Turning Un-Japanese - article

nwaugh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I know this isn't strictly video game news, but given how much Japanese culture is discussed and celebrated here (and how much Japanese culture has affected the course of the video game industry), I thought this sort of commentary might be relevant. If I'm wrong, feel free to move it to the correct forum (Lifestyle? Your Man in Japan?)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11182591/site/newsweek

In brief: it's an interesting (though shallow) look at how traditional Japanese culture is being diluted by Western culture.

Meh - it's nothing really new. A phenomena brought on by cultural imperialism and globalization are leading towards a homogenization of cultures around the world.

Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, really. But still, there will always be aspects of culture that will remain unique no matter what other countries are doing. And one should take the kind of cultural shift that occurs in the city and superimpose it on the rural areas, since those two walks of life are often extremely different.

And I think you're right in this belonging more in Life-Style/OT forum.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']God forbid Japan break away from their (quite disgusting) traditions.[/QUOTE]

And what traditions, pray tell, are you referring to?

You'd think CheapyD would disable topic creation for regular members, seeing how we're not supposed to do it. Unless I'm missing something...

But yeah, interesting article.

[quote name='AFStealth']You'd think CheapyD would disable topic creation for regular members, seeing how we're not supposed to do it. Unless I'm missing something...[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're missing the first post, where he says he didn't know where to post it and suggested it be moved here? Because it was moved here since we can't create threads in this forum.

I'd like to hear Cheapy's two cents on the article since he's living there.

[quote name='Ecofreak']And what traditions, pray tell, are you referring to?[/QUOTE]
To name a few
Views on Women - As being subordinate. Glass Ceilings galore. They're expected to only work until they marry and have a child.

Views on other races, such as the Burakumin which are a group that are descriminated against to the extreme. There are actual lists of people and their children, so that families of "normal" Japanese people don't intermarry with them. Chinese and Koreans are both similarily descriminated against. Read about the Rape of Nanking to also get a better view of traditional Japanese racism. Gaijin is also quite a bit more disparaging than people give it credit for.

Views on social hierarchy. In a traditional Japanese setting, if you didn't bow far enough to an elder, you'd get your head chopped off. THere's still this adherence to the notion that elders rule over all (regardless of how bonkers they might be). That's why Nintendo and Sony are both run by old men that may or may not be senile.

THere are plenty of other screwy things that go on with Japanese culture. I'm not so sure why people are so enamored with it. That being said, I don't care if it's "westernization" or whatever difference there is in a culture, but sticking to tradition is stupid in most cases. The world changes and there's no reason to stick to inferior, or bad ways simply for the sake of tradition.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']To name a few
Views on Women - As being subordinate. Glass Ceilings galore. They're expected to only work until they marry and have a child.

Views on other races, such as the Burakumin which are a group that are descriminated against to the extreme. There are actual lists of people and their children, so that families of "normal" Japanese people don't intermarry with them. Chinese and Koreans are both similarily descriminated against. Read about the Rape of Nanking to also get a better view of traditional Japanese racism. Gaijin is also quite a bit more disparaging than people give it credit for.

Views on social hierarchy. In a traditional Japanese setting, if you didn't bow far enough to an elder, you'd get your head chopped off. THere's still this adherence to the notion that elders rule over all (regardless of how bonkers they might be). That's why Nintendo and Sony are both run by old men that may or may not be senile.

THere are plenty of other screwy things that go on with Japanese culture. I'm not so sure why people are so enamored with it. That being said, I don't care if it's "westernization" or whatever difference there is in a culture, but sticking to tradition is stupid in most cases. The world changes and there's no reason to stick to inferior, or bad ways simply for the sake of tradition.[/QUOTE]

caste systems, strict gestures, cultures clinging to their purity and respect for elders are things that are commonly east asian, not just japanese. a u.s. view might consider it discriminating, sexist, harsh or arbitrary, but that's because we aren't backed by 1000s of years of culture, so we don't understand (nor are we expected to.) on marriage, the idea was that the woman's job was to take care of the house and the man worked as much as he could to keep the family well off, kinda like a companionate family here, but more ridgid. from what I understand, their jobs were separated for maximum family stability. that's changing though-- more women are moving out, getting jobs, marrying later etc.

