CAGcast #18: Barely Legal

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
So much fun, it should be illegal!

We discuss the latest releases and gaming news, video game shopping news, Xbox 360 Lounge (Tokyo) vs Nintendo World Store (NYC), Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, your questions from the CAGbag, and more!

iTunes (If you have iTunes, please review us!)
Download - 55 minutes, 25MB
RSS Feed
Past CAGcasts

CAGcast Spoilers below!

Show Companion Materials

Intro
Atari 2600 Pac Man Commercial

CAGcast News Blast
Reggie Fils-Aime’s Brandsweek Article: Mario's Grown Up, You Ready To Play?
Business Week’s Article: This PlayStation May Play Too Much
Video Games Good For Your Brain\
Japanese Gamers Heavily Interested in DS Lite
Solitaire Game Gets NYC Worker Fired

Best Buy Fires Xbox 360 Bundling Managers

CAG Video Game Deals/News
Top Spin 2/Dynasty Warriors 5 (Xbox 360) $40
Major Circuit City Clearance

341 Suncoast and Sam Goody Stores Closing with Complete List

Your Man In Japan
Xbox 360 Lounge (Tokyo) vs Nintendo Store (NYC)
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Import Review (CAG thread)

Wombat's Disney Pictures:

[quote name='SteveMcQ']That's not what I expected Wombat to look like.[/QUOTE]

me either. but come to think of it, i didnt exactly have an idea of what he looked like anyways.

Strangely enough, that's exactly what I thought Wombat would look like.

And you're right about "star" gaming journalists. There have yet to be any really emerge. When I see Geoff Keighley, I always get the impression that he's shilling for someone or holding back what he really thinks.

I just didn't like this one that much. I guess it is because you treaded old ground (25 to Life, Xbox 360, Wombat hates RPGs, etc) and your new ground was way off topic (Valentine’s Day, Walt Disney World). The male cheerleader import segment was good though.

Maybe next time you two should read up on game previews of something you want to play and talk about what you like, don't like and what you'd like to see about the game. Just my opinion, so don't take it seriously.

Oh CheapyD, you should get The Rub Rabbits!. Very couple friendly :)

And to Wombat you should stay at the Animal Kingdom lodge next time.
Watching Giraffes, warthogs and bison from your hotel window is very cool.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I just didn't like this one that much. I guess it is because you treaded old ground (25 to Life, Xbox 360, Wombat hates RPGs, etc) and your new ground was way off topic (Valentine’s Day, Walt Disney World). The male cheerleader import segment was good though.

Maybe next time you two should read up on game previews of something you want to play and talk about what you like, don't like and what you'd like to see about the game. Just my opinion, so don't take it seriously.

Watching Giraffes, warthogs and bison from your hotel window is very cool.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, I can't really say that I disagree with you that much to be honest, I never mind critisism if its contructive. All that really matters is that you are listening anyway ;)

About superstar gaming journalists - Don't you think the EGM guys are closer to this than just about anyone else? They used to appear on CNN every week and usually when there is any notable videogame news that the general public might be interested in there is usually an EGM editor there presenting it. Also, as a game journalist myself, I have always considered EGM to be the "major leagues" and that is what I'm working towards in my career.

What about guys like Sushi-X back in the day? He was absolutely huge. I would also say that the well travelled James Mielke qualifies as a "star" (at least I usually pay closer attention when I see his name on a review).

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! does have female cheerleaders...just expect to be really stretched to the limit since they are part of the "very hard" difficulty.

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time is a pretty decent rpg for the DS.

I really don't understand the qualifier "cartoony" used to describe game graphics. What exactly does that mean? Aren't all game graphics "cartoony"? If "cartoony" was one end of the spectrum, I guess the other would be "realistic," but I fail to see how one is better than the other.

Windwaker was called "cartoony" too, but what I think people meant was "bright and cheery". Though I don't think that is what CheapyD meant when he was talking about Exit.

I think if you want to be a "star" game journalist, you should consider not using the word "cartoony".

[quote name='radjago']Strangely enough, that's exactly what I thought Wombat would look like.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'd also like to add that Wombat fits the gamer "stereotype" perfectly. :D Then again, so does Cheapy so who the hell knows... Either way, I'm looking forward to listening to this one on the way home tonight. Thanks again fellas.

hahahaha for a minute there I thought it was a picture of a statue of john belushi come to find to out its wombat. Goin to listen to this one on the way home.

