you people'?!"

Hey, at least you aren't commuting for a substandard education. And you probably know how to party.
I'm kidding...sort of. My younger brother and a few of my friends go to SCSU, so I like to throw some shit around (as if there are any decent schools within 100 miles of me).

It was reported in the buisness section of The Forum today that our TRU will NOT be closing. I figured it would stay open, but its good to get official confirmation.

So did anyone walk away from the Media Play closing with a totaly kick-ass deal?

I left Saturday night with 7 anime soundtracks and a DVD for $24.

I grabbed a few strategy guides at 60% and City of Villains for $19. Not a fantastic haul, but decent.

Anybody want to go in on half of the B1G1 at bestbuy this week. I want Newsradio, but there isnt much else I want that I dont have. Its 12.50 this week.

[quote name='starman9000']Kmart in Moorhead has the PSone LCD combo for 59$. Not the cheapest ever, but still a decent deal.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear lord. I went and bought this today (thanks for the tip!), but it took about an hour! It took at least 20 minutes just to find someone to get it out of the case, then the fun of the messed up registers started.

I think there's a good chance that I either got it for free, or paid for it 4 times. :/ I'll have to check my statement closely tomorrow....

[quote name='bickle']Oh dear lord. I went and bought this today (thanks for the tip!), but it took about an hour! It took at least 20 minutes just to find someone to get it out of the case, then the fun of the messed up registers started.

I think there's a good chance that I either got it for free, or paid for it 4 times. :/ I'll have to check my statement closely tomorrow....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I dont think Ill be going to that Kmart for a while. I wanted to buy some paint, but there was no one anywhere near the paint section, and even as I walked around the store I couldnt find anyone. The customer service desk was even empty.

Anyway, I hope you got it for free.

Anyone going out to that "mega liquidation" thing out at the Fargodome? I know those sales are usualy crap, but maybe there are a few hidden gems. I don't really want to drive all the way out there to check though...

I checked out sears yesterday, they had a VG Under 15$ bin, although nothing was actually under 15, they had some good deals including Battalion Wars for 25. (it has a 44$ sticker on it)

There is a good deal at Hornbachers right now:

Buy 10 boxes of General Mills cereal and get 20$ off.

The trick is Cheerios and Lucky Charms have coupons on them for 1 free Itunes download (and a chance for 5 downloads).

They go for 2.79, so for 7.90 you can get at least 10 downloads and 10 boxes of cereal.

Also, if you happen to like Count Chocula you can get 10 boxes for 90 cents.

The Count Chocula appears to be gone, but I did get my 10 boxes of cereal. Rock on dude.

Just a heads up to everyone though, today (5/9) is the last day for the deal.

Kmart out on Hwy 10 in Moorhead has a bunch of games clearenced out at $5. From what I remember there is SC2 and Tekken 4 and others for PS2; Fzero, Return of the King, Metroid Zero Mission ($7) for the GBA; and Fzero and a few others for the Cube.

I myself picked up Prince of Persia:WW and Fzero GX for the Cube.

[quote name='Rihan']Kmart out on Hwy 10 in Moorhead has a bunch of games clearenced out at $5. From what I remember there is SC2 and Tekken 4 and others for PS2; Fzero, Return of the King, Metroid Zero Mission ($7) for the GBA; and Fzero and a few others for the Cube.

I myself picked up Prince of Persia:WW and Fzero GX for the Cube.[/QUOTE]

Did they have any POP WW left?

[quote name='starman9000']Did they have any POP WW left?[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure I grabbed the last one. They had one more Fzero and one each of all the GBA games, the rest there were 2 or more copies left.

[quote name='Rihan']I just checked the Fargo University Dr. store and they had absolutely nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they seem to keep that store more organized, so the clearance stuff is cleared out fast.

I know its not technicly F-M, but the Detroit Lakes Kmart had basicly nothing left of the clearence as well. I picked up a Mario Party 4/Wavebird bundle that I found burried in the very back of the case and a PSone car adaptor, but that was all I found outside of I think there was a pack or two of e-Reader cards and one or two other things on the bottom shelf across from the case that I didn't pay attention to. I'll double check for sure tomorrow when I go back.

[quote name='starman9000']saw a psone with screen combo at the Dilworth Walmart for 50$. Its just outside of the electronics area.[/QUOTE]

......That thing has been on clearence there for like 2 years and its still $50?! Christ....I couln't find it last time I was in there, so I figured someone had FINALLY bought it. Aparently not.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Any deals to be found next week as I'll be coming to town?

Not FM area but Way north ND.[/QUOTE]

I can get you guitar hero for real cheap. You just have to help me move the tv I am buying tommorow (I finally got the OK)

[quote name='starman9000']I can get you guitar hero for real cheap. You just have to help me move the tv I am buying tommorow (I finally got the OK)[/quote]

Welcome to HD big screen goodness, where will we be moving it from?

Hopefully you guys all got what you wanted at TRU already. I picked up the last copy of Suikoden Tactics, and there wasn't much else of interest (that I noticed). Both Fire Emblems were sold out, and they were the only other games that I really wanted.

Meh, there really wasn't much on the list that I wanted that I hadn't already gotten elsewhere cheaper. I made out pretty good during the 9.99 clearence, thats good enough for me :D

Also, if anyone is looking for Taiko Drum Master at Target, I picked up the last one in Moorhead last week when it was posted. I haven't checked the Fargo store, so that would be your only chance.

Don't know if anyones interested, but Retrodisc in Moorhead has some used Criterion DVDs, the Oliver Stone collection, and a few other things. Criterons were $24.95 I believe.

[quote name='Rihan']Don't know if anyones interested, but Retrodisc in Moorhead has some used Criterion DVDs, the Oliver Stone collection, and a few other things. Criterons were $24.95 I believe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I like that place. Decent prices but no great steals, and no haggeling. They also give you an ok amount in trade, but just cash. I wish they offered a little more if you took credit.

I did notice a copy of Shadow Hearts (complete) at the Gamestop on 45th. It's $40 but still a rare find for anyone looking.

A heads up for those of you on the lookout for cheap food.

In the Sunmart ad this week is a coupon for $6 off 4 boxes of General Mills cereal. This coupon is good until the 16th. However, come next week, Neopets Islandberry, Kix, Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Peanut Butter Puffs are all going to be on sale 5 for $10. So after coupon you can get 4 boxes of cereal for $2.

bread's done
Back