IS backward compatibility important to you?

epobirs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
There has been a lot of discussion about whether next generation consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo will play games from the current machines. Sony has stated they will continue to support backward compatibility in their next machine.

For myself I find this very useful due to the large array of consoles I own. With the PS2 I was able to put in the place formerly used by its predecessor. To date I've spent nearly as much time playing PSone games on my PS2 as I have its own library.

I don't have a PS2 but I do have a GBA. I've bought Tetris and borrowed old Marios from my cousin and play them on my GBA. I would love to have backwards compatibility on the Xbox 2.

Sort of, I don't like how the sony implimented the backward compatibility on the ps2 though, I shouldn't have to set the disc speed and graphic smoother each time I put in a psone game, should be automatic.

No its not really that important to me, I mean if you had Playstation games, then you had the Playstation. So whats it matter if the PS2 could play them when you can just play them on the Playstation? I wouldn't miss it because of 1 or 2 old dated games you borrowed from a friend.

agreed... the main reason i have a ps2 and not an xbox is because i can play my ps1 games still and not have 2 systems sitting around.

i think on handhelds its not required, but rather important, because its cool to be able to play earlier games on the road with the same system, but consoles dont really matter cuz as soon as the next one comes out, i pretty much forget about the previous model, and i can always bust out my old one if needed.

Backwards compatibility is at it's best during the early months of a new console's lifespan, when there aren't a lot of titles for the new console. Being able to play both the new games and the old games without having to swap cables, or take up additional space on the power strip is a good thing. It takes too much away from Nintendo's business model, though (re-releasing all of your old games on your new console with only the effort of writing your own emulator).

NES - SNES - N64 - GC = No backwards compatibility
SMS - Genesis - Saturn - Dreamcast = No backwards compatibility

GBA and PS2 are the only ones I can think of that have been backwards compatible. Would it be nice? Yes. Is it a big deal? I don't think so. It's just another excuse for the haters to criticize MS. How come Nintendo doesn't get criticized for the same shaq-fu'ing thing?

[quote name='coolsteel']Sort of, I don't like how the sony implimented the backward compatibility on the ps2 though, I shouldn't have to set the disc speed and graphic smoother each time I put in a psone game, should be automatic.[/quote]

No, it shouldn't be automatic. Since it doesn't work with a majority of the titles for the PSOne. It doesn't work with MGS, any FF game, etc. Many of the better games for the system used specialized disc access and drawing routines. The two features of which you speak cause games that do this to crash.

I'm assuming the PS3 will have similiar features for PS2 games, but again, a lot of games expect the hardware to behave a certain way no matter what and probably won't tolerate changes.

[quote name='Machine']NES - SNES - N64 - GC = No backwards compatibility

GBA and PS2 are the only ones I can think of that have been backwards compatible. Would it be nice? Yes. Is it a big deal? I don't think so. It's just another excuse for the haters to criticize MS. How come Nintendo doesn't get criticized for the same shaq-fu'ing thing?[/quote]

I'd like to point out that Sega's hardware devision is now gone and the great Nintendo is fighting with newcomer MS to hold on to 2nd place. Which is a really distant 2nd to 1st. If you think backwards compatiability isn't going to be a huge feature in the next-gen you are sticking your head in the sand.

P.S. -- The gameboy line-up has always had backwards compat. and it is the #1 selling platform of all time by huge margins.

I like the idea of having backwards compatable consoles primarily for the reason that I wouldn't have to keep several consoles hooked up to my TV. If the next Nintendo or Xbox coinsoles are backwards compatable I'd have no reason to keep the GCN or Xbox out. Right know I've got five consoles and my theater system rigged to my TV and it's a bit messy.

When I bought my PS2 in July of 01 I had never owned a PSX. One of the first games I bought was Final Fantasy IX. Since then I have bought dozens of PSX games, and just got a Playstation console for my room a few months ago.

For PS2, it kind of was for me, because I didn't have a PS1 but wanted to pick up some old games. So it lead me to go out and buy 7-8 PS1 games that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten to play (through completion at least). For the next generation, though, I just don't give a shit - I'm keeping every game and every console I have now. I still regret selling the shit I used to own.

