2006 Super Bowl Champions Pittsburgh Steelers AKA Official NFL Discussion Thread #4

[quote name='Ma12kez']I think the Steelers have a good chance, besides I think the BUS deserves a championship:applause:[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both points.

As Usual, total Disrespect for the seahawks, a team that hasnt allowed aregulation 100 yard rusher all year and won a playoff game with a negative 3 turnover margin.

Not hating on them, just more nervous then anything. Their defense makes me sweat bullets. They get too consertive when their up. Wistrom and Fisher played a great game containing the outside. I think the Hawks Defense Pretty much will have the same gameplan against the Skins' since in reality, the panthers and the skins have the same basic offensive formula. That would be One great receiver plus a Running game.

The Hawks need to put up 28 to win tho, I feel the Hawks have the secondary to contain Steve Smith Better. With a better offense , I believe the hawks have the receivers and a TE to stretch the field better again the defense of the panthers.

i think its gonna be roughly a 28-24 ish game.

I would have to mostly agree with your assessment. Except, the Panther's running game will likely be anemic or completely absent. It all depends on 37. Does he have the fortitude to be clutch player? He's been weakest in the playoff games. As good as Hasselbeck is, the Hawks need balance for the system to work. Either Shawn has to step it up, or they have to let momo do what he does best. (Which is not between the tackles, the Power O blast that Alexander is so good at). They'll need to run more stretch plays, more sweeps, and reverses.

One thing I found telling about the 'Hawks passing game is that now that D-Jack is back, JJ, B-Easy, DJ and P-Dub aren't getting nearly the looks. (Though admittedly, P-Dub was inactive) I'd like to see Matt spread it around a little more, or the Black Cats will load up on D-Jack, whereas yesterday the 'Skins were spreading out the coverage. Hopefully, Matt, Gil and Holmgren are factoring that into the gameplan for next Sunday.

[quote name='Quillion']I would have to mostly agree with your assessment. Except, the Panther's running game will likely be anemic or completely absent. It all depends on 37. Does he have the fortitude to be clutch player? He's been weakest in the playoff games. As good as Hasselbeck is, the Hawks need balance for the system to work. Either Shawn has to step it up, or they have to let momo do what he does best. (Which is not between the tackles, the Power O blast that Alexander is so good at). They'll need to run more stretch plays, more sweeps, and reverses.

One thing I found telling about the 'Hawks passing game is that now that D-Jack is back, JJ, B-Easy, DJ and P-Dub aren't getting nearly the looks. (Though admittedly, P-Dub was inactive) I'd like to see Matt spread it around a little more, or the Black Cats will load up on D-Jack, whereas yesterday the 'Skins were spreading out the coverage. Hopefully, Matt, Gil and Holmgren are factoring that into the gameplan for next Sunday.[/QUOTE]

There wasnt anyhole to pass the football saturday, the Redskins had everything covered. The Only thing that opened it up for the hawks was holmgren telling hasselbeck to scramble a little more to open up those passing lanes.

I think if it's gonna be Carolina's time that it all depends on how Jake Delhomme plays. So far in the playoffs he has been on, but when the running game gets shut down and he keeps holding onto the ball looking for Steve Smith to force the ball into he can really make some bad turnovers. The good thing tonight is that he was looking to mix it up to additional targets along with Smith. But with Foster out and Peppers hurt and traveling to Seattle it'll be a big challenge. Hopefully Alexander will be fully recovered and it'll be a good game. Seattle really doesn't have any good game film from these playoff games on how to stop Carolina because they destroyed both the Giants & Bears defenses.

I was dreading tonight all week long.

While I've seen the Steelers have excellent season after excellent season under Cowher come playoffs, well, 1-4 in AFC Championship games and 0-1 in Super Bowls says a whole lot.

Regardless of the fears I had of what Indianapolis could do I had to stick this one out. If you had told me we'd hold the Colts to 3 points after 3 quarters I would have thought you were on crack. If you told me we wouldn't have a 100 yard rusher but would at one point have an 18 point lead? Yeah, see that crack statement.

If you told me on a game tying field goal Vanderjagt would look like he was trying to peg a fan in the corner of the end zone for flipping him off? Oh yeah, that crack statement again. Last but not least.... non- called pass interference? Three Indy linemen get up and touch the offensive linemen on the heads with no call? An interception called back after a "football move"? Oh yeah, this crew deserves to be fired.

