Worst Video Game Ending

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Final fantasy VIII, After playing it for so long and trying to get every single tid bit and extra/side quest done, it, well I don't want to Spoil it for you :lol:

Bubble Bobble...110 freakin stages...and i get a god damn thank you from two cute dinosaurs that will be popping bubbles for the rest of thier lives...argh...

i think the older games that have all the typos and say congratulations at the end.......like NES games........just piss me off but at least i can say i beat it

Oops, said Ultima Underworld II, but that's not a video game. Revised vote--> Rygar the Legendary Adventure. Lowest production values (for storyline) I've seen in a playstation2 title. :?

[quote name='peteloaf']Rampage for NES

99 levels and all you get is "congratulations"

Karnov for NES is the same[/quote]

YES! THANK YOU FOR SAYING IT. EFFING KARNOV, me and a friend spent an entire day trying to beat this game thinking with a dificulty that insane, we must be infor an incredibly cinematic ending..... CONGRATURLATIONS???! WTF If I meet the programer of this game I wil smack him repeatedly with an NES.

Rampage...oh man, left that game on for like a day and a half so my brother and I did not have to start over...and all we got was a CONGRATULATIONS?! Haha, ridiculousness...

Any ancient 8-bit game is going to have a bad ending. When the programmer have to count every byte to squeeze it into a cart measured in kilobytes you were going to give up a lot of gameplay to have much of an ending.

Consider: Which part of a game sells it? The part everyone sees or the part only a few will see?

The ending of Madden 2004 was terrible. It's the same as the last 15 years. You win the Super Bowl. That's it. Every shaq-fuing year it's the same damn thing. I hope there are some plot twists in 2005. :wink:

Seriously though the ending for Super Mario Sunshine was really messed up. How could the little bowser think Peach was his mom!?? :shock: That would mean Bowser probably raped Peach. And people say Nintendo is kiddy....

NES games should not be counted, almost all had just "congradulations". MGS2's ending pissed me off, I thought it made like no sense whatsoever. It was just some weird crap. It was funny tho my friend who was playing it had to goto the bathroom, then it got to final cutscene thing. He said "Oh i'll just watch this first then goto the bathroom". The scene is literally like 30 minutes long and you can't pause it.

Red dead Revolvers was pretty crappy, but the storyline didn't really set up a good ending.

Quest 64, game was horrible. You spend the entire game trying to find your father. You beat the last boss and what are you treated to, fucking scrolling text. COME ON, the N64 was a power console capable of 3D graphics and it uses a page and a 1/2 of scrolling text for an ending, you never even see the main characters father. OOh that made me mad.

[quote name='FunkMachineX']NES games should not be counted, almost all had just "congradulations". [/quote]

Not exactly true, while most early games hardly even had endings some where worth it above and beyond the call of duty. I mean anything that gave you a sense of accomplishment and ending credits was by all rights a decent ending. Metroid, Blaster Master, Star Voyager, Super Mario 2, Most every Megaman game, all of them had good endings. Anything were you reach the end and the game goes "poof, you're done!" is generally a shitty ending.

Silent Hill 2. That game made me never want to play another SH. I mean, the gameplay is lame enough as it is (I do like the atmosphere), but the story is so stupid and asinine, and the ending makes you say "Why did I just waste 6 hours of my time on this crap?"

most fighting games have lame endings, but fighting games are not about the endings anyways, cant think of many others right now. :shock:

megaman 7 i thought had a terrible ending, megaman almost wastes wily but then wily escapes and bass pops up and says he who hesitates is lost, I was like this is bullshit

I remember getting so mad at the FF1 ending. It seemed like I played that game forever then all I got was:

-Spoiler-

A freaking picture of some grass

MGS2's ending also majorly sucked ass. First of all it had nothing to do with the game and secondly I hate it when people try to push their ideology down your throat - especially in a video game ending. I don't play a game to see save the forest propaganda for an ending. :puke:

FFVIII did have a horrible ending, as did Mario Sunshine. Mario Sunshine was one of the most confusing endings, I really had hoped for more. Anyway I think the Metroid series has the worst endings. Especially Metroid Prime, for a game that was so incredible I expected a little more than the usual Samus poses (with/out helmet/suit) for whatever %/time you get.... lame. I understand the lame 8-bit endings, although some nes games (see the DW series) had some pretty decent endings. In Metroid Prime's case you've got all this potential with the gamecube and you don't use it... why?

Golden Axe : Return of the Black Adder in the arcade. My friends and I spent $1.25 each beating it, so it's not too big of a deal, but the ending was just total bullshit.

*Spoiler*

You beat Black Adder, he comes back, creates a giant energy ball ala DBZ (eat this guys, you never escape!), then his sprite just instantly moves off the platform, falls, and his energy ball kills him. Whack.

