Fire Pro Wrestling Returns!

Puffa469

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Dunno how many Fire Pro fans are on the board, but I have seen some wrestling fans here so...

Does anyone have any experience with the new Fire Pro game for the PS2? It came out a few months back and I just ordered it from Lik-Sang but havent received it yet.

From what I hear its light years ahead of the last firepro game, which was Z for the PS2, which was only a slight improvement over Fire Pro D for the dreamcast.

Anyway, for those that dont know, Fire Pro Wrestling is a 2D, japanese import wrestling game. Its not licensed but they use lookalike wrestlers with similar names and the exact appearance and moves of their real life counterparts. By avoiding licensing any one fed, they can add any and all wrestlers they want in the game. And this newest incarnation comes with 367 wrestlers, and 500 edit slots to create your own. And with Fire Pros robust wrestler edit mode, you can creat any wrestler you wish, from real life, or from your imagination.

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but Ive loved Fire Pro games since the snes days and I cant wait to get my hands on the newest one.

BTW: For anyone interested in imports, when I was ordering on Lik-Sang.com on Sunday, they had free shipping on all their games for a limited time. So if theres something you really want, jump on it! =D

$64.90? Ouch... But let us know how it is, or where to find reviews (I couldn't locate any). I loved the GBA games and Fire Pro D for the Dreamcast.

i liked the old dc version... everyone loves all the options etc the game has but i cant honestly play it continously especially with jap language...

and they usually have wwe/wcw stars etc...

DC version had Goldberg with a similar entrance theme and everything.. it was bad ass

still 2d right? sorry havent kept up with it lately

Heres a good article on the game from 1up.

http://cheats.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3144004&did=1

Heres a thread detailing some of the new features of the game.

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=47140

Heres a faq with details of the game in a faq from fireproclub.com

http://www.fireproclub.com/reviews/firepror/guides/fpr_beginner.txt

Heres a few movies of gameplay from the official website

http://www.spike.co.jp/fr/gallery2.html

http://www.spike.co.jp/fr/waza.html

If you loved Firepro D on the DC, then this game may be right up your alley. Ive been playing Firepro games since the first one, and for me its worth the $65. I even got one of those usb save game tranfer dealies so I can import people edit wrestlers.

Fire Pro R is the best wrestling game available. Period. I actually run my own online league using Firepro at ffc.fire-pro.net (CHEAP PLUG) so any firepro fans here feel free to check it out

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Wrong, King of Colosseum 2 is the best wrestling game available right now.[/QUOTE]

I love KOC 2 and up until I started reading about Firepro R, I would agree with you. But some people in the community are saying that FPR may rival even the mighty KOC2. In the end I think it comes down to how many dimensions you prefer, 2D or 3D, i think each game is the definitive leader in its catagory. I have nothing against 3D, I still play KOC2, hell I still play the AKI games for the N64.

But Firepro is where my heart is. I ran my own Firepro league starting with Firepro II. It ran consecutively for almost 5 years until it died out with Firepro D. I was sorely dissapointed in Z, and for the last couple years Ive been playing KOC games and the Day of Reckoning games for the cube. But this new Firepro game gives me hope that I may be able to start up my league again. Its gonna be weird tho cos when I left it off Eddie Guerrero was my champ...

[quote name='ZForce']Fire Pro R is the best wrestling game available. Period. I actually run my own online league using Firepro at ffc.fire-pro.net (CHEAP PLUG) so any firepro fans here feel free to check it out[/QUOTE]

nice fed/site ZForce! Your story parallels mine. My fed died out after many years and now Im reinspired to start it up again with how good FPR looks. My old fed was NSPW, Northern States Pro Wrestling. But for its rebirth Im going to call it NEW or North East Wrestling. I use a mix of the games ready made wrestlers, edits of real wrestlers and fantasy edits.

I came home from work today to find one of those 'we tried to deliver' slips in my mailbox and it said the package was from Hong Kong. It had to be my Fire Pro! Im almost tempted to stay home tomorrow and wait for it....

If you look at Play Asia, they have the game as coming out as a GH title sometime soon for like $35.

If playing imports on the PS2 was as easy as playing imports on the DC, I'd SO buy it.

[quote name='evanft']If you look at Play Asia, they have the game as coming out as a GH title sometime soon for like $35.

If playing imports on the PS2 was as easy as playing imports on the DC, I'd SO buy it.[/QUOTE]

I dont mind paying the full price cos I actually own almost all the origial fire pro games with the exception of the TG16 games. Hell, I even bought the limited box set of FPZ for the ps2 that came with a hardcover book, bloody bottle opener, and a ring bell cell phone charm. So a greatest hits packaged Firepro game just wouldnt look right next to all my other versions of the game.

But a GH version at $35 would be sweet, as it would get lots of american gamers to bite on this game.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I have fire pro wrestling 2 for gba and love it. Now, I need to start playing some of the other fire pro games.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. My EB has it a (complete -- with box!) PO copy for $3.99 and I've been eyeing it every time I go in. I couldn't remember if the GBA version was worth it or worthless.