There's a reason they play the games and don't decide them on paper with statistics and probability. USC discovered it the hard way and so did Indy.

While I have a ton of respect for Tony Dungy (As a superb player with the Steelers and as a classy head coach.) he was outcoached today by Cowher, LeBeau and Wisenhut.

Team of Destiny are my beloved Steelers? I've seen too many blown AFC Championship ganes in the last 25 years 84, 94, 98, 01 and 05. Until they're holding a Lombardi Trophy I'm never going to think it's a given.

For all the Steelers fans and you bandwagon jumpers remember this list.

The last time the Steelers won the Super Bowl.....

- ESPN didn't exist, neither did FOX.
- Cable was a way to get better reception.
- AT&T was just "The Phone Company".
- Pac Man hadn't started its "fever" yet.
- Sister Sledge had a recent hit.
- The Empire hadn't stricken back.
- Ben Roethlisberger hadn't been born.
- The big product launches were the Big Gulp and the Walkman.
- Diff'rent Strokes, Real People and The Love Boat weren't considered bad TV.
- Christopher Cross won 5 Grammys.
- There were American hostages in Iran.
- Jimmy Carter was President.
- There was still a USSR and no U.S. Olympic Team went to Moscow.
- The Rooney family hadn't told Terry Bradshaw an NFL quarterback would never be worth $500,000 a year yet.

You get the picture.

Always a fan but I'll believe it when I see it.

BTW, Denver is toast.

Nick Goings has been a solid runner so I don't see the Panthers losing anything in the running game. If anything, Nick Goings is a smash mouth runner and will hit you in the mouth so I don't think the Panthers lhave any problem.

As far as not giving the seahawks any respect, they are good but the panthers are battle tested and have a team that is determined to go places. Jake is lights out in the playoffs and the panthers have an excellent defense.

I won't make any prediction in the AFC game because both teams look great, but Pittsburgh is riding high with all the teams they have overcome and I would not want to play them if I was the Broncos.

The Panthers have a better team than they did 2 years ago, while the remaining opposition is not as strong. They can hang with the Steelers or Broncos if they get past Seattle. Carolina has a better defense than Seattle, though they aren't quite as balanced on offense.

The Panthers run game won't suffer much with the loss of Foster. Nick Goings is an above-average RB. I think the game against Chicago was their greatest roadblock to winning it all this year and they got past it.

[quote name='onikage']The Panthers have a better team than they did 2 years ago, while the remaining opposition is not as strong. They can hang with the Steelers or Broncos if they get past Seattle. Carolina has a better defense than Seattle, though they aren't quite as balanced on offense.

The Panthers run game won't suffer much with the loss of Foster. Nick Goings is an above-average RB. I think the game against Chicago was their greatest roadblock to winning it all this year and they got past it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Carolina is worried about losing Foster. He was able to make some plays when the offensive line wasn't able to make big holes for him and he's a guy who can break long runs and help in the passing game. Goings isnt as dynamic but I'm sure they'll figure out some game plan for him. I think the Broncos, Steelers, and Seahawks pose a much greater challenge to Carolina than the Bears did. Carolina's defense didn't look too great against an inexperienced Chicago offense, especially in the second half. Seattle wont be as predictable, and Holmgren has won a Super Bowl so he has some experience with big games.

As far as the AFC is concerned, it's a little harder to predict. Pittsburgh has played great down the stretch and at Cincinatti and Indy but they may be a tired team (much like the skins). I didnt watch too much of Denver during the season, and the Pats just fell apart against them. The biggest advantage they have going for them is playing at home and the biggest disadvantage is Jake Plummer, nuff said.

I think Carolina and Seattle will bring the "A" game on Sunday. Figure that Carolina will have some difficulty with because they lost their running back to a broken ankle. Steve Smith will be a major problem for the Hawks D.

Seattle will be in good hands with Hasslebeck. I think the embarrassment with Green Bay taught him a lesson to use his head and not his instincts. He should this when he had Jurevicius change his route and picked up a big first down. He audibled on 3rd and 3 late in the fourth and hand it off to Mack Strong for 32 on the ground and the helped set up a Josh Brown fieldgoal.

A think the that Alexander will be the X factor in the game. He will be Seattle's ticket to Detroit or an early offseason.

I really see a Denver / Seattle Superbowl. Two former division rivals meeting again in the big dance.

