Why is Chinese food so quick to make?

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
So we are ordering chinese food over the phone and the lady says 10 mins, granted it takes with traffic roughly 10 mins to get from there to my house but how the hell are they cooking it so fast? and dont tell me they have everything frozen and nuked in 1 min.

The meat and vegetables are cut small ... so they cook fairly quickly. And the rice is taken from a rice cooker that does nothing but churn out fluffy yummy rice all day long.

Fried rice (and similar dishes) often take about a minute. I always order plain fried rice with egg and they screw it up a lot, so I've seen them make another one many times.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Fried rice (and similar dishes) often take about a minute. I always order plain fried rice with egg and they screw it up a lot, so I've seen them make another one many times.[/QUOTE]

how can they screw up something that simple? my guess they are chuming out rice like crazy and just add whatever to it to darken it :|

[quote name='ITDEFX']how can they screw up something that simple? my guess they are chuming out rice like crazy and just add whatever to it to darken it :|[/quote]

Because it's not a normal order. I often end up with vegetable fried rice, sometimes even pork fried rice. The main one I go to immediately knows the order is for me (whether I'm the one calling or not) when I ask for that type of fried rice. If I go to a place that doesn't know me I often have to repeatedly explain what I want, otherwise it usually comes out wrong.

I hate the sprouts and all the other stuff, and it's a hassle to pick them out. I don't eat meat so I definately can't eat the other common screw up, pork.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Because it's not a normal order. I often end up with vegetable fried rice, sometimes even pork fried rice. The main one I go to immediately knows the order is for me (whether I'm the one calling or not) when I ask for that type of fried rice. If I go to a place that doesn't know me I often have to repeatedly explain what I want, otherwise it usually comes out wrong.

I hate the sprouts and all the other stuff, and it's a hassle to pick them out. I don't eat meat so I definately can't eat the other common screw up, pork.[/QUOTE]

well that sucks..do they give you a discount or a break for all those screw ups?

It'll take about 15 mins to cook rice. Any sauce on food is premade before the place opens. Anything fried is usually done in a big wok and truly they're not fried (though the heavy amounts of oil would suggest otherwise) but they are more seared (crispy outside, pinkish-brown inside) and as said before, the pieces are quite small so it takes less time for it to be seared. Same with fried rice. Fried rice is at its basic soy sauce and rice. Add whatever ingredients you want while it's being tossed about in the wok.

I actually find the topic of this thread to be quite humorous, because I consider traditional chinese recipes to be much more of a hassle (almost to a ridiculous degree) than most Western recipes. As a child, I remember watching my Mom prepare ingredients in the morning (if not the evening before) for that night's dinner and asking her on multiple occasions why such elaborate preparations were necessary. She would usually shrug it off as a necessary part of the recipe.

What most Americans consider "chinese food" is often that which was first introduced by manual laborers from a bygone era: chow mein, lo mein, fried rice, etc. These "dishes" typically occupied the bottom rung of Eastern cuisine. Imagine traveling abroad and finding out that "American food" was represented by macaroni & cheese and breakfast cereals in some other country...and them wondering why it is that American food is so darn fast to prepare. Hee hee!

...of course, the origin of "needlessly" complex recipes in chinese cuisine was a cultural hang-up: it kept the women busy as a part of repressing their role in daily life to non-essentials. :whistle2:$

They cut everything small so it has larger surface area and will cook quicker. Depending on the quality of the Chinese place you are eating at, Sauces are either canned sauces or in the morning before opening.
The rice is cooked in rice makers.

So lets say you order 2 spring rolls and a order of General tso chicken.
They drop the spring rolls in a deep fryer for a few minutes.
Then chicken then gets deep fried. (Again the smaller pieces the more surface area they quicker it cooks. So they) deep fry lets say 8 mins. (Again depending on the quality of the place its either pre-boxed, pre-fried, then refried or reheated in a deep fryer. If a nicer place its cooked in a wok with oil)

Then they heat some sauce while the chicken is frying.
They toss the chicken in the warm sauce and package it for you to take home and enjoy.