[quote name='WebScud']This is off topic...

But how's Fire Pro GBA?[/QUOTE]

Not too bad at all, I bought a used copy of FPW2 off Amazon a few weeks back and was surprised to see it came complete with box and manual. Just be warned: the timing is different from the console Fire Pros, and it will take you a while to get used to it. I couldn't even get a move off at first because I was totally thrown by the new timing. Whereas on the console version you do the move as you lock together, in the GBA it's more as you pull back to lock up. It's pretty tricky to re-educate yourself...but just like the console Fire Pros, once you get it down it's no problem.

Still, it's very disappointing that so much stuff was lost between Final Fire Pro (Japan) and the US version (FPW2), specifically the Management mode where you run your own fed...sort of like a franchise mode in Madden or whatever. I know someone was working on a translated version of FFP (and made some very respectable progress) but that was quite a while ago, they may have given up on it.

I remember a while back they announced a "professional wrestling" game for the DS made by Spike, but not a lot has been said since then. However, with the DS sales being so high I wouldn't be surprised to see it before long. Fire Pro on the dual screen could be pretty cool, actually.

Oh, and KoC is NOT better than FPR. Ppppppbbblt.

[quote name='evanft']I just bough FPWD for $8 from some guy on a forum. I'm eagerly anticipating its arrival.[/QUOTE]

You will be a happy man! If you have a nexus memory card, or some other way to get files from the pc onto a vmu then your gonna be in luck. There are tons of wrestler edits and extra moves, as well as rings, and english renames for feds and wrestlers, all available in the internets. Just make sure to have alot of vmu's handy. A full ropster of edits and all the downloaded moves in FPD can fill up 7 vmu's!!!

I went and picked up the GBA version today. It was $5.99 preowned.

I was informed of a interesting tidbit for those that care. The copy was actually new. The wherehouse is sending stores some new copies to stores to sell as preowned, a la Persona 2, Gitaroo Man, Rhapsody, etc.

However, I don't think there is a reprint (since the price so damn low), I just think they want to clear wherehouse stock. So keep an eye on your EB for a spankin' new "preowned" copy.

[quote name='Puffa469']You will be a happy man! If you have a nexus memory card, or some other way to get files from the pc onto a vmu then your gonna be in luck. There are tons of wrestler edits and extra moves, as well as rings, and english renames for feds and wrestlers, all available in the internets. Just make sure to have alot of vmu's handy. A full ropster of edits and all the downloaded moves in FPD can fill up 7 vmu's!!![/QUOTE]

I would go for the Offical Spike Edits that contain real wrestlers from GSWF.org. If you have a DC web browser you can just use a regular modem connection to download, if you can connect to the internet that way. I think you can get the DC web browser for free or for peanuts.

I never got into downloading the extra moves, but it's there if you want 'em.

Shit... After finally finding my Dreamcast and games, I tried FPD last night and it doesn't work! It's a self booting burned copy, but I see no scratches or any other reason it should not load up.

[quote name='peloquin17']im ordering this from play-asia today.

i cant wait for it![/QUOTE]

Well no need to order yet cos that greatest hits version for $35 isnt scheduled to come out till April. =(

But in other news, I played Firepro returns for the first time ast night. It kicks ass!!! The new cage matches, and the barbed wire rope/landmine macthes rule! This weekend Im gonna run a 16man single elim tourny to crown my new heavyweight champ! =D

Well, I just got FPWD today, and OMG ZODSOROWEOWE it kicks so much ass!!!

Oh, and just so everyone knows, there is an english patch for FPWR available. You need to rip your Japanese copy of the game, patch the image, then burn the patched image. Of course, if you have HD Loader, you can simply dump it on the HD and be on your way.

EDIT: I also found this amazing program that this guy created that allows for burning DC game saves to be burnt to a disc, put in the DC, and then loaded onto a VMU. A CDI image with the program and over 3000 saves (including a plethora of FPWD saves, like the rename file) can be found here.

Ive read about that English patch. Im not too up to date on DVD ripping/burning tho... Is there like a dumbasses tutorial out there that would explain exactly which program to use, how to do it, etc... I got my first dvd burner in the mail last week and I havent even installed it in my pc yet. =p

[quote name='evanft']Well, I just got FPWD today, and OMG ZODSOROWEOWE it kicks so much ass!!!

Oh, and just so everyone knows, there is an english patch for FPWR available. You need to rip your Japanese copy of the game, patch the image, then burn the patched image. Of course, if you have HD Loader, you can simply dump it on the HD and be on your way.

EDIT: I also found this amazing program that this guy created that allows for burning DC game saves to be burnt to a disc, put in the DC, and then loaded onto a VMU. A CDI image with the program and over 3000 saves (including a plethora of FPWD saves, like the rename file) can be found here.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ryosnk']Which Fire pro wrestling version is the best?

For me its the version on the Sega saturn :).[/QUOTE]

They are all great, and I LOVE 6men scramble. But Firepro Returns, the newest one, is far and away the best Firepro game ever. And Arguably the best wrestling game of all time, period.