[quote name='Dante Devil']I think Carolina and Seattle will bring the "A" game on Sunday. Figure that Carolina will have some difficulty with because they lost their running back to a broken ankle. Steve Smith will be a major problem for the Hawks D.

Seattle will be in good hands with Hasslebeck. I think the embarrassment with Green Bay taught him a lesson to use his head and not his instincts. He should this when he had Jurevicius change his route and picked up a big first down. He audibled on 3rd and 3 late in the fourth and hand it off to Mack Strong for 32 on the ground and the helped set up a Josh Brown fieldgoal.

A think the that Alexander will be the X factor in the game. He will be Seattle's ticket to Detroit or an early offseason.

I really see a Denver / Seattle Superbowl. Two former division rivals meeting again in the big dance.[/QUOTE]

I can't see Seattle making the SuperBowl if their special teams plays like they did yesterday.

That interception reversal was the biggest crock of shit I've ever seen. I think it might be the worst call I've ever seen in any sport.

[quote name='javeryh']That interception reversal was the biggest crock of shit I've ever seen. I think it might be the worst call I've ever seen in any sport.[/QUOTE]

The defensive pass interference against the Patriots was bigger I thought.

[quote name='ph33r m3']The defensive pass interference against the Patriots was bigger I thought.[/QUOTE]

Bigger, maybe (I don't think so) but that is a pure judgment call and is non-reviewable. The interception was clearly made and it was the call on the field so you need indisputable visual evidence to overturn it. He caught the ball, fell to the ground and then on his way back up he lost it. If he just laid there and never tried to advance it and a Colt tagged him down then that would have been an interception - no doubt. He tries to get up and they say incomplete pass? Total bullshit.

[quote name='Tyga24']

As far as the AFC is concerned, it's a little harder to predict. Pittsburgh has played great down the stretch and at Cincinatti and Indy but they may be a tired team (much like the skins). I didnt watch too much of Denver during the season, and the Pats just fell apart against them. The biggest advantage they have going for them is playing at home and the biggest disadvantage is Jake Plummer, nuff said.[/QUOTE]

I think what you said is very insightful. Indy hadn't played in a quite a while. Dungy had them resting for the playoffs. Cincy lost Carson Palmer so quickly, one can only imagine what type of game it would have been if Palmer had not been injured. Denver is a different type of team. They seem more like a smash mouth type football team. I have a feeling Denver will give the Steelers a bloody lip.

Pick up the Steelers blitz and they are very beatable. Denver's offensive line will be able to do that with the combination of the running game. The Colts tried to ignore Edgerrin James early in the game and because of that got blitzed every play.

Very sad that my Bears lost, but the Panthers are my second favorite team, so its still all good. Anyways I'm pretty sure its going to be Panthers vs. Denver and Panthers winning.

man no body at all likes seattle, its so hard as a fan to get into it. Even out here on sports talk radio all people do is call in with the smashing. screw em.

i think Seattle has a chance with Foster not playing but the problem is that they got to cover Steve Smith...

my review of this weekend....

Seattle punched Washington in the mouth defensively.. i don't think anyone would have guessed that would have happened. Seattle defense outplayed Washington's and Washington's offense played too conservatively and desperately need another OC.

Denver beat New England soundly. Brady tried his hardest to get them the victory but you can't fumble 3 times and win. That was tough to deal with. Jake Plummer surprisingly looked cool under pressure and Champ Bailey came up with probably the biggest play of the post season...

Steelers smacked it to the Colts... problem is it shouldn't have been that close. the non-called pass-interference and the int reversal were the two worst calls of the year with the latter being the worst I ever saw. My Steelers stunned everyone with how well Ben was throwing the ball...Go Steelers!!

Both Carolina and Chicago surprised me big time... I couldn't beleive Carolina's offense dropped 29 on Chicago.. and I couldn't beleive Chicago's OFFENSE kept them in that game... Chicago played a totally uncharacteristic game for them...Carolina vs Seattle should be a great Champ. game

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, too bad about DeShaun Foster.[/QUOTE]

yeah it sort of gives an edge to Seattle..but not by much because I think Alexander will be timid after his concussion...

[quote name='DJSteel']yeah it sort of gives an edge to Seattle..but not by much because I think Alexander will be timid after his concussion...[/QUOTE]

Maybe he wont remember how much he sucks.