[quote name='BigNick']Xbox 2 better have it. It shouldnt be a problem for them to do it.[/quote]

[sarcasm]
You are right BigNick, translating binaries ment for an Intel machine to a RISC processor on the fly is simple stuff and everyone can do it. Not to mention the XBox has the old nVidia specific render. So it shouldn't be a problem to not only translate but decide what equilivant calls to the new API would make the same effects for the game. And this in no way would violate nVidia's IP or further piss them off because of being dumped for ATI for the next XBox. nVidia would not sue and keep the XBox release in court for at least a year or two.

It is not like what you are talking about is rewritting a program from binary on the fly.
[/sarcasm]

BigNick, shut the hell up. XBox backward compat. isn't going to happen, but I damn wish it would. I want a smaller box that can still play NG, Halo, etc. on it.

backwards compatibilikty has nothing to do with the PS2 lead, and any success the Xdude has had is a testament to tjhe poor tastes of gamers iun north america and europe.

"Hey guys, i own a system with zero decent games!"

backwards compatibility is sweet. as someone said, it saves so much space. if the PS3 can play ps2 and ps1 games, dvds, and whatever new dvd format it'll play (blue ray, etc), i'm that much more likely to buy one. and fuck the xbox 2. the cpus are completely different. the ps3 will be completely different also, but they can do the ps2 trick and include the ps2's hardware in the ps3. micrsofot isn't going to put in an intel cpu. and nvidia sure as hell isn't going to be helpful.

[quote name='jmon22']No its not really that important to me, I mean if you had Playstation games, then you had the Playstation. So whats it matter if the PS2 could play them when you can just play them on the Playstation? I wouldn't miss it because of 1 or 2 old dated games you borrowed from a friend.[/quote]

Because when the PS3 comes out you can trade in your PS2 toward it. Which will do a great service to sales, market share, and ultimately games.

[quote name='BigNick']Xbox 2 better have it. It shouldnt be a problem for them to do it.[/quote]

It may be a huge problem for MS to do it, especially if they are removing the harddrive, as rumored, to cut down costs. Also, the fact that they're using ATI chips instead of nVidia chips would be a problem, because many Xbox titles take advantage of nVidia specific graphics routines which would have to be emulated by the new ATI chip. And I doubt nVidia would be too keen about this.

[quote name='eros'][quote name='Machine']NES - SNES - N64 - GC = No backwards compatibility

GBA and PS2 are the only ones I can think of that have been backwards compatible. Would it be nice? Yes. Is it a big deal? I don't think so. It's just another excuse for the haters to criticize MS. How come Nintendo doesn't get criticized for the same shaq-fu'ing thing?[/quote]

I'd like to point out that Sega's hardware devision is now gone and the great Nintendo is fighting with newcomer MS to hold on to 2nd place. Which is a really distant 2nd to 1st. If you think backwards compatiability isn't going to be a huge feature in the next-gen you are sticking your head in the sand.

P.S. -- The gameboy line-up has always had backwards compat. and it is the #1 selling platform of all time by huge margins.[/quote]

While that may be true, if you look closer, backwards compatibility is not the reason for Nintendo's current struggles in the video game market. Take the SNES for example, not having backwards compatibility had absolutely no effect on its dominance. Nintendo is struggling for a lot of reasons (lack of 3rd party support, late player in the current generation of consoles, unable to shed "kid game" image, innovations that don't make sense, etc.). Backwards compatability is not anywhere close to the top of that list.

That being said, for those of you that love backwards compatibility, don't think that you won't have to sacrifice something to get it. There comes a point in time where you are just crippling yourself from a hardware/software standpoint if you insist on keeping backwards compatability. Just take a look at Windows 98 vs Windows XP, XP is much better, but they had to sacrifice some backwards compatability.

i already own every system already so it really doesn't matter..but it would be REALLY cool if all the systems did work with other games

[quote name='BigBen']
While that may be true, if you look closer, backwards compatibility is not the reason for Nintendo's current struggles in the video game market. Take the SNES for example, not having backwards compatibility had absolutely no effect on its dominance. Nintendo is struggling for a lot of reasons (lack of 3rd party support, late player in the current generation of consoles, unable to shed "kid game" image, innovations that don't make sense, etc.). Backwards compatability is not anywhere close to the top of that list.

