Cheapass flights?

Ziv_Zulander

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
I'm planning a trip to California and i'm looking for a way to get the cheapest flight possible. Do I try something like Orbitz or do I try the carrier directly? Is there promotions or something similar that I could do?

I don't plan on leaving until June 24th and I would be staying until July 8th. I'd be going from Nashville (Memphis, if cheaper) and arriving in Oakland.

Now is a bit early for any really good deals.

The best way I've found to save money on booking fees is to use orbitz or expedia and find a flight that's cheap and has flight times you can deal with then check the airlines page and see if they have it listed cheaper.

If you have some time to wait for a good price, and if southwest flies from your area they're a really good bet. So is Airtran. I get my flights everywhere between 200-240.

Get your tickets directly from the airline. I've never seen a fare-searching site with cheaper prices than if purchased through the airline themselves. Southwest and America West airlines are typically the cheapest if they travel between your destinations.

I think the deal is over, but I assume Jetblue always has periodic deals like what I did 2 weeks ago: San Jose, CA to JFK for $99 each way. So check them and other budget airlines (Southwest is another good one) sites.

When I went to Florida last year. I used Orbitz to find the fights, then went to the airlines website and booked them for about $30 cheaper.

Orbitz wanted $25 to send the tickets, where I could get e-tickets directly for Free!

If at all possible, fly out on a Wednesday or Thursday--I was doing some comparing between flights in March, and my final prices dropped (2 tickets) over $250 when I switched the ticket to Thursday instead of Friday.

[quote name='Plinko']If at all possible, fly out on a Wednesday or Thursday--I was doing some comparing between flights in March, and my final prices dropped (2 tickets) over $250 when I switched the ticket to Thursday instead of Friday.[/QUOTE]

Mmmmm...kind of a myth. Just to let you know most flying is NOT done on the weekends. Oh and whoever mentioned airtran, they are low priced because people still remember them by their old name. Anyone wanna take a guess at what that was?

I will give you a hint...their plane went down in the everglades due to an explosion caused by oxygen generators.

Wendy's and Airtrans had this promo for the past couple of months where you could get free flights by sending in coupons from Wendy's drink cups. 64 cups would get you a round trip flight to anywhere in the US. Alot of people just dug thru the Wendy's trash to get free (used) cups. I live in CA and none of the Wendy's here had the promo otherwise I would have been dumpster diving. I think the promo is over/run out but maybe they still have the cups at your Wendy's so I would check it out.

Yeah Airtran was started by the Valujet guys, but I hear that all of their planes are pretty new so maybe there's less of a chance of a crash now:)

[quote name='ofacto']Wendy's and Airtrans had this promo for the past couple of months where you could get free flights by sending in coupons from Wendy's drink cups. 64 cups would get you a round trip flight to anywhere in the US. Alot of people just dug thru the Wendy's trash to get free (used) cups. I live in CA and none of the Wendy's here had the promo otherwise I would have been dumpster diving. I think the promo is over/run out but maybe they still have the cups at your Wendy's so I would check it out.

Yeah Airtran was started by the Valujet guys, but I hear that all of their planes are pretty new so maybe there's less of a chance of a crash now:)[/QUOTE]

No they actually fly shitty Boeing 717s (mostly), (Which is a pretty much an MD88 or Dc9(?)) Airtran is pretty much a crappy airline. Of course I can say bad things about most of the airlines. Like if you fly comair (which you won't buy a ticket for they pretty much just run flights for other companies) your plane is almost sure to break down for at least an hour on the tarmac.

You can argue everything I say, but I believe working at an airport gives me just a little more advantage to see these airlines for what they really are.

[quote name='MikeMirage']No they actually fly shitty Boeing 717s (mostly), (Which is a pretty much an MD88 or Dc9(?)) Airtran is pretty much a crappy airline. Of course I can say bad things about most of the airlines. Like if you fly comair (which you won't buy a ticket for they pretty much just run flights for other companies) your plane is almost sure to break down for at least an hour on the tarmac.

You can argue everything I say, but I believe working at an airport gives me just a little more advantage to see these airlines for what they really are.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what the article I read said "new" Boeing 717s, didn't know that they were so crappy as I have never flown on Airtran (they don't have many flights out of LA), but I guess the logic is that newly manufactured planes should have less problems, than planes which have been in service for 20 or more years.

[quote name='ofacto']Yeah that's what the article I read said "new" Boeing 717s, didn't know that they were so crappy as I have never flown on Airtran (they don't have many flights out of LA), but I guess the logic is that newly manufactured planes should have less problems, than planes which have been in service for 20 or more years.[/QUOTE]

As far as I have seen, AirTran doesn't have very many new planes. Most of their planes are older boeing 717s. Also, they use practices that wear down on the engine more heavily and can cause problems. These practices are not used by other airlines due to the face that they can cause problems (as well as being pretty unsafe to ramp agents), but hey it is your choice!

catapult-708047.gif

http://www.kayak.com/ will search through all websites/airlines for prices. You can also have them email you if there is a really good deal right than, as good airline deals are usually random and last a couple hours. Very convenient so you don't have to do much searching.

[quote name='MikeMirage']No they actually fly shitty Boeing 717s (mostly), (Which is a pretty much an MD88 or Dc9(?)) Airtran is pretty much a crappy airline. Of course I can say bad things about most of the airlines. Like if you fly comair (which you won't buy a ticket for they pretty much just run flights for other companies) your plane is almost sure to break down for at least an hour on the tarmac.

You can argue everything I say, but I believe working at an airport gives me just a little more advantage to see these airlines for what they really are.[/quote]

What he said....I would drive before flying ATA again

I always use Expedia.com to book, it works very well and the price seems to be a lot better than other major services, I only fly major airlines though, I don't want to chance anything regardless of a deal if there is a lower budget airline.

I use Hotwire and the carriers website, just keep checking until you find a good price or decide that you have to buy the tickets.

bread's done
Back