- - - - -

SONY is planning their own version of XBOX LIVE!!

#31 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8808 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

:roll: That was just onf many simular instances. Halo 2, Phantom Dust, Forza... all took forever to join games over 4 months.

I got HL2 shortly after release and didn't have a problem. Nor the two other times I installed it. It took like 4 hours to install it off the net, but thats not bad seeing how its like a 4GB game.

And no such thing as what?

I've never, ever waited 40 seconds plus 20 seconds more to get into a game. You're either exaggerating or just making it up completely. Especially with Halo 2, say what you will about the game itself (and there is plenty to criticize), but matchmaking is easy and fast. I've never played Forza online so I don't know if that particular game has any online problems.

When Half Life 2 came out, there were problems with Steam. Problems like, oh, having to register your game online before you could install or play it, but registering didn't work at all when the game launched, and had major problems through Christmas. Problems that would prevent you from ever playing a game that you paid for. I'm not criticizing the PC as a platform, but please, every system has its problems. and pros and cons.

Half Life 2 might as well have been Derek Smart's Desktop Commander the first week or two it was out.

#32 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7550 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

:-s Isn't all that downloadable content something you have to pay for?

Additionally, the internet is 99% free downloadable content and theres petabytes of info out there.

A lot of downloadable content is actually included in the $50 a year.

"The PC has free gaming" argument is getting kind of tired in this thread. Ask the huge majority of people that have Live if it is worth $50 a year, and the overwhelming answer will be yes. Ask them if they play online multiplayer games on their PC and the overwhelming answer will be no. There will be exceptions, but I'm positive that that is how the results would turn out. Online PC gamers are a different breed than Xbox Live users. I get that PC gamers don't understand why people would pay for Xbox Live, but I also have no desire to play online games on my PC regardless if they are free or not. It's almost an entirely different issue alltogether.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#33 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8808 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

A lot of downloadable content is actually included in the $50 a year.

"The PC has free gaming" argument is getting kind of tired in this thread. Ask the huge majority of people that have Live if it is worth $50 a year, and the overwhelming answer will be yes. Ask them if they play online multiplayer games on their PC and the overwhelming answer will be no. There will be exceptions, but I'm positive that that is how the results would turn out. Online PC gamers are a different breed than Xbox Live users. I get that PC gamers don't understand why people would pay for Xbox Live, but I also have no desire to play online games on my PC regardless if they are free or not. It's almost an entirely different issue alltogether.

I agree with the entire statement, though I play online with my Xbox and my PC. They're two completely different things, its apples and oranges. I've been playing games online with my PC for more than 10 years, and I won't stop now, but its the exact same argument between PC vs console, without even considering the online part. They just have different types of games for different audiences. I get my RTS fix on PC, and I get my arcadey/action and JRPG fix on consoles.

#34 Kapwanil   You: Harm / Us: Nuke CAGiversary!   1852 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

Lastly, I'd just like to hit on the subject of quick play. For PC games you hit quick game, 10-20 seconds and you're in the game. For XBL I always get 'checking for games' for about 40 seconds. Then I get joining game for another 20. However, it took so long that the game is already full. So now it takes another 20 seconds for the XB disconnect.

Now, with the better UIs for Live like I mentioned earlier (Halo 2, DoA:Ultimate) I'm typically spending around 20 seconds for sign-in/setup/grouping up and around 15 to 25 seconds in finding a game and being in a game. So, overall, a good 40 seconds to start but afterwards it's pretty much around an 18 second or so average for me. With the better UIs you're into a game far faster, for the most part. It also doesn't hurt that most of those games still have a good number of random people playing at all times of the day.

Now, toss in something like Phantom Dust or Guilty Gear X2 #Reload or Outrun 2 and...well, you could be looking for a match for a good half a minute to a minute with no result. It's a shame, it really is, and I really wouldn't mind if some of the designs could toss off an estimated number as to how many people are currently playing what I'm playing, but that could be asking for a bit too much.

Honestly, it really all depends. I know that I was having a lot of issues with Halo 2 once I set up here mostly because the XBox was new, I had just tossed on everything from the Map Pack, and Live basically had no idea about my average connection or any of the specifics. As I played more the wait times and the load times decreased dramatically (at least by around half) since it could pair me better with other players.

I love Live as far as console online-play is concerned. It certainly has its faults and its issues, no doubt about it, but for what it is I'll take it any day of the week. Well, that and I toss in a game I just bought from EB, call up some friends and ask them to turn on their boxes and we're good to go. Unfortunately, various computer issues have been keeping us apart as of late and while it may be nice that most of us can be up for a bit of the ol' computer FPS joyrides some other friends are cursing out their motherboards!

