- - - - -

OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

#2131 FFBlitzace   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   269 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FFBlitzace

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

Probably a dumb question, but...

Those graphic novels are in Japanese, right? Can you read Japanese or something? Or does it have English text as well? Awesome find though.

#2132 moiety   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   2394 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

Probably a dumb question, but...

Those graphic novels are in Japanese, right? Can you read Japanese or something? Or does it have English text as well? Awesome find though.

All Japanese. I can read hiragana and katakana, as well as some kanji (I'm in the process of learning). What was cool too was the cardboard boxes they were in were labeled with the kanji for 'book' in big sharpie.

#2133 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21267 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:10 AM

All Japanese. I can read hiragana and katakana, as well as some kanji (I'm in the process of learning). What was cool too was the cardboard boxes they were in were labeled with the kanji for 'book' in big sharpie.

Where did you learn it at? School? Home?

#2134 ragtop70   Mr. Axsom CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

I don't know whether today's swap shop deal is all that great, but it seems good for southern Indiana. I walked in and saw a Saturn with hookups, 2 controllers, and 4 games (Madden 97, NBA Live 97, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2) for $30. Not sure how great that is, but most around here are $50 with 2 games at most. I kept looking and noticed Oblivion for Xbox 360 for $12. Again, I don't know how good of price that is because I don't have a 360 yet, but I figured the least it could be in store is $20. It doesn't have a manual, but I got the Saturn setup and this for $35.

#2135 Sailorneorune   (laughs) CAGiversary!   1533 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sailorneorune

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:57 AM

I'd say that's pretty good, compared to what most places are asking for Xbox 360 games OR Saturns. To get both for less than $60 is an accomplishment, considering the only place that sells quality Saturn stuff has a nasty little habit of asking its customers to bend over for any popular games.

/McVans sucks

#2136 moiety   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   2394 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:39 AM

Where did you learn it at? School? Home?

At home. I set aside time a couple nights a week after work for study, whether it be writing/grammar, reading, or speaking. Unfortunately the major component I lack is live speaking, but I do the best I can with what I have. There's lots of great resources online, I have some kanji dictionaries and other misc. learning books, and the Pimsleur audio program is really helpful, too.

#2137 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

I don't know whether today's swap shop deal is all that great, but it seems good for southern Indiana. I walked in and saw a Saturn with hookups, 2 controllers, and 4 games (Madden 97, NBA Live 97, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2) for $30. Not sure how great that is, but most around here are $50 with 2 games at most. I kept looking and noticed Oblivion for Xbox 360 for $12. Again, I don't know how good of price that is because I don't have a 360 yet, but I figured the least it could be in store is $20. It doesn't have a manual, but I got the Saturn setup and this for $35.

I'll give you $20 for oblivion (that's a quick $8 profit for you) :D

#2138 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21267 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:50 AM

At home. I set aside time a couple nights a week after work for study, whether it be writing/grammar, reading, or speaking. Unfortunately the major component I lack is live speaking, but I do the best I can with what I have. There's lots of great resources online, I have some kanji dictionaries and other misc. learning books, and the Pimsleur audio program is really helpful, too.

That's cool. I have the Instant Immersion Japanese CDs but I just haven't had a chance to set aside any useful time yet.

#2139 moiety   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   2394 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:20 AM

That's cool. I have the Instant Immersion Japanese CDs but I just haven't had a chance to set aside any useful time yet.

Yeah, sometimes it's tough to find time. The best advice I can give is to study on a regular basis, even if it's only one day a week.

#2140 ragtop70   Mr. Axsom CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

Sorry sp00ge. I was going to accept your offer till I checked EB Games and Ebay. My game is now on Ebay. I started it at $.01 and it's under the username ragtop70.

#2141 STATIC3D   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   342 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

Okay, so it wasn't found at a garage sale and it wasn't a "great" deal or anything super special, but I did find a Prima guide for the XBOX game Shadow Ops Red Mercury for $.99 today at GS.

While the singleplayer is okay, it's the multiplayer (including System Link) that is the most fun I've had with the game so far. The game has a slower pace to the FPS gameplay than say Halo (and more realistic type weapons). But, that's actually a good thing when playing with people who are unfamilar with FPS controls on a console gamepad (like myself before getting the hang of it).

The Institution level is GREAT for learning (or teaching others) the basics of FPS control on a console gamepad. It's an all indoor level which is basically one floor of a school with rooms and a few desks/tables around. While it may sound boring (just rooms and hallways) compared to what some other games offer, it reminds me a lot of that popular/fun Goldeneye N64 level.

If you're bored or want to find a game you can teach people FPS basics on a console, you should check it out some time. Anywho, I picked up the guide because it showed good top down views of the multiplayer maps with item/spawn layouts.

#2142 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:22 AM

thanks, Static3d. i'm gonna have to check that title out. congrats on nabbing the guide for so cheap!

#2143 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:57 AM

today's loot:

Posted Image

DVD Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, new & sealed
PS2 Arc the Lad Demo Disc, new & sealed
DC Sega Marine Fishing, new & sealed
DC Space Channel 5, complete
DC Dino Crisis, complete
all for $6

Posted Image

Strategy Guides:
PS2 Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (Bradygames)
GC Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Nintendo)
N64 Paper Mario (Prima)
PS2 Silent Hill 2 (Bradygames)
PS1 The Legend of Dragoon (Prima)
PS1 Vagrant Story (Bradygames)
all for $5

total: $11.

not much to say. nice weather, but slim pickings. still, better than nothin' i suppose. my favorites are the Klonoa 2 and SH2 strategy guides. i've been wanting those for a while now, and it was great to nab them both at once. i also don't already have Dino Crisis for DC, so that was pretty cool.

