- - - - -

OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

#31 erehwon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3119 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:14 AM

Amazing haul. Sucks that he took back Saga. I would have hid that under some of the other saturn games hoping he wouldn't notice.

#32 Jedi1979   Mobster Kitties! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:26 AM

hows about sharing the love on one of those PSone combos...

#33 Darkstraw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   11 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Darkstraw

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:33 AM

geeze if i had known he knew it was worth alot i would have tried to hide it best as i could...i guess i should have assumed he knew it was worth something since he had SO much gaming stuff, i dident buy his amiga or his nomad... i was just so happy i was getting it, i wasent thinking and i fliped through the games right in front of him, i almost just counted them without looking at each one... aghh im still supprised he let go of the turbo with the booster for 10, and 2 each for the games... i went back later in the day and got the genesis, saturn and some of the other stuff for pretty cheap, dident see the genesis games till i went back the second time.

#34 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:34 AM

geeze if i had known he knew it was worth alot i would have tried to hide it best as i could...i guess i should have assumed he knew it was worth something since he had SO much gaming stuff, i dident buy his amiga or his nomad... i was just so happy i was getting it, i wasent thinking and i fliped through the games right in front of him, i almost just counted them without looking at each one... aghh im still supprised he let go of the turbo with the booster for 10, and 2 each for the games... i went back later in the day and got the genesis, saturn and some of the other stuff for pretty cheap, dident see the genesis games till i went back the second time.

At $2 a piece for them, that's probably what I would have done. I've been really anxious to buy some Saturn games lately though.

#35 Photomotoz   Magic Missile!! CAGiversary!   1836 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:47 AM

hows about sharing the love on one of those PSone combos...

:roll:I wouldn't mind one of those myself, did they ring up as $10? I think my K-Mart had one or two in stock.

Wow, you really lucked out man. Those would be a score of a lifetime for me!

#36 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:51 AM

I don't know how I could go on after having a $2 PDS ripped from my hands, but there's no way that you could've known that that would've happened.

Hasn't been anything in MA for 4 months now, and we've been very anxious to get out there. March is going to be a long, long month...

#37 JackSuper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:54 AM

:roll:I wouldn't mind one of those myself, did they ring up as $10? I think my K-Mart had one or two in stock.

Wow, you really lucked out man. Those would be a score of a lifetime for me!

honestly though, did he need to grab every single combo? disappointing. congrats on your other finds though.

#38 DX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1650 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:57 AM

If I would have had that stack of Saturn games in my hand I would have droppped a $20 or $50 and said "Thanks" as I ran to my car.lol

#39 Darkstraw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   11 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Darkstraw

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:14 AM

Did i have to get every single one? of course, i plan on ebay those baby's :) the story behind the combo's is, me and my brother were at kmart looking for some ff7's and i see all those ps1 combo's up on the top shelf kinda covered up by a large 59.99 sign, the lady saw us interested in them and she said that, that was the christmas aftersale price, and it probably wasent 59.99 anymore, i asked her if it was back to 150, and she said she dident know, hand her one and she would ring it up, she rank it up and pointed to the little screen that shows the price :) actually they rang up at 9.99, i figure i can make abit on ebay if i put them buy it now 100.

#40 JackSuper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:48 AM

Did i have to get every single one? of course, i plan on ebay those baby's :) the story behind the combo's is, me and my brother were at kmart looking for some ff7's and i see all those ps1 combo's up on the top shelf kinda covered up by a large 59.99 sign, the lady saw us interested in them and she said that, that was the christmas aftersale price, and it probably wasent 59.99 anymore, i asked her if it was back to 150, and she said she dident know, hand her one and she would ring it up, she rank it up and pointed to the little screen that shows the price :) actually they rang up at 9.99, i figure i can make abit on ebay if i put them buy it now 100.

thats the thing - you're hoarding. if you're gonna do that, go ahead and keep it to yourself, because nobody cares if you're greedy ;)

#41 Darkstraw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   11 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Darkstraw

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:59 AM

indeed i am, im always looking for cheap deals to get just so i can sell it to make extra cash, it will help pay for all the garage saleing ive been doing! heck for 9.99 id put one in every room in the house, in my car, one on the ciliing, i dont see any big corporations handing out cash, if i see a really good deal, who cares if i have it already or not.

#42 Jedi1979   Mobster Kitties! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:12 AM

oh well so much for sharing the love...

#43 Darkstraw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   11 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Darkstraw

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:19 AM

sorry :( id let you have one if you were my cousin :)

#44 Desslok   Jetty-Fishin' N 16-Bitin' CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

why don'tt you guys just go and see if your K-Mart has some?

#45 erehwon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3119 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:52 PM

I don't think any sales have started in my area yet, but I did get lucky at a pawn shop. They had a stack of disc only games for $3 each. I picked up ICO and DarkCloud 2 for a little over $6. They also had space channel 5 for the ps2, but it said disc 2 and that was the only disc. I passed on that.

