gametesterguide.com - Is it a scam or worth it?

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
http://www.gametesterguide.com/

Basicly I was wondering if this site is reputable or not. I am almost absolutly sure it's not worth it/a scam, but I'd love to do game testing, no matter how boring it can get.

If anyone can pull up some info or whatever for me and lmk

plus, I don't know if this is in the right forum... my bad if so...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']http://www.gametesterguide.com/

Basicly I was wondering if this site is reputable or not. I am almost absolutly sure it's not worth it/a scam, but I'd love to do game testing, no matter how boring it can get.

If anyone can pull up some info or whatever for me and lmk

plus, I don't know if this is in the right forum... my bad if so...[/QUOTE]

I dunno, anything that seems too good to be true probably is.
I'm also wary of the $35 registration fee...

It's most likely a scam. VG testing would be preferred to be in-house so the developers can correct the bugs right away. To my knowledge, the average VG hourly pay is about $10. There are other testing companies that pay more but not for VG's.

EDIT: I did a quick google search and ther was only two links to the comapny "WTJ Research" supposedly the company he works for. It's the same link originally posted. Also if VG testing was this easy and lucrative, they would be everwhere.

[quote name='Psykodelik']It's most likely a scam. VG testing would be preferred to be in-house so the developers can correct the bugs right away. To my knowledge, the average VG hourly pay is about $10. There are other testing companies that pay more but not for VG's.

EDIT: I did a quick google search and ther was only two links to the comapny "WTJ Research". It's the same link originally posted.[/QUOTE]

yeah, like I said, I have little faith in it. It's just hard to find a testing job when living in florida... damn you california and western states!

There was another thread about this site I posted in.

The BBB has never heard of WTJ Research Inc. Not to mention the shitty design. Most compaines that are on the web take that kind of thing seriously.

As someone who did game testing, I say this is 100% bullshit. You'd never make 60 someodd dollars an hour. Companies test mainly in house and for about 9-10 bucks an hour, usually on a temp basis. Dont trust this.

Yep that was my thread. (Congrats Webscud on winning the Namco Game Pack, yay! Looks like I won one too.).

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83800

Doing some searches on it, I mainly get lots of results of that site offering affiliate payouts (or results of people in forums asking, "is this site legit?" like me with no real answers given). This one site even used GameTesterGuide.com as an example of filling out affiliate user forms http://www.affiliatecashcow.net It also says,

Get Paid to Play Video Games - Normally $34.95 - Yours FREE -

However the registration price is $47

[quote name='WebScud']There was another thread about this site I posted in.

The BBB has never heard of WTJ Research Inc. Not to mention the shitty design. Most compaines that are on the web take that kind of thing seriously.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know this site is actually posted as an ad on here until just seeing it now. Maybe cheapy knows more than we do about it?

Yeah, that's what I was saying on my thread. The banner shows up on CAG all the time. Its even here right now at the top of my reply here.

[quote name='danny-o']I didnt know this site is actually posted as an ad on here until just seeing it now. Maybe cheapy knows more than we do about it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='banpeikun']I get it all the time too. Right now I'm getting "Who's Watching Your Kids: Click to Locate Sex Predators in Your Area"[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there are any sexual predators on CAG.

"Hey kid! Get into my car....I have some copies of Rygar!"

But anyway. There was some ad on the site that had something that was fraudulent and I showed it to cheapy and he deleted it.

I just signed up for it with my credit card. There's a bunch of bullshit PDF's and a links to "get paid to take survey" sites. The free games thing just tells you to get bittorrent and download them illegally. The one thing that might have been good was the form that you fill out to apply to be a game tester. It looks like bullshit, but we'll see if I hear back from them. If I get a job offer, great, if it not, I'll get my money back.

I'll keep you guys updated.

You gave them your CC? And you joined this month? Either you're a fool and will soon be departed from your money, or you work for that site and will feed us lies about it working perfectly... But which one is it...

Yes, I gave them my CC, and yes, I just joined today; however, I'm not a fool, I don't work for that site, and I won't lose any money.

I'm not worried at all. The payment is processed by clickbank, which is a reputable company. I don't just give my credit card to anyone.