but it's not as awful as you say it is...there are better things to target- like tentacle rape and panty vending machines.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']I just wanted to remind you that you're on my ignore list, just in case you responded to me.[/QUOTE]

thanks. you actually received an intelligent response, but since you can't see it, or this one, I'd like to remind everyone how petty the whole "ignore list" thing is. :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']thanks. you actually received an intelligent response, but since you can't see it, or this one, I'd like to remind everyone how petty the whole "ignore list" thing is. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Now he can read it anyways. :D

I fully support the United States' cultural imperialim. You don't take over a country with bombs and troops, you do it with McDonald's and Britney Spears!

[quote name='evanft']I fully support the United States' cultural imperialim. You don't take over a country with bombs and troops, you do it with McDonald's and Britney Spears![/QUOTE]

Or in Commander Perry's case, with large ships and the ultimatum of letting Western culture into your country or dying. That worked well.

[quote name='megabadd']Or in Commander Perry's case, with large ships and the ultimatum of letting Western culture into your country or dying. That worked well.[/QUOTE]
He was a Commodore. Way different from a Commander.

i, for one, support the belief of women being subordinates. at least they treat theyre men with respect. over here, we have a bunch of spoiled ass princesses who skank around.

[quote name='thagoat']i, for one, support the belief of women being subordinates. at least they treat theyre men with respect. over here, we have a bunch of spoiled ass princesses who skank around.[/QUOTE]

I take it a step further. I like treating them like property. Like most of the electronics in my house, women work better when I hit them. :boxing:

After reading the article and discussing it with Mrs. Cheapy, we've come to the conclusion that this article is kind of pointless.

I bet you could substitute "Japan" with most any country and say that particular country is becoming dilulted by other cultures. This is what happens with advances in communication and technology.

[quote name='thagoat']i, for one, support the belief of women being subordinates. at least they treat theyre men with respect. over here, we have a bunch of spoiled ass princesses who skank around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm sure you'd love a man telling you what to do whenever.

That's SO wrong Mario. I always thought you were a chick till I read some of your responses.

Some aspects of Japans culture is essentially out of date with the Modern world.......just like it was here in the States in the 60's and 70's, change takes time. Mostly as long as it takes for the old, bitter generation to die off :)

Japan is just leaving behind some of its more caste-based socital notions, and replacing them with Westernized concepts.....the people who bemoan the change are usually male (those who benefit from keeping the status quo) and those who are elderly (who believe that change is bad). Some of those changes..well...not-so-good, but some not-so-bad.

And yet we still get stuff like this making the papers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060207/od_nm/japan_maids_dc

Nice to see the influence that G-Taste is having on Japanese Society :)

[quote name='CheapyD']I bet you could substitute "Japan" with most any country and say that particular country is becoming dilulted by other cultures. This is what happens with advances in communication and technology.[/QUOTE]

In a lot of cases (especially in the South Pacific), sure. Probably not as many western cultures, though. I feel like most cultures in the west were either less isolationist than Japan or simply not as old.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I take it a step further. I like treating them like property. Like most of the electronics in my house, women work better when I hit them. :boxing:[/QUOTE]
This is epic. Wrong, but epic.

[quote name='nwaugh']In a lot of cases (especially in the South Pacific), sure. Probably not as many western cultures, though. I feel like most cultures in the west were either less isolationist than Japan or simply not as old.[/QUOTE]
Japanese culture is quite young compared to many other cultures. Japanese culture is also a Hodge Podge of surrounding countries (most notably, CHinese influences, but also Korean and others). What seems to separate Japanese culture is the sense of "honor". Even then, their sense of honor is quite bizarre, as it seemed to be treated almost like a commodity that could be traded, bought, sold, etc.

While the patriarchy of Japan isn't exactly uncommon throughout the world, the thing that separates Japan's patriarchy from the rest of the world is that the older you get, the more respect you automatically get. Regardless of accomplishments, an elder demands more respect than a younger person. I can't really think of another culture where age is a sole determinant of respect. Typically, it's experience or merit that garnered respect.