[quote name='RBM']I actually find the topic of this thread to be quite humorous, because I consider traditional chinese recipes to be much more of a hassle (almost to a ridiculous degree) than most Western recipes. As a child, I remember watching my Mom prepare ingredients in the morning (if not the evening before) for that night's dinner and asking her on multiple occasions why such elaborate preparations were necessary. She would usually shrug it off as a necessary part of the recipe.
What most Americans consider "chinese food" is often that which was first introduced by manual laborers from a bygone era: chow mein, lo mein, fried rice, etc. These "dishes" typically occupied the bottom rung of Eastern cuisine. Imagine traveling abroad and finding out that "American food" was represented by macaroni & cheese and breakfast cereals in some other country...and them wondering why it is that American food is so darn fast to prepare. Hee hee![/QUOTE]

This can be said for any "ethnic" food we eat. Our Mexican food is really tex-mex, Japanese, Thai, etc food is Americanized to a degree. No matter what you eat, in this country its going to have an American flair. Just like if you would eat at the Japanese Denny's its not going to be true American food. http://www.dennys.co.jp/dj/menu/g_index.html

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Nah, they just make it again.[/QUOTE]

I have one thing to ask though..? You hate the sprouts and stuff, but you don't eat meat either..?

I was just curious. I usually ask for the same thing you ask, mostly because I don't eat vegetables. I typically ask the places I frequent to cook the rice with the vegetables whole [not chopped up] and to put a little more soy and egg in it. Most usually have an idea of what I do: at a very high scale Chinese restaurant I went to, fried rice was over simple [white rice lightly fried with egg and soy]

Speaking of American Chinese restaurant dishes? What are some of your favorites?

Mine?

Orange chicken
Korean BBQ chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Szechuan chicken
Pepper beef
Sweet and Sour Beef [yeah, this one is hard to find, most places do pork and chicken]
Mandarin Shrimp
Royale Delight Fried Rice [shrimp, beef, crab, chicken, pork, over fried rice]

Granted, probably none of these are "authentic Chinese cuisine" but quite honestly, as much as I love Chen Kenichi, most of the traditional Chinese dishes on Iron Chef look like crap...

With the exception of prawns in chili sauce, I'd kill to eat that, but everything else look like wimpy appetizers with no real substance to them

[quote name='sarausagi']Speaking of American Chinese restaurant dishes? What are some of your favorites?

Mine?

Orange chicken
Korean BBQ chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Szechuan chicken
Pepper beef
Sweet and Sour Beef [yeah, this one is hard to find, most places do pork and chicken]
Mandarin Shrimp
Royale Delight Fried Rice [shrimp, beef, crab, chicken, pork, over fried rice]

Granted, probably none of these are "authentic Chinese cuisine" but quite honestly, as much as I love Chen Kenichi, most of the traditional Chinese dishes on Iron Chef look like crap...

With the exception of prawns in chili sauce, I'd kill to eat that, but everything else look like wimpy appetizers with no real substance to them[/QUOTE]

orange chicken is amazing... and oddly enough walmart sells a frozen orange chicken in a box that is to die for, and cheap!

[quote name='Graystone']Isn't Iron Chef from Japan?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but one of the Iron Chef is Iron Chef Chinese Chen Kenichi

And there are several Chinese chef [some actually from China, lots from Japan too] that are challengers

It's not the Iron Chef food is "weird", some of the stuff made on it is VERY good, but the excess amount of sashimi dishes, the exaggerated use of soft roe, and the "girly" food they make...

I mean, seriously, one day Michibi or dare I say it Kobe should have slapped down a huge slab of kobe beef, grilled it to perfection, and served it with fried rice, broad noodles, and shrimp tempura. And he could have served it with a coke too.

[quote name='Graystone']Isn't Iron Chef from Japan?[/quote]

Chen Kenichi is the "Iron Chef Chinese" on the Japanese show. He cookes in a Japanese/Chinese style.

omg this topic is da bomb tonight lol.

who the hell knew that posting a topic like this on a cheap ass forum would have good results. Must be a lot of people here who have relatives or know someone who actually runs a chinese take out and knows there shit.

for some reason, im hooked on sweet and sour chicken, ever since i was a kid, its been SSC, when I look at a menu, its SSC for me...it was not til the last 5 years that i started trying out stuff like General Tso's Chicken, egg drop soup (you can thank doctor flox for that :p) fried/cooked wongton with that sauce.

what ever they put in that sweet and sour sauce is very addicting.

[quote name='sarausagi']I have one thing to ask though..? You hate the sprouts and stuff, but you don't eat meat either..?