If I don't get an offer to test video games for pay, I will ask them for the refund, because I am not satisfied. I doubt I'll have trouble getting a refund, since it's clickbank handling the money, not the creator of the site. If I do have trouble getting a refund, I'll simply tell my bank to do a chargeback. That's why I always pay for things with credit cards - if you get ripped off, you can do a chareback.

[quote name='mach']Yes, I gave them my CC, and yes, I just joined today; however, I'm not a fool, I don't work for that site, and I won't lose any money.

I'm not worried at all. The payment is processed by clickbank, which is a reputable company. I don't just give my credit card to anyone.

If I don't get an offer to test video games for pay, I will ask them for the refund, because I am not satisfied. I doubt I'll have trouble getting a refund, since it's clickbank handling the money, not the creator of the site. If I do have trouble getting a refund, I'll simply tell my bank to do a chargeback. That's why I always pay for things with credit cards - if you get ripped off, you can do a chareback.[/QUOTE]

I still don't trust the site even if you can get your money back. Maybe you'll get to test some sucky game like Barney and Barbie teaching the ABCs.

i love how they worded all this bs and check out the sig on the check hahatableWorkaround(9)

We are so confident, That if you are unsatisfied for
any reason, then you will receive a FULL REFUND!

Did you Know?

• You don't need any formal education to be a video game tester.You can get paid $9 - $80 an hour being a video game tester and get to
    keep the games you test.Anyone can become a game tester, all that is required is that you are 15 or
    older to get paid to play games.You only need one video game system to become a video game tester.
  • You can work as much or as little as you want to.

Example of TESTING ASSIGNMENT - here is a video game
testing assignment that I completed back in June.

You might have seen other programs online saying "you can make $150 an hour
playing video games online".
Don't trust other programs for these reasons:

• They are Scams.They only explain ways to play Internet games, and win prizes, not to become
    a game tester for major video game developers.
  • They are not experts, I have been a video game tester for 4 years, I doubt that
    any of them have never even worked in the video game industry before.

Our companies will Pay You to Test Video Games for Them!

FAQ

How Much Can I Make?
You can Make anywhere around $9 to $80 an Hour, right now I make about $75 an Hour.

Why Would a Company to Pay Me?
Because your opinion on their Video Game is extremely important to them. You will be
telling them what you like about the game, and what you dislike about it, and to let them
know if there is anything wrong with the game. This information is crucial to them, to ensure
the successful release of the game.

How Much Can I Work a Week?
You can work as much or as little as you want. Just pick the jobs that you would like to
complete and they will either have you go into a local testing center, or they will send the
game to you.

When Do I Get Paid?
Normally, you get paid upon completion of an assignment. Usually, about once a week.

Are There any Requirements to Be a Game Tester and to get paid to play games?
There are no requirements. You just need to be 15 or over to get a Game Tester job.

Do I get to Keep the Games I Test?
Many companies allow you to keep the games you test. I have about a 300 XBOX game
library from all of the games I have tested.

"Remember, if you are unhappy for any reason, we will give
you a Full Refund! No Questions Asked.

Thank You so Much, I can't believe this actually worked. It took me only 5 Days to find a
game tester job and I am making around $23 per hour, its so exciting. Thanks Again.

Jane - Denver, CO

Hi, my name is Jordan. I am a Sophomore in High School at Jefferson High School, I just
wanted to say that you guys rock. I am only 15 and I got a game testing job with your help.
Thanks for all of the support.

Logan - Redlands, CA

I was skeptical at first, but the Game Tester Guide was so helpful. I recently got accepted
into a job at a game testing firm. I just completed my first assignment for $65. I can't wait
to get more assignments. Thanks for helping me.

Tim - Mankato, MN

Copyright 2005 GameTesterGuide.com All Rights Reserved

Normally $59.95
Today's Special Registration for Only $34.95
Lifetime Membership

See what People are saying about The Game Tester Guide:

This Opportunity will only be Available for a limited time,
Register Today for Only $34.95!
Lifetime Membership

FREE BONUS #1 ($35 Value)
Get Paid $8 - $150 an Hour to Take
Surveys Online. Free Lifetime
Membership.

FREE BONUS #2 ($35 Value)
Get Paid to Shop and get to
keep the purchases that you
make.