That being said, for those of you that love backwards compatibility, don't think that you won't have to sacrifice something to get it. There comes a point in time where you are just crippling yourself from a hardware/software standpoint if you insist on keeping backwards compatability. Just take a look at Windows 98 vs Windows XP, XP is much better, but they had to sacrifice some backwards compatability.[/quote]

The SNES's dominance had to do with the lack of competition and the fact that people knew Nintendo puts out great games. Hell, if all you had to go on was the original Nintendo and the Sega Master System, of course you are buying the SNES.

BTW, your non-point about backwards compatiability crippling a system is bullshit. This is nothing like MS's cobbled together crap ball called Windows.

Sony made the PS2 backwards compatiable by reducing the PSOne to a single seperate chip. This chip is used for I/O and audio when playing PS2 games to offload those duties from the other processor. Infact the backwards compatiability allows the system to have more power to put elsewhere. Sony will probably do the same thing to the PS2.

[quote name='coolsteel']Sort of, I don't like how the sony implimented the backward compatibility on the ps2 though, I shouldn't have to set the disc speed and graphic smoother each time I put in a psone game, should be automatic.[/quote]

I've never had to touch those settings despite PS1 games accounting for almost half of my PS2 use.

While there are substantial difficulties the biggest obstacle is not technical but legal. MAny games on Xbox are optimized by bypassing the API and going directly to the XGPU to perform some graphics tasks. To produce a compatible machine they'd need to reproduce NVIDIA's proprietary IP. This would involve licensing costs that would add a major burden to achieving profitability with the new machine.

Sony doesn't have the same problem because they did more of their design from scratch and don't have a bitter divide between themselves and their PS1 partners. Thus LSI didn't require any licensing to produce the I/O chip that also performs PS1 operations in the PS2.

Not that Microsoft cares one bit, but if the X-Box Next isn't backwards compatible the odds of me buying one before the price hits rock bottom are slim to none.

[quote name='BigBen'][quote name='eros'][quote name='Machine']NES - SNES - N64 - GC = No backwards compatibility

P.S. -- The gameboy line-up has always had backwards compat. and it is the #1 selling platform of all time by huge margins.[/quote]

That being said, for those of you that love backwards compatibility, don't think that you won't have to sacrifice something to get it. There comes a point in time where you are just crippling yourself from a hardware/software standpoint if you insist on keeping backwards compatability. Just take a look at Windows 98 vs Windows XP, XP is much better, but they had to sacrifice some backwards compatability.[/quote]

There are some misconceptions here. First of all, backwards compatibility between sharply defined closed systems is a very difference task than what Microsoft has faced with the massive amount of illegal programming techniques used by application coders of yore. As well, testing the compatibilty of a game system is trivial compared to an hugely popular OS with no controls over who is allowed to produce software for it. The entire PS1 library across all regions at the time the PS2 was being engineered is just a few thousand titles with a substantial amount of duplication across regions. The investment Sony faced was thus much, much lower, especially since there were no huge corporate customer who would go ballistic if their 10-year-old proprietary app stopped workin g on the new machine.

Nintendo's domination, especially in the US, was driven primarily by the stranglehold they had on third-party publishing. If you wanted your game on a Nintendo platform it couldn't appear on a competing brand for a minimum of two years. (I once had to co-sign one of these as Associate Producer on a NES port of a C64 Cinemaware game.) This kept a huge amount of excellent PC Engine games that also appeared on the NES from being brought to the US on the TurboGrafx16. It also strangled Sega in the 8-bit generation. This finally came to an end when Sega sued Nintendo and the case was settled out of court. By no small coincidence the first Genesis version of Street Fighter II appeared very soon afterward. (Why NEC, a much bigger company than Sega didn't sue NOA is that their semiconductor division did a lot of business with Nintendo and the much smaller game division was told in no uncertain terms to not anger Nintendo.)

