Super Smash Bros. Melee - $19.98 at Wal-Mart B&M YMMV

Ender

CAGiversary!
Feedback
178 (100%)
I found SSBM at my local Wal-Mart for $19.98. They had a good 8-10 of them, and they were in the regular glass shelving, so it didn't look like any kind of weird clearance. They also had the regular price tag, stating it at $19.98. I snatched one up most heinously (obscure Bill & Ted reference).

I know a lot of us have been frustrated with this game, because it is a PC title, but sits at $30. Maybe this is a national change?

Hasn't this been a Player's Choice title for $20 for some time? Don't understand why people like this game anyway. OVERRATED

We were talking about this in an unrelated thread. It's still $30 everywhere else (that is, those that still have it).

I tried my wal-mart a couple weeks ago, and they didn't even have it in stock. God I hate that store...

My vote is also in the overrated column. Collecting the trophies was kind of fun, but it just seemed like a bunch of button mashing to me. Is there any more depth that I am overlooking?

I just bought it today, and I have yet to play it. However, the fact that it is the best-selling game of all time on the Gamecube speaks highly of it. Overrated? 6.6 million people might disagree with you. And we all know that a lack of depth does not a shitty game make. Just my 2 munny.

[quote name='the ender']I just bought it today, and I have yet to play it. However, the fact that it is the best-selling game of all time on the Gamecube speaks highly of it. Overrated? 6.6 million people might disagree with you. And we all know that a lack of depth does not a shitty game make. Just my 2 munny.[/quote]

to be fair, 2 of those 6.6 million were accidental purchases on my part.

The game has a ridiculous amount of depth if you can master it. Very difficult to take it to the pro national tournament level...and this is coming from a seasoned competitive soul cali player.

It been cleared out in my area and Louisville. Everybody BUT Wal-Mart has this game for $29.99.

Who knew the Lucifer of retailing would have the best price?

[quote name='scottman']My vote is also in the overrated column. Collecting the trophies was kind of fun, but it just seemed like a bunch of button mashing to me. Is there any more depth that I am overlooking?[/QUOTE]

Simple answer: yes.

My local Wal-Mart still has a WHOLE WALL of games ranging in prices from $14.88 to $19.82. They're all GH/PH/PC titles, really old titles, or crappy titles (like Drake which goes for $14.88). They also still have a TON of Final Fantasy: CC's (with GBA cord) for the GC on that wall for $19.82 each.

My question is does everyone have a wall of crap like my WAL-MART or is this YMMV? I'm wondering what they're going to do with all these games after about another year or so of them sitting on the shelf collecting dust and when they might actually drop their prices for these games down below $10? BTW, my Wally World is still selling Geist (GC) for $49.82 which is disgusting!

This is the WAL-MART in Scarborough, ME which I am talking about. It's the one right by the Maine Mall.

[quote name='scottman']My vote is also in the overrated column. Collecting the trophies was kind of fun, but it just seemed like a bunch of button mashing to me. Is there any more depth that I am overlooking?[/QUOTE]

uh....did you play the multiplayer? There is a HUGE community for the series, especially for it being a console only game.

While I was at Wal-mart, I saw a row of Ephemeral Fantasias, priced at $49.9x. Isn't this game like 3-4 years old? Why such a high price?

[quote name='SkyGheNe']to be fair, 2 of those 6.6 million were accidental purchases on my part.

The game has a ridiculous amount of depth if you can master it. Very difficult to take it to the pro national tournament level...and this is coming from a seasoned competitive soul cali player.[/QUOTE]

So how do you purchase a game accidently let alone twice? lol

SC's along the same lines where anyone came pick it up, wail on the controller and have a decent time. By the same turn though you put an expert player against them and there wouldn't even be a contest.

[quote name='3QGojo']My question is does everyone have a wall of crap like my WAL-MART or is this YMMV? I'm wondering what they're going to do with all these games after about another year or so of them sitting on the shelf collecting dust and when they might actually drop their prices for these games down below $10?[/QUOTE]

Well Walmart from what I understand is run like no other chain in that the manager of each store is able to set prices and such largely to their own discretion along corporate guidelines. With sales there's no gurauntee from one store to the next that it will be the same let alone participating.

[quote name='3QGojo']My local Wal-Mart still has a WHOLE WALL of games ranging in prices from $14.88 to $19.82. They're all GH/PH/PC titles, really old titles, or crappy titles (like Drake which goes for $14.88). They also still have a TON of Final Fantasy: CC's (with GBA cord) for the GC on that wall for $19.82 each.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you, you get a wall. At the Wally World I frequent, we get a gigantic bin where everything's shoved in carelessly and noone wants to dig through. And they're even smart enough to throw in the paper-thin GBA boxes too! On the bright side of things, I did manage to find Ikaruga in there for $15... and it made me smile.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Lucky you, you get a wall. At the Wally World I frequent, we get a gigantic bin where everything's shoved in carelessly and noone wants to dig through. And they're even smart enough to throw in the paper-thin GBA boxes too! On the bright side of things, I did manage to find Ikaruga in there for $15... and it made me smile.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't always a wall though...for the longest time it was a huge disaster area bin like you just described...only about a month or so ago they decided to clean it up and make the big wall (with multiple rows behind each other on the shelf). So you still can't see most of the games but at least it looks nicer.

bread's done
Back