Akihabara Import Shop Links

thakingrocka

CAGiversary!
Update: I left Japan in April, so I haven't really kept up with the neighborhood. I'm sure some things have changed even since January, so if anyone would care to update this info with any changes they've scene, I'm sure it would help some people out. Thanks. (August 1, 2007)

UPDATE: Since I posted this, things have changed considerably. I am updating it now to reflect the current layout. (January 9, 2007)

UPDATE 2: Replaced the Club Sega link and checked on Gamengai map to find it dead. Added Trader link to map. Added a Google map denoting these places plus Kaosu Kan since gamengai map is not working.

Club Sega is your single most helpful landmark. You should see it when you hit the main drag coming from the JR station (follow the Electric Town signs). Club Sega is red and it stands on the corner.
http://xorsyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/google-streetview-akihabara-club-sega.jpg

The street to the left of Club Sega leads you to a little center of import goodness. Follow it down to the first corner. There will be a Trader on your left. They carry import titles of every system, but as it is a used games shop, the stock always varies.

Across the street from Trader, you will find two import shops, Messe Sanoh/Game Chaos and Game Hollywood.

Messe Sanoh
Street level, purple sign with orange letters, and a playable 360 kiosk (usually)
http://www.messe.gr.jp/chaos/kaigai_new/index.htm

Game Hollywood
It's on the 5th floor of a small building across from the Trader. Look up and you should be able to find the sign, then hop in the tiny elevator.
http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~ex/

Trader 2

The shop is on the main drag (Chuo-Dori) just a little north of Messe Sanoh (the regular one, not the import shop I mentioned before) on the west side (the Club Sega side). They have a yellow sign with blue standard-looking font that says "Trader 2", and the shop is small so pay attention. When you come to a corner with an Excalibur/Fauxbucks, it is just up ahead. They carry import used titles just like the other Trader, and sometimes they have a better selection (probably because they get less traffic).
Here's a map from Trader's site. It shows all their Akihabara locations.
http://www.e-trader.jp/trader/contents/sub/guide_store_map_akiba.html

An Interactive Map from Gamengai (Update: Seems to be dead, but I'll leave the link here just in case something is corrected in the future.)
http://www.gamengai.com/akimap.php

Since Gamengai is not working, I made a map myself using Google Maps. I don't think this existed in 2006.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...d=101591182279834077440.000474b71847b4488e03e

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man...picked up DOA 4 at Game Hollywood today...they don't take credit cards though :(

EDIT: In case anyone cared, it was 8200 yen ($72) which includes tax.
I guess its not too bad considering its $65 with tax in the USA...

i may post my links for online shopping in japan too soon. i am at work, though there is nothing to do here today, as you may have already guessed.

I found a nice little shop on the 3rd floor of a Pacman building there, to the left of Yodobashi Akiba. It has a VirtuaBoy set up to play, along with most of the older consoles. Best shop out of about 20 I stopped in. I just wish I could afford the stuff in there.... $60 for a Disk System??? That thing is a glorified C64! :)

Oh man I can't wait to check that shit out on Sunday! I am particularly interested in the super cheap 360 accessories and some older Saturn VS. games. First trip to Japan and it'll be a good one. WOOHOO!!!

though im not sure how to reconcile the yodobashi akiba thing (it's pretty far off), i have a sneaking suspicion that shop is "super potato". their main shop is in osaka and it apparently remains the superior shop. super potato can be found not too far from the trifecta of importation i mentioned. at that trader corner i mentioned near the club sega, take the road to the right. just walk a little ways down (heading north) until you hear some loud midi music, usually metroid or mario. look up and you should see all manner of retro goodness with the katakana super potato sign sporting the super mario world colors. it is near the mac store i believe.

http://img52.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc025357fp.jpg

i could be wrong, but this shop is interesting regardless.

It's a really shitty night pic, but I'm pretty sure it's close to the pic you posted, I just noticed it says Superpotato on that sign :) :)

DSC00354.jpg

maybe they have two shops, but ive never heard anyone mention another aki location. the pics might just be from different times. as the changes to this thread should show, the place changes more than i would like it to. the pic i posted was not my own, so i cant really vouch for it, but i wanted people to see the sign. it's pretty distinct.

btw, think you could resize that a bit? it's a little big for a forum post.

I was just out in Akiba last weekend and I found everything I was looking for, as usual!