Both of these seemingly bizarre and outdated traditions still play a large role in current day Japanese culture.

Same thing happens everywhere. I went to India 2 years back to see my cousins (I go there around once every two-three years) and I was amazed how "American" India is now. My cousins go to Pizza Hut, TGIFridays, and other "American" food stores. They play the latest computer games and use the computer a lot. They wear Tommy Hilfiger, Ecko, and other "american" clothing as well. The entire world is becoming like America for better or for worse.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Japanese culture is quite young compared to many other cultures. Japanese culture is also a Hodge Podge of surrounding countries (most notably, CHinese influences, but also Korean and others). What seems to separate Japanese culture is the sense of "honor". Even then, their sense of honor is quite bizarre, as it seemed to be treated almost like a commodity that could be traded, bought, sold, etc.

While the patriarchy of Japan isn't exactly uncommon throughout the world, the thing that separates Japan's patriarchy from the rest of the world is that the older you get, the more respect you automatically get. Regardless of accomplishments, an elder demands more respect than a younger person. I can't really think of another culture where age is a sole determinant of respect. Typically, it's experience or merit that garnered respect.

Both of these seemingly bizarre and outdated traditions still play a large role in current day Japanese culture.[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean modern Japanese culture, becasue I'm curious as to how a country with a history of roughly 30,000 years since settlers first appeared has a very young culture. Even if you look at the fact that they really didn't keep historical records or documents in writing until the 5th century or so that's still not very young for looking to a country's culture (perhaps compared to some eastern cultures though). Also the idea of honor is not something bizarre only to be found in Japanese culture (though it may be the only one that kept it so much into modern times). Chivalry was a Europeon cultural ideal that was an honor code, and was often dealt with as a commodity in the eyes of some (I dunno that this was done in anceint Japan that much either).Ithough as the saying goes it's now dead and died a couple hundred years ago probably. Also I think you overestimate the respect for the elders thing, while as a cultrual ideal it's big (they even have a holiday, now that's bizarre), in reality it's also dwindling. Japan has had a growing homeless problem for about 4 or 5 years now, the majority of which are 50+ years old IIRC.

[quote name='Snake2715']capitalist_mao,

What is it that you do for work?[/QUOTE]
Last year of college, therefore, no work.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I assume you mean modern Japanese culture, becasue I'm curious as to how a country with a history of roughly 30,000 years since settlers first appeared has a very young culture. Even if you look at the fact that they really didn't keep historical records or documents in writing until the 5th century or so that's still not very young for looking to a country's culture (perhaps compared to some eastern cultures though). Also the idea of honor is not something bizarre only to be found in Japanese culture (though it may be the only one that kept it so much into modern times). Chivalry was a Europeon cultural ideal that was an honor code, and was often dealt with as a commodity in the eyes of some (I dunno that this was done in anceint Japan that much either).Ithough as the saying goes it's now dead and died a couple hundred years ago probably. Also I think you overestimate the respect for the elders thing, while as a cultrual ideal it's big (they even have a holiday, now that's bizarre), in reality it's also dwindling. Japan has had a growing homeless problem for about 4 or 5 years now, the majority of which are 50+ years old IIRC.[/QUOTE]
30k years ago? I looked it up. 25000BC was when cavemen appeared. Any culture that appeared that long ago certainly was swallowed up as science, culture and religion evolved. That's like attributing any culture that appeared at that time to current day residence. I'm sure that a lot of Arab Iraqis don't particularly identify with Mesopotamia, nor does a lot of the Middle East particularly identify with the Jews of ~4000BC.

So, yes, Japanese culture that I refered to was modern, insofar that the past 500 or so years isn't particularly ancient. That being said, Japanese culture is still HEAVILY borrowed from surrounding countries, like China. Honor, by itself, isn't exactly bunk (we see it in Rome, Germanic tribes, England, etc). HOweverl, Buying, selling and trading honor IS weird (which is why I made references to a veritable bartering system of trade).

bread's done
Back