- - - - -

Dragon Quest VIII

#211 dyeknom   Now in 2D CAGiversary!   3414 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

I remember playing this. I was like 48. I tend to under level on RPGs as well, but only because I'm impatient and want the story :). That Timbral of Tension was so awesome, but it ate some decent stuff.

Back in the day there was some kid who only leveled jess and the monsters and had everybody else at a retardedly low level... it was sorta interesting.

#212 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15222 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:24 AM

It's all about the Executioner skill for Darksteel. I actually had dragon soul for him, but he's doable with just those critical skills.

Yeah I finished the game completely Dragovian trials and all.

Playing some Xenosaga III today and realized two important things DQVIII was missing - intriguing story, cool battle animations, and mind-blowing cutscenes.

DQVIII was fun and all - I just don't think I'm going to revisit another DQ game because it's really not my style.

#213 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

I just finished off captain crow and am off to find the god bird. the dungeons have stopped being to the point where I needed to go through them 2 or 3 times before I could successfully take on the boss. I'm ashamed to admit I thought 'Red' (yangus GF?) was hot.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#214 Moxio   Supervillain CAGiversary!   35394 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

Why ashamed? She was smoking.

#215 mcelfour   Level 10 Lord CAGiversary!   622 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

Can anyone help me in finding a manual for this game? I was supposed to get a complete copy from Goozex, but it is missing the manual. I can't find it anywhere online, either to get a print copy or a digital one.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted Image Posted Image

Friend Codes
Spoiler

#216 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Can anyone help me in finding a manual for this game? I was supposed to get a complete copy from Goozex, but it is missing the manual. I can't find it anywhere online, either to get a print copy or a digital one.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not surprised. The manual is huge and doesn't fit into a regular PS2 DVD game case. The game originally came in a cardboard box/sleeve that had the manual outside the game case. (I don't know where to find a replacement, though, sorry :( )

#217 Allnatural   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1213 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Allnatural

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

I'm not surprised. The manual is huge and doesn't fit into a regular PS2 DVD game case.

Fits just fine.

Well, maybe not, if you left the FFXII demo in there...but I don't know why anyone would do that.

#218 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

I just left mine the way it was originally packaged.

#219 2DMention   Cyberpunk CAGiversary!   3842 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:26 AM

I'm re-visiting this game again after playing through DQ IV on the DS.

I'm trying it another way by exploring the world map and all dungeons, casting spells when it's advantageous, and only fleeing from fights if I absolutely have to.

Makes the game much more fun.

I used to skip everything, didn't explore, zipped through dungeons, and grinded for cash for the best weapons. This is like playing it fresh all over again.

If you haven't played this game in awhile, try playing it this way. It's like playing it all over again for the first time.
Posted Image

#220 TahoeMax   Tastes good with milk CAGiversary!   1760 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

The last time I went through I did everything I could to get the best monster team i could early in the game, then won in the arena until I could do the call team skill REALLY early. From that point my summoned monsters helped me get through everything about 5 levels sooner than I could have otherwise.

#221 Allnatural   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1213 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Allnatural

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

The last time I went through I did everything I could to get the best monster team i could early in the game, then won in the arena until I could do the call team skill REALLY early. From that point my summoned monsters helped me get through everything about 5 levels sooner than I could have otherwise.

It was late in the game before I "discovered" that ability. At that point I didn't really need them. Still, it was fun calling out My Three Golems. :)

#222 TahoeMax   Tastes good with milk CAGiversary!   1760 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Ya, I hardly used it at all the first couple times I went through the game. The most recent time I specifically decided to abuse it. :)

#223 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15222 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

One of the most fun things was trying to catch that liquid slime running around the castle.

I was used to seeing stuff walking slow as mollasses I was like - WTF is moving at 100mph tearing around :lol:

I wish you could have seen all the monsters on the field, that would have been way more fun then random encounters.

#224 DrNo888   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1026 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

God I really want to finish this game, but my son deleted my saves on my PS3. No way I am gonna try and make up that 50 hours. LOL
=========================
Posted Image

#225 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15222 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:23 AM

God I really want to finish this game, but my son deleted my saves on my PS3. No way I am gonna try and make up that 50 hours. LOL

Couldnt you download a save and pickup where you lost?

#226 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5172 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

I wish you could have seen all the monsters on the field, that would have been way more fun then random encounters.

Except that with the encounter rate being what it is, the overworld would look as crowded as Comic Con.