#46 Jedi1979   Mobster Kitties! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

why don'tt you guys just go and see if your K-Mart has some?

uh, well speaking for myself i know my kmart dosent have any from when i was looking for the screen only a few months ago...and unfortunately there arent too many kmarts around anymore

#47 Collaborator   wut CAGiversary!   107 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Collaborator

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

No kidding

I sold a mint used one the other day on ebay for $108. I'll investigate tomorrow whether any kmarts in the phoenix area have some (not optimistic). I'd say it would be quite worthwhile to make over 1000 percent on them.

Also interesting to note that there are quite few of them on ebay right now in new condition.

#48 mjainerin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

Picked up at a thrift

Sega Master System Games

Rambo Part II
Double Dragon
Vigilante
Hang on/ Astro Warrior

with boxes for 3.50 each
(they are going on my tradelist)

#49 keyshawn   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   10 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

keyshawn

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have not really devoted as much time to seek out deals as I used to; but I do have one good find so far this year.

System Shock 2 [included box, manual, and actual CD, pretty good condition]
$ 3

The local library has section that sells used books, cd's, and once in a great while, will have some PC software (although most of it is stuff like 'Learn Office '98 the Easy Way'). When I was browsing through there a couple weeks ago, low and behold, System Shock 2 was there. I'm not sure how it got at the library (maybe someone just donated it to the library, or it was a worker's personal game and gave it up), but I found it and it definitely brightened that weekend :)

I didn't even buy for whatever collectible value it would have; I've just heard great things about the game and want to play the real CD. Of course, I have not even played it, and probably won't for a few months, since I'm busy with school..

regards,
keyshawn

#50 erehwon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3119 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000
This FAQ might be useful. I had a hard time getting SS2 to run on xp. I had to break the copy protection just so I could get it to start in XP.

#51 snotknocker   CASH IN FACE KING CAGiversary!   2456 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

snotknocker

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

flea market find

atari 2600 w/controllers and hookups
58 atari games (all but 3 boxed games are complete w/instructions)

7 - nes games complete
1 - nes cart only godzilla
1 - NES game Punisher (still sealed - I almost blew a load when i found this)

12 - genesis games complete
2 - genesis controllers

SNES -complete w/1 controller
SNES - hockey 93 - complete
SNES games - cart only
Super Mario all stars / super mario world
link to the past
super tennis
street fighter 2

Alone in the dark 1 & 2 PC (mint)

1 Metallica (black album) cassette

Really cold day today, went to the local flea and spotted a couple of SNES games on this guys table, this guy is a regular and mostly deals in junk. I picked up the link which was a absolutely mint cart. the guys like $5 ea. for those games. Then I spotted the SNES, I then asked if he had any other game stuff and he pointed to a big box of games and said there's older games in there but there a little dirty. I scanned the box noticing the 2600 plus the Star Raiders and Empire Strikes Back which were completely mint. Unfortunately I was ill prepared today and had my cash in my wallet so the CIF method was out and there was another guy eyeing the box, so I asked "how much for everything?" I honestly thought this guy was gonna hit me with a $75 + figure, I mean seriously he wanted $5 for a single SNES game. Suprisingly he replies how bout $40? I instantly retort how bout $25 this stuff is pretty dirty. He comes back with gimme $30. SCORE! I get the stuff home clean it up and test and everything works. Best part was going thru the box and finding the sealed Punisher and AITD pc games . I've been wanting these game for quite a while. hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I can't wait for the YS season to start

Posted Image

#52 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

*mouth agape*

#53 Cambot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   580 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:03 AM

I'm new here, but here's a few things off the top of my head I've bought in recent weeks:

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Found this new TWO DAYS AGO at a GameStop. I guess it's rare, now.

Thrift/Pawn Shops and Used Game Retailers

-Sega Dreamcast w/ 2 controllers, all hook-ups and a VMU --PLUS-- Donkey Kong Country for SNES still in box all for $25.00

The following were for around $2.00 or less, most around $0.99

-The Ultimate Stuntman (NES) (Camerica game with one of those weird region switches on the back)
-Ring King (NES)
-Golf (NES)
-Shadow Gate (NES)
-WCW Wrestling (NES)
-Basewars (NES)
-Muppet Adventure: Chaos At The Carnival (NES)
-Bionic Commando (NES)
- HollyWood Squares (NES)
-Captain Skyhawk (NES)
- Xevious (NES)

Expendable (Dreamcast) $4
Dynamite Cop! (Dreamcast) $3
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts (SNES) $3
Super Metroid (SNES) $5
Super Star Wars Games (all three) (SNES) about $3 each

Happy Hunting!

#54 marten   YOU DARE NOT. CAGiversary!   2842 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

Strange day today...

Went out for a haircut and some lunch, figured I'd check a few garage sales that had advertised for a Sat-Mon deal. Of course, it's raining, so I didn't hold out too much hope.