Nintendo's choice not to make the SNES backward compaitble had nothing to do with technical issues and everything to do with the economics of mask ROM production. Every design on the SNES included functions to allow NES software to run. This is why it's one of the few notable products to use the 65816 processor other than the wretched Apple IIGS. (The SNES was a godsend for a lot of my former co-workers who were heavily invested in trying to code IIGS games.)

A console company's main reason for support software from an earlier system is too keep generating revenue from that software. This worked well on the PS2 because the PS1 was the first truly successful CD-based console. Optical media is cheap, can be produced in small numbers with no great cost penalty, and can be produced on very short notice. This makes it easy to micro-manage supply of PS1 games to the retail channel.

THe same couldn't be said for mask ROMs. They're much more costly, incur an unavoidable setup expense for each production run, and require long scheduling leads for ordering new stock. This is why so few SNES hits were ever given new production after the height of their popularity despite continuing strength in the second-hand market. With optical media you can go back for more with little delay if you underestimated a game's popularity. With ROMs you're screwed big-time if you make a major mistake in either direction.

THe two big exception in console history are the Power Base converter for the Sega Genesis and the GameBoy Advance. In Sega's case their concern was only partially offsetting their dearth of third-party support with access to the Master System library. It was also a matter of convincing retailers who were very unhappy about the piles of Master System games they had that had failed to sell. Sega needed to convince them that the Genesis would not only be a hit but would solve that inventory problem, too. Continued...

Sega's plan didn't work. The Genesis languished until four critical things happened. 1) Madden, 2) Sonic, 3) the settlement with NOA, 4) Nintendo being unable to meet demand for the SNES during its first Xmas season. These came together to give Sega the critical installed base to get some serious momentum in the market.

Making the GBA backward compatible was a no-brainer. The #1 driving force of the GameBoy remained the Pokemon franchise. A GBA that didn't play the existing Pokemon games would be horribly handicapped. The tiny ROM size of the Pokemon games (by modern standards) along with sufficient demand to qualify large production runs kept GBC Pokemon viable as ongoing products until GBA versions could take over. The new Nintendo DS will notably include GBA compatibility to give it a massive built-in library while developers get up to speed on the new system.

I've little doubt that the GameCube would have had less difficulty building its market if the N64 had been CD-ROM based and thus had a library that lent itself to continuing life on the GameCube.

[quote name='Machine']NES - SNES - N64 - GC = No backwards compatibility

This is incorrect. Sega's Power Base Converter provided backward compatibility from the Genesis to the Master System for reason stated in my previous posts.

There was less to the PBC than most people thought. The Genesis had been designed with most of the needed hardware already on hand with it's Z80 audio controller doubling as Master Sysatem CPU when the occasion required.

Was the PBC ever packaged with the Genesis? Having a peripheral that adds backward compatibility is not the same as having it built into the unit.

GBA and PS2 are the only ones I can think of that have been backwards compatible. Would it be nice? Yes. Is it a big deal? I don't think so. It's just another excuse for the haters to criticize MS. How come Nintendo doesn't get criticized for the same shaq-fu'ing thing?

HEY, don't forget about the Atari 7800 ! It was bacward compatible with the 2600.

[quote name='Machine']Was the PBC ever packaged with the Genesis? Having a peripheral that adds backward compatibility is not the same as having it built into the unit.[/quote]

THere were bundles but considering how inexpensive the PBC was ($40 IIRC) it offered very little price resistance to those interested in the MAster System library. That turned out to be dismayingly few for Sega's purposes. Which worked in my favor later on.

I had a great side business going for a while connecting Game Gear owners to Master System games. This was before SEga gave in and released their official product to use MS carts on the Game Gear. Not too many people knew the third party converters existed. For the prupose of assembling a fairly complete Master System Library I was buying whole colelctions, including hardware, from people looking to get a 16-bit system. So I had a LOT of duplicates, even of the rarer titles. At the same time TRU was starting to blow out MS games at $3. So I would run an ad in the local free classified offering GG games for sale. When they'd come to my house I'd show them the Master Gear Converter and the massive library potential this added. Even in the case of Master System games that had been released in GG form I could offer the MS cart much cheaper than the GG carts retail price.