I didnt think the panthers were as good as they have played the past two weeks. But with the injury to foster, even though goings is a good backup i think this will end up hurting them big time. I do think Seattle is overrated but they should be the panthers without foster. Whoever ends up winning the AFC Championship will win the SUperbowl. The NFC right now just isnt that good. A healthy panthers team would maybe give the Steelers or Broncos a good game. Personally i think it will be Seahwaks Broncos. I thought the Colts would be there but they choked big time. Steelers played a great game but they wont be able to pressure Plummer like they did Manning. Broncos Super Bowl XL Champs

[quote name='javeryh']Bigger, maybe (I don't think so) but that is a pure judgment call and is non-reviewable. The interception was clearly made and it was the call on the field so you need indisputable visual evidence to overturn it. He caught the ball, fell to the ground and then on his way back up he lost it. If he just laid there and never tried to advance it and a Colt tagged him down then that would have been an interception - no doubt. He tries to get up and they say incomplete pass? Total bullshit.[/QUOTE]
The pass interference call is worse because the referee directly in front of the play made no call, the ref on the other side of the end zone came in and overruled him about 10-15 seconds later, called pass interference.

Both calls were terrible but i agree on the pass interference call being worse. The ref was right in front of the play and there was obviously no contact. If that is pass interference then there would be a flag on every play

[quote name='Madskills1182']I didnt think the panthers were as good as they have played the past two weeks. But with the injury to foster, even though goings is a good backup i think this will end up hurting them big time. I do think Seattle is overrated but they should be the panthers without foster. Whoever ends up winning the AFC Championship will win the SUperbowl. The NFC right now just isnt that good. A healthy panthers team would maybe give the Steelers or Broncos a good game. Personally i think it will be Seahwaks Broncos. I thought the Colts would be there but they choked big time. Steelers played a great game but they wont be able to pressure Plummer like they did Manning. Broncos Super Bowl XL Champs[/QUOTE]

that line right there nullifies your whole paragraph...The Steeler beat them..and with the referee's help Colts got back into the game.. without the int reversal and non-pass interference call the Colts would have lost bad...

people keep smashing the NFC, but as far as I remember people have been saying this for years and almost in every super bowl the game has been really close

[quote name='CaseyRyback']people keep smashing the NFC, but as far as I remember people have been saying this for years and almost in every super bowl the game has been really close[/QUOTE]

That's a great point, with the exception of my Bucs crushing the Raiders in 2003 and the Ravens demolishing the Giants in 2001 look at how close the other Super Bowls have been in this decade so far.

2000 - Rams 23, Titans 16
2001 - Ravens 34, Giants 7
2002 - Pats 20, Rams 17
2003 - Bucs 48, Raiders 21
2004 - Pats 32, Panthers 29
2005 - Pats 24, Eagles 21

The games were pretty competitive especially all of the Super Bowls that the Pats have won. In the other two games the AFC won big and the NFC won big. The last two games have been great in my opinion especially the 2004 game being a classic in my opinion. I think it depends on the composure of the teams and how long it takes for the to settle down. All of the teams left in the playoffs have coaches who have been to the Super Bowl. The Panthers, Steelers, and Broncos have a lot of playoff experience and Seattle is a pretty young team winning its first playoff game in who knows how long this past weekend. I think it all comes down to composure and execution. I hope that the conference games and the Super Bowl are competitive, but on any given sunday you never know.

Peyton Manning only solidified my opinion that he's one of the NFL's most unknown jackasses by wagging the finger at everyone else but himself for their loss. I think he's always been that way, even in college (wonder why he never won anything there...). For some reason hardly anyone ever sees it, especially not around here where I am. People always talk about how he's some amazing leader of his team, good leaders don't sell out their offensive line after a game and props to Bradshaw for calling him out on it in the postgame.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Peyton Manning only solidified my opinion that he's one of the NFL's most unknown jackasses by wagging the finger at everyone else but himself for their loss. I think he's always been that way, even in college (wonder why he never won anything there...). For some reason hardly anyone ever sees it, especially not around here where I am. People always talk about how he's some amazing leader of his team, good leaders don't sell out their offensive line after a game and props to Bradshaw for calling him out on it in the postgame.[/QUOTE]

Manning was just frustrated. Tiki Barber did the same thing after his playoff loss. When you get sent home you're pissed and sometimes you say shit you don't mean to say.

