Best Buy in Hot Water in NJ

BigDirty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Warranty issues, deceptive advertising are amongst the top complaints filed against Best Buy in NJ, where the Division of Consumer Affairs along with the Attorney Generals office have stepped in--

Read More

Hey there.

I worked at the Best Buy in Moorestown.

I started when they first opened, and was fired right before my 2 year mark.

I worked in the back, unloading trucks, moving merchandise, etc..

I had just been offered the position of supervisor, when it happened. I was attending college at the time, so my hours were goofy. It was alright though, because the trucks only came in 2 times a week, so they could work with me.

Well, at the time, I was into hardcore music. I never came to work looking like a scab though.
One day, before I went to a Soulfly concert, at the Trac, I decided that I would braid my hair, just for fun.

2 days later, I came to work. I redid my hair, so I had cornrows, which were neat, and tight, and looked pretty good, thanks to one of my friends.

I got some odd stares at first, but continued on to do my job.

An hour later, Cheryl, our HR, head of security, called me up to the office. She took me inside, and told me to immediately remove the cornrows.

I asked how they were out of regulation. She said, "You're not black, now take them out, or you'll be sorry".

Well, considering there were about 5 AA guys, of which 4 had cornrows as well, I said, "no", and walked out.

I had done nothing wrong. I worked in the back, for starters, my hair looked just as good as the other guys that had them too.

Well, I usually came in at 5pm, on Fridays, right after college. When I showed up at 5, my supervisor, John, was waiting at the doors.

He was all nervous, like he was going to hit me or something.

He took me into the conference room, and presented me with a copy of the schedule. They had changed my hours on Friday, to reflect, 2PM.

I was outraged! John had put me in for the supervisor position, and was like a best friend to me. I reminded him of my classes, and how they had changed the times.

He said it was out of his hands.

So I got fired, because of my hair?? No, I got fired, becacuse they were racists!

Well, I figured that I'd just finish up the semester, and then find a new job. I filed for unemplyment, asap.

Well, Best Buy appealed it. I drove all the way up to Trenton, an hour drive, for the hearing. They didn't show up. They told me that they'd reschedule the appointment, and if they didn't show again, the case would be closed.

Well, I told them to stick it! I couldn't waste another day of class, for them not to show up again.
So, guess who made the next appointment??

Altogether, I owe them like $1000, for the unemplyment they paid me, then decided to take back. F#CK THEM!!

Then, last year, I received a check, for over $100.
The store had been audited, and they found out that they had been doing a lot of bad things, in regards to peoples' wages.

Unfortunately, I was in tech school, and was unable to cash the check. I still have it, but I wish I would've cashed it in.

Yeah, Best Buy's suck major donkeycock. All I got to show for it, is a worthless check, and an employee of the month bookbag.

Bleh! :p

You could have sued them for the black comment alone. An HR person should know better, I would have gone to war with them over that crap. I can't believe they stereotyped your hair like that, that's golden.

Do you realize how badly they could be sued for that? Hell, the dumb bitch brought in witnesses! You had wrongful termination written all over that. If you're within a certain period of time you can contest it.

They were totally out of line, and it seriously might be worth trying to sue them, but come on, corn rows? On a white guy? If you can pull that off then congrats because I've never seen it work myself.

[quote name='zewone']"You're not black, now take them out, or you'll be sorry".

You should have sued their ass for that comment alone. What a bunch of assholes.[/quote]

If he has nothing but his word she said that.. he'd get nothing. He was terminated for not being able to work his schedule, whether they did it to fire him or not, thats what he was fired for. It sucks, but they covered their collective asses.

Wow, I'm shocked. I work right near that Best Buy in Eastgate, and I frequent it alot. I hope everything works out okay for you drone.

[quote name='BigNick']I would have called the NAACP. Jesse Jackson would have been all over that like white on rice.[/quote]

Uhmm... Jesse Jackson isn't associated with the NAACP, just so you know. Jesse Jackson is the Rainbow Coalition.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='BigNick']I would have called the NAACP. Jesse Jackson would have been all over that like white on rice.[/quote]

Uhmm... Jesse Jackson isn't associated with the NAACP, just so you know. Jesse Jackson is the Rainbow Coalition.[/quote]

My bad. Al Sharpton maybe? Whoever it is, they would have had a field day!

the mob owns all jersey BB. ever major company and corporation gets big (mutlibillon) think the own the world start playing dirty and get caught. then go to court and clean up the lose ends that got them caught they never stop playing dirty, but they act like it. they put on a face in the front while behind the face they are digging graves for all the new dirt to hide it.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']They were totally out of line, and it seriously might be worth trying to sue them, but come on, corn rows? On a white guy? If you can pull that off then congrats because I've never seen it work myself.[/quote]

Nah, corn rows and beading can work for some white people. Check out Bo Derek in '10.' What should be avoided as an abomination in the eyes of the universe is white people with dreadlocks. Some looks only work in combination with a set of physical attributes you can only obtain by choosing the right parents. It simply never looks good on caucasians. Instead it just makes you look like you have bathed in weeks.

No, that's the full story.

I am the most easy going guy you'd ever meet.
I don't like a lot of confrontations. We were like a family there.

What Cheryl said, was like an inside thing. That's why I just walked out of her office. I figured she must had realized how wrong what she said was, and would just leave it be.

In the mean time, we had gone through about 3 store managers. The last one, Dennis-something?-, was fired soon after, for fraud, or something like that. I talked to some friends, who I made while I was there, and they said they were on their 5th manager, 3 more, after Dennis.

I loved my job there. All the people were great, except the upper management.

Yeah, I could have fought it, but to me, losing one of their best employees, was damage enough.

I just wanted my unemployment, that I worked for. Along with the extra time I'd have for school. Actually, there's a lot of good and bad stories, that I'd love to tell.

Unfortunately, most people come here for deals, and don't want to hear about others' lives.

Plus, I piss everyone off, with my spacing, and excessive use of commas.
:)

bread's done
Back