Adamsapple: I thought the ending to XIII was pretty good, It gave an ending to what you were doing in the game, while it left for a sequel. I thought it was one of the better cliffhanger endings i have seen, much better than Baldur's gate Dark Aliance's

Beyond Good & Evil had a disappointing ending. The twist at the end made room for a sequel but with the way the game sold, it's probably very unlikely.

[quote name='Ebraum']Enter the Matrix...I mean, WTF?[/quote]

Jesus christ yes. I only paid thirteen bucks for this, granted, but still - After all that hype, I at least expected a decent ending. Instead I got a laughable, third-rate, freeware worthy anticlimax.

Megaman X5 : Don't care which ending you ended up with none of them were any good, screamed been there done that.

Mario 64 : One of the last platformers I had the pleasure of playing but cripes what a shitty ending. I mean it wasn't like I expected the princess to get down and blow Mario on the spot but a cake?

metal gear solid 2...i paid 50 bucks to play as solid snake for like 40 minutes...only to find out now i get to play as the whiny raiden...what a piece of crap...i never got to the ending because i couldn't stand raiden and his girlfriend...hideo kojima owes us big in snake eater

I was disappointed in Ninja Gaiden's Ending. It was very short like a DOA ending. The game itself was great though. I also agree with MGS2 all that and a useless end. Want to talk about congratulations beat Mario Sunshine with all 120 shines and that is all you get - Congratulations - yipee.

Friggen MGS 2. We're bashing it for a good reason. More like a slightly interactive movie. I love playing as a transexual fighting some octupus-lookin mo fo. And the shame is he uses a katana. how dare he shame possibly the greatest weapon in existance.

Hmm, its hard to beat the many crappy endings that the original NES games had!

I remember the worst NES ending had to be for the original 8-bit Rygar. Ok, the game was fun and cool and looked nice for an NES game. Me and my friend spent an entire day playing the game to beat it, and we had a blast. But the ending was kind of lame. A bunch of text saying thank you/congratulations you returned peace to the world. And then a picture of a stupid ass rainbow.

WTF? A rainbow? A RAINBOW!!!!

Ok we were killing monsters and giant bugs with a giant frisbee and crawling through underground caves and valleys throughout the whole game and for the ending we get a fruity RAINBOW? Um err...isn't a rainbow just a little bit out of place? Is Rygar coming out of the closet? Totally lame. I think in this case I would just have rather seen a screen that said "congratulations." Oh well, at least the gameplay was good.

Oh, I haven't played the new Rygar yet. But after the ending of the first one, I think I'm a bit too traumatized to pick it up.

[quote name='Bann']The ending of Madden 2004 was terrible. It's the same as the last 15 years. You win the Super Bowl. That's it. Every shaq-fuing year it's the same damn thing. I hope there are some plot twists in 2005. :wink:[/quote]

I can probably count on one hand the number of sports games that have awesome championship sequences: Tecmo Super Bowl, NHL Hitz Pro, um, gee, still got a couple fingers to go...

EA has piss-poor championship sequences and they aren't alone. Winning the championship looks like winning any other game except your players hold a trophy.

The first Legend of Zelda on NES. I remember wasting hours of my life on that game as a kid, getting lost numerous times in that frickin' Level 9, spanking Ganon profusely, and all I got was some lousy red text that reads "Thank you, Link. You are a hero." ?!?!?!?! WTF?

Sure, but anyone who read about it beofre buying would know it always had a sequel in mind. They made that clear even before it shipped in Japan.

I'll jump on the Rampage for NES bandwagon. That thing takes forever to beat and all you get is the little congrats. Plus it's not as good as the arcade version, which makes playing through it even more of a chore.

Super Mario Bros. is up there.

Revenge of Shinobi on Genesis didn't do much for me either.

And in response to no good NES endings...there were several NES games with great endings. Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 and Mega Man 2 come immediately to mind.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'll jump on the Rampage for NES bandwagon. That thing takes forever to beat and all you get is the little congrats. Plus it's not as good as the arcade version, which makes playing through it even more of a chore.

Super Mario Bros. is up there.

Revenge of Shinobi on Genesis didn't do much for me either.

And in response to no good NES endings...there were several NES games with great endings. Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 and Mega Man 2 come immediately to mind.[/quote]

The list of NES games that compared well to the arcade originals is very short. The hardware was pretty dated (3 years old in Japan) before it even launch in the US.

I think there could be a correlation shown between good NES game ending and how late in the system's life they were released. Dropping ROM costs make all the difference in giving the coders enough space left for something interesting at the end.

Enter the Matrix was an trailer for Reloaded, if you bought this game around when reloaded came out, you were going to go see it. any latter,
you probably own it cuz it only costs $10

[quote name='adamsappel']XIII. "To be continued..."? Not with my $50 it ain't.[/quote]

Chances that game has a sequel, or at least one as good as the original. Reviews weren't to good on it, but for $15 i'd pick it up.

I never liked the ending to Final Fantasy 3. I mean, they talk for a few minutes about Terra and fly off across the world. Whoo. Big deal.

bread's done
Back