[quote name='ryosnk']Which Fire pro wrestling version is the best?

For me its the version on the Sega saturn :).[/QUOTE]

D, because R and Z are missing a majority of the default wrestlers who were/are signed with the WWE.

[quote name='bmarquardt']D, because R and Z are missing a majority of the default wrestlers who were/are signed with the WWE.[/QUOTE]

Thats true, but that fact only makes the game better if you dont download/import edits into the game. Firepro R has 300+ premade wrestlers, and 500 Edit slots. Ive already filled my 500 Edit slots with every amercian wrestler you can think of from the past and present. WWF, NWA, WCW, WWE, TNA, ROH, theyre all there...

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats true, but that fact only makes the game better if you dont download/import edits into the game. Firepro R has 300+ premade wrestlers, and 500 Edit slots. Ive already filled my 500 Edit slots with every amercian wrestler you can think of from the past and present. WWF, NWA, WCW, WWE, TNA, ROH, theyre all there...[/QUOTE]

I just like the default wrestlers with the "Offical Spike Logic" and attributes built in by Spike. I understand creating most of the former default wrestlers from the older games is easy as far as matching them up with their old appearences and attributes are concerned. But the "Spike Logic" for each wrestler isn't readily available, is it? I like my simmed matches to be accurate.

FPG...now there is a game that makes you appreciate Logic with it's EDIT RANKING mode. Loved that mode.

[quote name='bmarquardt']I just like the default wrestlers with the "Offical Spike Logic" and attributes built in by Spike. I understand creating most of the former default wrestlers from the older games is easy as far as matching them up with their old appearences and attributes are concerned. But the "Spike Logic" for each wrestler isn't readily available, is it? I like my simmed matches to be accurate.

FPG...now there is a game that makes you appreciate Logic with it's EDIT RANKING mode. Loved that mode.[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are faqs out there with the edit and logic parameters for past firepro guys, so you can accurately recreate them in the newest game.

In fact, the first edit pack I downloaded was from a guy who went and recreated every wrestler who was ever in a firepro game, using movesets and logic from those old games. So after downloading this one save game, you have a sort of 'Fire Pro Complete' version of R, with all the wrestlers ever from a firepro game.

Another great edit maker is a guy names Kagura, he has gone back and referenced his collection of Firepro strat guides, and all the older games in order to make the best edits possible. He even has an edit of Morio Smith, the fictional hero of the story mode from Firepro Special for the SNES!

BTW, if your into doing your own edit logic, FPR has something new. You can now link 2 moves together in the logic edit. For example you can make it so that Angle will always follow up the Olympic slam with an ankle lock. Or you can have Hogan always follow up his big boot with a running leg drop. You can link 2 moves up to 4 times for each edit.

i just got my copy yesterday.

best.wrestling.game.ever.

now i need to figure out how to download edits and such.

hey puffa, if i send you a memory card, can you copy the edits onto it?

No problem, I pm'ed you my info.

Right now my champ is Vader and he's headed into a showdown with undefeated Samoa Joe!

[quote name='peloquin17']i just got my copy yesterday.

best.wrestling.game.ever.

now i need to figure out how to download edits and such.

hey puffa, if i send you a memory card, can you copy the edits onto it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Graystone']This will only work on a moded ps2?[/QUOTE]

No. There are a couple ways you can play it without having a modchip in your PS2. Fliptop covers, HD Loader trick, taking the cover off your ps2 and using Swap Magic discs, etc.

[quote name='evanft']Man, FPWD is awesome. I'm using Goldberg and trying to get the WCW belt.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Jackhammers for everybody! lol

Have you downloaded the add on moves and edits yet? You might have cos Im not sure if Goldberg came as a default guy in the game...

He does. I downloaded that VMU CD I talked about. It has all the moves Spike released, some edit pacvks, ring logos, etc. It also has a rename file so all the wrestlers have english names.

[quote name='evanft']He does. I downloaded that VMU CD I talked about. It has all the moves Spike released, some edit pacvks, ring logos, etc. It also has a rename file so all the wrestlers have english names.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I have all my guys renamed to english in R too, the problem is, I havent kept up with Jap Wrestling in the past few years and I dont know who 80% of these guys are anymore, even with the english names. lol

[quote name='WebScud']Sweet. My EB has it a (complete -- with box!) PO copy for $3.99 and I've been eyeing it every time I go in. I couldn't remember if the GBA version was worth it or worthless.[/QUOTE]

It's an excellent game, even if it is FPW1 with less features, but more moves.

I like the FPW series, really I do, but until they come over in english I'll stick with the Smackdown! series and No Mercy (Yukes and THQ better come out with a remake on DS!). Yeah they don't touch the FPW series in the gameplay department, but they do have something FPW is completly lacking: presentation.

[quote name='peloquin17']big thanks to puffa for getting me a shitton of edits!

thanks!!![/QUOTE]

no worries, I hope you enjoy them.

Right now Im simming a huge 8 team round robin tag tourny. Looks like its going to come down to AJ Styles and Low Ki vs. The Briscoes

bread's done
Back