aim?

Quackzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I have some contacts that use aim.

I installed it and signed up, but the AIM program is horrible.

Are there any alternatives that connect to the AIM network but with a different program?

What don't you like about AIM. I have no problems with it. But I know a lot of people are switching to google, yahoo, and MSN. Of course their is the always popular IRC

I was having lots of issues with AIM and just decided to get rid of it and yahoo for trillian. Loved it ever since.

Trillian does the trick for me. It even connects to Hotmail (assuming you use it) and lets you know if you have new messages. I just wish it would connect to my xbl friends list and let me know of any status changes.

I am a big fan of GAIM myself. Lots of cool features and connects top several networks. The only issue for me is the layout sometimes it is hard to do stuff.

Ugh I hate AIM's normal interface.

I tricked mine out and now it's absolutely badass.

It's sleek black and it's semi-transparent. I love it.

works9lm.png

[quote name='Moxio']Ugh I hate AIM's normal interface.

works9lm.png
[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty sweet, 'cept that font you use blurred everything out.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']That looks pretty sweet, 'cept that font you use blurred everything out.[/QUOTE]

That's not the font, I just blurred it for privacy.

Another satisfied GAIM user here. The current 2.0.0 beta is lacking some features that the old 1.5.0 had, but it works fine for just text. The goal of the next full release after 2.0 (2.1?) is supposed to bring audio, video, and file transfer options from all the compatible clients into it.

I havent used Trillian in quite a while, has the stability improved at all? I would also get connection errors when trying to connect to all 4 (AIM, Y, MSN, ICQ) at once.

[quote name='Moxio']Ugh I hate AIM's normal interface.

works9lm.png
[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to know how you did that - is is something I'd have to download or are ther built in options for AIM to do that?

I use Adium for mac, fully tricked out. I have a Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, MSN, and Gmail account on it, but I don't think I use anything other than the AIM.

Isn't it funny how half the programs on the internet are named after something in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Trillian (nickname of Tricia McMillin)
Babelfish
etc.

What no Miranda IM loving here? I prefer it over Trillian. It's open sourced and you can skin how ever the hell you want to by just editing graphics from other skins. It also supports .png so you have it transparent. Here what mine looks like...
untitled12hh.png

Nothing but Miranda hate here, sorry. My wife used it for a while and it would do things like not actually send messages half the time and crash every time she logged off.

I haven't used Trillian in years. It was useful back when people still used the ICQ network, but now everyone I know uses MSN.

If you are just looking for a replacement to AIM and don't need the multi IM client compatability of GAIM or Trillian, you should seriously give miniaim a shot. Smallest, most effecient AIM client I have ever seen.

I can't stand anything that isn't Gaim.

Supports AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr.

Has unique and useful features like Buddy Pounce (perform actions when people log in/out), text repleacement (instantly turn "lol" into "laughing out loud," for example), spell checker (lol, yeah right), plug-in support for all kinds of stuff, automatic conversation logging into a searchable, cataloged database, and tabbed conversations, just like Firefox.

I've been using it for almost a year I think, and I've never looked back.

DAMMIT people. It's not "GAIM". Read.

As far as a pure AIM client, the official AIM client is the best. Consider yourself warned, AIM Triton is horrible...stay away. When you want something that is multi-protocol then you should start looking at Trillian and open source clients.

[quote name='WebScud']DAMMIT people. It's not "GAIM". Read.

As far as a pure AIM client, the official AIM client is the best. Consider yourself warned, AIM Triton is horrible...stay away. When you want something that is multi-protocol then you should start looking at Trillian and open source clients.[/QUOTE]
The regular AIM build is full of ads. It's big and stupid looking. Features-wise, maybe it is the best.

[quote name='Danro']I havent used Trillian in quite a while, has the stability improved at all? I would also get connection errors when trying to connect to all 4 (AIM, Y, MSN, ICQ) at once.[/QUOTE]
Stability, somewhat. Resource hogging, not really.

Another vote for little ol' Miranda. The others are obtrusive and annoying.

