I'm looking for GBA Run n Gun and Shooter recommendations

microjoe1

CAG Veteran
Hey,

Anybody can recommend some Run n Gun or Shooters games for the GBA? It has to be 2D of course. This is my favorite genre of game. I'm looking for suggestions since I never really keep up on game releases. I'm sure there are a few GBA gems I missed out on.

Here are the games I already own.

Metal Slug Advance
Astroboy
Gunstar Super Heroes
Gradius Galaxies

Metal Slug Advance was my favorite by far. I finally finished getting the 100 card and 100 prisoners. That was a pain. Its an awesome game and I truly enjoyed it. This is actually my favorite portable game and I own a DS. Astroboy was also a great game. I've completely beat all four of these games so I need a new challenge.

I'm only looking for 2D games. No 3D shooters. I'm kind of disappointed since the GBA and DS will probably be the only major 2D systems left. It looks like the portables are also going to 3D just like the consoles before. I don't want to have to play mobile games on my cellphone to get my 2D fix. I'll miss 2D games.

Make some recommendations since I need some new GBA games. I also own a DS so I'd be interested in 2D shooters for the DS, although I don't think I've seen any coming up. I already have Nanostray and it just doesn't have the same appeal as the GBA games I mentioned.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']How about Contra Advance: The Alien Wars ? I have this game and it seems pretty cool. It's really hard to beat. At least for me.[/QUOTE]
Ya, it's just too bad they had to alter so much from the original Contra III.

nm I saw it in your list.... wow I'm dumb.

You got all the GOLD run and gun games. I played CT: Special Forces. Not bad but it's not as intense as Metal Slug.

You try Iridion 2?

If you really liked Metal Slug Advance then you have to get the CT: Special Forces games (1 & 2), which play very much like MSA (no card collectable stuff though.) These are also both very cheap and new copies can be found with not too much effort at gmae-specific stores like GC/EB/GS.

There's a third one out in Asia/Europe and I've been hoping it makes it's way to the USA.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid that I might have had all the good GBA shooters games. It looks like this is a dying bread. Its too bad since they are perfect for portable gaming.

I think I'll pass on Iridion 2. I actually played Nanostray and I didn't really like it. I'm figuring since Iridion 2 is made by the same developer its probably the same type of game.

I've actually had my eyes on the CT: Special Forces games. Unfortunately, I have had zero luck find it locally. I'll keep looking since this looks like its the best I can get.

[quote name='microjoe1']Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid that I might have had all the good GBA shooters games. It looks like this is a dying bread. Its too bad since they are perfect for portable gaming.

I think I'll pass on Iridion 2. I actually played Nanostray and I didn't really like it. I'm figuring since Iridion 2 is made by the same developer its probably the same type of game.

I've actually had my eyes on the CT: Special Forces games. Unfortunately, I have had zero luck find it locally. I'll keep looking since this looks like its the best I can get.[/QUOTE]

same top down perspective but actually fun. Nanostray's touch screen features ruin it. Iridion has none of that and is quite a bit different. They share similar weapons but iridion is more fun, and hell it's cheap used. I own both btw and I don't like Nanostray either.

[quote name='Roufuss']A port of Metal Slug 1 was supposed to appear on the GBA... I haven't heard anything on it in months, though.[/QUOTE]

all the games, up to 3, were supposed to be ported. Maybe and hopefully it was moved to the DS where they don't have to compromise gameplay and graphics for a portable rendition.

I think MS 2nd Mission was a better design for a portable Metal Slug. MSA is pretty boring after you get most of the cards as the difficulty goes from hard to hella easy.

[quote name='seanw']People have said the first Lilo & Stitch game is a good Metal Slug redux.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, totally forgot about that one... it is a really good run n gun game, surpringsly has some difficulty as well.

[quote name='Roufuss']Oh yea, totally forgot about that one... it is a really good run n gun game, surpringsly has some difficulty as well.[/QUOTE]

Really!? Now that is interesting.

BTW, this has got to be one of my all time favorite cartoon movies. Stitch could kick Woody and Buzz Lightyear's ass.

bread's done
Back