Analysts, developers: PS3 to be $399-$699

ryanbph

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142242.html

Analysts, developers: PS3 to be $399-$699

Informal CNN/Money poll finds many industry insiders think Sony’s next-gen console will be mighty pricey.

Ever since the PlayStation 3 was announced, industry-watchers have been prognosticating its price point. Just over a month after E3 2005, Merril Lynch predicted the game would sell for $399, even though it would cost an estimated $494 to make--before labor.

However, when Microsoft announced the Xbox 360, which uses current-generation DVDs, would sell for $399, many thought the PS3's internal next-generation Blu-ray disc drive would push its cost higher. That assumption was reinforced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) last week, when the first stand-alone Blu-ray disc player was unveiled--with a $1,800 price tag. (The Xbox 360 uses conventional DVDs, but will get an external drive which supports Blu-ray's rival format, HD-DVD).

In the wake of CES, CNN/Money correspondent Chris Morris decided to poll a non-scientific sampling of game analysts and developers to see how much they thought the PS3 will cost. "Several developers I spoke with (under the condition of anonymity) said their studios were expecting the system to launch at $499," wrote Morris, who included quotes from analysts who concurred with the assessment.

However, Morris said that not all insiders' estimates were the same. Some pegged the console as matching the 360's $399 price point--which, according to last year's Merrill Lynch report, means Sony could lose over $1 billion during the console's first year on the market. Several developers also low-balled the console at $450, while other said it could as much as $699. However, as Sony is staying resolutely mum on the PS3--until GDC 2006, anyway--no price is yet official.

well just from ( i forgot who it was ) from sony said it would be expensive, its easy to estimate and guess that it will launch for more $$ than the 360

Gamespot must be really desperate for PS3 news if they'll print this pile. Why don't they release another article right now saying the Revolution will be $99-$399? I'd be willing to bet a few bills that they're right.

[quote name='javeryh']Way to go out on a limb... Why not just say it will "cost some money to buy"?[/QUOTE]

Scorch predicts the system to be $0-$999 and the games to cost $0-$99.

I'm expecting $499, unless the system is delayed until late 06/early 07.

Theres no price, no firm date, and very little concrete information out there... I can't see this thing realistically launching in the spring, maybe not even the summer. If it were launching this spring, they would have to be manufacturing them right now, or just about to start.

From what I've seen, I'm getting the feeling that the hardware/manufacturing part of this is going to be a disaster. They are simply not ready and not close to being ready anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong, the sooner everybody is on board with the next gen, the better.

If it was going to cost $399, they couldve announced the price after the 360 premium package price was known. To continue to say thats its going to be expensive AFTER the 360 price point announcement, makes it easy to infer that it will be ABOVE $399.

I think what Sony is worried about most, is when Nintendo's price point announcment is going to be made. They got made fools of before when Nintendo cut in and announced the DS price point

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']If it was going to cost $399, they couldve announced the price after the 360 premium package price was known. To continue to say thats its going to be expensive AFTER the 360 price point announcement, makes it easy to infer that it will be ABOVE $399.

I think what Sony is worried about most, is when Nintendo's price point announcment is going to be made. They got made fools of before when Nintendo cut in and announced the DS price point[/QUOTE]
several good points

Analysts are my favorite, they think they can predict all! I bet they can't predict what times i take a shit during the day?!?!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
I think what Sony is worried about most, is when Nintendo's price point announcment is going to be made. They got made fools of before when Nintendo cut in and announced the DS price point[/QUOTE]

Huh? Wasn't the DS's price point released earlier than the PSP's?

As for the PS3, Sony already said it would be expensive so I think it's safe to assume that $399 is the bare minimum the system will cost.

[quote name='Vinny']
As for the PS3, Sony already said it would be expensive so I think it's safe to assume that $399 is the bare minimum the system will cost.[/QUOTE]

yeah most definitely, they wouldnt announce that it's going to be expensive if it cost just as much as the 360

[quote name='Vinny']Huh? Wasn't the DS's price point released earlier than the PSP's?
[/QUOTE]

Right Right. You see, Sony was going to have a big press conference at one of the various shows. It was WIDELY expected that the PSP price point was going to be announced at this time.

A little bit before that scheduled press con, Nintendo decided to make the DS price point statement.

That Sony conference, ended up having so little information, that I almost want to say that it was canceled, but I'm sure they said something.

That is at least, my understanding of the matter.

bread's done
Back