Chibi-Robo.

dyreschlock

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://cube.ign.com/objects/550/550539.html

this game looks wildly entertaining, but what is with the $50 price tag? Does Nintendo really think that the average gamer is going to buy this type of game for $50??

I doubt Katamari Damacy wouldn't have made such a huge cult following had it not be sold at the reduced afordable $20 price tag. That seems reasonable for a curious consumer to drop on a game. Even the sequel was sold at $30 to make a little extra money, but not compremise a casual gamer's curious versus expense.

Shadow of the Collosus is another niche game that the casual average gamer wouldn't drop $50 to check out. I'm not even sure if they'd buy it for $40 either...

$50 is alot for any new game these days, especially one that the average gamer wouldn't easily buy in the first place.. I like Nintendo and everything, but i think it's a stupid decision to sell for so much. I don't know of anyone who bought Pikmin 2, regardless of how much they loved the first one thanks to the $50 price tag.

sigh.... I think i'll be in line to rent this one until it drops to a reasonable price.

[quote name='dyreschlock']http://cube.ign.com/objects/550/550539.html

this game looks wildly entertaining, but what is with the $50 price tag? Does Nintendo really think that the average gamer is going to buy this type of game for $50??

I doubt Katamari Damacy wouldn't have made such a huge cult following had it not be sold at the reduced afordable $20 price tag. That seems reasonable for a curious consumer to drop on a game. Even the sequel was sold at $30 to make a little extra money, but not compremise a casual gamer's curious versus expense.

Shadow of the Collosus is another niche game that the casual average gamer wouldn't drop $50 to check out. I'm not even sure if they'd buy it for $40 either...

$50 is alot for any new game these days, especially one that the average gamer wouldn't easily buy in the first place.. I like Nintendo and everything, but i think it's a stupid decision to sell for so much. I don't know of anyone who bought Pikmin 2, regardless of how much they loved the first one thanks to the $50 price tag.

sigh.... I think i'll be in line to rent this one until it drops to a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]
I agree, so I might be quickly preordering that at GameRush since their current promo knocks it down to 39.99 automatically. And my credit is about 50 cents on the dollar, so ~$20.

The other one that worries me is Odama. I don't know how likely sales are going to be for that one when it releases, and I don't particularly want to pay $50 or wait forever for it. Might have to go the preorder route with that too.

I'll pay full price for both of these, or figure out some way to scam it down at BestBuy (will the $10 off $30 still work in Feb?).

I know $50 is hard to stomach, but I'm a gamer first and foremost. I'm willing to pay full retail for Nintendo's 1st party published games that actually interest me. I use discounts to fill out my backlog generally.

Giftpia may still be game on. Word is it's getting a UK release. If that's the case, then it's practically guaranteed Nintendo will try and release it online in the States.

hopefully the online only method will allow nintendo or someone else to take chacne with more niche games.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Giftpia may still be game on. Word is it's getting a UK release. If that's the case, then it's practically guaranteed Nintendo will try and release it online in the States.[/QUOTE]

What about Doshin the Giant?

Anyway, I would pay $50 for Odama, but not for Chibi Robo.

[quote name='chunk']What about Doshin the Giant?

Anyway, I would pay $50 for Odama, but not for Chibi Robo.[/QUOTE]

Good point, but there are a few key differences. The first is that Doshin the Giant is a pile of crap and it wouldn't have been received well with its primitive gameplay and crap depth.

The second is, there's no thread clamoring for Doshin the Giant every other day on the Nintendo boards while there very much is for Giftpia.

The third is that around the time of Doshin's release, the Nintendo Online Store was not yet in existence. A full blown retail rollout would have most definitely failed for such a crap game, especially one that had little to no interest here in the States.