Still, Manning was as much right as Barber was. If his o-line actually bothered to pick up a blitz or two maybe the game would've turned out differently.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Peyton Manning only solidified my opinion that he's one of the NFL's most unknown jackasses by wagging the finger at everyone else but himself for their loss. I think he's always been that way, even in college (wonder why he never won anything there...). For some reason hardly anyone ever sees it, especially not around here where I am. People always talk about how he's some amazing leader of his team, good leaders don't sell out their offensive line after a game and props to Bradshaw for calling him out on it in the postgame.[/QUOTE]

I agree that was pretty shitty of him. Just imagine if someone like TO had said that or something similar to that.

on another note, looking at the stats from the past couple of games one really has to wonder how Steve Smith did not garner a single MVP vote.

[quote name='DJSteel']WR's just don't get the recognition.. he deserve alot of it this season...still no one, for some reason, covers him[/QUOTE]

Almost every MVP I can think of was a RB or QB. Maybe that's why so many WR have planned routines in the end zone now. The theatrics don't bother me much, but that would explain the "look at me" attitudes that most of best ones have.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Almost every MVP I can think of was a RB or QB. Maybe that's why so many WR have planned routines in the end zone now. The theatrics don't bother me much, but that would explain the "look at me" attitudes that most of best ones have.[/QUOTE]

i think voters look at it and say "that guy is good because he has a quality QB throwing the ball to him". WR is such a dependent position based on the performances of the QB's...

[quote name='DJSteel']i think voters look at it and say "that guy is good because he has a quality QB throwing the ball to him". WR is such a dependent position based on the performances of the QB's...[/QUOTE]

True. Football is such a team sport that grading individual performances can be difficult at times.

Didn't Jerry Rice get the MVP one time? Other than him I can't think of any other WR.

Lynn Swann and Fred Belitnikoff won Super Bowl MVP as well.

1966 Super Bowl I - QB Bart Starr, Green Bay
1967 Super Bowl II - QB Bart Starr, Green Bay
1968 Super Bowl III - QB Joe Namath, N.Y. Jets
1969 Super Bowl IV- QB Len Dawson, Kansas City
1970 Super Bowl V- LB Chuck Howley, Dallas
1971 Super Bowl VI - QB Roger Staubach, Dallas
1972 Super Bowl VII - S Jake Scott, Miami
1973 Super Bowl VIII - RB Larry Csonka, Miami
1974 Super Bowl IX- RB Franco Harris, Pittsburgh
1975 Super Bowl X- WR Lynn Swann, Pittsburgh
1976 Super Bowl XI - WR Fred Biletnikoff, Oakland
1977 Super Bowl XII - DT Randy White and DE Harvey Martin, Dallas
1978 Super Bowl XIII - QB Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh
1979 Super Bowl XIV- QB Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh
1980 Super Bowl XV- QB Jim Plunkett, Oakland
1981 Super Bowl XVI - QB Joe Montana, San Francisco
1982 Super Bowl XVII - RB John Riggins, Washington
1983 Super Bowl XVIII - RB Marcus Allen, L.A. Raiders
1984 Super Bowl XIX - QB Joe Montana, San Francisco
1985 Super Bowl XX - DE Richard Dent, Chicago
1986 Super Bowl XXI - QB Phil Simms, NY Giants
1987 Super Bowl XXII - QB Doug Williams, Washington
1988 Super Bowl XXIII - WR Jerry Rice, San Francisco
1989 Super Bowl XXIV- QB Joe Montana, San Francisco
1990 Super Bowl XXV- RB Ottis Anderson, NY Giants
1991 Super Bowl XXVI - QB Mark Rypien, Washington
1992 Super Bowl XXVII - QB Troy Aikman, Dallas
1993 Super Bowl XXVIII - RB Emmitt Smith, Dallas
1994 Super Bowl XXIX - QB Steve Young, San Francisco
1995 Super Bowl XXX - CB Larry Brown, Dallas
1996 Super Bowl XXXI - KR Desmond Howard, Green Bay
1997 Super Bowl XXXII - RB Terrell Davis, Denver
1998 Super Bowl XXXIII - QB John Elway, Denver
1999 Super Bowl XXXIV - QB Kurt Warner, St. Louis
2000 Super Bowl XXXV - LB Ray Lewis, Baltimore
2001 Super Bowl XXXVI - QB Tom Brady, New England

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Lynn Swann and Fred Belitnikoff won Super Bowl MVP as well.

[/QUOTE]

What about League MVP though?

bread's done
Back