#35 Scorch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   37483 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Sony's already went and stated that there won't be a central server for the PS3 like XBox Live :/

..who knows.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Sony's already went and stated that there won't be a central server for the PS3 like XBox Live :/

..who knows.

Agreed - I was looking for this sort of comment in this thread and was astounded it's the last post.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#37 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5172 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

Additionally, the internet is 99% free downloadable content and theres petabytes of info out there.

You pay for internet access, don't you? You pay because it costs an ISP money to serve you. The person who's hosting the content is also paying someone to dish out the content.

#38 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22402 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Looks like it is about to happen: http://www.joystiq.c...t-on-xbox-live/

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#39 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   21027 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

Now this is going to get interesting... the PS3 was going to be the powerhouse while the 360 would be the online concole. Slowly it's being discovered that the PS3 isn't that much more powerful than the 360 so the 360 looks like it'll have an advantage on the online field.

But now, it'll be a more fair battle.

PS- those of you that want to argue that the PS3 is technically better, go ahead. Until I see those graphics with my own eyes, I won't believe it.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Xenoblade X (2nd try) - :-k 

:pc: The Witcher - :) 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#40 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7550 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

No real details yet, but it's certainly good to hear something is in the works.
Posted Image

#41 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

If it is true, I'm sorry, but this fuels the DRM capability in my mind.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#42 Kayden   Banned Banned   17673 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

You pay for internet access, don't you? You pay because it costs an ISP money to serve you. The person who's hosting the content is also paying someone to dish out the content.

:applause: Yay, you can point out the obvious. You have to pay for the ISP with live too.
With Live you have to pay for the ISP, the live service and then the $2 map/character/etc. With PCs you pay for the ISP. Web browsers are free and faster. If you look hard enough, you can find anything for free. Additionally, user created content isn't something thats really feasible with consoles. Developement tools are much more refined for PCs. Finally, there is an open distribution model. You don't have to rely on one sorce to get what you're looking for.

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#43 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7550 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

:applause: Yay, you can point out the obvious. You have to pay for the ISP with live too.
With Live you have to pay for the ISP, the live service and then the $2 map/character/etc. With PCs you pay for the ISP. Web browsers are free and faster. If you look hard enough, you can find anything for free. Additionally, user created content isn't something thats really feasible with consoles. Developement tools are much more refined for PCs. Finally, there is an open distribution model. You don't have to rely on one sorce to get what you're looking for.

As I stated before, this is a totally different market. Unless you want to talk about console online services, take your fancy sig specs elsewhere.
Posted Image

#44 Psykodelik   Piw Piw Masta! CAGiversary!   1152 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Psykodelik

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

I'm glad Sony is going online. I have XLive and I love it. All we need to do now is wait and see how it turns out. I know there are some PS2 games out there I would love to play online with.

Here's one thing I don't get. People say they want it for free. That would be great if it could happen, but you need to think about cost. The man time and hardware isn't for free. Sure PC gaming has "free" but it's usually for one game(CS, Guild Wars, Unreal Tournament..etc). XLive and Sony is catering to more than one game. They are trying to make things happen that could easily be done on a computer. Sure, if I wanted to find out what my friends are playing, I could use Teamspeak or AIM. but w/Xlive I could just see who's online and take it from there. The price for online console gaming is about the cost of one VG and that's not bad compared to an MMO - $15 per month, $50 for 6 months, etc...

#45 itspaidgasterblaster   Be bound by nothing CAGiversary!   304 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

itspaidgasterblaster

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

I use live and its great but to me its not something that would make me want that console more than the others. My PS2 gets the most time even more so than my 360. I just want good games on all genres not just great FPS and racing games. I love my 360 and live but i would be okay without Live.
Take this broken remains

#46 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   2946 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

Just on the whole PC vs Console gamer, here is my take. . .
I love to play console games. I've been playing console games since I was about 6 years old on the old Atari 2600. I have tried many times over the years to get into PC gaming with no luck and now that I work on a computer for over 8 hours a day I do not want to go home and sit in front of a PC gaming for 5 hours. I like to sit in my lazy boy and play on my TV. I do play PC games occasionally but not as much as console.

Now for Online . . .
This is where live is a great service. I can hop online at any time see who is playing and have a good time with my friends who I can't see as often because they are either married or working different schedules. Most of my friends are in the same boat and do not like PC gaming, not that I don't like it, but I just can not sit in front of a computer for a whole day.