[quote name='irrossistable']The regular AIM build is full of ads.[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone ever use AIM without the AIM Ad Hack??? Seriously, as craptastic as the AIM client is, I never had a problem using it as I always threw on the latest Ad Hack and made all of it's annoyances disappear. Granted, I only use miniaim now, but Ad Hack made the official client tolerable. Now only if file transfers worked right over AIM on any client for me. Gotta love it when you forwards ports and the damn thing still doesn't work right.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']that new AIM triton is what pissed me off...[/QUOTE]

Having to use there avatars... yeah no thanks... and you have to pay for them to boot... Correct me if im wrong but i saw no way to upload your own..

[quote name='Nogib']Why would anyone ever use AIM without the AIM Ad Hack??? Seriously, as craptastic as the AIM client is, I never had a problem using it as I always threw on the latest Ad Hack and made all of it's annoyances disappear. Granted, I only use miniaim now, but Ad Hack made the official client tolerable. Now only if file transfers worked right over AIM on any client for me. Gotta love it when you forwards ports and the damn thing still doesn't work right.[/QUOTE]
Bah, but who wants to have to download the program, download a hack, and then download a skin just to have it not look like ass?

[quote name='WebScud']DAMMIT people. It's not "GAIM". Read.[/QUOTE]
What does "Gaim" stand for?
For freedom!​
Does that not include the freedom to call it GAIM?

[quote name='help1']AIM with DEADAIM...
USed trillian, jsut everything wasnt compatible from AIM with it.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is deadaim?...i've heard of it before because i know people who use it, but i don't know what it is. What does it do to AIM?

Have any of the multiclients or alternatives fixed their file transfer/direct connect issues that AIM allows? I use Trillian occassionally, and only because some people I use it with are on AIM and the DC/FT protocols SUCK on it, and we couldn't ever get connected. I tinkered with ports and settings and routers FOREVER until the third or fourth google search/Trillian forums revealed that it simply didn't work in Trillian, despite that people have been asking for it for several years now.

If GAIM or Miranda or DeadAIM or any of the others fix this, I would like to know. I hardly use IMs anymore but it would be nice if I could have one that allowed AIM, ICQ, and MSN Messenger, along with file transfer services within the original client's protocol.

[quote name='mjkusy13']What exactly is deadaim?...i've heard of it before because i know people who use it, but i don't know what it is. What does it do to AIM?[/QUOTE]
It's basically a patch to regular old AIM which disables the big advertisements, and adds features like IM logging and the ability to make yourself look idle whenever you want. I use deadAIM just to get rid of the ads, personally.

DeadAIM is ok, but I prefer AIM Ad Hack. Slims down AIM wonderfully, and as has been stated, the normal AIM client is still the best for slick, fast IMing. I don't need or even want the bloated Trillion, GAIM, Miranda, or Triton.

Check it: http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/
Go to: Aim Ad Hack version: 4.14 for Aim Version 5.9.3861

[quote name='Lice']Having to use there avatars... yeah no thanks... and you have to pay for them to boot... Correct me if im wrong but i saw no way to upload your own..[/QUOTE]
I have the old aim client still installed on my computer as well as the new AIM triton. I like the tabbed feature of Triton and it's been stable for me. However, it's a resource hog, it doesn't allow you to upload your own icons, and it's kinda ugly. But in response to your comment: I use the old aim to put my custom icons on my screen name and then just sign off and sign back on with Triton. The icon I chose will be visible there.
That Miranda is sexy looking, though... I've just tried both Trillian and Gaim and didn't like either. Both of them wouldn't allow me to direct connect and send files over their AIM part. Gaim is pretty ugly, too.

[quote name='Aerik']That Miranda is sexy looking, though... I've just tried both Trillian and Gaim and didn't like either. Both of them wouldn't allow me to direct connect and send files over their AIM part. Gaim is pretty ugly, too.[/quote]
Miranda's not for you, then. It doesn't have direct connect builtin or AIM transfers. Not sure how well the plug-in works now but it used to suck.

Sexy? Miranda? Only with a skin.

bread's done
Back