I was just curious. I usually ask for the same thing you ask, mostly because I don't eat vegetables. I typically ask the places I frequent to cook the rice with the vegetables whole [not chopped up] and to put a little more soy and egg in it. Most usually have an idea of what I do: at a very high scale Chinese restaurant I went to, fried rice was over simple [white rice lightly fried with egg and soy][/quote]

Well, I like mushrooms, zuchini, broccoli (if its soft, a lot of times it's undercooked), summer squash, bamboo shoots etc. I like carrots raw (with yellow mustard), but not in dishes. I don't like most of the vegetables that get thrown into every cheap asian dishes (prepared this way anyway), like chives, sprouts, peppers etc.. I'm vegetarian because I don't eat meat, but I don't overload on vegetables either. I eat various types of pasta the most.

[quote name='ITDEFX']omg this topic is da bomb tonight lol.

who the hell knew that posting a topic like this on a cheap ass forum would have good results. Must be a lot of people here who have relatives or know someone who actually runs a chinese take out and knows there shit.

for some reason, im hooked on sweet and sour chicken, ever since i was a kid, its been SSC, when I look at a menu, its SSC for me...it was not til the last 5 years that i started trying out stuff like General Tso's Chicken, egg drop soup (you can thank doctor flox for that :p) fried/cooked wongton with that sauce.

what ever they put in that sweet and sour sauce is very addicting.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, sweet and sour is the best. I grew up on it and my parents thought I'd grow into more "mature" choices [because sweet and sour chicken is what most kids eat because it's like softer chicken nuggets] but I love it

The sauce is great because at least from the way I make it...

sugar [white and brown]
honey
ginger
sesame oil
bonito shavings
garlic
salt
vinegar
water

but the bonito shavings are the key part, they're what give it the red color and the special taste

you can also but some bell pepper in it, some people leave it in, i take it out when the sauce is cooked

im still trying to figure out two things..

since I can't eat it all in one sitting and leave it for the next day..

how the hell do i keep there rice from getting all hard and dry?

AND

how the hell do I keep that Sweet and Sour sauce from turning into jello?

both of these goes into the fridge... recooking them after its been in the fridge doesn't help restore it back to its fresh flavor :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']im still trying to figure out two things..

since I can't eat it all in one sitting and leave it for the next day..

how the hell do i keep there rice from getting all hard and dry?

AND

how the hell do I keep that Sweet and Sour sauce from turning into jello?

both of these goes into the fridge... recooking them after its been in the fridge doesn't help restore it back to its fresh flavor :([/QUOTE]

There's nothing you can do about the rice in the fridge...all I can say is try a drop of vinegar and some soy when you recook it...if it is white rice, then fry it yourself and it should get better

As for the sweet and sour sauce, it shouldn't become jello..which means they probably make it thicker with corn starch and pineapple jell-o mix. Cheaper chinese food places either serve premade [grocery store type] sweet and sour sauce or skimp on ingredients and make up for the flavor with the pineapple powder and make it thicker by adding the starch.

[quote name='sarausagi']As for the sweet and sour sauce, it shouldn't become jello..which means they probably make it thicker with corn starch and pineapple jell-o mix. Cheaper chinese food places either serve premade [grocery store type] sweet and sour sauce or skimp on ingredients and make up for the flavor with the pineapple powder and make it thicker by adding the starch.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO THOSE BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONES GONNA DIE VIA CHOP STICKS!

oh one time this place we always order from well they gave us sauce (SASS) that was quite watery, put it into the fridge, and the next day, it was still watery.........yay!! :)

I've got a question for the chi-food experts here. I order szechuan beef and always ask for spicey but It never comes spicey enough. Is there a special way to order it ?

My wife used to work in an indian restaurant and you specifically had to order food "indian hot" to get it spicey because americans can't normally handle very spicey dishes and have no concept of truly hot food. I was just wondering if there was an industry term for "I'm a dumb american who likes it hot" ?

My mom has a bunch of friends who own Chinese restaurants and like everyone else has said, the food is in small pieces so it's easy to cook. If there is anything that requires a lot of work to be made (sauces, wontons, etc.), these are usually made in advanced and depending on the food, it may be kept in the freezer until needed. Basically, when you order the food, it just needs to be cooked and there is little preparation that is needed.

I hate the rice from Chinese restaurants. They usually buy the cheap rice bags so the rice doesn't have much taste to it. My family buys the expensive rice bags and, if it's during the new harvest season, we're more than willing to shell out some extra money to buy the new harvest rice. The rice is more gooey (even if you don't add extra water) and there is more flavor to it. It depends on the person though, my relatives like the rice dry so they age their rice. Then again, most people can't tell the difference and customers don't go to Chinese restaurants specifically for the rice so they have good reason to buy cheap rice.

