Games that use the bongos

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is Donkey Konga 1 & 2 (+3 in Jpn) and DK Adventure the only games that use the bongos?

Are there any other games on the horizon that are expected to use them?

Or... are the bongos pretty much just another quirky Nintendo innovation, like R.O.B., that are only going to have a small selection of games in which they are compatible with?

DK Adventure? You mean Jungle Beat right?

Odama also uses the bongos (during two player play- the second player uses bongos to raise troop's spirit). And I'm not sure but I could've sword that Nintendo said future installments of Mario Party would use the bongos... maybe I'm crazy.

Odama is confirmed?!?!?

Oh hell motherfucking yes. That game is going to rule.

And yes, only DK 1,2, and 3 plus Jungle Beat use the bongos as of right now. Four games using the controller is pretty good for a peripheral as most of those things hardly ever get used.

There were mentions of third parties asking about bongo usage at E3 last year, so maybe something will come out of that in the coming months.

[quote name='Vinny']DK Adventure? You mean Jungle Beat right?

Odama also uses the bongos (during two player play- the second player uses bongos to raise troop's spirit). And I'm not sure but I could've sword that Nintendo said future installments of Mario Party would use the bongos... maybe I'm crazy.[/QUOTE]
Odama is either going to use the bongos or microphone or both. I think originally it was designed for one, and now its going to use the other, but not sure.

I'm not aware of any more bongo games, although I'd appreciate a sequel to Konga or Jungle Beat. The only non-DK game I ever even heard rumored is Odama, a real-time simulator set in feudal Japan where your main weapon is a giant pinball and flippers.

http://cube.ign.com/objects/683/683046.html

To add one more layer of weirdness, the game uses voice commands for its RTS elements, so it requires a Gamecube microphone. It's a very short step to see how the bongos might be used for that game, in that the bongos have a mic and the drums could activate the flippers, and apparently the game was demo'd with bongos at some E3, but as near as I can tell, the game as currently designed does not work with the bongos as the main controller. (I've heard this and that about plugging the bongos into a second controller slot for some kind of collaborative RTS play.)

Odama has confirmed mic usage, that much is sure. If you look at the US boxart, you can see that it's included with the game along with a special little clip to attach the mic to the GCN controller. That way you're not switching hands constantly.

The other thing is that Nintendo would, I'm sure, be happy to support the bongos if the sales were there, but I don't think they are. I have all three US bongo games and three controllers, and I spent

$41 -- Jungle Beat + one bongo controller in March (MSRP was $55)
$10 -- second bongo controller from EBgames
$15 -- Donkey Konga 2 from Best Buy after GGC coupon
$15 -- Donkey Konga from EBgames, used
$13 -- third bongo controller from EBgames, used
$30 -- Jungle Beat + bongos for a Christmas gift from Best Buy (after coupon)

Like everyone else here, I'm a cheapass, but to get all of the above at their MSRP would have been $210 (let's be generous and say I got all three bongo sets by purchasing the game/bongo bundles), not the $124 I paid. Cheapassery and innovation rarely coexist -- and while I love the bongos and consider DK:JB a candidate for game of the year, I wouldn't have paid any more for any of it.

Hmm, I paid:
$25 -- Donkey Konga with Bongos from Best Buy after GGC coupon
$13 -- Donkey Konga 2 from Best Buy price-matching TRU's B2G1F
$14 -- second and third sets of bongos from Target
$-7 -- returned third set of bongos to Target
$20 -- Jungle Beat (used) from Gamestop with B2G1F
$26 -- third and fourth sets of bongos from Circuit City

Then...

$40 Donkey Konga 3 import from YesAsia
$45 Donkey Konga 2 import from YesAsia

So $176 total for me.

Keep in mind also that since Revolution accepts GameCube controllers, they could make more Donkey Konga or Jungle Beat or some other game using the bongos for Revolution. And a lot of people expect/hope Donkey Konga 3 makes it out here, of course.

[quote name='chunk']Although they don't officially support the bongos, you can use the bongos instead of the dancepad.[/QUOTE]?? For DDR Mario Mix? You can probably use the dancepad instead of the bongos, but I don't see it working the other way.

[quote name='Vinny']DK Adventure? You mean Jungle Beat right?

Odama also uses the bongos (during two player play- the second player uses bongos to raise troop's spirit). And I'm not sure but I could've sword that Nintendo said future installments of Mario Party would use the bongos... maybe I'm crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Jungle Beat is what I meant, I knew Adventure didn't sound quite right...

I've got one of those mics too, from Mario Party 6, yet MP6 & 7 are the only currently available games I know that use that.

Some of these extra devices could actually be kind of fun if a developer was creative enough to use them properly. I wouldn't be too shocked to see some extra that uses the bongos and/or mic in Twilight Princess.

[quote name='banpeikun']?? For DDR Mario Mix? You can probably use the dancepad instead of the bongos, but I don't see it working the other way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, DDR Mario Mix, Karaoke Revolution Party, and any other games that use the dancepad.

The bongos map directly to the ddr pad as follows:
upper right bongo = right arrow
lower right bongo = down arrow
upper left bongo = up arrow
lower left bongo = left arrow

It's an awkward layout, but it works.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I've got one of those mics too, from Mario Party 6, yet MP6 & 7 are the only currently available games I know that use that. [/QUOTE]

Karaoke Revolution Party uses the mic also.

[quote name='chunk']
The bongos map directly to the ddr pad as follows:
upper right bongo = right arrow
lower right bongo = down arrow
upper left bongo = up arrow
lower left bongo = left arrow

It's an awkward layout, but it works.
[/QUOTE]

How very delightful and strange. It would be better if there were undocumented ways to use bongos to fit them more to the game in question. For example, using two sets, and placing them next to each other, and having a single arrow mapped to each one. That would be pretty badass actually. It would be like Donkey Konga Overload, or Donkey Konga Extreme, or Donkey Konga Squared, or some other mad stupid radical hip bitchin' lingo the kids use these days.

//is still hoping for a home version of Dance Freaks :(

bread's done
Back