#2144 mjainerin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

DC console only, for 5 bucks, he wanted 7, I should have said 4, no, 3.

saw 7 dreamcast games for 30 bucks as well, nothing worth it.

#2145 Russblue11   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   40 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Russblue11

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

moiety and evilmax17 have been front paged:

http://www.digg.com/...e_of_a_sandwich

#2146 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1561 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

moiety and evilmax17 have been front paged:

http://www.digg.com/...e_of_a_sandwich

Great, more people to fight with for deals. :/

#2147 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

Oh dear...

Our hosting company isn't going to like this...

(but thanks to all diggs!)

#2148 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:15 AM

i still don't understand what "digg" is...?

#2149 CYRiX   Banned Banned   2228 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:47 AM

www.digg.com

#2150 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1561 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:38 AM

Really neat find today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phantasmagoria complete big box. With all 7 discs, all inserts, Strat guide and a boot disk that someone made to play it.

Even more interesting is that the original reciept was still in the box. A man by the name of Michael Brooks bought this game at Egghead Software in Carlsbad (the one I used to go to) on 9/2/95 for 64.02.

Neat.

$9 + tax for the game.

T2, WWF Royal Rumble and Captain Comic were $7 for the lot.

#2151 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

A few days ago, I went to Salvation Army and found a still sealed (Player's Choice) copy of Super Mario 64 for $7. Came with the cartridge, manual, and all the promotional materials. Box was a little crushed, but the game works great.

#2152 qualitydisc   with Rare Y-fold seal CAGiversary!   1518 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

qualitydisc

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

........you OPENED it?

#2153 Cao Cao   Spoooooooky CAGiversary!   3005 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

........you OPENED it?

Sure. I've been trying to find this game for a fairly reasonable price for a while now, and it wouldn't be worth selling since:
1. It's a Player's Choice box.
2. The box was crushed.

Now if it was a sealed Mario Kart 64, then you would have a point, as that game seems to be fetching a pretty penny on eBay.

#2154 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1561 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:31 AM

I got my Gamecube Kiosk today, total cost was about $15-20, not including the Gamecube, since I've had it forever.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2155 evilmax17   Yardsaling CAG CAGiversary!   7480 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:05 AM

Wow, what's the story behind that one?

#2156 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1561 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:17 AM

Wow, what's the story behind that one?

It was from work. My manager was gonna get rid of the kiosk and use the TV for the store. I wanted the Kiosk and the TV, so I told him I'd pick up a TV for the store if he allowed me to keep that one. Reason why I wanted it is because it goes with the setup and has mutliple outputs, even component. So I bought the TV for $15 and was able to take the kiosk home today.

#2157 doctordoom1974   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

doctordoom1974

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Bravo Kuros. You have rekindled our hopes and imagination in this almost dead thread.

Also, enjoy the TV that came with the kiosk. I have one of those, and the picture quality is great for a standard definition television.

Anyway, I have a find to report as well.

A friend of mine is moving and he doesn't have any space to store his old issues of EGM. These are magazines that he accumulated over the course of 1998 - 2002. Anyway, he gave them all to me for free, and I have been reliving good memories ever since.

Such as the interview with Hideo Kojima in the November 1998 issue, where is picured holding a gun.

#2158 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1561 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

Bravo Kuros. You have rekindled our hopes and imagination in this almost dead thread.

Also, enjoy the TV that came with the kiosk. I have one of those, and the picture quality is great for a standard definition television.

Anyway, I have a find to report as well.

A friend of mine is moving and he doesn't have any space to store his old issues of EGM. These are magazines that he accumulated over the course of 1998 - 2002. Anyway, he gave them all to me for free, and I have been reliving good memories ever since.

Such as the interview with Hideo Kojima in the November 1998 issue, where is picured holding a gun.

I'd say it's mostly dead due to the winter. Many of the most active posters in this thread are stuck in snowstorms. :(

#2159 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

i would've went out yesterday/today, but Christmas and all... next weekend though!

#2160 STATIC3D   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   342 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

So I've been interested in checking out Blazing Angels for XBOX.
No demo was released for regular XBOX.
Hollywood Video didn't have the game to rent (thphph).
The PC demo was laced with star force (um, NO).
And, I had not even seen it at any local GS/EB stores (mainly because the games was apparently released in shorter supply for XBOX than XBOX 360).

A local GameCrazy had one used copy (missing the manual, for a game this new? geez) for $35, or, a new copy for $40.
Being the CAG that I am, I didn't want to pay that much, so I thought about trading in some games (which would have taken a LOT of the games I had just to get this one...not a good deal either).

So, I hit up ebay and found the game averaged $30 + shipping (about the same as new locally, without the wait).
I decided to wait and see if I could snag one cheaper on ebay (ah, patience is a good thing sometimes).
As the saying goes, good things come to those who wait...I snagged a complete copy of the game on ebay today for $12 SHIPPED!