Consultant Work?

hopesfall

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ok, so is there anyone on here who does consultant work? Either full-time or just on the side. I'm just looking to find out how a person gets into that, how they get their name out there, the areas of expertise you can put into use, etc. Just basic information, I guess. I'd also like to know what kind of money you made in this area, roughly. If anyone can provide information, I'd appreciate it!

I did a little bit of computer consultant work on the side. Never really wanted to do it full-time because I like the job security of a regular paying job. If you wanted to do it full-time, your best bet would be to work for an agency. That way, you don't have to find jobs for yourself and still get paid well.

I got into it just by word of mouth. I did some side jobs just because a friend of mine had too much work for himself and gave them my name. It paid well because you can set your own salary, but there are still some drawbacks. It kind of sucks doing all that work on top of your regular job. Doesn't leave much time for doing other things. Most your work would be with small companies and people who don't understand what you are doing and how long it should take to do them.

My only advice would be to make sure and have everything in a contract before you start. Try and set it up to be paid per hour. If they want to just pay a lump some for the whole project, make sure a stipulate in the contract that any changes to the original plan may cause the amount to increase. Most of the time, they will try and add something after you have started and expect it to be done for free.

[quote name='hopesfall']Ok, so is there anyone on here who does consultant work? Either full-time or just on the side. I'm just looking to find out how a person gets into that, how they get their name out there, the areas of expertise you can put into use, etc. Just basic information, I guess. I'd also like to know what kind of money you made in this area, roughly. If anyone can provide information, I'd appreciate it![/QUOTE]
In order to be a consultant, you usually join a firm that does a specific task. THings like: Research, marketing, design, etc. Smaller companies typically use consultants if they can't afford their own department. Say, they can't afford a large staff of computer programmers, they may hire a consultation company to write some code for them.

Whatever the case may be, whatever field you look into, you still need an education for it. You can be a self-employed consultant (my mom did this for a little bit when the economy slumped a few years back), but don't expect a lot of dividens or a lot of high profile work. Also expect to be a jack of all trades (worker, schmoozer, secretary, etc). That is to say, expect to work your butt off.

[quote name='hopesfall']Ok, so is there anyone on here who does consultant work? Either full-time or just on the side. I'm just looking to find out how a person gets into that, how they get their name out there, the areas of expertise you can put into use, etc. Just basic information, I guess. I'd also like to know what kind of money you made in this area, roughly. If anyone can provide information, I'd appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Its going to cost you $200 for me to answer this question for you.

The only way you get paid well for consultant work is to be at the top of your game.. you don't actively look into a career as a consultant.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Get a diploma, go to business school for 8 years.[/QUOTE]

Or comp sci for 4.

Oh, and...

yourewelcome.jpg

bread's done
Back