Flaming New CAG members for posting duplicate deals

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Is it me or does each newb who posts a duplicate deal get flamed for simply trying to make a contribution? Let's try and be a little nicer to the newbs, ok? Instead of calling them a fucking moron or some other such name, simply post the URL to the original thread and move on. If you really want to help them, also post the URL to the Posting Rules Sticky that we have at the top of that forum. Here's a good example of what you should do in this situation:

Thank you for your contribution. Unfortunately, someone beat you to it. Please do a search next time or read the thread at the URL listed below. Thanks and welcome to CAG.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32

you fucking moron. this has already been posted. please refer to my middle finger. carry on.

j/k

I agree, abusing noobs that way is just going to scare them out of the CAG community. If we mention to them it's been posted before, and be sure to search for the topic first, they'll figure it out for the future.

I agree also. I confess that i have flamed newbs in the past, but i've changed my ways. I think everyone has to remember that they were a newbie once too.

[quote name='daphatty']Let's try and be a little nicer to the newbs, ok?[/quote]

So it is written, so shall it be done. :grouphug:

[quote name='pukemon']you shaq-fuing moron. this has already been posted. please refer to my middle finger. carry on.

j/k[/quote]

Mother fucker beat me to it...damn.

not only double posting.... but newbs also get flamed for posting in the wrong section as well.... i feel bad for them...... we were all newbs once!

'cept me :p

I am talking with CheapyD about some better moderation rules.

Some things have gone well but there is room for improvement. This board is VERY lightly modded for such a popular forums. If users arent kept in check it can quickly get out of hand...as it has in the past.

[quote name='defender']I am talking with CheapyD about some better moderation rules.

Some things have gone well but there is room for improvement. This board is VERY lightly modded for such a popular forums. If users arent kept in check it can quickly get out of hand...as it has in the past.[/quote]

It doesn't need better rules - it needs better mods.

Most mods can't or won't handle the simple stuff like moving an out-of-place topic to the proper thread so don't expect them to handle harder tasks.

If you feel they cant do stuff than why dont you help them. Im sure if we assisted the mods by letthing them know if theres a dup thread or if a thread needs to be moved this whould help them get it done quicker. Mods- do you think this would help out?

We still get to flame the "HAY GUYS i herd u can return stuff at walmart without a receet is ths illegal? i wanna trade back a bunch of games" people right?

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']We still get to flame the "HAY GUYS i herd u can return stuff at walmart without a receet is ths illegal? i wanna trade back a bunch of games" people right?[/quote]

Yes. Morals rule!

[quote name='StealthySeal']not only double posting.... but newbs also get flamed for posting in the wrong section as well.... i feel bad for them...... we were all newbs once![/quote]

I don't know why, but the wrong forum thing is annoying. I usually point it out, but I'm sure my dry-as-the-Sahara sense of humor makes it look like I'm flaming the poster.

I would PM them but half my PMs don't get read. Maybe we also need a better PM alert.

If you feel they cant do stuff than why dont you help them.

1. It's not my job
2. PMing a mod everytime you see a misplaced thread gets OLD real fast, and it only makes them look like they are not doing their job even more especially when they ignore your help

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='defender']I am talking with CheapyD about some better moderation rules.

Some things have gone well but there is room for improvement. This board is VERY lightly modded for such a popular forums. If users arent kept in check it can quickly get out of hand...as it has in the past.[/quote]

Most mods can't or won't handle the simple stuff like moving an out-of-place topic to the proper thread so don't expect them to handle harder tasks.[/quote]

:applause:

I dont blame the mods. I know what the mods deal with. It's truely the head cheeses fault.

He doesnt really have very good guidelines or set parameters for the mods. CheapyD himself is very laid back and doesnt really think the forums need heavy moderation. He may be right but then again...I have seen forums get out of hand really quickly.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='defender']I am talking with CheapyD about some better moderation rules.

Most mods can't or won't handle the simple stuff like moving an out-of-place topic to the proper thread so don't expect them to handle harder tasks.[/quote]

I for one move an out of place topic everytime it is noticed. You may not notice it, but it happens more than you think. You just don't know when it happens. I probably move about 5-10 out of place topics per day.

I think we should leave things the way they are. There is nothing worse then a message board where everything is heavily policed and everyone takes stuff seriously. It's just a fucking message board let people do what they want as long it isn't REALLY causing a MAJOR disruption. Just my 2 cents...

it does get annoying when you re-post. even searching is hard to make sure your not reposting. but flamming newbies isn't the right thing to do. it will make people think badly of this site and give all of us a bad name.

[quote name='jimbodan']I think we should leave things the way they are. There is nothing worse then a message board where everything is heavily policed and everyone takes stuff seriously. It's just a shaq-fuing message board let people do what they want as long it isn't REALLY causing a MAJOR disruption. Just my 2 cents...[/quote]

This is how CheapyD feels....and like I said...he may be right.

dude the boards are 50 times better than anything out there. it's just the website makes us broke. that's the only thing wrong. but seriously, nothing major goes on. we get an occasional wanker like mwl or denisdfat but life goes on.

CAG can always adapt a more Vault-style method. Certain boards have certain topics and are moderated to enforce on-topic posts, flames, etc. Then there are the general boards which get less moderation. Then there are the off-topic or 'friends' boards that have almost NO moderation.

I replied to 2 reposts and just nicely typed repost but thanks for trying. I haven't posted many deals. At least these guys are trying to help.

I'm glad this is being taken seriously. Hopefully we all can become a little nicer in the process. We make this board what it is. As long as we strive not to become GameFAQs then CAG is truly a better place for us all.
Ah utopia, isn't it lovely?

bread's done
Back