Question for you eBay-aholics

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I have been scrounging the globe for a premium 360 bundle for the past few weeks. This past week I ended up emailing a few people that live in my area to see if they would sell out of auction... the first guy sounded shady... He said in the auction that if you use BIN he'll do free shipping. I asked if he'd drop the price to $450 and I'll pick it up. He said yeah, but he wanted me to use the BIN and then pay him the entire amount ($500+$46 S/H) and then he'll pay me back the difference when I pick it up... which makes no sense to me at all, so I passed...

The guy I emailed today said he'd accept my offer but I had to transfer the Paypal funds to him before I picked up the system, and there is no original store receipt (he said the consoles are straight from the manufacturer). I was hoping for a cash transaction, but I guess the limited Paypal protection wouldn't be a bad idea...

Is it worth it to deal with transactions this big on eBay? I just don't wanna get burned here somehow....

[quote name='Diiz']I have been scrounging the globe for a premium 360 bundle for the past few weeks. This past week I ended up emailing a few people that live in my area to see if they would sell out of auction... the first guy sounded shady... He said in the auction that if you use BIN he'll do free shipping. I asked if he'd drop the price to $450 and I'll pick it up. He said yeah, but he wanted me to use the BIN and then pay him the entire amount ($500+$46 S/H) and then he'll pay me back the difference when I pick it up... which makes no sense to me at all, so I passed...

The guy I emailed today said he'd accept my offer but I had to transfer the Paypal funds to him before I picked up the system, and there is no original store receipt (he said the consoles are straight from the manufacturer). I was hoping for a cash transaction, but I guess the limited Paypal protection wouldn't be a bad idea...

Is it worth it to deal with transactions this big on eBay? I just don't wanna get burned here somehow....[/QUOTE]

Its okay to deal with ebay on large transactions. They only screw the seller when something goes wrong. I would go with the first guy and I would paypal him the money right before you went to his house to pick it up. If anything goes wrong you know were they live.

Well, I woulda gone with the first guy, but it just seemed like an absurd way of going about the transaction... why Paypal him, and then have him pay me back the difference? It makes more sense for me to just Paypal what I needed to... I proposed that idea and never heard back from him.

The guy I've been talking to today apparently has 8 Xbox360's to unload, but wants me to purchase the 360 by using the BIN on his iPod auction so he doesn't have to relist the XBox (not my fault he didn't list it as a multi-quantity auction in the first place). I essentially told him no, and that the only way I would go through with the sale was through the 360 auction.... still waiting for his reply.

Why are all these 360 resellers such screwballs?

The only way I would buy a system like a 360 off of EBay is if you can pay with a credit card through Paypal, even if you pick it up from the seller. That way you have at least another recourse if you got burned.

Yeah I will definitely only go through Paypal now... I got a reply from the guy now... he is basically cancelling our deal because he doesn't want to pay to list the auction again... seriously, what the hell? :lol:

[quote name='dmes65']Why not wait and get one in april. Eb said there getting in a huge shipment.[/QUOTE]

From all that I've seen, EB is only offering those ridiculous bundles with games that I don't want...

[quote name='dmes65']Why not wait and get one in april. Eb said there getting in a huge shipment.[/QUOTE]

True these are becoming more widely available now. I think the problem OP is having is you are asking for people to cancel their auction and let you buy something. Why not just bid on stuff or BIN like ebay is supposed to work. These people still want you to go through ebay and paypal so they have protection. Also they have to pay listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees. Essentially what your are doing is against ebay and this makes sellers leary of you.

[quote name='Diiz']From all that I've seen, EB is only offering those ridiculous bundles with games that I don't want...[/QUOTE]

If you go to a store they have the systems by themselves

[quote name='Diiz']From all that I've seen, EB is only offering those ridiculous bundles with games that I don't want...[/QUOTE]

If you go to a store they have the systems by themselves.

[quote name='Graystone']True these are becoming more widely available now. I think the problem OP is having is you are asking for people to cancel their auction and let you buy something. Why not just bid on stuff or BIN like ebay is supposed to work. These people still want you to go through ebay and paypal so they have protection. Also they have to pay listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees. Essentially what your are doing is against ebay and this makes sellers leary of you.[/quote]

Errrmm... no. I wanted to go through eBay. This last guy wanted me to buy his 360, but use the BIN on his iPod auction so that he didn't have to relist his next 360...

If you go to a store they have the systems by themselves

Just for kicks I called like 6 stores in my area and none of them are taking pre-orders on the 360s anymore... this is so lame.

[quote name='Diiz']Errrmm... no. I wanted to go through eBay. This last guy wanted me to buy his 360, but use the BIN on his iPod auction so that he didn't have to relist his next 360...[/QUOTE]

I thik you misunderstood me. I was saying by not bidding on auctions your not going through ebay. You are emailing people and asking will you lower the price and can I pick it up. Thats not using ebay IMO. I wasn't trying to be a dick BTW, I was/am just saying.

[quote name='Graystone']I thik you misunderstood me. I was saying by not bidding on auctions your not going through ebay. You are emailing people and asking will you lower the price and can I pick it up. Thats not using ebay IMO. I wasn't trying to be a dick BTW, I was/am just saying.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but local pickup has always been an aspect of eBay, thus the reason they allow you to search for auctions in your area. Since these guys had a shipping price listed at $40-50, but offered free shipping with BIN, I would say that I was perfectly within the bounds of what would be considered going through eBay. That's just my take on it though.

And does anyone know what day the 360 is supposed to re-launch at EB? I wonder if they will have consoles for sale, or only enough to fill the pre-orders... Also, does this mean we can expect shipments at other stores such as Best Buy? I need to hit up one of these places on the relaunch date, but ebagames.com and gamestop.com have conflicting release dates.

bread's done
Back