Anyone in Florida going to Otronicon or Megacon?

I went to Megacon once, a long time ago... it was pretty awesome.

What's the deal with the Otronicon? 9 days? It seems pretty cheesy, imo.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']What is FX?[/QUOTE]

Its a large action figure/ sci fi/ all the other crap people collect show thats held annually in orlando, I have gone the last 6 years in a row but its been around for a long time.. Action figures are my first love in the collecting world then video games. I mainly go now to see the special guest. This year they got some really kick ass horror guys, like the zombie master himself George A Romero, Sid Haig( captian spaulding from 1000 corspe and DR, he was there last year also) , Robert Englund and numerous others that I want to meet and have them sign stuff... Heres a link to the website, you might have to cut and paste...

http://www.fxshow.com/

According to the email I just got from GameStop, you can stop by a store to pick up a coupon off admission to Otronicon (doesn't say how much, though). http://info.gamestop.com/p/50042/56547/

I just finished volunteer orientation for Otronicon. If you're interested in the Cyber-Triathlon, the games are DDR, Gran Turismo 4, and Star Wars Battlefront II.

[quote name='Roufuss']I went to Megacon once, a long time ago... it was pretty awesome.

What's the deal with the Otronicon? 9 days? It seems pretty cheesy, imo.[/QUOTE]

same here... feels too cheesy since alot of the games on the floor are stuff that's really not unique... it's really just a 9 day oversized arcade that really has not much to do from the looks of it. Plus, there's no fighting games on the convention floor... fighters scream good competition, and all they have for competition is Halo 2 and Madden 06...???

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']same here... feels too cheesy since alot of the games on the floor are stuff that's really not unique... it's really just a 9 day oversized arcade that really has not much to do from the looks of it. Plus, there's no fighting games on the convention floor... fighters scream good competition, and all they have for competition is Halo 2 and Madden 06...???[/QUOTE]
Talking about Otronicon? There are several other competitions other than the "big" Halo 2 and Madden competitions. There's the aforementioned Cyber-Triathlon with at least two competitions each day, a Sparco GT Racing Competition (Gran Turismo 4 w/ racing seats and wheels), Battlefront II versus the 501st Storm Troopers, Smash Bros, Monkey Ball, Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal, Mech Assault 2, Donkey Kong (arcade), and America's Army. Unfortunately they're on different days, so you need to plan when you want to go. Schedule's here: http://www.otronicon.org/dailycompetitions.html

There's also a daily LAN party w/ a 48-hour lock-in on closing weekend with a closing party.

The site's not as intuitive as it should be, so you should click on the individual links on each main page for better information.

I start work tomorrow at 2pm til midnight. I'll likely post some impressions when I get back home, unless I wind up passing out after my full day.

Sorry I didn't post yet; I always came back tired after working.

There are four floors full of things to do. The first day I as stationed on the fourth floor, manning the Guitar Hero station.

The biggest problem is that they're using regular composite cables on all these glorious high-def TV's. I'm sure this is because all the equipment is on loan, and the museum can't really afford to buy all those expensive component cables for just a week and a half of use. I'm not sure if they're using the same cables on the IMAX screen.

Games on the stations rotate every day. We've got a good selection of recent games, but unfortunately nothing that hasn't already been released. I'm sure we can improve on that for our second go-around.

Yesterday I worked in the simulation area. Quite a many military flight sims to try out, including an Apache helicopter. (Those things are quite a chore to even get off the ground!) We've got a station where you can play UT2004 with 3D stereoscopic goggles with gyroscopic motion control.

We also had Darth Vader and his stormtroopers, some Umbrella cosplayers, and a suited-up Army soldier wandering around.

If you're going to be doing competitions, be aware that you need to register early, but the big competitions usually start at 8 or 9 and can go on late into the night.

I'll be at my third Megacon this year. Hopefully the game (both arcade and for sale) selection this year won't suck as bad as last year. The gamecube Naruto doesn't deserve the overwhelming amount of play it gets.

I might have gone to the Megacon if they would have had some good Whedonverse guests. It's kind of suprising that they don't considering that they have a devoted room just for Whedon stuff. California cons always get the best celebrity guests since they all live over there. Florida gets the shaft.

Hey Dafunk is this a place my brother could drop off his gamemusic demo to gamedevs?

Also what other Military simulators are there?

Hey man Im going tommorow and I have some questions, Firs of all. Is there enough to keep me there from 9 am - 12 midnite, and second is do the Workshops cost?

bread's done
Back