Best Buy PS3 Promo?!?!?

Ericnmel99

CAGiversary!
I dont know if anyone's heard of this or has done this, but my brother in law just bought a PS2 from BestBuy and said that right now if you buy the extended warrenty for $20, when the PS3 comes out they will give give you $150 credit towards the ps3 if you trade in your ps2. Anyone else have any info or see this deal at all?

Its not a promo.. its basically working the system. The extended warranty is for 2 years.. provided the PS3 comes out in the next 2 years you return your PS2 saying its defective and use the credit towards a PS3.

Although methinks they won't let this actually happen.

Considering Sony is saying the PS2 has a 10 year lifespan, they aren't in any hurry to put out the PS3. PS2 is already dated in my opinion.

I do know their warrenty policy does say that if you have a problem with the item and they don't have a replacement, then they have to give the full value credit towards a newer model. We did it on our digital camera. Since new models of most things come out each year it makes sense to not have any left in a two year warrenty.

technically this could work, except that when you say your PS2 is defective, then best buy will try to fix it first before giving you credit towards ps3. At least, thats what we did when i worked at CompUSA.

I think this guy is just trying to sell the warranty and get his commission for it. And hopefully when the PS3 comes out and you return your ps2 as broken, they dont have any ps2s on the shelf, or they will just give you that. Much like if you brought a PS1 in they would probably just giving you the new mini psONE.

good luck with that though

I used to work for BestBuy and they used this scam before the PS2 came out. Dont buy into it.

What sman113 said is right. They will always try to fix it before they'll give you credit. Otherwise they can always replace it with another PS2

SCAM ALERT

I remember hearing about the same thing with the ps1 when the ps2 came out also. Like i said im gunna check it out and tell my brother in law about the scam.

Best Buy employees (who aren't likely to still be working there when the PS3 comes out, since turnover's so high) are lying to get you to buy their "service" plan.

Try to get them to put this in writing, or to show you where it says so in the plan, and see how far you'll get/

http://www.bestbuysux.org/

[quote name='eldad9']Best Buy employees (who aren't likely to still be working there when the PS3 comes out, since turnover's so high) are lying to get you to buy their "service" plan.

Try to get them to put this in writing, or to show you where it says so in the plan, and see how far you'll get/

http://www.bestbuysux.org/[/quote]

Great Idea! Have them put it in writing and signed by the store manager. :D

I bought an extended warranty for my cd player because my cashier told me something like that. A year and a half later, I went to return the cd player and they wouldn't take it back. So I went to another BB and let my dad return it. And maybe after 10 mins of arguing, we finally returned it and I got a way better cd player for the same price. So a deal like that is possible, but you are going to have to work hard to get it.

i bought a rio mp3 cd player from best buy and got the plan, when my remote broke, all i wanted was a replacement but they asked me to send it in and sent me a check for the price i paid.

It depends is it a product replacement plan? Or a product repair plan?

If it is product replacement it may work, although since the PS2 is still going to exist in 2 years it may have fine print saying that you have to get another PS2 and the extra money can be applied toward other products they carry.

i hate the people that work at best buy...the guys that work at my local one always lie....they talk like they know something but they don't

And this is not a "trade in". It's really a scam because you are going to have to break your PS2 and then their warranty is going to have to cover exchanging it.

Buyer beware.

This is true! When I worked at Circuit City, I was buying my LE xbox, when my manager told me if I got the warrant for 2 years within that time period if xbox 2 came out I can trade in the old xbox and receive credit toward the xbox 2. This is not only for video game systems though, it's mostly used on t.v.'s for the sale.It's basically if the model you bought gets outdated by an model by the same product wheather it's a physcial or technical upgrade. It's somewhat hush, hush, because the vendor's obviously lose money. Call any CC ( not sure about best buy ) , but if you talk to someone that knows what they are talking about they will tell you the same thing.