Yowzers, I was thinking Chibi Robo was going to be a $30 budget game to begin with. I guess I'll forget that this exists for awhile until we start seeing price drops.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Good point, but there are a few key differences. The first is that Doshin the Giant is a pile of crap and it wouldn't have been received well with its primitive gameplay and crap depth.[/quote]

I love Doshin the Giant. It's one of my favorite gamecube games.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
The second is, there's no thread clamoring for Doshin the Giant every other day on the Nintendo boards while there very much is for Giftpia.[/quote]

I don't think there is more interest for Giftpia than Doshin. As far as I know there is no translation guide for Giftpia, but there was one for Doshin before the EU release. To me that says that there might have been even more interest in Doshin than Giftpia. However, since the EU release I imagine there is less demand for a US Doshin because anyone that wants an English version of Doshin can import from EU (not so for Giftpia).

If there is more interest in Giftpia than Doshin then it is probably for the same reason that Shenmue II failed on Xbox. That is, because everyone that was interested already imported the EU version.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
The third is that around the time of Doshin's release, the Nintendo Online Store was not yet in existence. A full blown retail rollout would have most definitely failed for such a crap game, especially one that had little to no interest here in the States.[/QUOTE]

Ok. You have a point about the Online Store.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yowzers, I was thinking Chibi Robo was going to be a $30 budget game to begin with. I guess I'll forget that this exists for awhile until we start seeing price drops.[/QUOTE]

Ship, I'm getting it for "full retail" yet also as a budget $30 title since I used the GR preorder deal :D. Otherwise, like you, I'd be waiting a while.

I was in GS buying a copy of Kuon tonight and was surprised to see a preorder display for Chibi Robo with the cover art - pretty cool... So there is some marketing going on in any case.

I have not preordered Odama at GR yet (Botticus - did you ever check for it there?), but I will probably try to switch something like B&W PSP for it when I get the chance.

I wouldn't get either for $50 cash, that's for sure. I'd have a hard time even using $50 in GR trade credit for them. Who knows what deal GR will bring next week. I guess, Botticus, that you are hoping to use the $39.99 deal as a preorder? Hopefully they won't give you crap about that.

[quote name='io']Ship, I'm getting it for "full retail" yet also as a budget $30 title since I used the GR preorder deal :D. Otherwise, like you, I'd be waiting a while.

I was in GS buying a copy of Kuon tonight and was surprised to see a preorder display for Chibi Robo with the cover art - pretty cool... So there is some marketing going on in any case.

I have not preordered Odama at GR yet (Botticus - did you ever check for it there?), but I will probably try to switch something like B&W PSP for it when I get the chance.

I wouldn't get either for $50 cash, that's for sure. I'd have a hard time even using $50 in GR trade credit for them. Who knows what deal GR will bring next week. I guess, Botticus, that you are hoping to use the $39.99 deal as a preorder? Hopefully they won't give you crap about that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've been slacking ;) I've had too good luck just trading in at my Blockbuster to bother with a trip to GameRush yet. I have a feeling Odama might take some work to look up: make sure its spelled correctly, make sure its listed as "Odama" as opposed to "Yoot Saito's Odama", etc. I should be over there this weekend though, to do a last check of the preowned if the 25% off is going to end Monday, and get those preorders taken care of. I will report back when I know more.

And yeah, Nemesis mentioned he sold some preorders at 39.99 before early on, so it should be fine. As long as I get the knowledgeable employee, who I believe is a CAG. The others can get it done, just takes a while :p

[quote name='cochesecochese']Giftpia may still be game on. Word is it's getting a UK release. If that's the case, then it's practically guaranteed Nintendo will try and release it online in the States.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, but it's almost as good to have it released in the UK due to ease of importing on Cube.

I'm really looking forward to ChibiRobo. Been interested in the game for many months now, and I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun.

Didn't Miyamoto lend a hand on this one?

[quote name='Scobie']I'm really looking forward to ChibiRobo. Been interested in the game for many months now, and I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun.

Didn't Miyamoto lend a hand on this one?[/QUOTE]
probably not since Bandai published this game in Japan.

Edit: It also got an offical site: http://www.chibi-robo.com

ouch.. out of 10? gamerankings has it at 81% with 4 reviews. perhaps the lackluster reviews with bring down the price of the game in a short amount of time.

remeber GI's review with Paper Mario 2? They dont have options, they just rate games on how the public would rate them.

