CheapyD Visits the Xbox 360 Lounge and Harajuku

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Better late than never!

Imagine my suprise when Mrs. Cheapy suggested we hit up The Xbox 360 Lounge this weekend. It was part of a trip to Harajuku, which is one of Tokyo's trendy shopping districts, as well as home to their goth/cosplay scene. The 360 lounge is closing on February 12th, so we just made it before Microsoft closes its doors.

Click images for larger size

Harajuku - More pictures from Google Images

Exterior of Xbox 360 Lounge

The couches appear on your left when you first enter the Lounge. DOA4 (with 2 Hori sticks) and Ninety-Nine Nights were playable. A table in the back left corner is setup with free internet access. The standing kiosks had playable versions of Wrestle Kingdom, NBA Live 2006, Kameo, Ninety-Nine Nights, Project Gotham Racing 3, and 2 with [eM] -eNCHANT arM-. Check out the giant 360 Guide button protruding from the ceiling.

You can see the the bar area here which is where we ordered up a 360 Cake (420¥) & 360 Yogurt Drink (360[size=-1]¥[/size]), which was Kiwi flavored. Like almost every food I've had in Japan, they were quite good.
I took home two of those 360 coasters ;)

Of course there were a few Xbox 360 related items available for sale. They had coffee cups, pins, t-shirts and mousepads, none of which were very interesting.

There were many custom faceplates on display. I didn't photograph all of them, but here are the highlights. After I took the group faceplate photo, the hostess told Mrs. Cheapy that photographs were not allowed. Luckily, I was already finished with my pictures, so I just smiled and said sumimasen (excuse me) as I hit the save button on my phone camera and walked out the door.

As you can see, the 360 Lounge is a pretty cool place. I guess if I have two complaints it would be:
1) Not enough kiosks
2) No merchandise worth buying

What'd you think of Harajuku? I couldn't believe the ammount of crepes stores that were in that area. I guess it's the trendy food down in that section of Tokyo. Didn't try any crepes. Should of but went with Coco Curry House instead.

They're closing that place down huh? I thought it was part of Microsoft's strategy to get more Japanese people interested in the 360? I guess since the system took a big old belly flop they figured they'd close up shop. I wonder what will happen to all that stuff. I can just imagine J. Allerd putting that guide button in his house.

Not enough consoles in the lounge? In Japan? Who are they trying to kid?

I kinda want that faceplate with the silver studs and heart on it.. my girlfriend's getting a 360 soon (all because of hexic) and she wants something like that.

I definately want that 360 mousepad.

[quote name='thorbahn3']They're closing that place down huh? I thought it was part of Microsoft's strategy to get more Japanese people interested in the 360? I guess since the system took a big old belly flop they figured they'd close up shop. I wonder what will happen to all that stuff. I can just imagine J. Allerd putting that guide button in his house.[/QUOTE]
It was only temporary in the first place... They actually kept it open longer than they planned originally.

After I took the group faceplate photo, the hostess told Mrs. Cheapy that photographs were not allowed. Luckily, I was already finished with my pictures, so I just smiled and said sumimasen (excuse me) as I hit the save button on my phone camera and walked out the door.

Obviously, Microsoft wants no photo evidence that this Japan debacle ever existed. :)

Wow...that cake looks pretty good. How big is the "lounge" compared to the Nintendo store in NYC CheayD? Which one did you like better?

[quote name='maxg']What'd you think of Harajuku? I couldn't believe the ammount of crepes stores that were in that area. I guess it's the trendy food down in that section of Tokyo. Didn't try any crepes. Should of but went with Coco Curry House instead.[/QUOTE]
Harajuku is pretty cool, but I am not really into trendy clothing stores. Plus, it was pretty cold that day. No, we didn't have any crepes, but I have been to CoCo Ichiban many times!

[quote name='Scorch']I definately want that 360 mousepad.[/QUOTE]The mousepad kind of sucked. It had some kind of clear gel inside with "floating" 360 logos, so it wasn't completely flat. I don't think it would make for a quality mousepad.

[quote name='ananag112']Wow...that cake looks pretty good. How big is the "lounge" compared to the Nintendo store in NYC CheayD? Which one did you like better?[/QUOTE]Yes, the cake was pretty good!
I prefer the Nintendo Store. Not only is the store physically bigger (with more playable kiosks), when the weather is nice Nintendo has events outside in Rockefeller Center. Also, there is a much wider selection of merchandise available in the Nintendo Store (many of which is reasonably priced). I guess the only thing the Nintendo Store is lacking is food and drink service (although they do have Nintendo bottled watter).

[quote name='CheapyD']
I prefer the Nintendo Store. Not only is the store physically bigger (with more playable kiosks), when the weather is nice Nintendo has events outside in Rockefeller Center. Also, there is a much wider selection of merchandise available in the Nintendo Store (many of which is reasonably priced). I guess the only thing the Nintendo Store is lacking is food and drink service (although they do have Nintendo bottled watter).[/QUOTE]

speaking of outdoor events at the nintendo store, here is a couple pics of my friend getting excited while meeting mario and luigi

mandlgroup7wa.jpg

Yes, the cake was pretty good!
I prefer the Nintendo Store. Not only is the store physically bigger (with more playable kiosks), when the weather is nice Nintendo has events outside in Rockefeller Center. Also, there is a much wider selection of merchandise available in the Nintendo Store (many of which is reasonably priced). I guess the only thing the Nintendo Store is lacking is food and drink service (although they do have Nintendo bottled watter).

I bought the Nintendo water bottle the last time I was there.

I thought the Nintendo store was pretty small. From pictures I saw, I thought this place was bigger. Maybe its just because I always skip the Pokemon place and go directly up to play the GameCube games?

Some pretty cool stuff there Cheapy, too bad there shutting it down. I guess you can't say that Microsoft didn't put any effort into the Japanese 360 launch.

[quote name='ananag112']I bought the Nintendo water bottle the last time I was there.

I thought the Nintendo store was pretty small. From pictures I saw, I thought this place was bigger. Maybe its just because I always skip the Pokemon place and go directly up to play the GameCube games?[/QUOTE]

The downstairs at the Nintendo Store is not just Pokemon, they have a GBA and DS area too.

I like how the sit-down stations have Pioneer plasma TVs whereas the stand-up kiosks have Samsung LCD TVs with the bezel covered up.

The Hori sticks for DOA4 are a nice touch as well.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']speaking of outdoor events at the nintendo store, here is a couple pics of my friend getting excited while meeting mario and luigi

mandlgroup7wa.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for you to post those eventually !!!!

Why in every pic cheapy takes there people looking like what is this giant American doing. :lol: Look at the pic of the 360 lounge door. You can see women looking at him like wtf.

[quote name='Graystone']Why in every pic cheapy takes there people looking like what is this giant American doing. :lol: Look at the pic of the 360 lounge door. You can see women looking at him like wtf.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Maybe CheapyD should get shirts made that say "I mean you no harm" in Japanese.

[quote name='Graystone']Why in every pic cheapy takes there people looking like what is this giant American doing. :lol: Look at the pic of the 360 lounge door. You can see women looking at him like wtf.[/QUOTE]Welcome to my world.

[quote name='Scorch']Not enough consoles in the lounge? In Japan? Who are they trying to kid?

I kinda want that faceplate with the silver studs and heart on it.. my girlfriend's getting a 360 soon (all because of hexic) and she wants something like that.[/QUOTE]

Cross your fingers and hope she doesnt realize that she's paying 400 dollars for something she can play for free on MSN games.

http://zone.msn.com/en/hexic/game.htm

bread's done
Back