'You Got A Killer Scene There, Man...' -- What's your local music "scene"?

D

Dick Tracy

What's your local music "scene" like? I don't listen to any of it, personally, but I am aware of a few of the bands in my town -- all absolute garbage.

Way too much metal, screamo and "punk"... and these assholes.

Too bad all I can play is the trumpet... (which I think I forgot how to play).

The scene in Tyler, Texas when I was younger was awesome. One of my favorite memories was seeing the Impossibles the first time they donned their jerseys.

local music scene? Ha. That doesn't exist around here. I have to drive many miles away just to see a halfway decent band anymore.

There are too many old people with old money to have a decent "scene". A city ordinance was just passed prohibiting anyone under 21 from being in a bar/club/whatever that sells alcohol. Now, this usually isn't a big deal, but since members of bands are often under 21, they can no longer play in these venues. Not only does a venue loose half the target audience of most of the bands, but they also lose the bands themselves thanks to this new ordinance.

There's a lot of accoustic stuff around here. Just walk around cambridge and boston for a bit and you'll run into them, either on the street or in coffee houses and/or bars.

I'm in Austin the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capital of the World." I don't know if that's true, but we do have an absolutely shitload of live music here of all varieties and some great festivals (Austin City Limits festival and SXSW).

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I don't know many local acts besides Tech N9ne, The Get Up Kids, and Ghosty. I'm sure most of them are absolute shit.[/QUOTE]

The Get Up Kids broke up.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']The scene in NJ is all screamo and hardcore bands. Therefore I never go to any local shows.[/quote]

QFT. I haven't really been to any local shows in a few years...

[quote name='secretvampire']I'm in Austin the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capital of the World." I don't know if that's true, but we do have an absolutely shitload of live music here of all varieties and some great festivals (Austin City Limits festival and SXSW).[/QUOTE]

Ditto. We have the best city for live music on the face of the planet.

chicago-- a lot of everything
madison-- a little bit of everything

Mine is a mix of hard metal and rap. Everyone wants out of this state. :lol:

By the way, my friend's music is currently leading to be featured in the video game for Scarface. Pretty cool.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That doesn't change the fact that they were from the area. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I know..I'm just saying. I guess you could include their side bands: Reggie and the Full effect & The New Amsterdams.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I don't know many local acts besides Tech N9ne, The Get Up Kids, and Ghosty. I'm sure most of them are absolute shit.[/QUOTE]

A friend I know loves Tech N9ne... then again, he also loves ICP. So did a girl I was seeing.

Man, the ICP camp of music sucks.

bread's done
Back