Xbox Live Arcade games paid for not working offline(REASON FOUND)

AshesofWake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
So my 360 wasn't plugged into the internet the other day, I turn it on to play some Geometry Wars, and it gives me the menu to the demo version. I'm like wtf? i purchased it. So I restart my 360 and such, and still it gives me the same menu, as does it give me the same menu for Bejeweled 2 and Gauntlet(all 3 games i've purchased through the market place). So i realized my 360 was disconnected, so I connected it to the internet, and they all work now, it's the normal versions. Now does this happen to everybody? or is it just me? Because I find this a HUGE pain in the ass if i have to be connected online to play my arcade games everytime. Over winter break I took my 360 home (at college right now) and i could play the full versions of geo wars and all those at home. I don't have high speed at home. But now since the last update it seems like I have to be connected online to play the full versions of arcade games. If this is how it is from now on, I won't be buying anymore arcade games, it seems pointless.

I remember a thread about this, I think, a few weeks ago can't find it right now. But anybody have the same problem, cuz I personally think this is bullshit.

I made that thread, it happened to me and another cag, so its a widespread problem most likely...problem, or maybe it happens to everyone else, can anyone else who has Geo wars vouch for this.

I haven't had any issues with any of mine .. so far I have bought gauntlet, geo wars, smash tv, marble blast , hearts and spades. They always show as full version wether I am connected or not. Have you tried reinstalling them ?

[quote name='AshesofWake']^^^ hey that might actually work, ill try downloading them again...[/QUOTE]

Since the purchase of the game is tied to your gamertag, you shouldnt have any issue deleting the game then reinstalling it. Maybe there was just a glitch that occurs during the download that causes it. No idea for sure though since it hasn't happened to me yet. Good luck and hope you figure it out!

well, when i had that problem, i tried just about everything including deleting and re-downloading and it didn't work. hopefully you'll ave better luck OP. it really is a stupid and frustrating glitch. they should've taken more time to fix the bugs in these systems.

Well, at least you CAN get on LIVE. I cannot get on at all. I got my refurb XBOX back, and now my LIVE is not working. It's a KNOWN problem and there is a thread already here. Just be glad you don't have that issue.

Thats to bad about your live arcade online/offline problem...I haven't had that issue, so hopefully the reinstall will work.

im honestly thinking about selling my 360 because of this, it's complete total bullshit. Anybody here call microsoft or email them about this problem? Im about to do it, just wanted to know about some feedback. This ruins the complete experience for me. I'm not going to be fortunate enough to have high speed in the long run or at any time I take my 360 somewhere. fuck...

ok i found the reason for this non-glitch it's a security feature:

Usage Restrictions when you downloaded the Xbox Live Arcade game*: The item you are trying to download is subject to use restrictions. You can use this item on the first Xbox 360 console that you used to download it. Access to this item will also be granted to all users on this first console. If you transfer the item using a memory unit or other storage device, you will also be able to use it on Xbox 360 consoles, but you'll need to sign in to Xbox Live with your Xbox Live account on that console before accessing the item.

Xbox Live still ties downloaded content to the first console it was downloaded to like the Xbox 1 did. However, with the Xbox 360 you can "move" this content from console to console as long as you are logged into Xbox Live on the other console to verify ownership. It's something people requested for the first console that is able to be done for the Xbox 360.

Therefore, you will not be able to play your purchased games offline on a console that was not the original unit without being signed into Xbox Live.

You both will need to contact us again at 1-800-469-9269 for additional suggestions and help.

* Please be sure to always read over the Usage Restrictions in the menu selection before you choose to purchase the Marketplace content.

more info found here: http://forums.xbox.com/1159815/ShowPost.aspx

I find this to be complete bullshit on what MS is doing. I had to send in my 360 because it died on me and now I can't play XBLA games offline because of a stupid ass security feature. Total, complete bullshit. I'm gonna look into selling my 360 now because of this. I can't believe this shit.

Does anyone even play 360 while not connected to the 'net? You're going to sell the 360 because you can't play some flash-based shooter or some "free on the internet" puzzle game?

Though that does kinda suck.

im just really pissed off right now, and yes there are people that play their 360's offline, me especially at certain times. I mean in the future the XBLA will grow, and that is one of the selling points for me. If i can't access games i've paid for with my money, i think it's total bullshit. Just think how you would feel if you paid for a video game and you couldnt play it because your internet went down or something. Or if you go to someone's house to play some XBLA games but they don't have high speed. or some shit like that i dunno. All im saying it's bull and im pissed right now. I'm looking through that thread right now and there SEEMS to be a solution, but itll cost money.