Cash-163x94.png

FREE BONUS #3 ($87 Value)
Buy Now and you will receive a
Lifetime Membership to the
Internet Millionaire. Make $1,000
a Week.

Click Here to go to the
Internet Millionaire

That is over $2,800 in FREE Bonuses!
for a Limited Time Only

Hello Alex, we have a new assignment for you. We are now in the testing stage of . We
need you to play the game for a total of 4 hours, 2 hour playing the single player campaign and
2 hours playing the multi-player function. Please make sure to play both the single player
campaign and multi-player function. After completion of your in game time, please respond to the
following questions...

eBooks You Will Receive

assignment257-688x295.jpg

assignment154375-656x269.jpg

Not only that, but those two checks are different sizes and whatnot. Just take a look at your own paychecks, they all look the same. Even my checks from when I started 3 years ago look the same, why would they show up on different sizes of paper. Nice hustle for this guy.

Yeah, complete BS. He might have information, but whatever info it is it'll be no different than those guides people sell on eBay, and definitely wouldn't be able to fufill the claims he's making.

A friend of mine tested for Nintendo of America here in Seattle, he got $10/hour as a temp and couldn't get a perm position. There are VERY few full time testers. It's more of something you get by knowing somebody -- his brother's a programmer. He did love the job though, for what it's worth.

He tested Mario Tennis. For three months.

[quote name='Koggit']
A friend of mine tested for Nintendo of America here in Seattle, he got $10/hour as a temp and couldn't get a perm position. There are VERY few full time testers. It's more of something you get by knowing somebody -- his brother's a programmer. He did love the job though, for what it's worth.
[/quote]

Exactly, a lot of game testing (outside of looking for bugs) involves bringing in a series of focus groups to discuss things like name, appearance, playability, etc.. In the case of Microsoft they select these people from a pool and the only way you're going to make $80 an hour is to resell the software they pay you in on ebay.

Also did you happen to notice how all the text reads the same? You'd think he'd be smart enough to write the letter or customer comments in a different style.

Wow, great news. I just got a mailed a beta version of STALKER for testing. SWEET!

Ok, back to reality. It's been two weeks since I signed up and no word. I'm going to call clickbank and ask for a full refund.

So, to answer the intial question of this thread: don't sign up for this site.

[quote name='mach']Wow, great news. I just got a mailed a beta version of STALKER for testing. SWEET!

Ok, back to reality. It's been two weeks since I signed up and no word. I'm going to call clickbank and ask for a full refund.

So, to answer the intial question of this thread: don't sign up for this site.[/quote]
i thought so.

Hey whats up guys i have also done some reseach into that site and i have money riding on it i am hoping it isent ascam but i am not dumb i know it happens so any info on it would help me at so heres a contract link mail em and see what u can dig up it would be greatly apperiated [email protected] i got off the site after u pay it says to ask questions there so hit em up me if you have the time and post back here thankx

Raven:hot:

[quote name='ravenex619']Hey whats up guys i have also done some reseach into that site and i have money riding on it i am hoping it isent ascam but i am not dumb i know it happens so any info on it would help me at so heres a contract link mail em and see what u can dig up it would be greatly apperiated [email protected] i got off the site after u pay it says to ask questions there so hit em up me if you have the time and post back here thankx

Raven:hot:[/quote]Let's get this guy hooked up with slidecage. Together they could form the "gramatically handicapped super squad!"

[quote name='Koggit']

He tested Mario Tennis. For three months.[/quote]

I did the same, it's not a bad job for someone in high school or something, but definately not career worthy (being temp and all).

Wario-ware for 2 straight weeks. It really turned me off to the game, which I'm sure is quite fun in small doses, but not for 40 hours a week. But hell, I got paid for playing video games, I shouldn't complain too much.