Came by one about 5 minutes away from my place where everyone was huddled into a single car garage with a few tables placed around. Figured I'd go take a peek after I saw a Nintendo box in passing by. Went up, and the selection was rather horrible (you know how it goes...a ton of sports games), but one gem did stand out. I offered her 2 bucks for it, and she took it:

Posted ImagePosted Image

So yup...Ogre Battle for 2 bucks...can't complain at all. Thank god for idiots holding garage sales in the rain :applause:

#55 qualitydisc   with Rare Y-fold seal CAGiversary!   1515 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

qualitydisc

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

Excellent find...... I would be very happy if it were me. Congrats!

#56 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image
1 Sega Saturn System (with RF hookup, no power cord)
1 Sega Saturn Box (decent-but-not-great shape)
2 Sega Saturn controllers (newer version, 1 broken)
1 Madden '97 (SAT, complete)
1 Madden '98 (SAT, complete)
1 NHL '97 (SAT, complete)
1 NHL All-Star Hockey '98 (SAT, complete)
1 College Slam (SAT, complete)
1 NBA Jam T.E. (SAT, complete)
1 NBA Live '98 (SAT, complete)
1 PGA Tour '97 (SAT, complete)
1 World Series Baseball '98 (SAT, complete)
1 Sky Target (SAT, complete)
Paid: $5

Posted Image
1 Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES, cart only)
1 pink Nintendo game case
Paid: 25 cents

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a big fundraising sale at a middleschool a few towns away, so we headed over to try our luck. It was very poorly signed, and we spent a good 15 minutes just trying to find the thing. It was originally advertised as taking place at the school, but when we got there we found a sign saying "Yard Sale at Fieldhouse". There was no "field" in sight, and certainly no "fieldhouse" either. We finally found it, but it was ridiculous that these people didn't put up any signs. You're a school, you should know enough to sign your sale! Ugh.

We saw the Saturn stuff in a big box right away, and my heart jumped. I looked over the games and my excitement went down a little, and it went down even more when i saw "$20 takes it all!" written on the box. Punchout was right next to it (marked 25 cents), so we bought that right away, but we decided to look around the rest of the sale while we formulated a battle plan for the Saturn. The initial instinct is to cut the asking price in half, and then ask yourself if its worth it to you. $10 was a little more than I was willing to pay, but $5 would be just right. We went over and started to examine the stuff more closely. I was hoping that it was missing the AV or Power cord, and you can imagine my smile when I saw that it was missing the cord. We flagged down one of the guys working the sale, and informed him of the items incompleteness.

"Hrm" he said, "That looks like a standard power adapter. You can get those down at the radio shack." I told him that I wasn't sure about that (even though you probably can), and I didn't want to risk buying the wrong one and frying the system. He wouldn't go lower than $10. We then saw the broken controller connector, and then he wouldn't go lower than $7. He told me "There are $50 worth of games here!", which I smirked at. I told him that "The only games that are worth money for this system are RPGs, and sports games only lose their value as time goes on. Nobody wants to pay money for outdated rosters." He finally said "Alright, what did you want it for? $5? That'll be fine." He took it and we were out! I didn't think we'd be leaving with the whole bundle for $5, but then again we were out of practice in terms of bargaining and stuff. One thing we laughed about was how one of the women standing nearby was saying "That's the original Sega!" Not even close, lady...

We're heading to a huge fleamarket tomorrow that we've never been to, so that should be fun. By the end of the month I think we'll start seeing regular Yard Sales popping up again too, so we're really excited!

#57 megaseadramon   I'm not a Eunuch! CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

megaseadramon

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

You bastard :) I bought a saturn today at the local goodwill for $6 with no controllers or adapters but I already had them.
Posted Image

#58 asianxcore   ...to the moon CAGiversary!   6077 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

just curious,

of all the thift stores, pawn shops and garage sales all of you go to how often to find games?

#59 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

just curious,

of all the thift stores, pawn shops and garage sales all of you go to how often to find games?

Well, it's an interesting question.

You're much more likely to see games at flea markets and pawn shops, but they'll most likely be at higher prices.

You're less likely to find games at any single yard sale, but when you DO find them, you have a much greater probability of getting a good deal.

That being said, we prefer yard sales over anything else hands down.

Edit:

Whoops, misread your question a little I think.

Here are some stats:
In 2005 we went to 885 yardsales/flea markets, made 97 purchases, and spent $275. You can see what we got here. If you spend an entire morning out saling (8am-1pm roughly), you're almost definately going to find something. We only found nothing twice in an entire year, and that was when there was bad weather or it was on a holiday. 95% of the time, we would find something.

You have good chances if you put in a "full day".

#60 FOnewearl   Whooooooooa Bundy! CAGiversary!   1749 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

You bastard :) I bought a saturn today at the local goodwill for $6 with no controllers or adapters but I already had them.

That is an older Saturn though so it made what was a really good find even better :)