[quote name='62t']remeber GI's review with Paper Mario 2? They dont have options, they just rate games on how the public would rate them.[/QUOTE]

All that needs be said is Game Informer gave both State of Emergency and Enter the Matrix 8.5/10. Whoever trusts their reviews to be honest is pretty damn stupid.

[quote name='Scobie']I'm really looking forward to ChibiRobo. Been interested in the game for many months now, and I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun.

Didn't Miyamoto lend a hand on this one?[/QUOTE]Yeah, NP mentioned that Miyamoto was involved with making the characters and personalities. But they were already pretty quirky even before Miyamoto came into the picture.

Awesome... it's on the cover of the next Nintendo Power, should give me a better idea of its worth. Hopefully my next issue gets here before release.

Just to let you guys know, over at Nintendo World in NYC. We have the full game to try out on our interactive stations. I enjoy it as a full fledged Katamari fan.

Rest assured if the game is hard to find or in low quantity, our store will have close to 200 copies or more that Monday Morning it releases.

[quote name='sswan117']Just to let you guys know, over at Nintendo World in NYC. We have the full game to try out on our interactive stations. I enjoy it as a full fledged Katamari fan.

Rest assured if the game is hard to find or in low quantity, our store will have close to 200 copies or more that Monday Morning it releases.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you can answer my only question... is it tedious in the way that Game Informer describes it? Namely, that by the time you go where you have to, you need to go back (or get taken back) to your house to get recharged? Or are there various places to recharge so you can wander around about as much as you want?

[quote name='sswan117']Just to let you guys know, over at Nintendo World in NYC. We have the full game to try out on our interactive stations. I enjoy it as a full fledged Katamari fan.

Rest assured if the game is hard to find or in low quantity, our store will have close to 200 copies or more that Monday Morning it releases.[/QUOTE]

fuck YOU!!!

I don't mean that, I'm sorry. I just really want this game to come out.

[quote name='dyreschlock']http://cube.ign.com/objects/550/550539.html

sigh.... I think i'll be in line to rent this one until it drops to a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

But this is what the market is divide. You have diehard and casual gamers. The casual gamers hardly ever branch out. They only buy the titles they know.

Diehards try all types of games and will spend $50 on an obscure title.

I've had my eye on this game for awhile, it's good to see it's getting some decent reviews...but this $50 is just too much for me to take the chance. When it price drops, I'll get it for sure.

Well, this game is cute as hell. Doesn't necessarily make it a great game (only played a half hour last night), but it's a start.

Everything about the game (blocky but bright visuals, goofy sounds) just gushes "fun". There are actually some decent visual effects in the game as well (during one character introduction - a super hero toy of some sort - they use a nice slo-mo/cut-frame effect. Over a half hour, I didn't leave the living room, but it was rather amusing picking up trash and earning happy points (My ranking went from 1,000,000 to 88,000!)

My only complaint so far is the day/night shift. Unless it extends later, it moves too fast. So even though the battery isn't an issue (there are plenty of electrical outlets around to recharge in unless you ignore your battery level), it doesn't seem like you could go very far in the house before it went from day to night or vice versa and you were thrown back in the Chibi-House.

I'll agree with a lot of people that this probably wouldn't be a $50 purchase. I probably only paid around $20 out of pocket using GameRush credit, which was a perfect amount, I think.

I guess i should post as i really dig this game. I bought it from some guy who was attempting to trade it in, and got it for a great price. It was an impulse buy so i wasn't expected much but i am hooked. The whole point of the game is to get the happy points to get the upgrades. Once i get more updates, i get excited about the additional places i can go, which i think is what Skip was looking at doing. The exploration aspect is awesome. My only complaint is the non-skippable dialogue that you can not speed up. In one area there is a character that you can bet with about their eye opening. Well this area is a great way to get tons of molah or happy points, but you have to go through the non-skipable dialogue several times.

And to the poster above in regards to the time limit, you can buy time upgrades up to 15 minutes per half day. I got the ten first and then the 15 just so that i wasn't rushed.