It's true. I bought the PS2 at launch with warranty. I was experiencing problems with it at about a year and a half, I went to the store, and I received $300 store credit! I bought another PS2 with warranty. Mysteriously enough, just under 2 years after that, (this time, 729 days) I again experienced problems with my PS2, got $300 credit again, and bought the $200 PS2 with network adapter, and picked up a 3rd warranty. Doing this naturally voids the warranty.

[quote name='Aryss']Considering Sony is saying the PS2 has a 10 year lifespan, they aren't in any hurry to put out the PS3. PS2 is already dated in my opinion.[/quote]

I agree. they need to drop the 3rd one soon to stay fresh evertime I play mine it likes putting a tape in a vcr. When I play my xbox It is like putting a dvd in a dvd player.

It's basically a replacement plan that is included with the city advantage warranty. The only bad thing is the newer model has to come out within the elapsed time of the warranty, such as 2, 4 years, etc.

i got my ps2 in February of 2003. when i picked it up at BB, i was offered the warrantee and the woman behind the counter told me that i would get credit toward the ps3, coming out in November 2003.

Based on her release date prediction, I figured she was totally wrong about the warantee plan also.

I bought this warrenty with my ps2. The bitch at the register couldn't get me to buy is so a fag manager came by and said he would cut $10 off my game purchase ( I was buying a game with my ps2). The manager told me that I could return my ps2 for $200 towards ps3 which he said was coming out in 2004 . Well anyways on my warrenty slip it says I get an instore voucher on whatever I paid . I plan to return my ps2 for credit a month before the warrenty is up next august.

I heard an employee pitching this same thing to someone at the next register and thought that monkies would start coming out of my ass when I got to the parking lot.

It's not just for the PS3 it's also protection against price drops. For the $40 warranty, I got $300 back from my 1st generation PS2, and turned around and got the network adapter one with another warranty. So I walked in with a PS2, and walked out with a PS2, remote, network adapter, ATV Offroad 2, a new 2 year warranty, and a $60 gift card.

If a ps2 is in the store when you bring in yours to be replaced by a ps3, best buy will tell you your warranty is for "replacement" first. Which they will do, no problem. If you say you want the credit for the PS3 they will laugh at you b/c the warranty explicitly states you will get a replacement, or if thats not possible, credit tward the next model up.

This is a buyer beware. but it obviuosly can work, there are just a lot of variables.

And to the post about CC and tvs. i bought my HDTV there but I didnt buy the warranty, but then a year later when my manufacturer's warranty was expiring, circuit city sent me a form to buy their warranty which said i could get a new model if mine ever broke.

The kick there is, with TVs, new models are coming out all the time, so there is a better possibility to get a new one. With the PS3, Sony is going to milk the PS2 for all its worth, which means they will probably keep selling the psTWO for a while and so no ps3 for you, just a new mini-ps2

all you do is call the fucking company, they send you a mailing label, you ship it, and they send you a voucher.

YOU DO NOT GO TO THE STORE TO REPLACE IT. IT SAYS THAT ON THE fuckING VOUCHER

actually I just bought a brand new PS2 from bestbuy, but they told me that if I buy the extended warrenty, when the ps3 comes out I can trade it in for store credit or to sony. Some shit like that, but they never said how much

My dad was told the same thing about XBOX when he bought mine. He was gonna buy the warranty anyway, but he mentioned it and I was suprised to hear it.
But when you send off your warranty, you get a check for what you paid for the product, tax, and the shipping you paid (I think the shipping is a maybe) I have to send my XBOX off because of problems, so I'll see if shipping is counted.

total BS...tried this on me me, but when i asked whether or not it had to be "broken" or "in need of repair" the cashier couldnt give me an answer...

BB employees are lazy. The only time they help is if you are in the videogame section. It's like being stalked. What makes me mad is that they have games in the back that they don't have out and don't want to get them for you. I just had this issue with a manager, but he lost.

bread's done
Back