[quote name='AshesofWake']I find this to be complete bullshit on what MS is doing. I had to send in my 360 because it died on me and now I can't play XBLA games offline because of a stupid ass security feature. Total, complete bullshit. I'm gonna look into selling my 360 now because of this. I can't believe this shit.[/QUOTE]

Actually, before you do that, why not give MS a call and whatnot regarding the issue? At best they may be able to help out with the problem and fix it in your favor (and possibly even then some for all of your frustration) and, at worst, you just end up tossing the system off onto someone else. A phone call may be able to clear most of this up if they want to be helpful...

[quote name='AshesofWake']I mean in the future the XBLA will grow, and that is one of the selling points for me. If i can't access games i've paid for with my money, i think it's total bullshit. Just think how you would feel if you paid for a video game and you couldnt play it because your internet went down or something.[/QUOTE]

If you want to play them so bad, why not take the 2 or 3 seconds of effort behind plugging your console into your modem?

I don't think you want to play them offline that damn bad. I think you just want something to complain about. :x

they give this fix in that thread:

Just to give an update to this issue.

For those of you affected by this issue due to a previous console repair, we will need you to follow the below steps to use previously purchased content offline.

* Create a free Xbox Live Silver account or use another Xbox Live enabled account on your Xbox 360 console.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/silverage.html
* Contact Xbox Customer Care to have us credit your new or existing second Xbox Live account with the appropriate points.
* For further details, please contact us at 1-800-469-9269 or feel free to send me a PM. Please understand that not all agents will be immediately aware of this change, but your issue will be promptly handled if escalated.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

but i think it's still bullshit...i don't want to beat around the bush to fix this "security" feature. I'll call them, im just a little pumped and pissed off right now, I just can't believe this shit at all....

[quote name='Brak']If you want to play them so bad, why not take the 2 or 3 seconds of effort behind plugging your console into your modem?

I don't think you want to play them offline that damn bad. I think you just want something to complain about. :x[/QUOTE]

oh please..i love my 360, i want nothing to complain about. First of all right now im at a campus apartment, we have high speed, at home when i go back during the summer and maybe even after that, we don't have access to high speed. So basically im throwing my money away right now so that later on when im unable to connect online, I can just play the trial versions of GAMES I HAVE PAID FOR. so stfu if you think i just want to complain, because i don't. My 360 died a few weeks ago, i didn't bitch at all. I had problems connecting to LIVE for a good week, I didn't complain at all. My console froze like crazy for a week before it died. I lived with it, I didn't complain at all. I just think I should be able to enjoy the crap I PAID FOR no matter if im online or not. And this is not because of me taking my hard drive to a friends house and downloading the content there(because I never did that), it's because I had to send in the xbox 360 I camped out for 8 hours for and getting a refurbished one back with a different Serial number. And now I have to pay the price for this bull. I didn't have to deal with this before I sent it in. And now I do, and for no good reason. so fuck off.

Okay.

IT'S NOT A BIG fuckIN' DEAL. Seriously. I highly doubt there's anyone bringing a 360 to a friend's house that doesn't have broadband to play some Geometry Wars. If anything, it'll be an afterthought. "Hey! Check out this game! Oh, it says I can't play it. Oh well. Back to Perfect Dark?"

Chill. Basically you just have to call Microsoft and have them transfer your paid content from the old XBOX to the new XBOX. You might get a dumbass on the line so if they don't know what they are talking about, ask for someone else.

XBOX1 was the same exact way - if you bought content off Live and your XBOX broke, you had to call MS for them to transfer it over to your new XBOX.

This is one good reason to have the MS warranty. If your XBOX breaks and they send you a new XBOX instead of fixing yours, they have a record that it was them who sent you a new XBOX and hence them who needs to make the content work on the new XBOX.