By far the best impluse buy ever.

[quote name='thealternakid']
And to the poster above in regards to the time limit, you can buy time upgrades up to 15 minutes per half day. I got the ten first and then the 15 just so that i wasn't rushed.

By far the best impluse buy ever.[/QUOTE]
Good good, I was hoping that's what those did.

Wow, I had no idea what those time upgrades were for... perhaps reading a manual once in a while would be a wise decision.

I've played a little over two hours of this so far. Two gripes:

(1) the noises characters make when they talk get annoying. VERY annoying. Especially the pirate toy, who speaks very slowly. This leads me to...

(2) you can't speed up text. Some characters speak quickly, some very, very slowly. Get ON with it already!

Overall, though, I'm having a pretty good time of it so far. The simplistic storyline is not without considerable charm, and (so far) reminds me of my play-through of Katamari earlier this year.

[quote name='ViolentLee']"I should've married you instead of that lazy bum!"[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, she says that? I've only talked to her once over tea. I'm kind of uncomfortable with her.

Just gave this game to my son and we played it tonight for about an hour. Fun so far. The short time out per day/night cycle and short battery is VERY annoying at first but we've already upgraded to 15 minutes (from 5) and bumped the battery from 80 to 100 (which is still not enough :D). Got that ranking up from 1,000,000 to about 42,000 already too.

I can see how the non-skippable (and non-speed-up-able) text will become annoying as we progress. There were a few times where my son talked to the same character again by accident.

But I don't have an issue with the graphics as some have had. They seem fine to me - and we're playing on a 51" HDTV (yay, it's pro scan!). And the kids (my 3 year old was watching) think the musical steps are hilarious (my son likes to make him tiptoe then run to change the speed of the music). Of course, we've only been playing for an hour, so that feeling may change :lol:.

Control seems a bit strange, but it was definitely accessible for my just turned 6 year-old. Of course, he's a Nintendo pro by now having played GC games for the last 2 1/2 years.

[quote name='banpeikun']Oh wow, she says that? I've only talked to her once over tea. I'm kind of uncomfortable with her.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after you feed the fish in the kitchen while she's doing dishes or something.

I'm kind of disappointed with one thing... with the "Guess Which Eye I will open" game, you can complete ruin the entire balance of the game.

There's a power outlet right across from Pekoo in the basement, so you can go, bet all of your money, double it... continue about 5-6 times and have 99999+ Moola, then double that by the game, then bet large sums, lose on purpose, and get almost stupid amounts of happy points.

I'm surpised they didn't put some sort of limiter or diminishing returns on that game... or at least place the savepoint further away to discourage people from doing it.

So is this game solely about vacuuming up stuff around a house or is there more to it? I have a 4 year old and I'm always looking for new games to introduce to her.

[quote name='depascal22']So is this game solely about vacuuming up stuff around a house or is there more to it? I have a 4 year old and I'm always looking for new games to introduce to her.[/QUOTE]

Well, a small part of the game is picking up garbage (candy wrappers, bottles, etc) and cleaning doggy footprints with a toothbrush. Doesn't sound too exciting but actually while playing last night my son grabbed the controller from me to do the doggy print cleaning parts. He let me do the rest. He's 6 and plays a bunch of Nintendo games, but he likes the cleaning part (if only he'd do stuff like that in real life). Part of the fun, I think, is the music that plays during the cleaning part.

But that is certainly not the main part of the game - there is a story to it, though we're only 3 hours in. It can actually be a bit of a puzzle figuring out what you are supposed to do next. You need to obtain items to reach different areas, etc...

[quote name='depascal22']Thanks io. So this sounds like a good game for building reasoning skills. I'll check for it after a price drop.[/QUOTE]

I should add that during part of our Chibi-Robo session last night my 3 year-old son and 9 year-old daughter watched us play. They both enjoyed the characters (the girl with the froggy suit and Drake Redcrest) and were satisfied watching almost as a TV show (for a bit anyway).

bread's done
Back