I made a lot of GG owners happy and helped TRU clear out the stuff Sega couldn't.

[quote name='bmulligan']

HEY, don't forget about the Atari 7800 ! It was bacward compatible with the 2600.[/quote]

True in a technical sense but it hardly adds anything to the discussion beause the product was so badly handled that it never had any actual chance of competing in the market. If it had been released in 1984 as originally intended it would have made life very hard for NOA. The hardware could run rings around the NES but after sitting in a warehouse for several years before it was finally released only the meagerest budgets existed for new development beyond the Atari franchises and nearly all of the produced titles were mediocre at best.

Hell yes it's important because they can't make systems like they used to and they shit out, so the games need to be playable on the next gen systems

To answer the question:
backwards compatibility isn't really important to me. In 6 months of having a PS2, I have played a PS1 game exactly once, and that was because I wanted to play a game with my dad that he could play [Hot Shots Golf.]
I do have a few PS1 games in my stack of PS2 games to replay/finish eventually [FFT and Arc the Lad collection], but I've got so many PS2 games to play, they're not at the top of the list. Plus, when I get a new toy, I get 'new toy syndrome' and sort of move to the new format.
I *like* that the PS2 is backwards compatible, and I can see it being a big deal around launch time and for the first year or so, but I see its importance lessening as its lifespan goes on, and as people have the console longer.

Yes it is important to me. I have a Japanese PS2 and I can now play all the great Japanese PS1 games I missed out on as well as the Japanese PS2 games without having to buy a Japanese PS1.

And I still buy plenty of Gameboy Color games (especially when TRU had that $2.48 sale last year)since I know I can play them on my Gameboy Advance.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']if the ps3 isnt backward compatible, sony will forever have made the retarded decision in the world[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='jimbodan']Not that Microsoft cares one bit, but if the X-Box Next isn't backwards compatible the odds of me buying one before the price hits rock bottom are slim to none.[/quote]

True.

Especially if it as big (or bigger) than the Xbox. I'll most likely buy the Nintendo and Sony ones anyway. At least those are smaller.

I would like to have xbox 2 play xbox games but I would hate the idea of losing all my save files on my xbox. It would amazing it there was a way to move your xbox HD files to an xbox 2. But I don't think MS is going to let us.

There is a very simple means to transport saves from the Xbox hard drive. Memory cards. If Xbox 2 were to be backward compatible it would also have to support the existing memory cards. It's a small price to pay for the portability.

Microsoft could easily offer another route for Xbox Live subscribers by uploading all of their save data and then downloading it to the new machine. There are a lot of big plans for expanding Xbox Live. This sort of tool would be a minor thing to implement.

Yeah, the only reason that I made my final choice to buy my PS2 was b/c it could play my old PS games. If the PS3 isn't backward compatible, I won't buy it for awhile. As for the next Nintedo system, i'll get it regardless of compatability. Yah, I'm a fan boy :)

the video game industry is kind of funny when compared to the other entertainment secotrs (and even pc games for that matter) as it continually shuns its backlist. Backwards compatibility is a nonissue for dvd's because instead of trying to somehow manage vhs playback, the videos were just re-released on dvd. The same with records/tapes/8-tracks to cd. But with video games, there is resistance to rereleasing games on the next gen system- thus a need for bc in some minds. This resistance stems from a number of issues- the perception that older games do not have the same inherent value as older music/movies/books- possibly because of the dependence on graphics; the resistance towards repaying for something you had previously bought; the relationship between software and hardware - imagine for example if the movie industry still had to deal with a vhs/beta split (or the current dvd audio battle).
For a number of classic games I would love to be able to play them on current systems- most pointedly so if they were online enabled when re-released, classics such as street fighter 2 or mario kart 64 rather than busting out the old 64 or snes. In the same breath, I am happy with collections of the past, such as the recent mega man one, which is superior to a half dozen cartridges lying around even if a cartridge was still backwards compatible to my current system. The video game backlist is a wicked beast at the moment, nowhere being used to its full potential and frustratingly abandonded during every generation upgrade.

bread's done
Back