Help Me Out With Some Music Recommendations....

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for some Irish Rock/Punk music specifically. I'm a huge fan of Flogging Molly, but can't seem to find anyone else that is similiar yet different enough. Whipping Boy is an Irish band and I like them as well, but not on the level of Flogging Molly.

Oh and I don't count bands like Dropkick Murphys as true Irish Punk/Rock as putting a couple of bag pipes to an American Rock band does not solicit me calling them a real Irish band.

And please no flaming in this thread or anyone saying I have crappy taste in music as I fucking don't care what those types of people have to say and they really ought to not care enough.

dragonforce is english... they play fast... really really really fast...

dragonforce.gif

I love Flogging Molly. Its almost a year to the day that I saw them live in Philly. It was crazy. It was an awesome combination of the fact that they are one of the best live acts ever and that I was Guinness drunk. And they saved my favorite drinking song for last ... Salty Dog!

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I'm looking for some Irish Rock/Punk music specifically. I'm a huge fan of Flogging Molly, but can't seem to find anyone else that is similiar yet different enough. Whipping Boy is an Irish band and I like them as well, but not on the level of Flogging Molly.

Oh and I don't count bands like Dropkick Murphys as true Irish Punk/Rock as putting a couple of bag pipes to an American Rock band does not solicit me calling them a real Irish band.

And please no flaming in this thread or anyone saying I have crappy taste in music as I fucking don't care what those types of people have to say and they really ought to not care enough.[/QUOTE]
Well, it's probably safe to assume you already got them, but The Pogues for sure, if you don't.

edit: though, I don't know if I'd call them punk on the whole.

[quote name='jmcc']Well, it's probably safe to assume you already got them, but The Pogues for sure, if you don't.

edit: though, I don't know if I'd call them punk on the whole.[/quote]

The Pogues for sure! I think they're plenty punk.

Shit, anything with Shane MacGowen is gold, but I'm particularly fond of the "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" album.

The Waterboys and The Tossers are pretty good.

There's a whole website dedicated to Irish music here. It will give you a complete listing of all irish punk and rock.

[quote name='1modernboy']The Pogues for sure! I think they're plenty punk.

Shit, anything with Shane MacGowen is gold, but I'm particularly fond of the "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" album.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's my favorite album of theirs, too. I'm not really an Irish music guy, despite being a big mick, but hell if "Bottle of Smoke" isn't one of the best rowdy songs ever.

[quote name='levi333']I dont know how well known the site is, but check out www.pandora.com
Its pretty cool, found a few bands i like with it.[/quote]
Yaeh, I know about that site. I actually posted about them on CAG not too long ago. I go there from time to time. The only thing is that I'll put in a band I like and it will come out with bands that don't even sound similiar or in the same genre sometimes. Very random at times. Like now, I hadn't thought about it until you reminded me, but I put in Flogging Molly and most of the bands that came up sounded more like punk, and don't have similiar music or anything. I think the way that Pandora brings you music is more by the description of the band than of how the band sounds. Case in point, the way they describe Flogging Molly, while some of it true is, some band with repetitve choruses or something like that and it practically made them sound like any ol' band. And Only the last band on there, The Pogues, even came close to what I was after and Flogging Molly.

Oh, and usually I feel that it is better to ask on a board such as CAG for music or movies, as in general they members tend to have better information than sites such as that. I'd rather be informed by a someone or a community than from reviews, sites, etc. I'm having a hard time writing my point across, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Oh and I know of another site similiar to Pandora and I think it is something like last.fm or something like that.

[quote name='1modernboy']The Pogues for sure! I think they're plenty punk.

Shit, anything with Shane MacGowen is gold, but I'm particularly fond of the "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" album.[/quote]
Wow, I have heard that band name plenty of time around the boards and sites, but never though tthey were like Flogging Molly or Irish Punk or anything. I'm definitely picking up an album of their's now. Thanks guys and keep em coming please.

[quote name='Blade']The Waterboys and The Tossers are pretty good.

There's a whole website dedicated to Irish music here. It will give you a complete listing of all irish punk and rock.[/quote]

umm...I wouldn't go as far as saying a complete listing as Flogging Molly isn't even on that list. It is very comprehensive though. Let me ask you guys a question though, my friend told me that a band (I can't remember their name exactly) that sounded like something like The Turtles was a very Flogging Molly-ish type of band. Anyone know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='iheartmetal']dragonforce is english... they play fast... really really really fast...

dragonforce.gif
[/QUOTE]
Dragonforce is power metal though...

[quote name='Oktoberfest']Dragonforce is power metal though...[/QUOTE]

Yaeh I thought they were akin to Rhapsody (another awesome band)

[quote name='iheartmetal']dragonforce is english... they play fast... really really really fast...

dragonforce.gif
[/QUOTE]

HOLY SHIT.

I just downloaded "Fury of the Storm" and I'm in shock at how fast this is.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']umm...I wouldn't go as far as saying a complete listing as Flogging Molly isn't even on that list. It is very comprehensive though. Let me ask you guys a question though, my friend told me that a band (I can't remember their name exactly) that sounded like something like The Turtles was a very Flogging Molly-ish type of band. Anyone know what I'm talking about.[/quote]

Oh, yeah, sorry. I meant they give a complete list of all unsigned bands. Sometimes that's where the talent is, because they haven't had a chance to sell out yet.

I'm not sure what band you're talking about...

OK, The Pogues are freakin awesome. Very similiar to Flogging Molly but with a sound akin to their own. And Dragonforce, well wow just wow. Very cool stuff. Come on guys, some more recommendations.

bread's done
Back