I don't really understand people who can eat at places like Panda Express; my family used to drive once a week to a place 45 minutes away that had the best authentic Chinese food and we'd have to wait for around 1-2 hours before we'd get a seat. We would be like the only non-Chinese people there too, lol.

[quote name='ITDEFX']well that sucks..do they give you a discount or a break for all those screw ups?[/QUOTE]
A discount on fried rice? It's like 95 cent for a gallon. And yes, I said gallon lol.

Oh c'mon guys, the clear answer to "Why is Chinese food so quick to make?" is obviously "Because of it's cat-like quickness."

[quote name='shipwreck']Oh c'mon guys, the clear answer to "Why is Chinese food so quick to make?" is obviously "Because of it's cat-like quickness."[/QUOTE]

You know what they say about Chinese food ...

It always lands on its feet :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']now who made up this lame ass joke? what do cats have to do with chinese food?[/QUOTE]

It started back in the day when Chinese immigrants, moved to NY and opened their restaurants. It was said that the food was cat cause some of it was, very little. Also there was lots of stray cats (& other stray animals) around that time.

Since Chinese do eat cats on very rare ocassions and very little themselves. It just turned into what it is today.

[quote name='Graystone']It started back in the day when Chinese immigrants, moved to NY and opened their restaurants. It was said that the food was cat cause some of it was, very little. Also there was lots of stray cats (& other stray animals) around that time.

Since Chinese do eat cats on very rare ocassions and very little themselves. It just turned into what it is today.[/QUOTE]

O.O
-----

[quote name='Graystone']This can be said for any "ethnic" food we eat. Our Mexican food is really tex-mex, Japanese, Thai, etc food is Americanized to a degree. No matter what you eat, in this country its going to have an American flair. Just like if you would eat at the Japanese Denny's its not going to be true American food. http://www.dennys.co.jp/dj/menu/g_index.html[/quote]

Agreed. Go into the 'Italian' section of any grocery store and marvel at all the spaghetti and tomato sauce. A far, far cry from the real cooking of the peninsula.

[quote name='ITDEFX']now who made up this lame ass joke? what do cats have to do with chinese food?[/QUOTE]

I've said this before, but if you go to China, remember that the Cantonese will eat just about any animal. Cat, rat, monkey; whatever.

Reality's Fringe]I've said this before said:
ok now see i don't mind that statement there as third world countries will find ways to figure out what part of the animal to eat just to live. Heck my grandmother, and parents still eat things like liver, tounge and something called "Sopa de mondongo"(sp?) which from what I understand translates to sheep/cow stomach. I cannot tolerate the smell of it therefor I can't even get close to the taste therefor I wont eat it.

Im sure being spoiled by american fast foods and so on will prevent me from eating what the "old folks" ate. Hell my ex use to rave how good pigs feet were and I use to get sick thinking about it. But of course being an eastern european mutt from Pennsivania parents , she could tolerate eating anything. Heck I was surprise when she agreed to try out some of the stuff I mentioned above when she came over for dinner. And no i didn't kiss her that night, who the hell wants to kiss someone who just ate some cow stomach :O

I think that the real question is how can Chinese-American restaurants literally have hundreds of items on their menu while inexpensive American take out places usually stick to a handful of things that are generally shipped to them ready to cook. A basic fast food salad takes all of about 5 minutes to prepare, for example, because the lettuce is prewashed and preshredded, the meat for a chef salad is already diced and can just be pulled out of the fridge and used as is, etc. etc.

Regarding the above posting, I am originally from PA and wouldn't think of touching something like pig's feet. Hunting is a big deal there, so you learn to eat deer meat, but it is not too exotic.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok now see i don't mind that statement there as third world countries will find ways to figure out what part of the animal to eat just to live. Heck my grandmother, and parents still eat things like liver, tounge and something called "Sopa de mondongo"(sp?) which from what I understand translates to sheep/cow stomach. I cannot tolerate the smell of it therefor I can't even get close to the taste therefor I wont eat it.