[quote name='GF_Eric']About superstar gaming journalists - Don't you think the EGM guys are closer to this than just about anyone else? They used to appear on CNN every week and usually when there is any notable videogame news that the general public might be interested in there is usually an EGM editor there presenting it. Also, as a game journalist myself, I have always considered EGM to be the "major leagues" and that is what I'm working towards in my career.

What about guys like Sushi-X back in the day? He was absolutely huge. I would also say that the well travelled James Mielke qualifies as a "star" (at least I usually pay closer attention when I see his name on a review).[/QUOTE]

Go ask your Mom if she knows who Dan Hsu is. Then ask her if she knows who Roger Ebert is. Chances are she don't no Hsu.

[quote name='Shion']I really don't understand the qualifier "cartoony" used to describe game graphics. What exactly does that mean? Aren't all game graphics "cartoony"? If "cartoony" was one end of the spectrum, I guess the other would be "realistic," but I fail to see how one is better than the other. [/QUOTE] I don't think one is better than the other. Does "cartoony" carry a negative connotation? I don't see it that way.

@ Wombat - FYI, Crash Bandicoot was never "officially" the Playstation mascot. In fact, Sony has never endorsed any game character as its mascot. They wanted to be distinguished as a console manufacturer and felt that having a mascot could be detrimental. :roll: (I used to work for SCEA during the Bandicoot days and I was promptly corrected by a then marketing manager when I made the same statement.)

Yes, I know how you would respond to this but the party line is the party line. :D

I hate to say it, but the show needs more pep! I like the Your Man In Japan feature, and I understand that we're in the winter doldrums of gaming, but the show still needs more pep. Maybe some music breaks between segments would help out.

Also, how did you guys miss out on Chibi-Robo for the 'Cube? Seems like a pretty big release for the Big N.

Hey this podcast was a good one. You guys just seem to keep it fun and light and still have some fairly witty and insightful comments on gaming.

Good counter point on Reggie's Jaws example. Altho I think he did also say that Hollywood forgot that Jaws and STar Wars were also well acted movies with great stories.

Last I second the Chibi Robo on the 'Cube miss. I picked this one up and I give it a big massive 'U' for underrated. A suprisngly fun title.

My bad on the Chibi Robo omission...it was an honest mistake and it sounds like a cool game.

Oh, and by the way...

[quote name='CheapyD']My bad on the Chibi Robo omission...it was an honest mistake and it sounds like a cool game.

Oh, and by the way...[/QUOTE]

Oh boy... a clock. I got something like that from a bank. :D
She get you a calculator last year? I kid, I kid.:D

But seriously to all the wives and girlfriends out there, just give what we really want. You know what I mean.

[quote name='Shion']I really don't understand the qualifier "cartoony" used to describe game graphics. What exactly does that mean? Aren't all game graphics "cartoony"? If "cartoony" was one end of the spectrum, I guess the other would be "realistic," but I fail to see how one is better than the other.

Windwaker was called "cartoony" too, but what I think people meant was "bright and cheery". Though I don't think that is what CheapyD meant when he was talking about Exit.

I think if you want to be a "star" game journalist, you should consider not using the word "cartoony".[/QUOTE]

... wow. What an idiot.

None of what you said was a bold statement, so I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish.

"Cartoony", in terms of game, is mostly used for the style of the art direction (which can entail mood, as you've mentioned... although you appear to feel it's one or the other). Wind Waker was "cartoony", as it's goal was to appear like an animated cartoon -- I.E. "cartoony". It doesn't necessarily entail "bright and cheery". I've lost count of how many cartoons I've seen that were dark and disturbing, or somewhere in between (like Psychonauts, for example).

You're not bold. Thanks.

CheapyD and Wombat the original poster for the closing of the 341 Suncoast and Sam Goody stores would be in this thread right here:

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83577

This is were it was originated and headpiece took the list that was posted through a link in this thread and made it in order by state.

Soujiro_Seta is the person in this thread that provided us with a link to the list and documents filed by Musicland in court so we have to give credit to the original poster.