Got Lost Planet CE for 360, Phoenix Wright 2 for DS, WarioWare Smooth Moves for Wii (the ONLY copy I saw ANYWHERE!), and The Warriors for PS2 @ Games Hollywood, Gears of War CE (US version) @ LaOX, and Parappa the Rapper for PSP for only 1980 yen at a small store along the main strip!

Oh and that picture of Super Potato is of the same place! They just replaced the advertisements for Adult and Anime DVDS with classic game characters.

I love wandering through that store but I've been trying to stop buying old games that I can't play right now so I try to avoid it! :lol:

[quote name='thakingrocka']im just beginning to explore the site, but this site www.gamengai.com has a nice little map feature for akihabara. i'm adding the link in the first post.[/QUOTE]

I'm visiting Tokyo in a couple weeks, just wanted to bump this up and say thanks for the map. VERY helpful.

no problem. i hope it comes in handy when you make it into the fray. the place is a mess, but of the "bless this mess" variety.

Insanely helpful, Ill be in Japan the end of September, and have been trying to get as much info as possible.

just thought i d tell people that for those who don t know they ve opened up a trader shop in shinjuku. just past yodobashi camera on the west side of the station. at the back they have 360 games second hand. plus they write on the front "Asia ver." so u can be sure ure picknig up the right version.

i got Oblivion for only 1,800 yen!

[quote name='j100']just thought i d tell people that for those who don t know they ve opened up a trader shop in shinjuku. just past yodobashi camera on the west side of the station. at the back they have 360 games second hand. plus they write on the front "Asia ver." so u can be sure ure picknig up the right version.

i got Oblivion for only 1,800 yen![/quote]
If its the one next door to Wendy's, its been there for at least 2 years.
You can definitely get some good deals on USA version 360 games too.

i played through the asia version of oblivion and, without thinking, i purchased the shivering isles upon returning home to the states. here's the good part: it worked, no problems.

asia oblivion, jp 360, american marketplace shivering isles, no trouble

I'm in Tokyo this week, so this thread is a great help. I'll probably go to Super Potato today, maybe pick up a system...I'm sure I'll spend a long time in that store in any case.

Anyone know if the Shinjuku trader is any good? I have never been there and I don't like going to places to waste time...but at the same time, I hate taking a train to Akiba...waste an hour doing it. :(

Hey guys I just wanted to say Hi. IM in Yokohama and I know all about Akiba and some of the shops. I recommend anyone looking for games if they aren't TOO new like that week old check out traders across the street from Game Hollywood first some times you can find what you were looking for for a few yen cheaper...

[quote name='PrinceOfHosts']Anyone know if the Shinjuku trader is any good? I have never been there and I don't like going to places to waste time...but at the same time, I hate taking a train to Akiba...waste an hour doing it. :([/quote]

Hey, Well Shinjuku traders is good for DVDs and some old games... if your looking for US/UK/China 360/PS3 games your selection for PS3 is almost non existant, 360 if your lucky you might get a few good ones. Bluray is so so for used movies Id really say, if your looking for movies, check out sofmap near fastkitchen (on the main street) and go up stairs they have more used movies there. But the games there are pretty lacking.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='mox2']An Hour? I'm guessing you switch several trains to get on the Yamanote Line?[/quote]

Nah, I'm on Keio. Just take the Inokashira to Shibuya, and then take the train to Akiba. The biggest time eater is walking to the station by my place. 15 minute walk!

it's nice to see that even 3 years on, this thread can still help people out.

since i see some people are using it, i went back and updated a couple of things. if anybody gets over there any time soon, check on my google map's validity, please.

maybe next time, i'll add super potato. i've got work to do now.

happy akiba shopping all. i wish i could visit again. it's been so long. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thakingrocka']

happy akiba shopping all. i wish i could visit again. it's been so long. :([/QUOTE]

Same here... My last visit was 10 years ago or something. I used to go Tokyo when I had a pen-pal there and of course, raided Akihabara (this was back in the 16-bit SFC/MD days... ahhhh... the memories).

I think with the convenience of internet shopping, the pain of not able to shop there has ebbed some, but nothing will ever replace the feeling of stepping out of the JR Station at Akihabara and spending hours walking up and down the streets combing through all the game shops for bargains.

I've promised my wife a trip to Japan, but with our baby on the way :bouncy:, I think it's not going to happen for some time... back to Play-Asia and eBay to nurse my import gaming needs...

I'm going to Tokyo in about a month, and want to pick up a JPN Xbox 360 + as many shmups as possible. Is Trader my best option?

bread's done
Back