As for a PS3 online service similar to live is something I'm all for. I have played some PS2 titles online and did actually have some fun playing with a few friends of mine, but we do not play that often and most of us really enjoy the ease of XBL. The 360 has taken the service to the next level and I hope they continue to update the interface. Sony and Nintendo both need to view XBL as a starting point and create from there.

I truely think that for the PS3 to hook me in it would need some kind of robust online service and some games that really use it. I'm not talking about the sports titles or your FPS but something unique.

An example I just thought of — wouldn't it be cool to play through time attack on Shadow of Colossus and be able to post your high scores online in a leader board? This particular game does not need to be online but adding this to the game could add replay value.

997362.png

#47 ryanbph   Man Down CAGiversary!   7233 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

While i think the halo 2 multiplayer interface is good, I loved the original socoms interface in chosing rooms, or creating your own.

Posted Image

#48 Beana Blasta   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   708 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Beana Blasta

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:50 PM

sony has some serious catching up to do
Posted Image

#49 gaelan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

i'll believe it when i see it...same as their new console.

#50 Dr Mario Kart   SD/2D Defense Force CAGiversary!   10948 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Dr Mario Kart

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:55 AM

well, I'm surprised. I wouldve preferred if they continued to not care. Now we'll be seeing more games that

a) arent really that great unless you play them online, because it was crafted to be a primarily online experience

b) arent really that great because adding an online compenent DOES take away resources from other aspects of the game.

#51 specialk   All Heart. Grit. Grind. CAGiversary!   1004 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:42 AM

as for the computer gamer vs. the console gamer it was said earlier and best that they are 2 differen't breeds...sure $50 dollars may sound like a lot a year, but I really do feel that it adds MUCH replay value to my games.

to play the devil's advocate, and seeing how it hasn't been brought up...the 50 bucks a year is cheaper (in my case) than upgrading my computer to play the newest games.

also, it'll be interesting to see if sony's online is much better than the current gen's....especially if they aren't doing a pay service or a central server. for full disclosure i own both a ps2, gamecube, xbox, and 360 and like each for their own quirks.
this quote from the article really hit the nail on the head for me and summed up alot of sony's marketing from the past...

"Sony is known for their hyperbolic marketing: the PS2's Emotion Engine, the PSP as iPod-killer; it seems unlikely they could take the crown from Microsoft on their first try, but any attempt is a huge relief."

#52 Psykodelik   Piw Piw Masta! CAGiversary!   1152 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Psykodelik

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:27 AM

I believe that when Sony starts their "live", it might have "hiccups". In time they will grow and become better. If it will take over console online...just have to wait and see. They have a basis on how it works and seen how it could be better (knowledge from EQ,SW,FFXI and seen from XLive).

#53 jrhawk42   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   318 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

First off I don't think the ps3 will have a very strong on-line community because this is an area where sony is always cutting corners they don't hire enough network professionals, and they don't have the type of games your play online.

I think they ps3 will be a mostly cinematic game machine with hopefully beautiful graphics. MGS, RE, GTA and all the other 3rd person games that sony has thrived on do not translate well to online gameplay. I think we'll see alot of downloadable content from sony, but not great multiplayer interaction.

Second is the Pc system, I used to belive in hardcore pc gaming, and that all those consuls sucked bawls. Now I see that the games I play on Pc are alot different from the consuls. Most of the pc games I play are quite complicated and take alot of memorization, strategy, and understanding of the gameplay elements. I can't just hop into a pc game, I've got to study it. As for consul systems I just grab the controller and start hitting buttons till stuff starts working just trying to do something cool, or get to the next level. I run n gun yippiii kaiyay Shaq'fu, and thats what makes consuls so much fun is the complete lack of disipline needed to play them.

As for the price of live it is fairly cheap, but microsoft or the game publisher tends to screw you sometimes. First off the initial service is 1/2 that of any pc online game, and you get to play any game you own or rent. Some content you have to pay for like when the halo 2 map pack first came out, or new cars for PGR 2, but most of it is free, and improving all the time.

As for the revolution it's one consul I barely know anything about, and I prolly won't get one just because the gamecube, and N64 were so dissapointing in so many ways. I do give Nintendo props for at least being inovative is it's games, and set up, but they seem to be too creative, and just not looking at practical gamers.

My xmas wish is that Halo 3 will coincide with a 360 price drop, and will include halo 1, and 2 with improved graphics, and a online co-op mode,
or world peace.
Either one is fine.

#54 Dkellar   D I Y CAGiversary!   4455 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:28 AM

http://boardsus.play...scending&page=1

The post from the Playstation forums.

#55 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   38574 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

As long as Sony still has a free version I'll be fine.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.