It makes sense as a security feature though... XBLA wouldn't thrive if every game that came out had one person buying it and passing around a memory card to a dozen friends. It sounds from the info you posted that you shouldn't have problems with future games, it's just the fact that you DL'd your current ones on a different 360 than the one you own. And it is called LIVE Arcade... the point was kinda the interaction, leaderboards, etc... I can't think I'd care that much about my high Geo Wars score if I couldn't compare it anyone else's.

i think the biggest reason you're not seeing a lot of sympathy here is partly becuase it sounds like you didn't fully look into this or contact MS before going off about it here, and partly because the fix (pluggin in your ethernet) is so simple. Did you ever call and get any feedback from MS?

I understand it makes sense as a security feature and all, but if anybody read through the Xbox forum thread, which i doubt many of you did, youll see people calling and getting no where. Im going to call monday when I have my 360 in front of me, cuz I don't right now. What seems appropriate is that MS should have somehow updated their systems to the 360 they sent me, that way I wouldn't have this problem, and many others wouldn't have this problem as well. And just because it's easy for your guys to have access to high speed whenever you feel like it, doesn't mean everyone else has that luxury. These games shouldn't require to be connected online.

This isn't World of Warcraft. I honestly think to prevent people from going in or something, have it physically locked to the Gamertag, kind of how like Steam works. Suppose I take my gamertag to a friends house and download "full" versions, they would have to be logged into my Gamertag for that to work, but since im already logged in at my own 360, or something like that. I mean it's not a thought out idea or whatever....ah fuck it. I'll see what happens on monday, but I can't believe you guys are just dismissing this, but whatever.

[quote name='AshesofWake']This isn't World of Warcraft. I honestly think to prevent people from going in or something, have it physically locked to the Gamertag, kind of how like Steam works. Suppose I take my gamertag to a friends house and download "full" versions, they would have to be logged into my Gamertag for that to work, but since im already logged in at my own 360, or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Well, that becomes a problem since the more people have access to the full versions that they haven't paid for themselves the less inclined they are going to be to grab a copy for themselves. I know I wouldn't be buying Geometry Wars if I can play it 20 hours a day without knocking my friend off of Live, same with other games.

And, I'm sorry, but I am dismissive of the problem itself if it could be solved via a call to customer service. I've dealt with some of the worst customer service ever and it is quite a pain but, even in those situations, a little bit of extra work and a little concept dubbed "turboing", if I recall, works wonders. It's a concept worth Googling, if the original websites are still up. It's a fantastic method of getting straight to the heart of particular matters either by reaching the top of the customer service chain in little to no time at all or going above and beyond that in order to reach a level of people who will help you.

So has anybody that has this problem called yet and see what results you get? just curious, gonna be trying this out for myself monday night. Wanted to know if any CAGs got it fixed for them. I'm reading the Xbox forums about this problem, seems like it's been mixed results so far.

Sucks to go out and support the Xbox 360, dropping down a large amount of your hard earned money and getting a defective product. You shouldn't have to take how ever many hours out of your day to call up microsoft, have them give you the whole run around, wait who knows how long to ship, have repaired, and reshipped your system, which may or may not have problems. It sucks. I totally agree with those people suing Microsoft due to faulty consoles, it's bullshit. It's more than obvious these problems aren't your average bug here and there, it's widespread. Disc scrathing, freezeing, overheating, not connecting to Live, these a major major problems.

I think it's pretty sad when the fanboys act like it's the people with the defective products who are in the wrong, it's down right disgusting. It's also annoying when the fanboys have to bring up the whole "Sony's products ARE TOTALLY THE MOST DEFECTIVE, XBOX 360 4 life!" So fucking what? No one ever said Sony's never had problems.... we're not talking about Sony, get over it. Do you really feel so attached to Microsoft that you have to try and knock other companies when some average joe is honestly having a problem with his purchase? The XBLA is a major feature of the 360, and if mine didn't work after I've paid for these chessy, overpriced XBL arcade games because there are a major lack of "real" games to play I'd be pissed too. I wouldn't hesistate to sell the 360, and wait a year until Microsoft stops fucking around, and doign things right.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Sucks to go out and support the Xbox 360, dropping down a large amount of your hard earned money and getting a defective product. You shouldn't have to take how ever many hours out of your day to call up microsoft, have them give you the whole run around, wait who knows how long to ship, have repaired, and reshipped your system, which may or may not have problems. It sucks. I totally agree with those people suing Microsoft due to faulty consoles, it's bullshit. It's more than obvious these problems aren't your average bug here and there, it's widespread. Disc scrathing, freezeing, overheating, not connecting to Live, these a major major problems.