I also thank headpiece for taking the time to sort the list which was kind of confusing to look through to try to find your local store.

[quote name='Shion']I really don't understand the qualifier "cartoony" used to describe game graphics. What exactly does that mean? Aren't all game graphics "cartoony"? If "cartoony" was one end of the spectrum, I guess the other would be "realistic," but I fail to see how one is better than the other.

I think if you want to be a "star" game journalist, you should consider not using the word "cartoony".[/QUOTE]

What the Hell are you talking about? Wind Waker is cartoony. Doom3 is not cartoony. This isn't rocket science, and I don't think anyone is saying that one is better than the other. They are just different styles, and can both be cool when pulled off right.

The Simpsons is cartoony, so is Futurama. I'm I being negative?

[quote name='thorbahn3']I just didn't like this one that much. I guess it is because you treaded old ground (25 to Life, Xbox 360, Wombat hates RPGs, etc) and your new ground was way off topic (Valentine’s Day, Walt Disney World). The male cheerleader import segment was good though.

Watching Giraffes, warthogs and bison from your hotel window is very cool.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that CheapyD wants a good Hockey game...again...and again...and again...:lol:

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']Don't forget that CheapyD wants a good Hockey game...again...and again...and again...:lol:[/QUOTE]

Did I mention I hate RPG's

[quote name='Wombat']Did I mention I hate RPG's[/QUOTE]

You mean you don't enjoy reaching points in games where you must spend 5+ hours levelling up against giant rats, or collecting gold from said giant rats (why the hell would a giant rat be carrying gold?), or finding items that for no good reason are hidden in crates?

Wait, wait... I can sort of understand your sentiment... but let's try this: how about if there was a RPG where you played the bad guy in a mean city like New York and you had to shoot cops to level up for hours on end before you were strong enough to take on a super boss who was corrupting the city? And what if you got power ups out of crates found in alleys?

Thanks again for the Podcast. I always enjoy them.

I also tried that Getting Up game at E3 and thought it was horrible. Atari took up half their booth trying to promote this game. I'll be curious to see how it does in sales.

Pretty good episode. I just wanted to chime in and say that Ouendan DOES have female cheerleaders, but you have to unlock that mode. Clearly CheapyD didn't get very far in the game :D

[quote name='peteyrose']Pretty good episode. I just wanted to chime in and say that Ouendan DOES have female cheerleaders, but you have to unlock that mode. Clearly CheapyD didn't get very far in the game :D[/QUOTE]

or maybe he just liked playing with the male cheerleaders :whistle2:#

[quote name='peteyrose']Pretty good episode. I just wanted to chime in and say that Ouendan DOES have female cheerleaders, but you have to unlock that mode. Clearly CheapyD didn't get very far in the game :D[/QUOTE]
Do'h...I'm getting there. I'm 12 songs deep.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Go ask your Mom if she knows who Dan Hsu is. Then ask her if she knows who Roger Ebert is. Chances are she don't no Hsu.[/QUOTE]
There's a difference, it takes around 2 hours to watch a movie to be able to review it while games takes many hours, so there's the need for whole crews to be able to review all the games that come out in one month while one man can watch all the movies in a given weekend in a day or less. EGM's probably the most well known of the review crews in the game media and are the closest to a "superstar" reviewer, but that can't really happen with just one person, as games take too long to play and review for them to do it frequently enough to become a bigshot.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's a difference, it takes around 2 hours to watch a movie to be able to review it while games takes many hours, so there's the need for whole crews to be able to review all the games that come out in one month while one man can watch all the movies in a given weekend in a day or less. EGM's probably the most well known of the review crews in the game media and are the closest to a "superstar" reviewer, but that can't really happen with just one person, as games take too long to play and review for them to do it frequently enough to become a bigshot.[/QUOTE]

Well of course that's true. I was simply making the point that gaming journalists aren't superstars yet unlike movie and sports journalists.

Cheapy & Wombat, since you are both married, what's the one moment that sticks out in your mind where your wife has gone out of her way to embrace your dorkdom?

Mine would have to be that my Groom's cake at our wedding was actually in the shape of an Xbox. There are pictures of us actually cutting our wedding cake with a large orange flavored Duke controller sitting right beside it.

(I'll have to scan in some pictures later.)

bread's done
Back