Looking for Progressive scan DVD player.

repetske

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just got a new tv and want to get a progressive scan dvd player. My tv came with a DVI-I cable and I hate not to use it. Any online or in store deals would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if DVI is 'supported' yet--my TV has a DVI input, and my dvd player didn't have the output. My HD cable box does, but for the first 8 months it wasn't 'turned on.'
Does your tv also have component video input for HD? You might be better served with that; I'm not sure what the technical difference is between component and DVI, but DVD players technically aren't 'HD', they're 'ED', and all you'll get out of it is 480p, instead of the 720 or 1080i you would get from an actual HD source.

Isn't DVI for fancy computer monitors?
Maybe that input is intended to allow you to hook up your computer to that display and not a DVD player.

DVI theoretically is compatible with TV's/HD; I think it is used more for computers right now.
The tv industry is interested in it because with DVI, they can send a 'flag' along with the program, saying 'Record once' Record free' or 'No record' on the program, so it's added security for them. I don't know if there's any benefit to the consumer with DVI over component video.

Here's a couple of faqs [mostly from retailers] about DVI
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-dvi-hdmi.html

http://www2.dvigear.com/faq.html

http://www.edldisplays.com/support/cable-faq.php

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_1.asp

Both my tv and my cable box have DVI, but the cables were more expensive than component, and I wasn't sure they were compatible, so I just went with component for both my cable box and dvd player.

bestbuy has like 2 dvi dvd players
i think they are both 199.99
they use to be 299.99 just a few months ago.

their is a little picture comparing component vs dvi on the dvd player display.

dvi looks better.

i dont know much about dvi etc but the compare pictures dvi did look better

the cables do cost a lot though. BB employees get 50% off the price though :)

Thanks for the tips so far everyone. I guess I won't be using the DVI thing. I had read somewhere that this guy hooked up a DVD player using it, but it sounds like it wouldn't matter anyway. I guess I'm just looking for a cheap progressive scan dvd player then since my Xbox and PS2 aren't progessive. I assume the component thing is implied because I've never heard of a progressive without it. I still have an extra component cable laying around since I no longer have to use my receiver as a switch box. In case anyone is wondering or can offer better setup ideas, I got the Panasonic PT-50LC13 LCD Projection. I really just want to get the best picture possible within reason. I always hated to hear of people with HD tv's using composite or rf adapters.

Agreed, that's just sad. I somewhat cringed giving my parents a DVD player for Christmas, because their tv's so old it probably only has the RF.
A lot of the 'cheapy' dvd players that are below 50 bucks are progressive scan, and I've heard that the Apex players, while being cheap, aren't necessarily 'cheap' [as in crappy].
i just went to Bestbuy.com, and their cheapest DVD player is a Cyberhome Progressive Scan, for 40 bucks.
"Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 CD, VCD, SVCD, JPEG"
It doesn't have a DD or DTS decoder, but it does have a Coaxial Digital Audio Outputs if that's what your reciever has.
And I have no idea if Cyberhome is a piece of crap or if it's decent, but you should be able to find a decent, prog scan, single disk player for under 100 bucks. They even have one 3-disk for 70, not sure if it's prog scan though.

off-topic: Whereabouts in/near Atlanta are you? I live in NC now but i used to live in Peachtree City, about 15 miles down 85 from Atlanta.

I'm waiting for an affordable DVD player that upscales to 1080i via HDMI (DVI+audio). The picture is supposed to be amazing. I think Panasonic, Denon, Zenith, Momitsu, Samsung and a few other manufacturers are rolling them out this year. They all have +/- ... I'll probably get the Panny when it is released to go along with my TV...

Hey dt, I actually live around Decatur. I might look at some of the Apex players then. My receiver has a decoder built-in, but I think I will need the coax digital sound since my xbox and ps2 take up the optical sound jacks. Are the coax sound cables expensive? I've never even seen one.

Cool, I never had much call to head up that side of town, but small world : )
I haven't seen coax audio cables, but I haven't looked for them either--all my hookups are optical. They're probably about the same as the optical cables.
javeryh: How will that upscaling work? They have the tech now, it's just not that affordable, right? I had always heard that you were limited by your source material--that is, if the DVD itself isn't mastered well, or isn't a certain resolution, you don't get much out of upgrading. Is that true? Does the upgrade tech 'fake it'?

I think I am going to get this panasonic player.
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&oid=78811&catoid=-8039
I'm not sure how good it really is, but the panasonic player I bought over 5 years ago is still working, unfortunately I sold it to my brother-in-law for 75 bucks because I thought I would never need progressive play-back. If someone just really hates this or can offer an alternative, please do. It will be at least a day before I run out and get this.
edit*
Is this the cable I need to get the digital sound?
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.j...ookmark=bookmark_0&oid=78122&catoid=-8757&m=0

dtcarson: I think the upscaling technology does "fake it" because it is really limited to the 480p that is on a standard DVD. Either way, the picture is noticably crisper than on a standard DVD player. It also helps to have the farouja chip in there too...

A coaxial digital cable is no different than any RCA cable. I got one with my receiver. I use it because it's color-coded orange, but any cable would do.

Also, these cables aren't always expensive. I've had good luck with monoprice.com and sfcable.com.

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='LinkinPrime']Check this one out, If you dont care about brands heres one for 39.99 @ bestbuy.com

Ive seen it for 29.99 at Sams Club or Costco though

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...00961&productCategoryId=cat03013&type=product[/quote]

I got this DVD player. It works great. You can also pick it up at Target for $43.99. Thats where I got mine.[/quote]

Does this one have component? It doesn't say it on the product specs.

The difference between DVI and component is that DVI (Digital Video Input) is a digital signal, and component is analog. DVI is great for the computer market because it makes both LCD's and video cards cheaper (no hardware to convert to analog for transmission or hardware to convert from analog to digital for display) as well as offering a better picture.

Go by WalMart and pick up a Sanyo DWM400 its only 59.86 and is of much higher quality than the Apexs or Cyberhomes.. It has progressive scan and coax digital out. You can pick up one of the coax digital cables for 6 bucks.

bread's done
Back