I think it's pretty sad when the fanboys act like it's the people with the defective products who are in the wrong, it's down right disgusting. It's also annoying when the fanboys have to bring up the whole "Sony's products ARE TOTALLY THE MOST DEFECTIVE, XBOX 360 4 life!" So fucking what? No one ever said Sony's never had problems.... we're not talking about Sony, get over it. Do you really feel so attached to Microsoft that you have to try and knock other companies when some average joe is honestly having a problem with his purchase? The XBLA is a major feature of the 360, and if mine didn't work after I've paid for these chessy, overpriced XBL arcade games because there are a major lack of "real" games to play I'd be pissed too. I wouldn't hesistate to sell the 360, and wait a year until Microsoft stops fucking around, and doign things right.[/QUOTE]
Did you even read any of the other posts. The only real "glitch" with the 360 is the freezing. The only reason it overheats is because people dont keep it well venelated. As for the disc scratching that is because people move there console while they are on or have a disc in them

[quote name='slickkill77']Did you even read any of the other posts. The only real "glitch" with the 360 is the freezing. The only reason it overheats is because people dont keep it well venelated. As for the disc scratching that is because people move there console while they are on or have a disc in them[/QUOTE]

And MS is fixing almost all products within a week, this Live issue is the first hiccup they've had in awhile. If you can't wait a week to have your system fixed, you have issues. Just turn on your old Xbox, Gamecube, NES, Genesis or something. I mean, I'll gladly post "Yeah my 360 overeheated and I'm sending it back" or "I'm sending it back because it scratched my discs" but not go on ranting and crying because I have to be without my 360 for a week. Boohoo.

I haven't tried playing the arcade games offline yet, but if they don't work, and MS fixes it, that's cool. If not, it's not that huge of a deal. I usually only play Arcade games between rentals.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']And MS is fixing almost all products within a week, this Live issue is the first hiccup they've had in awhile. If you can't wait a week to have your system fixed, you have issues. Just turn on your old Xbox, Gamecube, NES, Genesis or something. I mean, I'll gladly post "Yeah my 360 overeheated and I'm sending it back" or "I'm sending it back because it scratched my discs" but not go on ranting and crying because I have to be without my 360 for a week. Boohoo.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Not everything is perfect when it comes out.

[quote name='slickkill77']Exactly. Not everything is perfect when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Yes. And it's sad that people just accept it and smile. Very few people have standards anymore...since it's some hot new video game system they lose all self-control and intelligence.

It's only going to get worse until people grow some balls and refuse to buy stuff they actually don't like, instead of just complaining about it in between playing sessions.

Intersting, I noticed it but didn't realize why. I sent mine for repairs, but I could have sworn it was the same one they sent back.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']And MS is fixing almost all products within a week, this Live issue is the first hiccup they've had in awhile. If you can't wait a week to have your system fixed, you have issues. Just turn on your old Xbox, Gamecube, NES, Genesis or something. I mean, I'll gladly post "Yeah my 360 overeheated and I'm sending it back" or "I'm sending it back because it scratched my discs" but not go on ranting and crying because I have to be without my 360 for a week. Boohoo.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been waiting almost TWO weeks for MS to call me back now. They sent me a refurb back that does NOT connect to LIVE. They are aware of the problem, it's widespread, yet they have done nothing yet. I just keep waiting. They told me 72 hours twice now. STILL NO CALL. At least I can play my 360, but no LIVE, which is annoying.

This whole thread is fucking pointless. It's called xbox LIVE arcade. Get it? LIVE. As in the ONLINE service... Catching on yet? Be thankful they allow you to play without being connected on the original system. I guarentee you without the security feature that you so loathe someone would crack the coding for all the games in no time flat. It might not seem like a big deal, but if the arcade coding was cracked, instuctions on how to do so would VERY quickly become readily available, and then live arcade interest from publishers would all but disappear. I, for one, love the arcade concept and do not wish to see it die. It really is one of the best things about the 360. Independent game contest on a major console? That's an idea I'm VERY behind. Besides, every ounce of security they put in place makes cheating that less likely.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes. And it's sad that people just accept it and smile. Very few people have standards anymore...since it's some hot new video game system they lose all self-control and intelligence.

It's only going to get worse until people grow some balls and refuse to buy stuff they actually don't like, instead of just complaining about it in between playing sessions.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why I'm not buying a PS3.

bread's done
Back