MTG:Online for 4 months was actually more enjoyable (more dynamic gameplay since its vs a person). Both with the same temp agency in Seattle. Definately not getting paid $60/hr+ for vid game testing. Most developers don't get that much.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Hi to everyone,

I've purchased that guide myself and I cant say I am totally disatisfied as I did not know anything about this domain and it gave me a great, fast look over it... I came across here doing some research for fun about the guide... I've bought it trough www.gametesterguide.net about 2 weeks ago the design was 1000% more well done that on the site you guys are talking about. Also I was referred by www.ps5.org which is a site about ps3 pre order notifications... I know these guys as they helped me to pre order my 360 box priorly on another site they had. That is the main reason trhat I decided to trust the guide. Anyway, I filled the form on their site, gone trough the PDF and applied for the jobs they suggested and I am now impatiently waiting to get a response :) If any of you guys got a game testing job from them or have any opinion to share with me I would apprecite to hear them...

Thanks and have a great day

Not to put anyone off, but I just found 2 minor reasons not to trust the site:
1: The above poster has posted the exact same advertising bullshit on several other message boards, I've checked.
2: That fresh layout he's talking about looks good and all, but if you check a little more thoroughly, you may find that there is one small difference in the text: THE PEOPLE SUPPOSEDLY TELLING HOW GOOD THE SITE IS HAVE CHANGED NAMES! INCLUDING THE SUPPOSED SITE CREATOR!
Too bad, everyone. And iMike or whatever? Or... should I call you ALEX LUM?
Get outta here, you're tricking noone.

First of all, think about the logistics of this. Game companies send preview copies of their games to random people who play it for a few hours and fill out a form? And these random folk never pirate the games, right? Completely void of logic.

And secondly, any internet job that requires you pay a fee before working is a SCAM. No legit company charges you for anything before you get a paycheck. Ever.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Common sense.

[quote name='ardent']I did the same, it's not a bad job for someone in high school or something, but definately not career worthy (being temp and all).

Wario-ware for 2 straight weeks. It really turned me off to the game, which I'm sure is quite fun in small doses, but not for 40 hours a week. But hell, I got paid for playing video games, I shouldn't complain too much.

MTG:Online for 4 months was actually more enjoyable (more dynamic gameplay since its vs a person). Both with the same temp agency in Seattle. Definately not getting paid $60/hr+ for vid game testing. Most developers don't get that much.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.[/quote]

Well, unless you're head of a QA department or of that project, and are the one conducting the UAT.
Those positions wouldn't be too bad for career... but those aren't temp jobs, and require quite a bit of formal training.

i still get amazed at how easily people get fooled... first, i'm willing to bet my left nut that something's a scam if you have to pay first. second, i used to program for a big gaming company and all the testing were done on company property (unless it was for a mmorpg). mailing a dev build to people? Wtf.

Well I found a link to gametestersguide on gamespot in the sponsors section. So that would lead me to believe that it is legit?

Idk it was one of those things were it alternates when you look at game articles. Maybe someone should email gamespot?

Read the disclaimer

- The Game Tester Guide is not a Job, but rather a guide that will provide the
purchasee with helpful information on gametesting positions, as well as other
useful information.

So this is an eBook that probably lists several companies (all far away from you I'm sure) that do gametesting. The rest of the site looks like crap, and that gametester form is just funny. Asking customers what age they feel the game appeals to... would be piss poor consumer research to not know that info prior to develoment don't ya think???

here's my favorite comment, from one of the above-listed links:

"It's a scam folks, don't waste your money. read the comments from the so-called testers on his page. The last one is a kid from Redlands, CA stating he is 15 and went to Jefferson High School. I just called the Redlands school board, there is no high school with that name in their, or surrounding districts."

Nice.

I registered just to say thanks to all of you that left your responses in this thread. I saw the ad from one of many sites I regularly browse. Even though I suspected it was a scam, I wasn't totally sure. Now, I am enlightened. Thanks!

Alas my dream job remains a dream, plus i'm in australia. No one wants to give ole' gutsoup a job in the industry. Let's organise a lynch mob to go get old mate McScammers, because for that brief moment when i looked at that site i thought i'd found my calling.

[quote name='Gutsoup']Alas my dream job remains a dream, plus i'm in australia. No one wants to give ole' gutsoup a job in the industry. Let's organise a lynch mob to go get old mate McScammers, because for that brief moment when i looked at that site i thought i'd found my calling.[/QUOTE]

No offense, why is is that newbies on the site often have this weird attraction to finding ancient threads and bumping them for no reason?

PS, being a game tester isn't actually that fun, many say.

bread's done
Back