Im sure being spoiled by american fast foods and so on will prevent me from eating what the "old folks" ate. Hell my ex use to rave how good pigs feet were and I use to get sick thinking about it. But of course being an eastern european mutt from Pennsivania parents , she could tolerate eating anything. Heck I was surprise when she agreed to try out some of the stuff I mentioned above when she came over for dinner. And no i didn't kiss her that night, who the hell wants to kiss someone who just ate some cow stomach :O[/quote]

You've gotta get over your standard thinking and go outside your comfort zone. I myself am a product of both 3rd world (philippines) and American upbringing (chicago). As such, I've been able to sample things most average americans would never probably try in their lives such as dinaguan (pig's blood), chitlins (southern style pig intestines), and sushi. If you've read the sushi thread, you'll know I'm a frequent poster there extolling the greatness of sushi but it wasn't always the case. I hated sushi until I got into college where I was more openminded about what is and isn't edible. I've even eaten dog back in the philippines (shredded dog meat tastes surprisingly like pot roast) and cat (meat was gamey but had a salty meaty taste) in vietnam. And what was posted earlier was true - most of the 'chinese' fast food isn't even true chinese food. If you have any friends who are authentically chinese, ask them if you could eat dinner at their house. They will probably serve nothing you see at a fast food joint.

[quote name='daria19']I think that the real question is how can Chinese-American restaurants literally have hundreds of items on their menu while inexpensive American take out places usually stick to a handful of things that are generally shipped to them ready to cook. A basic fast food salad takes all of about 5 minutes to prepare, for example, because the lettuce is prewashed and preshredded, the meat for a chef salad is already diced and can just be pulled out of the fridge and used as is, etc. etc.

Regarding the above posting, I am originally from PA and wouldn't think of touching something like pig's feet. Hunting is a big deal there, so you learn to eat deer meat, but it is not too exotic.[/QUOTE]

I think it might have something to do with the fact that a number of the dishes that are served in places like Americanized Chinese places are over-lapping. Sure the sauces and such may not be the same, but the meat/rice/noodles, are used in a lot of them and only require a quick cook in something to make them: Desired Entree.

As for PA,, I suppose you're right, we'll eat almost anything here--- Christ my pap just gave me a couple packages of deer jerky.

I was born in the US but my parents taught me to eat things that most of my friends consider gross. If I didn't like something, they basically didn't give me anything else to eat besides that for a few days and when you're really hungry, you learn how to eat anything that's supposedly edable, hehe. I can eat the fertilized duck/chicken eggs (yum), pigs feet (damn there's a lot of fat), beef/pork tongue, mam tom (smells 1000 worse than nuoc mam), etc. It all depends on what you were raised on.

When I was in Asia, I couldn't bring myself to try dog. They killed a fat puppy (puppies taste the best) and it was so cute that I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I don't think people who eat things that are outside of my comfort zone are gross or uncivilized; hell, I know some people who consider hot dogs gross.

[quote name='vietgurl']hell, I know some people who consider hot dogs gross.[/QUOTE]

Count me in there. Now that I know of what, and how, Hot dogs are made I will not touch them. Same for bologna.

[quote name='jaykrue']You've gotta get over your standard thinking and go outside your comfort zone. I myself am a product of both 3rd world (philippines) and American upbringing (chicago). As such, I've been able to sample things most average americans would never probably try in their lives such as dinaguan (pig's blood), chitlins (southern style pig intestines), and sushi. If you've read the sushi thread, you'll know I'm a frequent poster there extolling the greatness of sushi but it wasn't always the case. I hated sushi until I got into college where I was more openminded about what is and isn't edible. I've even eaten dog back in the philippines (shredded dog meat tastes surprisingly like pot roast) and cat (meat was gamey but had a salty meaty taste) in vietnam. And what was posted earlier was true - most of the 'chinese' fast food isn't even true chinese food. If you have any friends who are authentically chinese, ask them if you could eat dinner at their house. They will probably serve nothing you see at a fast food joint.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there, i do believe that I long ago when I was a kid went over to a friends house for dinner and his family was korean and they didn't have chinese food as I would have thought. granted korean/chinese would be two diffrent, but similar in the asian branch.

When my ex and I were together, I did get to try out mushrooms, home made french onion soup, lobster tails for new years eve dinner, clam chower, oster stew. Oster stew had a taste that at first I was like oh yuck, but it wasn't too bad..took some time to get use to just like egg drop soup.

My family being latin american (costa rican/nicraguan) every day its rice and beans and whatever (chicken/meat)......just think rice and beans rice and beans every freaking day :|

bread's done
Back