Cheap place to get Windows XP?

[quote name='Coolnat2004']Arrr ye Matey![/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!! Oh shit thats right, thanks for the idea/reminder.

Cost you that much? Mine was free legally. OP, if you know someone who goes to college, they might be able to hook you up, but it still isn't 100% legal.

I can get XP for free directly from Microsoft through my college....however it isn't legal for me to give it to anyone else.

[quote name='Genocidal']Cost you that much? Mine was free legally. OP, if you know someone who goes to college, they might be able to hook you up, but it still isn't 100% legal.[/QUOTE]
That's what I did for my brother. He built a new system a month or two ago, and didn't want to pay for Windows XP, so I got him one from the college I go to. A normal student couldn't get a copy, but since I'm taking computer tech courses I'm able to get them for my classes.

I've been thinking about replacing the XP Home installation on my desktop with XP Pro.

Search for Windows XP Home OEM. You have to buy a piece of hardware with it to qualify for the OEM pricing. (sometimes local stores have this deal too)
You can usually get a keyboard, or flash drive, or optical drive and qualify.

It should be priced somewhere between $85 to $95 depending on where you go.

Newegg.com
They have it on there for cheap. I got a copy of Media Center 2005 for $130.
To get the OEM, you just have to buy hardware such as a cheap mouse or a floppy drive.(around $7 for one of them)

Man, ISU must rape us on XP and Office...since they charge $75 for each! (You guys above are getting great deals!) Still, I guess $75 isn't bad either. I bought Office a few years ago...

[quote name='Rig']Man, ISU must rape us on XP and Office...since they charge $75 for each! (You guys above are getting great deals!) Still, I guess $75 isn't bad either. I bought Office a few years ago...[/QUOTE]

At the bookstore we are charged i think $35 for XP and $70 for Office....The reason im able to get XP for free is the school is part of some sort of Microsoft partnership (probably has something to do with them having operations in Fargo) for the I/T students to download software like XP and older OS, as well as things like VB Studio, for use during school. After schooling is completed the software license is transfered to the student permanently.

[quote name='kevzik']fuck that, I rocked ME fo years![/QUOTE]

I rocked it for six! Ok, just going to look over my computer again (nothing shows up on screen) but everything turns on, fans, floppy drive, cd drive, hard drive etc.

Meh, my school charges full price for Windows, but gives a 10% discount on all Apple products. (and were giving away free ipods with the purchase of an ibook at the beginning of the year, but I think that may have been a deal on apple's website too)
My school blows as far as deals go though.

bread's done
Back